Chapter 26

Transformed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Slices of the future

D.O was standing in a field swept with lilies, completely deserted except for the animals hiding in the tall grass and the trees.

He didn't know where he was exactly, but there was an aspect of familiarity to it.

Underneath the moonlight, D.O stood against the winds as they played amongst the trees. Although the place was foreign to him, D.O felt at ease so much that he threw back his head and reveled in the feeling.

It felt incredibly relaxing, and he almost wanted to shift so he could feel the wind course through his fur.

But he also wished-

“Kyungsoo!” A lyrical voice called out to him from across the field.

A smile spreading across his face, D.O looked through the grass to find his mate standing at the edge of the forest.

Close to the treeline, her pure white dress was stark against the dark greenery.

D.O’s heart fluttered.

Beautiful like a goddess, he watched in joy as her eyes turned into crescent moons while she laughed.

He couldn't believe that he had such an amazing mate. It turned his insides into mush and he only wanted to hold her in his arms.

At the same time he began to run through the grass, Ae Sook matched his pace to meet him.

He couldn't help but smiling.

Only meters away from her, the sky, already dark, suddenly turned pitch black.

Stopping in his place, he watched with dread as the moon was ripped from the sky and replaced with ominous clouds.

They rolled at an unphanthanable speed towards the field, and with worry, he turned to look at Ae Sook.

Mirroring his stance, Ae Sook stood still in the field, watching the sky brew overhead.

The darkness brought him unease, so he made a move to close the gap between Ae Sook and himself. But when he picked up his foot to make his first step, something prevented him from doing so. Startled, D.O looked down to his feet to find shackles, made out of vines and leaves, winding around his ankles.

“Ae Sook,” he called out, concern evident in his voice.

While he was nervous, Ae Sook was the epitome of tranquility as she gave him a sweet smile.

It calmed him a little, but then, a howl broke through the air. D.O whipped his head towards the trees, and to his alarm, a pair of red eyes illuminated in the brush.

As each second passed, a second, third, fourth, and then fifth pair of scarlet orbs all became evident against the greenery.

Horror filled D.O’s chest as each of the wolves poked their heads out from the treeline, their bodies now moving into the open field.

“Ae Sook,” D.O screamed at his mate, who was still standing in the field, oblivious. “Move!”

“What?” She hollered back. Her face was still bright with a smile, completely unaware of the danger right behind her.

With his hearing, D.O could make out the low growls of the wolves, a sign that they were ready to attack.

Panic firing in his body, D.O tried to lift his limbs in an attempt to run to Ae Sook, but it seemed the more he struggled, the more the vines pulled him down and secured him to the earth. Now, they curled around his torso, preventing him from going anywhere.

He felt completely helpless.

He begged her to run to him, to come to him as the wolves hunched their shoulders, gathering power in their pursuit.

Seeming to catch on, Ae Sook finally began to cross the distance between them.

Just when D.O thought that he could wrap his arms around her, a ferocious growl dispersed the clouds. Ae Sook was torn from his outstretched fingers, disappearing into the grass as the wolves fell upon her.

What followed next tore D.O’s heart into pieces.

The most heart wrenching, bloodcurdling cry rose into the air. Though he couldn't see, all he could hear were the cruel snarls of the wolves and Ae Sook’s defeated whimpers.

D.O struggled against the green fetters, putting all the strength he had into breaking free, but it was futile.

All D.O could do was stand there, a witness to his mate, and soul’s, mutilation.

Tears stung at D.O’s eyes, but he kept calling out for Ae Sook until his voice went raw.

Then, the night fell into silence, and with it, his shackles fell away while the wolves disappeared into thin air.

Suddenly free, D.O fell onto his knees, shaking, but it only took him a second to get to his feet. With only Ae Sook in his mind, he rushed towards the center of the field where he last saw her.

He ran until red filled his vision.

Laying on the ground, Ae Sook’s white dress was no scarlet with blood.

This couldn't be happening, D.O thought as his heart broke.

Reaching out with shaking fingers, D.O approached Ae Sook slowly, still harboring hope that this was just a joke and that she would stand up, laughing at him for falling for such a thing.

But the difference was that this time, she didn't.

D.O collapsed to the Ground, his eyes locked on Ae Sook as he traced her body, making note of every injury inflicted.

A torn jugular.

Gaping wounds on the arms.

Bites taken from the soft flesh of her sides.

D.O shuttered, his whole body now vibrating grief.

Tears finally let loose on a hot trail down his cheeks while his voice remained stuck in his throat.

Crawling over to Ae Sook, he took her cold body in his arms, cradling her to his chest.

He sobbed into her hair, his cries absorbed by her raven crown. Slowly, his tears fell onto her body, and unbeknownst to him, they began to wash the red away, converting her back to her pure, white self, unscared by any injuries.

“Kyungsoo,” a voice beckoned, so soft and airy that he thought it was the wind.

Picking his head up, he looked down to Ae Sook, who now, was completely devoid of any red.

Her skin radiated with a vibrant glow, and her sudden recovery shocked him.

Without opening her eyes, she whispered again, “Kyungsoo.”

D.O paused. “Ae Sook. Is that you? Are you alive?” He asked in a hoarse voice.

Leaning in, he peered at her face, which was as lovely and bright as it was just minutes before the chaos and nightmare ensued.

But then she opened her eyes.

Bright with scarlet, her once humble brown orbs radiated with a hatred he had never seen before.

They seemed to light with a type of hell fire.

“D.O you did this to me,” she accused, her voice increasing in intensity and speed with every word. “You tainted me. You killed me. It wasn't the wolves, it was you. D.O, YOU DID THIS,” she finally bellowed, her words bouncing in his head, and his heart.

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

D.O woke up gasping, fighting to bring oxygen into his lungs. Drenched in sweat, his body shivered with a panic and fear that he had never felt before.

“Ae Sook,” he called out, his voice weak at first.

But as his eyes settled on the unfamiliar surroundings around him, his calls became more urgent between breathes. “Ae Sook. Ae Sook? Ae Sook!”

His senses were still dazed, and his eyes wandered all over the place. As he searched with his disoriented vision for the familiar figure, the sound of a door opening sounded to his left,

Struggling to sit up, D.O tugged at the tubes holding him in place. He managed to rip a few out, but then hands radiating strength clamped on his arms, holding him down.

He fell back onto the bed as he tried to focus his vision so he could make out his surroundings, but as he fell back into his pillows, a fire began to burn in his left shoulder.

Hissing, he fought against the grip that held him down.

“D.O. D.O, can you hear me? It's just me, Baekhyun. You need to calm down.”

The voice almost sounded as if he was underwater and someone was trying to scream to him from above, all clogged and muffled.

But still, only one thought occupied his mind.

“Where's Ae Sook?” He asked, finally stilling at least by a bit.

Baekhyun fell silent, though he kept his grip for good measure.

“Is Ae Sook here?” D.O repeated, his voice pressing.

Baekhyun pressed his mouth into a thin line. “Ae Sook is still outside.”

“Outside where? I need to see her. Tell her to come here.”

“She's… missing. The Elders are out looking for her. She went after the wolves who shot you,” Baekhyun clarified, his voice deathly quiet and oddly calm.

Baekhyun let go of D.O’s arms slowly to sit beside him instead.

Free of Baekhyun’s grip, buzzing began to commandeer D.O’s hearing. Flashes of his dream came back to him, causing goosebumps to spread across him skin and anxiety to build in his gut.

If she was hurt, this was all going to be his fault. He couldn't bear it.

Once the sense of panic at Baekhyun’s words settled in, D.O took a hand to swipe at the rest of the tubes. Free of all the wires binding him to the bed, he rushed to his feet.

But then, the world began to swing.

Nonetheless, he tried to move towards the tilting door.

“Woah, what are you doing?” Baekhyun asked, his voice concerned. “You need to get back to bed. You're still recovering from the silver in your system.”

D.O didn't listen to him until a forceful grip settled on his biceps, preventing him from going forward.

“Leave me alone, Baekhyun, I need to go find Ae Sook,” D.O growled, shaking off Baekhyun’s hands from his shoulders.

But his friend’s hands reappeared in less than a second, even more forceful than before, blocking him from the door. “I understand that she's your mate and you want to make sure she's safe, but right now, you're still weak. Say you find her, and then you collapse, what are you going to do?”

D.O ignored Baekhyun’s rationale. “No, you don't understand. What if they got to her and killed her? I haven't even told her we’re mates yet and she’s out there, all alone,” D.O said, feverish.

“I know-”

“No, no you don't,” D.O cut him off. “I had a dream where she was dying. She was being torn apart by wolves. She was all bloody and lifeless-”

Suddenly, the breath was taken from D.O’s chest, like a deflating balloon, and then his knees turned to rubber.

He would have gone down if Baekhyun’s grip wasn’t holding him up.

“What's wrong, D.O? What is it?”

D.O would have answered, but Baekhyun’s voice and face swam before him.

Picking up on his symptoms, Baekhyun gave him a face. “I told you.”

In the next second, Baekhyun reached over to press a red button on the wall to call in an extra dose of serum. Almost immediately, a nurse came into the room. Baekhyun ushered D.O back to the bed, but even though he was weak, D.O still resisted.

“We’ll find her, I promise,” Baekhyun swore right before the medicine was dispersed into his veins.

Like a light, D.O was out, and he hated himself for it.

The only thing he could see as his mind faded into darkness was Ae Sook’s bloodied dress and her scarlet eyes.

 

<> <> <> <> <> <>

 

Ae Sook walked down the hallway of the hospital, Da Bin by her side.

She could feel the stares of the hospital staff, but she turned a blind eye to them.

The only thing she could feel was nervousness.

Even though she was close to D.O, Da Bin had to drag her into the hospital. It wasn't that she didn't want to visit him, but rather that she felt guilty.

Ae Sook believed he got shot because of her, and he wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for her.

She was still curious if he was alright or not, but that feeling was more underwhelming in comparison to her guilt.

When the two got to the end of the end of the hallway, right before the corner that would lead to D.O’s room, Ae Sook skidded to a halt. “I don't want to go,” she admitted to Da Bin.

The girl her friend. “But why? Everyone's been worried sick about you since no one could find you. I can't imagine what D.O thinks.”

“I don't feel like I belong there right now,” Ae Sook expanded.

“You are literally crazy. They need to see you right now. Plus,” Da Bin adds as she takes a long glance over Ae Sook’s form, “not to be mean, but you literally look like someone that walked out of a horror movie. You have no shoes, you're bleeding, and your dress is in tatters. You need to get looked at and changed before you give these poor nurses a heart attack.”

“I don't need a checkup. I can bandage myself,” Ae Sook dismisses.

“I didn't want to tell you before, and I don't know how you don't feel this, but I think you need a few stitches.”

Ae Sook turned her gaze over to her arm, which she knew was injured but hadn't paid it any attention up until now. With an open wound, blood was crusted on her shoulder along with a shallow gap that stung slightly.

When she turned back to Da Bin, her friend was wincing visibly.

"Poor you and poor Paulo Sebastian."
Ae Sook scrunched her eyebrows. "Who is that?"
"Your dress," Da Bin said, waving a hand at Ae Sook. "I think I need to give you a bulletproof one next time."
Ae Sook shook her head. "I hope there won't be a next time."
"And I hope you're right," Da Bin agreed as she would her hand around Ae Sook's good arm. "But hey, you're earring is still in. I commend you for that."
Ae Sook knew Da Bin was trying to distract her because she began to pull them around the corner.

“Da Bin, no,” Ae Sook started, but before she could stop her, Da Bin pushed Ae Sook into the hallway, exclaiming, “Look who I found.”

At the end of the corridor, Ae Sook could make out 5 figures huddled outside of a door, some sitting on benches, others standing.

As soon as she stepped foot into that hall, all 5 gazes snapped to her. Then, every member who was previously seated stood up to join the others. Normally, all that attention wouldn't have made her nervous, but in that moment, Ae Sook’s stomach flopped like a fish out of water.

While everyone stood in silence, Ae Sook could almost feel a sense of relief hanging in the air. Like she'd been missed.

But then Sehun spoke.

Giving a low whistle, he observed, “Damn, Ae Sook, you look rough.” But Sehun’s tone sounded incredulous, like he couldn't believe she was there.

Aware of her looks, Ae Sook gave him an exasperated sigh. “I've been told.” She cut a look to Da Bin who shied away with a smile.

“Like someone dragged you through a cheese grater,” a voice commented, particularly more annoying than usual. Stepping out from behind the crowd, Baekhyun appeared.

Ae Sook hooded her eyes. “Wow, thanks, Baekhyun, I appreciate the illustration.”

He shrugged. “As a werewolf, my eyes never fail me.”

Ae Sook made a face, her nose scrunched up in displeasure. Before Ae Sook could share a few choice words, Chanyeol rushed at her as he picked her up in his arms and held her close. Because of their height differences, Ae Sook could no longer reach the floor.

“Oh my god,” Chanyeol wailed, “Thank you so much for showing up. I thought you were going to die, then I was going to die. And you saved both of our lives. I'm so happy right now.”

Ae Sook, with her hands strapped to her side, couldn't exactly do or say anything in her position so she just waited patiently until Chanyeol set her down.

When he did, all of the wolves gathered around her in a circle, but only Suho spoke.

“I'm sure you have a lot to tell us about what happened.”

Ae Sook’s eyes darted to Da Bin’s.

“But I think there's something more important first. D.O is awake if you want to go talk to him.” Suho pointed to the door behind them.

“Well,” Baekhyun laughed darkly, “drugged, but awake.”

Ae Sook just stared at them, choosing not to say anything, and thankfully, Da Bin knew how to voice her concerns.

“Is he okay?”

“He will be, yeah. The type of silver they shot him with, especially in the place they shot him, was a bit tricky. We took it out and everything, but he just needs a few doses of serum to help him recover. That's why he's a bit loopy now,” Baekhyun illustrated with crossed eyes.

“But he's still alert enough to talk. So you can still visit him.”

Ae Sook knew they were making hints, telling her to go see him, but she had no motivation to move. It was like she was back in the field, when the man first stepped out from the bushes.

She let seconds go by before Da Bin made a move.

Linking their arms together, she said, “We’ll go see him together.”

The members looked confused, especially Kai, but as the two made their way down the hall, they moved out of the way to allow them to pass.

As soon as they passed the guys, Da Bin’s hand went from Ae Sook’s hand to her shoulder in a comforting pat.

“Thanks,” Ae Sook breathed.

“What are friends for?” Da Bin whispered back with a smile.

When they reached the door, Da Bin looked at Ae Sook. “Okay, but like, can you go in first? I feel awkward.”

Ae Sook laughed nervously. “This all awkward.”

“You’ll be fine,” Da Bin assured with another pat.

Without saying another word, Ae Sook took a leap of confidence and opened the door.

As soon as Ae Sook disappeared into the room, Da Bin caught at the swinging door.

But as she took a step to make her way into the room with Ae Sook, a hand fell on her wrist, holding her back.

Da Bin turned back in surprise to find Kai.

“Oh, hey,” she said.

“What happened to 15 minutes?”

Da Bin let out a laugh. “Oh, that.”

“Yeah, that.”

Da Bin looked up to his eyes, and with a start, she saw Kai’s eyes swimming with a dark emotion. And then, she began to notice it in his facial features, too. His mouth was set in a hard line, and more than ever, his jawline was accentuated as he clenched his teeth.

“What's wrong?” She asked as she pulled him over to the side of the hallway, away from the door.

“You left without protection, and for too long. What if something happened to you?”

“But it didn't.”

“But what if it did?” Kai fought back, his tone much more impatient than usual.

Da Bin’s Initial reaction was the widening of her eyes; her second was withdrawing her arm from Kai’s grasp to cross her arms over her chest.

“You know,” Da Bin began as she drew her gaze over Kai’s face, “I was looking for Ae Sook like the rest of you. And before, it's never been a problem if you weren't constantly by my side. So now what's up?”

For a second, Kai stood rigid and there was no sign of him moving. It almost looked like he wasn't breathing. But then, when Da Bin titled her head, Kai reached over to the space between them to pull Da Bin into his arms.

“Sorry for being a jerk,” he breathed into her hair, “but now I'm starting to think Ae Sook could have been right.”

Da Bin pulled back a little to look at Kai once she heard him. “About what?” She asked incredul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter