Look At Him:

Monster

Tick tack, tick tack, tick tack...

The sound of her shoes echoed around the white walls and filled the corridor. She tried not to let any sort of self-awareness or emotion show on her face - she was here because she had a job to do, not to be self-concious. She couldn't let her guard down, especially in a maximum-security prison.

She showed the guard her badge and he nodded. The gate buzzed once before the burly man swung it open and waved her through.

This room was just like every other - white with headache-inducing flourescent lighting. There was a line of visiting booths in the middle. Each one had two sides separated by a sheet of (what she assumed to be) bullet-proof glass. A telephone that connected to its twin on the other side of glass hung at each station.

Another guard stopped her just inside the room and patted her down again. She was allowed to bring her taser with her, but that was it. After all when they say "maximum-security," they mean it.

"Wait here, miss. The prisoner will be in shortly." The guard stepped back and she remained where she was. A nagging, nervous feeling was tugging at her gut, but she quickly dismissed it. Soon, a figure wearing an orange jumpsuit shuffled in on the other side of the visiting booths. The chains around his legs rattled in time with his slow, deliberate steps, and he kept his gaze even. The officer behind him unlocked the cuffs around his wrists and sat him down, motioning for her to come over and sit on the other side of the glass.

She approached slowly, lowering herself into the chair all while locking gazes with him. The force of his stare was practically enough to knock the wind out of her, but she held her ground. His black hair was much longer than in his mugshot, and it fell over his eyes. This was Kim Myungsoo, the man currently holding the blame for numerous murders in the area.

He didn't say a word. It was like he was waiting, watching her every move. He's a strategist, she decided. His next move will be careful, calculated. You've got a job to do, might as well get this part over with. She decided it would be in her best interest to cut to the chase. He didn't seem like the kind of person who enjoyed beating around the bush.

"I've been looking over your case again, Myungsoo. There was something that didn't seem right, so I thought I'd come here and try to tie up a few, erm, loose ends, as it were." She was speaking evenly through the phone. He held his receiver lazily, allowing it to dangle from the chord by his ear. He casually flipped it around to speak into the phone.

"Mind telling me why you're only looking at this now, even though I've already had three trials and been sentenced to death row? You're a little late, detective." His voice was cold. She could tell he was planning his every word.

"Because this oddity didn't show up until your last trial."

"And what 'oddity' was that?"

"That they found you unconcious, and you had claim to have no recollection of the event."

"You mean the murder. Don't be afraid to say it in front of me, Detective, I'm not exactly sensitive. In any case, they said it was head trauma, not innocence."

"Head trauma from your supposed black out, yes. The forensics team originally assigned to your case claimed that you were weak and subsequently fainted, hitting your head on the sidewalk."

"And?"

"I had my team give the x-rays another look and they said the injury occured before your fall, not after, and in a completely different area from where you hit the sidewalk. Someone knocked you out, and most likely framed you."

He sighed and leaned forward.

"Look, Detective, I appreciate the help. But in all honesty, do you really think people will believe you? Just because you're a cop doesn't mean you can convince people I'm not a serial killer. People don't exactly just walk away from death row."

"That could all change. I know you're sick of answering questions, but I just need one more answer and then I'm gone. You can go back to moping in your cell."

"Whoever said I was moping?" He smirked.

"Just answer my question."

"You haven't asked it." That chilling half-smile never left his face. He had to admit, this cop had him hooked. She was... intriguing, to say the least.

"Were you lying when you said you don't remember what happened that night?" She searched his eyes, looking for any sort of shift in body language that might be a giveaway. His expression remained cold.

"No."

She sighed and nodded. That was all she would be getting out of Kim Myungsoo that night, and she knew it.

"If you'd like, I can come back when I have more information."

"That is entirely up to you, detective."

They each put the phones back on their hooks. She stood up and took out her badge. He was hoisted to his feet and handcuffed, keeping his eyes locked with hers the whole time. She gave him an equally even gaze before he was turned around and led back out of the visiting room to his holding cell. She sighed and made her way out of the prison.

Well, that conversation certainly didn't go anywhere. Either way, she knew he was hiding something. It would take a while, but eventually, she'd get it out of him.

 

 

 

 

 

----------------

Consider this a teaser for now, I guess? The next chapter might take me a long time to write because I'm going to try and cram as much as I can in there. Chapter 2: a visit, a phone call, a final visit, a trial, two verdicts, and a request.

So what do you think? I swear, it should get more interesting. At least, I think it will... And I apologize if she doesn't seem all that tough right now. She's supposed to be, so just keep in mind that she's tough. (What am I saying? I'm not making any sense anymore. Roo is going crazy!)