1

Truth or Dare

 

 

 

It was just another sunny day at school.

The sun was shining so brightly, and I had to walk across school’s soccer field to get into Biology laboratory. How nice is that? I guess my teacher was as lazy as he students to even move.

It would be a lot better if I could walk pass Wonwoo’s class, secretly taking some glances at him while he listens to his teacher. Or maybe scribbling something on his notebook. Or simply playing around with his friends. But unfortunately, his class was situated at the exact opposite direction with the lab.

Wonwoo is a year older than me and he is a senior. I forgot when exactly I started liking him. All I know was he is one of the coolest guy at school. He is tall and what I like the most from him is his eyes. His eyes were sharp and giving cold appearance, especially he is not the type who smiles a lot, but that makes him looked cooler.

“Chaewon, let’s go.” One of my friend, Sooyoung, called me. I quickly took my belongings and followed her out of our class.

“Uh, it’s so hot.” It felt as if the sunshine prickled our skin. I fanned myself with my book, while Sooyoung covered her head with a bundle of paper. I tilted my head slowly as I examined the paper. I felt like I forgot something... But what?

“Hey, what’s that?”

She pointed to the paper. “This? This is my group’s observation report.”

Oh.

Crap.

I left it at class. Geez. I hit my forehead with my palm, a bit too hard.

“Sooyoung I need to go back to class, can you bring my things there? Please?” I quickly gave her my belongings.

“Yeah, Grandma. Pretty sure you forget your group’s report, huh?” She stuck out her tongue at me, which I returned with a sheepish grin.

“Thanks Sooyoung!” I quickly ran back to my class.

Pft. I don’t understand how I could be so forgetful. I snatched the report from my bag and walked out from my class, almost stumbling into someone in the progress.

“Oh, Chaewon! What a coincidence!” It was Nayeon, my cousin. “Can you come with me for a while?”

“What for? I need to go to Biology lab and-“

“Just for a while. I promise.” She grabbed my hand and dragged me to her class’ direction.

She is in the same class with Wonwoo.

Somehow, I sensed something weird. And my heart pacing up its beat didn’t help anything at all.

“Here.” Nayeon announced to her friends, her hand still gripping on my wrist, and Wonwoo...he was standing between them. I had to force myself to not stick my gaze on him and instead, I looked at the tip of my shoes.

“Do it Wonwoo.” One of the girl—I don’t know her name, pushed Wonwoo’s back towards me softly, and I automatically took a step back.

“Jeon Wonwoo! Jeon Wonwoo!” They cheered. I threw a questioning glare at Nayeon and she just smirked. What’s that supposed to mean?

“Hey,” Wonwoo leaned a bit closer to me and talked in a dangerous low tone, making sure his friends couldn’t hear him. I swear I hoped I was buried in the ground right there, “this is just a stupid truth or dare game they make, okay?”

I chewed my lower lip and nodded quickly. My heart was beating really fast and everything around me just felt like they burnt themselves. Everything felt hot. My cheeks, especially.

Out of a sudden, Wonwoo knelt down with one leg in front of me. I had to hold back myself from screaming or widen my eyes. His eyes were landed on mine, as he softly spoke, “I like you, would you be my girlfriend?”

His friends—including Nayeon clapped their hands and cheered loudly. I chewed the inner part of my cheeks.

“No.” I quickly said. Wonwoo smiled lightly as he stood up and he threw his arms up.

“I’ve done it guys.”

“Let’s continue the game!”

“Yeay~ Thanks Chaewon! Bye!” Nayeon grinned, showing me her famous rabbit teeth. I flashed her a small smile and quickly bowed to her friends, since they are my senior. I was half running to the biology laboratory. Mixed up emotions made me feel nauseous. I didn’t know what to feel, either happy because my crush just confessed to me or sad because it was just truth or dare game, but I was clearly embarrassed. I hope Nayeon didn’t tell anything about me liking Wonwoo at people at her class because that would be death of me.

I swear I just wanted to disappear that day.

 

--

 

It’s been days since the incident. I had tried avoiding Nayeon and I didn’t reply her texts. I also avoided walking pass her class, just in case I meet her or Wonwoo.

I told Sooyoung what happened and she just pouted, telling me it was either tragic or a great opportunity.

“Chaewon.” Sooyoung poked my cheek.

“Hm?” I looked at her. We were buying ice cream from our favourite parlor just to make me feel a bit better.

“Your phone beeped.”

My eyebrows knitted in confusion as I open my text inbox. One from Nayeon, saying: “Jung Chaewon, you better reply me or you’ll regret it.”, and the other one was from an unknown number, saying: “Is this Jung Chaewon?”

“What’s wrong?” Sooyoung put her ice cream cup on my forehead. “Stop frowning.”

“Hey,” I pushed back her cup and rub my forehead slowly. “Do you know whose number is this?”

Sooyoung is a social butterfly. Her phone contacts is filled with a lot of people's numbers, juniors and seniors. She leaned over and looked at the number. She tilted her head slightly.

“No, I have no idea.”

I bit my lower lip as I typed a reply, “Yes. Sorry but who is this?”

“Who could that be? Is someone having a crush on you? Eyyy~” Sooyoung teased me, and I could only wrinkled my nose.

“That won’t be.”

It was right. Compared to Sooyoung, I’m nothing better. She has fair white skin, and has ideal body. She is very pretty. While my skin is a bit darker and I have a giant height. Beside of that, my face is just average.

It didn’t take a long time for me to have my phone beeped again, signalling a new message.

“Oh, a reply?” Sooyoung asked and I nodded quickly. My heart skipped a beat when the text finally opened.

“I’m Jeon Wonwoo, I’m in the same class with your cousin. Remember?”