where do we begin

i fell in love on the internet


Jihoon likes to think that he's content with his life. He's doing well in his classes, lives in a nice apartment, has decent friends, and runs a pretty successful YouTube channel.

 

Sure, his roommate is a little who won't stop belting out Disney songs while he's trying to focus, but you can't have it all.

"Mingyu, could you shut the hell up?! I'm trying to work here!"

Ah, Kim Mingyu. In addition to being the bane of Jihoon's existence, he's also his close friend and current roommate. They met two years ago in their shared physics class, when they had needed to switch assigned seats because Jihoon couldn't see past the top of the stupid giant's head. They were an unlikely pair, but they bonded over their mutual hatred of the course and somehow got to where they were today. Mingyu is weird, loud, and unbearably hyper, and although his voice is pleasant enough, Jihoon thinks he could go a day without hearing it. Really, he could. Too bad he never got the chance to even once in their two and a half months of living together.

Mingyu's awful rap rendition of Let It Go comes to an abrupt halt. Jihoon is thankful for the silence, and he wants nothing more than to plug his headphones back in and resume what he was doing. But knowing Mingyu, he'll only get a few seconds at most until--

"Hyung, you don't need to lie. You're watching another one of your precious Hoshi's videos, I respect that!" Mingyu chirps from the kitchen below him. Jihoon can hear the smirk in his voice, the little bastard. He regrets agreeing to move in with the younger boy now more than ever. "I'll just keep hush hush so you can focus on your Hosh Hosh~"

"I'm not watching Hoshi! I told you I'm working!" Jihoon snaps.

 

Why is this idiot even home. Unlike Jihoon, he has a boyfriend, so he should be out bothering him goddammit!!! Jihoon groans, slamming his head against the keyboard. This, of course, causes the video he'd had on pause to resume playing, because nothing in his life ever happens the way he wants it to.

"Naega Hosh! Hey guys, it's Hoshi. Today I'll be--"

Jihoon quickly presses the spacebar, cutting off Hoshi's (adorable) intro. Mingyu snickers obnoxiously, and Jihoon really wants to go over there and smack some respect into him. Instead, he grabs a Pororo plushie off his desk and storms down the stairs, determined to get revenge.

As he enters the kitchen, Mingyu glances up at him from where he'd been chopping vegetables on the counter. The younger boy lifts an eyebrow and resumes his chopping, shaking his head condescendingly.

"Pretend all you want, hyung. The Naega Hosh doesn't lie. By the way, what's with the Pororo--"

Jihoon throws the plushie at Mingyu's stupid attractive face with as much force as his tiny arm can muster. When it bounces back and comes rolling towards him, Jihoon picks it up and smacks him with it over and over again, ignoring the taller boy's pleads for mercy.

 

Bastard deserves it.

"God!" Smack.

"Hyung--"

"Just!" Smack.

"--I'm sorry--"

"Shut up!" Smack.

"--please sto--

"I WANT TO WATCH THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IN PEACE!" Knockout!


Okay, so maybe he has anger issues and wishes he was a little bit taller so he could walk around campus without being asked for an ID, and maybe he has a huge, unrequited crush on another YouTuber. So maybe he's never talked to said YouTuber, has never even left so much as a comment despite watching all of his videos several times each, and has been called pitiful on multiple occasions by all of his friends.

Jihoon still likes to think that he's at least okay with his life.


 

♡ ♡ ♡

 


After an intense shouting match with Mingyu (who insisted that Jihoon had been trying to kill him, which is such an exaggeration considering that one time with the guitar), Jihoon finally stalks back up to his bedroom, wishing not for the first time that he had an actual door to lock instead of just a chair positioned menacingly in front of the stairs.

 

He slides his laptop off the desk and plops down onto his bed, staring at Hoshi's smiling face for a second before sighing and opening another tab.


I wonder how my new video's doing...


He clicks on his YouTube bookmark and navigates to his latest video, uploaded this morning before he left for class. It was a simple cover of his current favorite song, enough to tide his subscribers over until he could finish up a new original composition.

VIXX - Someday (Cover by Woozi ft. Wonwoo)
52,739 views
woozisings


He scrolls through the comments, trying his best to reply to most of them before his burning desire to watch Hoshi's new video finally takes over. He finishes up his last reply ("Sorry, Wonwoo's taken. Not by me though, that would be weird. Thanks for watching!") before quickly closing the tab.

 

He's again greeted by Hoshi's handsome face, paused mid-smile from when Jihoon had been so rudely interrupted earlier, and he can't help but smile back. How can he not when the blond looks so cute in his backwards snapback and Cookie Monster pullover? Sure, he'd already worn the exact same pullover in two of his videos, but Jihoon doesn't mind. It's a good look.


...God, he's really pathetic.

But anyway.

Quickly re-reading the video description, Jihoon grins. (He's not creepy. Really. He's just a boy in luv.)

Bean Boozled Challenge with Dino!
301 views
10hoshi10

It's the Bean Boozled Challenge, a staple video for many channels. It's pretty straightforward, and all you need is a box of Every Flavour Beans and preferably a friend. Jihoon doesn't really like watching them because they all pretty much follow the same format: intro, trepidation, disgusted faces, please comment like and subscribe.

Regardless, he’s excited, and not because he's a Hoshi obsessed loser as Mingyu so eloquently likes to put it.

Jihoon's so eager to watch this video in particular because it's one of the few where he gets to hear Hoshi talk. The other boy's channel is mainly dedicated to movement: dance covers, his own choreographies, and sometimes even taekwondo/dance versions of popular songs. Jihoon loves watching all of those, since Hoshi's movements are always so fluid and fun, but he loves his vlogs and random videos even more. He feels like he can get to know the boy behind the channel a little bit better, because other than the fact that "Hoshi" (Jihoon is sure that isn't his real name) is also a university student and speaks surprisingly good Japanese, Jihoon doesn't know much about him.

On the other hand, Jihoon never makes any personal videos himself. While Hoshi's channel focuses mainly on dance, Jihoon's consists of music: song covers, remixes, and his own compositions, which were steadily gaining more recognition over time. He keeps a rule to never let his personal life mix with his music, aside from letting his friends feature in his videos from time to time. He’s had his channel for over five years, and yet there's no connection between it and Lee Jihoon. It’s really only his friends and family who know that he's Woozi: the singer-songwriter with a million subscribers on YouTube and two best-selling indie albums on iTunes. The people at school, raving over the mysterious composer with the “sick beatz” and the angelic voice remain blissfully unaware. He doesn't like to show his face, mainly because he doesn't want people to watch his videos and go, "Wow, he's so young but he sings really well!"

 

He's made it this far with his talent alone, and he plans on keeping it that way.

 

(There was also the fact that he's sure he'd get a crapload of comments about how cute he is. He doesn't like to acknowledge it himself, but when your professors and friends and even the kid at the record store tell it to you over and over again, you start to believe it yourself. The pink hair doesn't really do much to help him, either.)


Turning his attention back to his laptop, Jihoon unpauses the video, settling back into bed as the Hoshi on screen continues to talk.


"...Oh crap, rotten egg, this one's definitely rotten egg. Dammit, Dino, I hate you..."

A few moments later, Jihoon drifts off to the sound of his laughter.

 

♡ ♡ ♡

 

and that’s a wrap! man i spent so much time reading this over that i probably missed stuff, so if you notice any mistakes please let me know...

 

basic intro chapter, jihoon beats up mingyu, no (actual) hoshi yet. sorry it's kinda short, i'll try to make the next one longer;; we’ll get to meet more characters next chapter! i wonder who mingyu’s boyfriend is. hmm. such a big mystery. hmmm

 

ps if you’re having a hard time picturing jigyu’s apartment, look at the picture below. jihoon doesn’t have a real bedroom because they basically live in a giant bunk bed lol

 

 

pls lemme know ur thoughts! til next time! ٩(♡ε♡ )۶