Chapter One: Pro Se

Acquittal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pro Se
For one's own behalf; in person. Appearing for oneself, as in the case of one who does not retain a lawyer and appears for himself or herself in court.

Yifan is on his own, living his own life, successful in his own way, making a name in the world
Jongdae is still with Exo, gaining popularity, and having the same amount of success the group is well known for, as well as some fame for himself
They don't know it yet, but they're about to reunite for the first time since May of 2014....


After leaving Exo, Yifan found himself enthralled in nothing but legal battles. Yes, he'd expected it, but it didn't make having to go to court any less daunting. It did, however, strike an idea in him. Call it rebellion, call it a form of masochism if you will. He'd heard the rumors, he knew it wouldn't be easy, but instead of just having no life and no career after Exo, Yifan decided to pursue law school. He couldn't explain his justifications. He'd always been level-headed for the most part during an argument, and had a firm belief system of what was just in this world. Why waste a talent like that? After having to see it for himself, Yifan found he also had a bit of a passion for it. There were others out there, like himself, needing someone to represent them the same way his own lawyer had. It may even be an idol who needed help someday. Who knew? Inspired, he chased the idea. It took time, month after month of grueling and downright exhausting work. He'd forgone a part-time job, choosing to stay with his family to save money, and had simply focused his days on studying; it was hell. He lost social connections and by the end of it all, he'd transformed himself into this hardworking, stubborn, and very determined individual. His former bandmates would probably not even recognize him, this keen businessman, who used to be nothing more than a dorky, careless idol whose main talent was rapping. 
It had worked. All of the effort put into school, and pulling extra hours to graduate early had gotten Yifan exactly where he wanted. He was now an established legal advisor, which was a step up. A few months after graduation, following the dean's personal recommendations, he'd found himself a home firm and worked 9 to 5 like the average businessman. There was just one problem with this scenario; The firm wanted him to handle foreign relations with both China and Korea. 
It was Monday, of course it was a Monday of all days to be having to do this, and Yifan found himself quickly strolling the streets of Seoul, cellphone pressed to his ear, determined to get this case settled soon so he could go back to Canada. He'd already been here two days successfully. The goal was to meet with and collaborate with a Korean lawyer on this particular case, Yifan just had to tie them together via the legal assistant team, being that he spoke fluently enough to do so.  This was hopefully the last day they needed to meet to finish some paperwork, which he held firmly against his side in a leather briefcase. If he was worried about being recognized, surely this attire would see to it that he really wouldn't be. They were to meet for coffee today, he and Mrs.Song Shin Hye, which was how he found himself entering the thankfully mildly crowded establishment at two in the afternoon. Deciding to order for himself, seeing as the woman was running behind, he stood in the queue, patiently, messing around on his phone to pass the time. 
He wasn't paying attention, if he had of been, he might have made the connections. The familiar sights, sounds, smells, even the street he'd walked on to get here. He'd been there before, many times. He'd realize that this tiny mistake meant all the difference in the world between being here unseen and immediately being recognized and by very specific people. But, he never once predicted who he'd run into, and fate has a funny way of working. 
"Yifan...?" there was absolutely no mistaking the voice that had just called out to him, and Yifan froze, slowly glancing up from the screen in his palm. The words slipped out of his mouth, barely above a whisper when his eyes fully recognized the one speak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter