Trois.

Grand Pas de Deux

3.

There’s a purple bruise on Yixing’s neck that has come to represent a source of embarrassment and shame for the senior dancer. He tries desperately to cover it with make-up, courtesy of Krystal, before the performance starts and Krystal has to reassure him that no one will notice. She kisses him on the cheek with a bright smile, squeezes his hand and promises that everything will be fine. Krystal has no idea why she’s promising this to Yixing, she doesn’t even know why he has a mark like that on his neck (she simply assumes it was from last night), but she won’t ask questions, because she respects him. They are friends after all and for that, Yixing is most thankful to have someone as sweet and caring as her in his life.

“What would I do without you?” Yixing sighs and presses a kiss to her cheek making her giggle, “Thank you.”

“Come on,” Krystal laughs taking his hand, “We have a performance to do!”

Yixing manages the performance without a hitch, mostly. He stumbles a lot more than in the first night, but he keeps himself from doing anything that would be noticeable to anyone in the audience or to the juniors in the company. These beats don’t go amiss to Jongin, of course, and he notes every single one while he dances. He’s not focused on himself as usual, but he still hits every move with accuracy, because he’s practiced it enough to know just how to do these simple moves. He can’t seem to understand why it is that someone like Yixing can screw up so much and still get the lead parts.

Under the pale glow of the spotlights, Jongin catches sight of something on Yixing’s skin that surprises him as he turns. The brief eye contact they make is enough to make their breath hitch and Jongin remembers a faint memory from last night where Yixing was beneath him, but he can’t be too sure if it was a dream or not. It’s shaken from him when he notices the purple splotch on his neck and he’s suddenly jealous.

“He’s got a bruise on his neck,” Jongin whispers to Sehun between scenes, “What the hell is that all about?”

Sehun rolls his eyes, “Do you really not remember anything from last night?”

Jongin groans, “I was wasted, Sehun, just tell me.”

“I don’t really remember what happened either,” He shrugs, “But I do remember him being close with Krystal.”

Krystal. Jongin vaguely remembers Yixing and the way he grinded against Krystal. They were both pretty breathless and their bodies were flushed and sweaty in the dim lighting of the club. He wants to throw up, because he doesn’t remember what happened after that. He had lost sight of Yixing after arguing with him in the bathroom. At least he thinks they were arguing, it’s all too fuzzy. Before anything does come back into his memory, he’s out on the stage again dancing and wondering who would have touched Yixing like that.

The second night’s performance comes to an end and there’s only one more until the company starts work on the ballet for next month. Someone suggests that they go out again to celebrate and Krystal asks if Yixing will go with her again. Jongin doesn’t stick around to find out his answer, because he figures he’ll say yes and that they’ll disappear from his sight again at the club. He goes home instead. But so does Yixing as he politely declines going out for the night, the thoughts of the night before swirling in his head and he doesn’t want that again. Sehun happily escorts Krystal to the club then and he promises to take good care of her.

Swan Lake is performed without a single flaw, that the audience would have noticed anyway. All the faults lay within Yixing’s surprisingly faltered performances and it shocks Krystal when he limps off the stage. His leg had been under so much stress after the accident and this is the end for him, he feels. Boa is just as surprised as everyone else when she watches Yixing stumble and fall onto his knees in pain, because it’s just too much for him to handle anymore.

The way that Jongin’s eyes light up at the sight of Yixing hobbling out of the hall should probably frighten him, because there’s no way that anyone should be this happy to see anyone in pain. He can’t help it, because this is all that he’s wanted for a long time now - to have a chance as a lead. With Yixing on the way to the hospital with Krystal, he sees it as his chance to reach his dreams. He declines Sehun’s invite to go downtown and instead ends up at the company’s studio late into the night practicing until he’s sore all over.

❦❦❦

“Why didn’t you tell me you’d injured yourself?” Luhan asks and it’s clear to Yixing that he’s mad with him.

“I didn’t want to worry you,” Yixing admits, but it’s only half the truth.

“I’m your best friend,” Luhan frowns and jabs his finger into Yixing’s ribcage, “I’m always worried about you.”

“Hey!” Yixing pushes Luhan’s hand away as best he can while hobbling on crutches down the sidewalk, “Not so hard! I’m injured here.” he whines and Luhan snickers.

“I’m just glad we have some time now to visit Minseok…” Luhan catches the way Yixing eyes him and the smirk growing on his friend’s face before he concludes, “...’s cafe. Minseok’s cafe.”

Yixing snorts, “Yah, open the door for me Lu-ge.”

"Hopeless,” Luhan teases as he pulls open the worn, wooden door, the bell overhead jingling as he does so.

The cafe isn’t small, but it certainly feels that way - it’s cozy and dimly lit and the seats are close to each other. The cafe is a deep shade of brown, the sofas, chairs and tables are all mismatches, but there’s some charm and warmth that comes with it. The rich shade of mochas and the creamy colours of milk are the themse for the decor and it makes for the most beautiful setting. The left-hand wall is covered in newspaper clippings, inspiring quotes and sticky notes left behind by customers. There are wooden bookshelves that line the far right-hand wall filled with poetry, newspapers, magazines and other light-reading material. Most of them, Yixing notes, seem to be the ones that Minseok had been collecting over the years when he first spoke of becoming a barista and opening his own shop. It makes Yixing smile, because Minseok’s dreams are coming true and he’s more than happy for his close friend.

At the very back of the cafe there’s a brick-face wall with a large, electronic fire place surrounded by large, comfy chairs and a coffee table and just off centered, nearing the right-hand corner, is the bar. Minseok stands there with a line of customers that stretches well past what he ever thought he would receive. Yixing tries to strain his neck to try and see his friend, but all he catches is a glimpse of the tufted, deep brown hair and the chalk board above his head listing the prices and the specials of the day. Luhan cranes his neck too, probably looking for Minseok’s face, but he brushes that off when Yixing brings it up. Instead, he claims that he was trying to read the board. It’s nearly ten minutes in line when they finally reach Minseok’s counter and they can see the array of cakes and cookies on display in the window. Luhan’s mouth instantly waters at the sight of the almond cookies Minseok once tested on him and Yixing.

“You guys made it!” Minseok beams and leans forward on the counter, there are two other baristas behind him that he’s trained for a long time now and they continue to make drinks busily.

“Of course,” Yixing chuckles, “It took us awhile, I’m sorry about that.”

Minseok shakes his head, “No worries, you guys have your jobs too.”

“This place is wonderful.” Luhan blurts suddenly, a blush on his face and it make Minseok smile a gummy grin.

“Thanks, Hannie,” he says before drumming his fingertips on the counter, “What can I get you both?”

“A white hot chocolate for me,” Yixing says before taking a peek at the case of sweets, “And maybe a slice of the marble cake.”

“I’ll take a mocha,” Luhan says, his lips, “and-”

“Almond cookies, right? You like those.” Minseok laughs and leans closer and rests his hand over Luhan’s wrist, “I made them this morning, because I knew you were coming, Hannie.”

Luhan squeaks and nods his head before pulling his arm away. Minseok can’t help that giggle that escapes him as he turns to prepare their drinks. He leaves the bar to his two very capable baristas, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and takes the tray of drinks and desserts to his two friends who have situated themselves on the chairs in front of the fireplace. Minseok carefully sets the tray down on the coffee table there and joins them, sitting close to Luhan just to watch him shift awkwardly.

“White hot chocolate for you,” Minseok hums as he hands the tall black mug with the creamy white liquid to Yixing. “And a mocha for you,” he smiles as he gently lays the wide white mug filled with dark liquid and topped off with fluffy white cream in Luhan’s hands, “And a latte for me!” he giggles then as he picks up a brown mug filled with a caramel coloured liquid, bringing it to his lips.

“This is delicious,” Yixing sighs happily, “I wish I’d have come here sooner.”

Minseok laughs and pushes the plate of cake towards his young friend, “Taste that.”

Yixing gratefully accepts the slice of cake and punctures it with a small fork, taking the first bite. The texture is smooth and the batter is fluffy in his mouth, the rich chocolates of the mixture contrasting nicely against the sweetness of the vanilla. Yixing smiles as he chews and then sticks his tongue out to up the frosting he knows he got on his upper lip in his excitement to eat such a dessert.

“This is truly your calling, Minnie.” Yixing says as he takes another, bigger bite of the cake.

Minseok can only laugh as he brings up a small almond cookie in his hand, “Open up, Hannie.” he singsongs.

Luhan is perhaps too eager to oblige as he lets his lips part for Minseok to push the cookie into his mouth. Minseok watches with wide, sparkling eyes, waiting for Luhan to give his approval of the pastry. It doesn’t take long for the delightfully crunchy cookie to be gone and for Luhan to smile brightly at Minseok, like he’s died and gone to Heaven.

“Perfect,” Luhan sighs in bliss, “You’re perfect.”

Yixing tries his best to hide the snort that comes out his nose, but it doesn’t seem to work. The pink blush spreading across Luhan’s cheeks makes Minseok smile ever brighter than before and he can only send a wink to Yixing as if in thanks for allowing his two friends to get closer. Luhan tries to cover the blush on his face by hiding behind his cup, sipping the warm coffee, but all he manages to do is get whipped cream all over his nose.

“Oh!” Minseok giggles, “Hannie, you’ve made a mess,” he reaches for a napkin and brings it to Luhan’s face, “Let hyung clean you up.”

Hyung,” Luhan whines, but lets Minseok wipe the cream from his face anyway.

It’s moments like these that makes Yixing forget. He forgets that he’s on crutches and he’ll grow to forget that he ever made such a mistake. It’ll take time for his ankle to heal, he already knows this, so he’s accepted the fact that the next ballet will not be given to him. As Luhan complains about being embarrassed and Minseok continues to coo in his ear, Yixing’s thought wander. He suddenly thinks of Jongin and he wonders for a moment if he’ll be happy to receive the next lead position.

❦❦❦

Jongin is ecstatic. He’s practically vibrating with excitement when he receives the part as the lead in the upcoming show. Krystal is a little less enthused, because she was so hoping to dance with Yixing again. Not that she doesn’t believe that Jongin is a great dancer, he really is, but she knows that he doesn’t dance with all his heart like Yixing does.

“You need to smile more,” Krystal says after practicing, stretching out on the floor, “You’re supposed to be happy and in love.”

Jongin sighs and rolls his eyes, “How am I supposed to manage smiling when I’m busy concentrating?”

Krystal frowns and grumbles a quiet, “Yixing can do it.”

“What was that?” Jongin shoot and Krystal looks up at him with a narrowed eyes.

“Yixing can do it.” she repeats with a slight irritation in her voice.

“Well, I’m not exactly Yixing.” Jongin says in annoyance.

“Then why do you always try so hard to be him?” Krystal asks before standing on her feet.

Silence fills between them and Krystal leaves with a huff towards the showers. Her words stir something in Jongin and it just makes him angrier. Not at her, particularly, but at Yixing. Will he always be compared to him? He wonders if he’ll ever be able to make a name for himself while that man is still around. He figures that he’s most likely not going to when Yixing shows up after only a few weeks of sick leave.

“Just because I’m not the lead, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t come to practice.” Yixing laughs when Luhan asks what on earth it is that he’s doing in the studio.

Boa smiles at him, it’s possibly the biggest grin Yixing has ever seen on her face and it’s a little intimidating, “You have no idea how glad I am to see you! We’ve missed our lead dancer.”

Jongin grunts under his breath and looks away the minute Yixing’s eyes land on him.

“I’m no longer the lead dancer though,” Yixing smiles, “Jongin is.” he says as he gestures to the young dancer whose head snaps up almost immediately at the sound of the sincere voice.

“Yes, but, it would be nice to have you on the stage with all of us.”

“Mm,” Yixing nods his head, eyes still stuck on Jongin who is definitely staring back at him, “I might not be able to perform with you all this month, but I look forward to watching.”

Jongin gulps and Sehun nudges his arm roughly, “That’s some pressure for you, hey Jongin? The studio’s best dancer will be watching your every move.”

Pressure is part of it, but when a wave of heat washes over his body and goes straight to his groin, he thinks briefly that maybe he wouldn’t mind Yixing watching him closely. He’ll show him exactly what he’s made of.

Another month goes by and Yixing is finally able to get back up on his feet, and he’s never felt better. It’s not until everyone is long gone home that Yixing leaves the studio. He hums to himself in contentment as he enters the locker room with a towel slung around his neck and sweat drenching his tank-top. He feels great, dancing is his one vice and it makes him happy.

His locker door creaks open and squeaks, above all of that noise, Yixing barely notices that one of the shower stalls is occupied. When he does finally notice the sound of water hitting the floor, he wonders who could possibly still be here, but he figures it’s Jongin. Not that he’s seen him since practice ended, but if anyone stays as late as Yixing, if not later, it’s him. He decides it might be courteous of him to let Jongin know that he’ll be alone in the studio at least before leaving.

“Jongin-ah,” Yixing calls out, “Jongin are you still here?” he enters the shower room and knocks on the stall door, “Jongin?”

There’s no response.

“Jongin?”

It takes Yixing all of a minute to realize that something is very, very wrong. And his worries are only confirmed when he notices that Jongin’s body is on the floor of the shower stall, limp as the cold water hits him when he ducks his head under to check for any signs of life. Yixing panics and pulls the door open and slinks to his knees, to look down at Jongin’s face. He looks ill and his body… It looks thinner than it ever did before. Yixing could easily count all of his ribs if he wanted to, by the way his skin is stretched thin over the protruding bones.

“Jongin, Jongin,” Yixing calls out and he’s crying, because this poor boy has been so obviously starving himself to lose weight and it breaks his heart.

“H-Hyung…” Jongin’s voice is cracked and hoarse when he speaks, but his eyes don’t open, because he recognizes that voice. He feels weak and useless, he can’t even move and he doesn’t even know what’s happening when his body is placed on a stretcher and he’s brought to the emergency room of the hospital.

❦❦❦

Jongin blinks his eyes open and the light hits his retinas in the cruelest way, he feels almost as if he's going blind. It takes him a moment to come to and realize that he's not at the studio beneath the showerhead and for a second he thinks he may have dreamt the entire day. He decides that can't possibly be true when he notices that he's certainly not in his own bedroom, since his is painted a beige colour and this room is very much so white. And sterile.

He's disoriented and confused and wondering why there's a slight tug on his arm. It's then when he tries to sit up to inspect it that he's quickly brought back to reality as the pain in his ankle, hip and back hit him all at once. Suddenly, he’s brought back to the memory of collapsing in the shower stall and he's immediately ashamed of it. He curses himself under his breath when he sees the IV plunged into his arm and looks away when he notices the blood.

He's even more confused then as he turns away and figures this all must really be part of some elaborate dream when Yixing is curled up in the chair beside his bed, fast asleep. He looks almost sweet like this, innocent and cute. Jongin flushes at the thoughts - this is definitely not a dream.

“Yixing?” he mumbles and his voice comes out scratchy and louder than he expected. It startles himself and Yixing too.

The senior dancer blinks at him for a few seconds before he smiles lazily, “You’re awake.”

“What happened?” Jongin demands, but his voice is too weak to carry any malice behind it.

Yixing rubs his eyes, “You’ve been hurting yourself, Jongin. The doctor says you passed out from exhaustion, stress and,” he takes a deep breath, “malnutrition.”

Jongin cringes at the way the last word sounds. It’s true that he’d been skipping meals, but he just wants to be lighter on his feet. He just wants to be the best he can be. And if he’s the best, then that means he’s better than Yixing. And that’s all he wants. He wants to be better than him.

“I’m worried about you, Jongin,” Yixing says softly, resting a gentle hand on his arm, “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Why do you care?” Jongin croaks tugging his arm away and it makes Yixing frown.

“I did this once before too,” he whispers, “I ruined my career. Don’t ruin yours.”

Jongin doesn’t understand it. He doesn’t think he ever will. It’s not until a few days later when he’s discharged and back at practices that he hears it from Sehun. The story behind Zhang Yixing - the perfect ballet dancer. Who is flawed after all.

Hey everyone! Surprise update! I'm supposed to be studying for school right now, but I wanted to take a break today because university is stressing me out and to relax, I decided to do some writing. I know it's not exactly the greatest update, but I hope that you will be able to enjoy reading it ^^ Thank you so much for all your patience. Once exams are over, I will definitely be able to clue up this fic!