All Fun and Games

She's The Bridegroom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 25: All Fun and Games

Kimhan Burnaphan

It felt odd not to have Pie around. She was just gone for like a few days but I craved her presence badly. She’s a little madness but I adored her for anything else; that cute smiley eyes, those pouted lips when she’s sulking and those rolling eyes when she got annoyed, I would not get it from anybody else. Sometimes I found it amusing how this unwanted marriage could also bring me some sort of happiness. Well perhaps, Pie was not that bad at all. She was just broken, messed up and maybe she had that anger issue which had not yet subsided. She was just upset that her plan did not turn out well. Someday she would get over it. Someday she would.

Pie called me just now, informing that she might not be able to go back for the weekend. The examination’s just around the corner and she told me that she has some works to be done. Speaking of her teaching career made me thinking about that Headmaster. The one they called P’Van who ended up breaking my girl’s heart. Pie was trying so hard to replace me by looking for a good gentleman yet again; she fell for a wrong person. Maybe we could shake it off by now. It did not even matter because I knew Pie would not mess up with any family. She’s not a home wrecker.

The only better thing about Pie’s absence was that, I was able to be alone with Yam. There was an unsettling business between us two. I needed to figure out something that she hid from all of us. I knew she did not tell the whole truth about what had happened to her when the report was made. This would be the nth attempts I made to talk to Yam with the hope that she would at least responding. It pained me to see her in that condition; most of the time Yam would act like as if she had lost her mind. I could not bear seeing she cried her eyes out for the thing that can never return. It happened and she has to go through it.

“Yam, you know I can’t help you much if you continuously behaving this way.” It felt like I was talking to none and it just disappeared with the wind.

“What’s your relationship with Pie, Kim?” I was not expecting that she would throw me that kind of question. I was dumbfounded but managed to play it cool. Maybe this was what Pie has been talking about. Yam had slowly sniffed the secret.

“I would consider myself as her guardian. He grandfather trusted me to take care of her while she’s here.” I told Yam but she seemed not to buy it. Instead she let out a sarcastic scoff and smiled to herself.

“Do you think I would believe that, Kim? Pie is not a child anymore. Why would she need a guardian? Who do you think you are? A guardian angel?” She said. There was a jealousy tone in her voice. She was insecure.

“Yam, listen up. I owed a lot from her family. They helped me when my mother was sick and right now I’m just returning the favour.” Yam seemed taken aback with that statement. She only learned that my mother had passed away when she returned here.

“You like her don’t you?” She queried again.

“I spent a lot of time with Pie and we’re just comfortable with each other I think.”

“And that’s the reason why you never look out for me while I was missing?” She sputtered. Anger and disappointment filled her eyes. The look she threw burrowed into my head, into my chest and into all of me, accusing.

“How could you say that? I tried everything to look out for you. Aunty Inn even made a police report on your missing and we just could not locate you.” I found myself trembling with a suppressed emotion.

“You were distracted, Kim. You could have found me earlier if Pie wasn’t around.” She said and left me frustrated.

“Are you trying to put the blame on everyone now?” It was just about time before I lost my temper. “Pie has nothing to do with what’s happening with you and never relate even a word again with her.”

Hearing what I had been saying had caused Yam to rise on her feet. She stormed towards my direction in rage and stopped just before her nose bumped into mine.

“I used to be your whole world, Kim but I guess it isn’t the same now.” Her voice quivered. Then she took a step backward before she walked away from where we were standing. I could have stopped her but then I just did not have any word left to say. Did I really get distracted until I might have forgotten about her? Why’s everybody trying to point out the blame on me and only me?

 

*******

Yam seemed to avoid me ever since the argument. Her emotion fluctuated simultaneously with her hormonal changes. She got too sensitive over small matters that even a slight change in my tone could make her upset. I knew that she never asked for her life to turn out this way. It’s just that her fate was twisted to be this cruel. Pie was right about one thing. There were a lot to handle and it was just a matter of time and energy for me to get everything well balanced. I could not forever stay by her side just to make sure that she would be fine. It required me to juggle between work and taking care of her until I felt that it was just too hard for me to handle both. Knowing that Yam was once had a suicide attempt made it even harder. I could not leave her alone while there was nobody home. Who knows she would be out of her mind again?

My phone vibrated in the pocket and I shoved it out quickly. Pie called me often these days which I found surprising. She would ring me around two in the afternoon or some hour around it. She said it was the time she had done with her duty.

“Hello?” Her soft voice echoed through the line. I smiled to myself, knowing how she would look when she spoke.

“Hello Pie. How are you today? Have you had your lunch?”

“The usual.” She said dryly. “What about you?”

“I think that I might need a helping hand here but I have no idea of whom I should reach for.”

“What about you give Aunty Inn a call? Who knows she might come for a rescue?” Pie suggested. Then it dawned upon me that I never really told the elder about Yam. She only knew that Yam was safe but she had not yet learned the truest story. How would I tell her that?

“I thought I wanted to keep the matter as close as possible but I’ll consider that. Thank you for the suggestion.” I might need to discuss with Yam about it though. She might not agree with the idea since it involved more people. It’s difficult.

“Sometimes you’re just too dumb, Kimhan. It’s not really my business, you know that. It’s up to you.” She said that casually and it caused me to laugh dryly. “Please come and fetch me next week okay? Don’t be late.” She requested.

“Alright, Ma’am. See you soon.” She ended the call soon after.

Would it be alright to invite Aunty Inn over just to look after Yam?

 

*******

Aunty Inn could have exploded like a mad volcano but she did not. She arrived at my place the next morning after I did tell her the truest incident that happened to Yam. I wondered what made her that calm while everything could bring a chaos at the moment. Aunty Inn agreed that she would be staying with us until Yam gives birth to her baby. That was beyond my expectation. Nevertheless, I felt bless for her kindness. Aunty Inn seemed to have a greater influence on most of Yam’s decision. Yam agreed that she will be signed up for a counselling session. Aunty Inn even convinced her that she needed a regular check-up for her pregnancy too. Other than that, Yam would prefer to spend her time alone.

“Do you receive any progress about the case?” Aunty Inn queried, just like what I thought of.

“The investigation is still on-going.” I told her brief enough.

“Did Yam tell you anything?” She asked again.

“No, not really. That makes it even harder.”

“Where’s your other girlfriend?” The other question she threw startled me.

“What?”

“Your girlfriend; she’s the teacher if I’m not mistaken. What is her name again? Pie?” Aunty Inn recalled it right at the first guess.

“Ugh…she’s at the school of course and she’s not my girlfriend.” Aunty Inn made a face upon hearing my response. She wiggled her brows teasingly just to get under my skin.

“Hey take it easy okay. I was just kidding. But Kim…she’s pretty.”

“She’ll be back. You can see her next week if you miss her that much.”

“Oh? She comes here often?”

“Well, she belongs here too.”

 

*******

Pie hopped into the car like an excited child. I had never seen her that energetic. She has never been too enthusiastic about going home – well going back to my place. She’s certainly in a good mood I could tell. She did not act grumpy like she often did. It’s a good change.

“You look happier.” I began, wanting to steer a conversation.

Pie glanced at me once and smiled widely. “I’m just too tired of being upset.” She said.

“Oh that sounds strange. Are you trying to tell me that you aren’t happy at all?” Somehow I found her statement offended me.

“No. It’s not what you thought. It’s just that I have my reason to be happier.” She responded. “Does Aunty Inn know that I’ll be home?”

“Yeah she misses you a lot. Just wait.” Pie’s brows arched up in bewilderment but then she did not react much.

“I think I need to sleep.” She yawned and ready to lower the seat to a comfortable position.

“You always do. Why bother to tell?” I teased.

“Ugh you’re annoying.” Pie shot me a look and made a gesture as if she wanted to knock me in the head.

“You’re so noisy.”

“Just please drive carefully. I don’t want to die.”

 

*****

Pie was still asleep when we arrived. She looked so exhausted that I did not have a heart to wake her up. I tucked a stray hair behind her ear and that disturbed her peaceful slumber. She was a little startled by my presence but I was lucky that she did not attack me due to her fight-and-flight response. I heard her sighed in relief instead.

“Why don’t you wake me up?” She asked while stretching her tiny arms and legs. Did I ever tell you how cute she was?

“We’ve just arrived. C’mon, Aunty Inn is waiting for you.”

“Will everything be alright?” She suddenly queried, looking hesitated herself.

“What do you mean?” I was puzzled.

“I don’t know. I’m just not used to have many people in the house and they’re more likely a family to you. I’m just an outsider.” She said.

“Pie, you ever met Aunty Inn once and you’re used to Yam too. Don’t overthink much okay? Just try to mingle around. Aunty Inn is friendlier than you thought. Everything will be fine and stop saying that you’re an outsider. You’re part of my life; you know that before you decided not to use my surname. Otherwise, you’re still Burnaphan.”

“Eww no! I won’t ever change that.” She recoiled.

“Nah, I know it. C’mon, let’s not argue over the matter. Let’s get inside so you can have some more rest.”

 

******

The meals were all prepared by the time we stepped inside the house. The smell of food wafted over till the front and my stomach growled in response that the sound became audible to anyone nearby. Pie’s head snapped towards my direction before she broke into a heartily laughter. I was not sure what really amused her but she appeared to be happier today.

“Is that you Pie?” Aunty Inn’s voice was heard from a distance. Soon, her figure emerged from the back and found her way to us. She welcomed Pie with a hug and cheek kisses. Pie did not hesitate to return the same.

“How are you Aunty Inn? It has been a while since we last met.” Pie spoke as a gesture of politeness. I adored her for her modesty and manne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter