2/?

The Fugitives
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I love you."

 

It means to proceed with caution.

 

 

 

“Did they manage to escape?” A guard asks another.

 

“Seems like it.”

 

 

 

Ironically, the only best disguise for them is to act as lovers.

 

 

 

“You know, I really do loathe this code.” Myungsoo tells Sungjong, clearly expressing how much it kills him every time he says it. “But we decided on it together so,”

 

 

 

“We both agreed that it is perfectly comprehensible and there is no risk of using any of the phrases by mistake. Is it not, L?”

 

 

 

“I know, Chorongie.”

 

 

 

Those are names they made for each other, as part of the codes, so they will have no trouble of being overheard by anyone when they call for each other in public. 

 

 

Sungjong returns Myungsoo’s ivy cap and wraps himself with his original disguise, the hood. They then cautiously make their way to escape, with Myungsoo leading the way. Occasionally making the both of them halt when there is a guard nearby.

 

 

Sungjong then remembers that time when his father tells him to stay away from the Kims. All because they are long-time enemies, the family’s trading rival. He even threatened to kill me and himself if he gets the least bit friendly with them. He says it will act as an apology to their ancestors.

 

 

Sungjong can’t help but feel pain in his heart when he remembers that.

 

 

 

“Don’t worry, dad. The me right now is not your Sungjong, but Chorong. Like you, I really do despise the house of Kim. I really do so much that I-” He unconsciously picks up a nearby urn in the shop they got in to and grips it in anger. “That I am considering killing him right here!”

 

 

 

“W-what are you planning to do with that urn, Chorongie, my love?” Myungsoo has never felt such strong murderous intent until now, his forehead starting to drip with sweat.

 

 

 

“We are here to buy some masquerades, correct?”

 

 

 

“Yah! That is not something you ought to scream at the top of your lungs.”

 

 

The two of them have started looking for their new disguises in the shop, without staying that far away from each other. Basically, no matter where one goes, the other one follows.

 

 

 

“Words must have reached Woollim by now.” Sungjong, now talking in a very low voice, started.

 

 

 

“Hmm?” Myungsoo somehow replied, to tell the younger man that he is listening while he looks for a new ivy cap.

 

 

 

“Everyone must be worried about this incident…”

 

 

 

“Worried?” Myungsoo scoffs. “Well, at least none of our family members will believe the part that we are accomplices. At any rate, the day my old man thinks I am in cohorts with you will be the day he sends assassins after me in tears.”

 

 

 

So will my father…  Sungjong shudders at the memory of his conversation with his dad when he was younger.

 

 

"I will kill you and then commit suicide!"

 

 

 

“To tell you the truth,” Sungjong stops trying on new hoods to listen to what Myungsoo has got to say. “I do not understand why our families hate each other so much. What is it about us that you hate so much? I suppose you might hate someone because they hate you, but no matter how much I am resented, I do not particularly…” Myungsoo turns to face the other, and was stopped when he sees the disguise Sungjong has been putting on.

 

 

 

“Ah, if such is your idea of disguise, perhaps I start to see the sense in hatred.” The disguises he is pertaining to are the heart shaped glasses and the rabbit ears headband that Sungjong has just put on.

 

 

Myungsoo sighs then returns to his own hunt for new ivy caps. Tch. With him as the heir, the house of Lee is bound to be doomed. He is going to be a horrible tradesman.

 

 

Sungjong, on the other hand, picks up a mirror and has also got lost in his own train of thoughts. Why do I hate him so much? Well, that is because…

 

 

However, his inner thoughts were stopped when he sees a man showing a piece of paper to the saleslady in the mirror’s reflection. He was about to ignore it when he realizes that the lady was quietly pointing at them.

 

 

Oh no! The warrant!

 

 

 

“L!”

 

 

 

We have been found! We need to run!

 

 

Myungsoo was currently trying on a top hat when he returns his attention back to him. “I’m madly…”

 

 

 

“Eh?”

 

 

 

“…In… In... Love…” Damn it! Why can’t I say it!

 

 

 

“What? What are you trying to say?”

 

 

 

"Those two are the thieves!" Myungsoo could have waited for Sungjong to finish whatever he was trying to say. However, two guards has already barge in and run up to them.

 

 

Sungjong instinctively reaches for the urn he was holding a while back and throws it on one of the guards, who luckily catches it. “What the?! Hey, you shouldn’t use an urn for throwing!”

 

 

 

“Let’s have tea in the garden!” Meaning they must escape through the back door.

 

 

 

"All right!”

 

 

 

And both of them made a run for it.

 

 

 

‘I am madly in love with you’ is the signal to run immediately.

It doesn’t have other meaning but Sungjong couldn’t imagine that it was that hard to say.

 

 

 

“I really do loathe this code.”

 

 

 

Now that Sungjong thinks about it, he has never used it before. It had always been Myungsoo who says

Please log in to read the full chapter