I/III

when it happens, i'll be miles away

 

“All we do is sit in silence waiting for a sign”

 

***

It’s a little nook hidden downtown, which, at first glance, looks somehow better suited to a beachy side-street. The sign above the doorway is a simple, light blue and white header which reads, QUENCH: Fresh Juice To-Go.

Inside, it smells like medicine cabinets, but the blackboard with the daily specials and prices looks promising—glowing with all sorts of colours, like the juices being passed over the counter. One of the girls behind the serving bench grabs the latest juice placed in the finished order area and holds it aloft. “Veggie Booster for, uh, Kai?” she calls.

“That’s me.”

Someone near the far window raises his hand. The girl happens to catch his eye just as he raises his head. She stares for a moment, caught off guard, then clears as he approaches. “Green juice,” she notes. “I thought you didn’t like vegetables.”

“I thought we wouldn’t see each other again.”

No pause this time as her lips purse. She shoves the drink, a little too hard, into his chest. “Enjoy your drink.” She raises her eyes and voice. “Can I help anyone?”

He moves back into her vision. “Yeah, me.” His mouth twitches, but his eyes remind her of late-night drives. “What time do you finish?”

 

***

 

“Hmm.” Her gaze is focused on the floor, blue linoleum, as the phone pressed up against her ear begins to feel like it’s burning. She’s not quite sure if it’s her skin or the lit screen pressed up against it. “I don’t know, Kai... You know how my parents are. They would never let me out this late with you. Especially since it’s just us.”

“Come on,” he begs. “They know me.”

A faint smile touches her lips. “Doesn’t change the fact that you’re a boy.”

“Krystal...”

“It’s not that I don’t want to go,” she tries to assure him, clearly hearing the first strains of frustration in his tone. “It’s just—”

“Babe.”

Sharp intake of breath. “Yes?”

“I’m sorry, I don’t... I don’t want to make you feel like I’m forcing you into anything. I mean, you can do what you want, really, but I just really want—” Kai stops abruptly, exhaling like a wince. “I’m sorry. Forget about it.”

“Hey, no, wait.” Krystal’s voice is soft, but her hand clutches the phone tightly, burning white like the core of a branding iron. “I’ve thought of something. Pick me up at 8 at the end of my street.”

 

***

 

Eleven-thirty. Bell clangs for early recess, and Krystal spots her chance.

“Hey, Kai,” she says the second she sees him. He jumps when he sees that Krystal has blocked his way. “Can I talk to you for a second?”

Kai’s eyes are wide as he tries to process what is happening quick enough to give her a reply in time. “Um, yes, okay,” he manages eventually.

“Great.” Her eyes flash. “Let’s walk this way.”

They make their way around the skirts of the classrooms, down to the trees at the back of the playing fields, their steps slow. “So...” Krystal begins. “I’ve heard about this rumour.” Her eyes follow him closely, watching for any sign which might betray him. “I’m not saying you started it, but I know you know about it, and I also know that you’ve done nothing to deny it.”

“What are you talking about?”

Krystal comes to a sudden halt, drawing her hands up onto her hips. She stands at a much shorter height than him, but they way her eyes pierce his almost make him shrink back. “Don’t act like you don’t know.”

“Know what?”

“Okay, I’ll just get to the point, then, shall I?” Krystal is the picture of sarcasm as her eyes roll. “People are saying that I like you. You’ve heard the rumour, and have been avoiding me, which means you think it’s true.” Her eyes narrow. “I’m here to tell you it’s not.”

Kai blanches, triggering an upwards perk in the corner of Krystal’s mouth. “So you knew.” She turns to walk away, but after a few steps, she turns back, smiling. “And now you know better.”

 


A/N (2/10/15): Yep, another non-linear story! The timeline will be clear soon. Feels good to be writing again :)