Camping For Idiots: Volume Two

Silver Linings and Other Bull

Camping was not for the ill of heart. Nor was it for those who refused to piss in the woods, freaked out at the very thought of bugs, and disliked anything supposedly edible to have even the slightest hint of a burn. In essence camping was the very antithesis of Jimin. And yet, for some reason here he was, trekking it in the great mothering outdoors. The things you do for love.

So far the trip had been an absolute disaster in Jimin’s opinion.

First, when they had been trying to set up the tent he had seen a centipede crawl in, which was gross enough, but when Jungkook had tried to get it out he couldn’t find it which meant their was still a centipede where they were supposed to sleep.

Then they were supposed to hike up the mountain and watch the best sunset ever, but the park rangers wouldn’t let anyone without experience go because of landslides (he seemed to have a grudge against him for no reason).

Next they had realized that someone (Jungkook) had forgot to pack the toilet paper so apparently they were going to have to use leaves.

Jungkook had seen a lake on their way up and so now they were attempting to retrace their steps back to it. The only problem was that they were both in flip flops and boxers, not exactly ideal outfits for a walk across soft dirt, hard rocks, and prickly branches.

“That’s a monarch butterfly, they migrate thousands of miles each year.” Jungkook said pointing to an orange bug. A pretty bug, but a bug was still a bug no matter how colorful.

“Cool.”

“You don’t sound very excited.”

“Who wouldn’t be excited about a bug that flies because it wants to go on a vacation somewhere warm.” Jimin made a face as he almost stepped on a moss covered rock.

“Actually it goes there to have babies, kind of like sea turtles.”

“Cool.”

“Did you know sea turtles are some of the oldest animals, like you can find some that are 150 million years old.”

“I don’t think that’s possible.” Jimin was ignored.

“They survived whatever killed the dinosaurs, which was probably dramatic weather changes I think, the comet theory was disproven I’m fairly sure. I read an article once about the bugs around that time were huge, and you don’t even like bugs now but back then they could get up to--”

Jungkook stopped talking as Jimin had managed to disappear.

“Jimin?” He called, silence. , he had lost his boyfriend. They were going to search for two months and not find any traces of him and everyone would give up except for Jungkook who would become an alcoholic to counter the pain of loss, and then three years later Jimin would show up again, but he would be a mute and--  

“Motherer.” Oh, nevermind.

Jimin had found the lake, and had somehow managed to fall into it. And of course he couldn’t have fallen from the bank, he had to find a cliff side with a vertical drop of at least seven feet.

“How did you even do that?” Jungkook called as Jimin paddled to the edge where he could stand comfortably. The water went up just below his chin.

“Shut up.” He tried pulling himself out with the branch, Jungkook winced in sympathy as it snapped sending him back into the lake.

“Let me find a stick or something to pull you out with.” He yelled down.

“No, leave me here to drown.” Jimin frowned, and threw the now broken branch as far as he could away from him. “I hate camping.”

“Going camping was your idea.” Jungkook reminded him.

“Technically it was your idea, I just executed the plan because I’m the best boyfriend ever.”

“I think I’m the best boyfriend ever.” Jungkook replied.

“Nope, you can’t even get me out of a stupid lake, you’re the worst.” Jimin pouted, he had give up trying to climb up using the dirt cliffside, as it crumbled whenever he touched it.

Jungkook took a deep breath and jumped in the lake, “How about now?” He said as he came up for air.

Jimin squealed as the splash made water hit him, “Now how are you going to get out! You’ve doomed us both.” He started to splash Jungkook back in retaliation.

“No it’s fine, we’ll just swim around until we find the bank.” Jungkook insisted. He had to turn his back to avoid the water Jimin was kindly sending his way.

“You’re the actual worst.” Jimin whined which was very distracting to Jungkook’s problem solving.

Jungkook grabbed Jimin’s arms and held them behind his back to stop the splashes, one problem solved. He ignored the smaller boy’s shouts of protests as he tried to get loose.

Maybe if they yelled for help the ranger would come by... His thoughts were interrupted by Jimin kicking him in the ribs.

“Hey, I’m trying to think.” Jungkook tried to look stern, but he let Jimin’s arms go.

“Think about what? How we’re going to die in a lake?” Jimin massaged his wrists as if they hurt. He hit Jungkook’s shoulder in a petty attempt at revenge but Jungkook ignored it.

“We aren’t going to die, we’ll get out and have a good time on the rest of our trip.” Jungkook said, he hoped it was true, he kind of at least wanted to make it to his thirties.

“Camping is stupid.” Jimin mumbled under his breath.

“Camping isn’t stupid when it’s properly planned.”

“So now you’re saying that I didn’t properly plan this trip?”

Jungkook wanted to massage his head, Jimin was going to be upset now. And he kept talking even though Jungkook was trying to think.

Jungkook kissed him, problem number two solved.

Jimin spluttered as Jungkook pulled away, “Hey, if that was an apology you’re going to have to do better than that.” He informed the younger, but he smiled slightly.

“Mom, there’s weird guys in the lake.” Someone yelled before Jungkook could show Jimin how good his apologies could be.

A little boy, maybe ten, was standing on the cliff they had both tumbled from, he was holding a plastic floaty in one hand and a melting popsicle in the other.

“What?” A heavily pregnant woman came into view, “Honey stop bugging people you don’t.”

“No wait!” Jimin yelled before the woman could walk away, he tried not to wonder how a kid and a pregnant woman in sandals had managed to find the lake and look perfectly fine while he had been winded after just a few moment of their hike. “We’re actually kind of stuck here.”

The woman looked at them weirdly, as if just realizing how strange it was for two shirtless men to be just chilling by a cliffside that led to a lake.

“We fell in.” Jungkook added, hoping it would keep her from running away and calling the ranger over. He already felt like the ranger didn’t like them, or more specifically he didn’t like Jimin after the he had commented on how ugly the color khaki was. Apparently park rangers took offense to that sort of thing.

“Why don’t you guys just get out?” The boy asked, on his popsicle, it was red, probably strawberry flavored. Jimin liked strawberry flavored things, but hated grape because it tasted like cough syrup.

“The cliff is too high to climb.” Jungkook explained.

The woman just looked more confused, she had a hand around her son’s shoulder, “If you just walk out like seven feet you’ll see the beach.” She said.

Jimin felt like he was going to cry but he thanked the woman as she left, pulling her son along as he ran a continual commentary on the weird lost men.

That must be how urban legends started.

Jungkook was able to stand in the deepest parts of the little lagoon, but Jimin had to get on his tiptoes to keep his head out of the water. Jungkook was nice enough not to laugh even though it was really funny.

Like the women said, right next to the place they had fallen was sandy banks. A few families were packing up with the setting sun, and some teenagers lounged on the rocks out a little further into the lake.

“That woman probably thinks we’re insane.” Jimin said as they pulled themselves onto the beach.

“Probably.” Jungkook agreed, “But it’s your fault.”

“My fault?” Jimin, feigned anger but Jungkook could see that he was trying hard not to smile.

“You’re the one who had to fall in ten feet before we reached the part we were looking for.” Jungkook teased.

“You’re the one who jumped in like an idiot when he could have just looked around and saw how close we were.” Jimin replied, he grabbed Jungkook’s hand and pulled him away from the water and onto the convenient trail that lead them straight to their campground. How had they missed that?

When they walked by the ranger, he snickered, Jimin glared but Jungkook grabbed his hand tighter, they really didn’t need to deal with that too.

Their campsite was as they left it, the pile of leaves Jimin had collected for if they needed to use the bathroom had blown away a little but he easily replaced the scattered foliage.

Jungkook got to work starting a fire with two sticks.

“That is so not going to work.” Jimin informed him, but he sat on a log to watch anyways.

It didn’t work. And the ranger drove by on his dumb little ATV to laugh at them some more and offer to sell them overpriced firewood.

“There is literally wood everywhere, we’re in a forest.” Jimin yelled at him as he drove away, “Screw your twenty-dollar bundle of sticks.”

The ranger flipped him off without looking back. Jimin mumbled about unprofessionalism.

Jungkook ignored the fiasco, and finally got a spark. He yelled, more in shock then excitement and Jimin startled and tumbled off the log.

“I did it!” Jungkook pumped his fist into the air, “Boyscouts really was worth it.”

“You were a boyscout?” Jimin asked, rubbing his waist where a rock had slammed into when he fell.

“No, but I always wanted to be one.” Jungkook ran off to the truck to grab the s'mores supplies.  A little pink ticket was sitting on their windshield, and he made a split-second decision to not tell Jimin about it yet.

Jimin ended up being really good at making s’mores, he cooked the marshmallows perfectly brown for himself and even got Jungkook’s to burn, but not to much, so that they were just barely blackened.

Jungkook complimented him and then kissed him. Kissing under the stars was pretty nice, Jimin decided.

The fire was warm and comforting beside them and when Jungkook held his hand he didn’t even remeber that there was possibly a centipede in the tent and that he had fallen into  lake.

Camping wasn’t so bad. Maybe.

~


a/n: spoiler alert this was whatever i at fluff also the ranger was yoongi the pregnant lady was rap mom and the kid was me