Chapter 1

The Hidden Past

Bang! Bang! Bang! A couple more shots echoed throughout the firing range. Caitlynn took off her ear protectors and clicked a switch to pull the target sheet upfront.

Clap! Clap! “Wow, not bad for a newbie.. A couple of perfect tens and near misses. Man, I wouldn’t want to cross you with a gun.” Turning around, I saw Alex strolling into the room.

“Well, I had a good instructor” I smirked. “What brings you here anyway? You’re rarely at HQ?” I said, grabbing a bottle from the side table and drained its contents down my throat.

“Tsk, tsk, Can’t I just come around to visit my favourite student?”

“Come on, what is it? Just spill.”

“I have some news for you” Alex’s voice suddenly took on a serious tone.” You want the good news first or the bad?”

“Stop it. I’m no longer a child. Spill.”

“Your appeal was rejected. He was ruled to be mentally unstable and sentenced to a mental institute instead…”

“WHAT?!”

“I know, but the defense ...”Alex’s words seemed to trail off…

“Caitlynn? Are you listening? “

“Sorry, Alex, but could you leave? I need some time alone...” With a nod, Alex silently left the room. Putting back my ear protectors on, I flipped the other switch to return the target sheet to its former position and continued to empty the magazine.

 

A Few Days Later

I need to talk to you. Can we meet at your favourite deli for dinner @ 8pm? My treat.

Reading the text, I glanced at my watch. 7.15pm. I took a quick shower and put on a black t-shirt with some form-fitting jeans. Slipping on my sneakers, I walked down the street to the meeting place. It was just a mere 5 minutes away from my home. The doorbell twinkled as I walked into the deli. I took a moment to take in the surroundings, never getting tired of that warm atmosphere. The deli was like a comfort zone to me. Modeled after an old Victorian library and decked out with cozy armchairs placed around small round tables, one could be immersed in a book there for hours. I glanced at my watch. 5 to 8pm. Just on time.

 

Looking around, I spotted Alex sitting at a corner, waiting for my arrival.

“Why are you always arriving early than me?”

“Guess I was trained to do so?” he replied with a grin. “I’ve already ordered food. The usual, chicken ravioli?”

“You know me so well. So, what do you want to talk about?”

“Here”, Alex slid a thick envelope across the table to me. “You know you’re not safe right? He still has existing contacts in hiding. He’ll try to find you again.” We paused our conversation as the waiter brought us our dishes.

“So, since you are half-Korean, I reached out to some of my contacts in South Korea. Under an alias, you would be able to lead a normal life as a university undergrad. Details are all in there.”

The envelope contained a new passport, student visas, and other documents.

“Wow, how did you get these done?”

“Let’s just say they owed me a favor. Are you willing to do this?”

“If you can assure me that my family’s protected when I’m gone, it’s a deal”

“Ok, let’s eat then.”

 

 

Seoul, South Korea

“Hyung, don’t you feel that life is so dull? We are constantly following our schedules. There’s no excitement.” I asked while looking out of the window, as we travelled to the next schedule.

 “What do you mean there’s no excitement in our lives? We’re often going overseas for performances and concerts, appearing in variety shows, trying to avoid crazily obsessed fan girls…You call this lifestyle boring?  “

“I know, is just that we’re so used to these, it starts to become so mundane. Nothing seems to surprise us anymore. “

“Minho, you’re thinking too much again. Get some rest. We still have a variety show recording after this performance.”

Wish I had some excitement in my life. Minho’s thoughts trailed off, as he tried to get some rest.