Chapter 2

The Hidden Past

Yay! 2 subscribers!! At least it’s a headstart! SidusAudrey & IrislovesSHINee, thanks so much for the much-needed encouragement!! Here’s the second chapter for you.

 

Within a few days, I was packed and ready to leave. It was surprisingly easy to break the news to my family that I was going to Korea to start anew. As both of my parents were running their own business, they were constantly abroad, they did not seem to mind my decision. Alex was supposed to accompany me to Korea to meet his contact, Tim. Tim was a police detective working for Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. Under my alias, I was Chloe Kwon, a university undergraduate who was transferring to Seoul University to continue my business degree. On the day of my departure, my sister surprised me by offering to take me to the airport. Initially, she was against the idea of me leaving, but eventually gave in, as I was determined to leave. With both of our parents abroad most of the time, my sister, being six years older than me, became more of a mother to me. After that incident, she became even more protective of me; and wanted me to move in with her family. I stubbornly refused to move in, as I did not want to become a burden to her husband and child.

There was an awkward silence in the car, as her husband drove us to the airport. I sat in the backseat with my adorable niece sleeping with her head on my lap. When we finally reached the airport, Alex was already there waiting for us. He took my suitcases and gave me some time to be alone with my family. “You should talk to them. You don’t know how long you’ll be away.”I took a deep breath and glanced at my family. Turning to my sister, words just simply would not come out of my mouth.

“You know, you don’t have to go. It’ll be safe to move with us. We’ll-”

“We’ve already discussed this, Sis. It’ll be safer this way.”

“But-”

“You just have to take good care of your lovely husband and child. I’ll be fine. We’ll still be able to contact each other via email right?”

“Fine. Promise me that you’ll keep in contact with us. If I don’t hear from you within a week, I’ll fly there to find you myself.”

“I promise. I’ll be fine.” Looking at the three of them, with her husband carrying their child in one arm and another around her waist, they looked like a happy family. I did not want to put any of them in danger. This decision was for the best.  I waved goodbye as I boarded the plane. As the plane was about to lift off, I plugged in my headphones into my iPod and started to doze off. I had somehow managed to sleep throughout the duration of the flight. When we landed in Korea, Tim was already waiting for us at the airport. It took a little persuasion for them to allow me to explore Seoul by myself.

 With my new-found freedom, I decided to check out the apartment I’ll be living in. According to the documents Alex gave me, the apartment was said to be located in a building with moderate security as several celebrities lived in that building too. Taking a cab into the city, it was a long hour’s drive before the driver stopped outside the entrance.

“This is the furthest I’m able to go miss.” I paid the driver and dragged my heavy luggage to the front of the security gate. Keying in the security code that Alex had given me earlier, the heavy door swung open. Inside, I was greeted by a lobby decked out in classy interior. I dragged my two suitcases to the lift landing just in time for the lift doors to slide open. There were already a few people waiting in the lift.

 “Sorry...” I mumbled as I tried to drag both suitcases into the lift. To my huge embarrassment, one of the wheels of the larger suitcase got stuck between the grooves of the lift doors. Tugging at it with all my might, the suitcase did not even bulge.

“Here, let me help you.” A pair of strong hands lifted my suitcase into the lift just in time before the doors closed. “Thanks”, I looked up into the face of a tall, young male. Wow, he’s really handsome.

 

I decided to end the chapter with a cliffhanger. Any guesses on the knight in “shinee-ing” armor?