I Still Love You

Silent Love [Ontae Oneshot]

"What would you like today Mr. Lee?"

 
"The usual." I smiled at the waiter and went back to reading my book. 
 
I always sat in this same spot, this same table, this same cafeteria. I never went to anything else, to tell you the truth. It's where my mother used to take me when I was a child. I remember the coloring books she'd bring along while she worked on a new piece of poetry, and the strong smells of coffee that would waft to my nose. It's a shame that she already passed away. She was a wonderful woman. I looked down sadly and shook the thoughts away from my head. I knew she would always be in my heart.
 
The waiter came back with my cup of tea and set it down on the table. "Thank you."
 
"Enjoy, sir." I nodded and took a sip, the hot liquids running down my throat. I my lips and smiled. It was mother's favorite drink. 
 
I continued to read my book as memories of mother and I clouded my eyes. A cold gust of wind suddenly came throughout the whole cafeteria, and I looked up to see who had walked in. 
 
It was him. The boy I had seen a couple of weeks ago. I saw him everytime I went to this cafeteria. We would always glance at each other, but we would never talk. 
 
To be honest.. maybe I was falling in love with him. 
 
His sweet smile caught my eye that first time. Since then, I always awaited his arrival. He too would sit at the same table, the one directly across from me, our chairs facing each other. I wanted to talk to him, but I guess... I was shy? Maybe it was the same problem for him. I looked over at him to find him staring at me. He blushed and quickly looked down, a little smile on his face. I chuckled and went back to reading my book, taking little glances here and then. Every so often, I would find him staring at me. What did he find so special in me?
 
I wasn't that good looking. Nothing about me would catch someone's eye instantaneously. What could it be? 
 
Everything about him could catch someone's eye. His slim figure, eyes, smile, perfect jaw line.. it was all too good to be true. Like he was made purposely that way, with no effort. 
 
The waiter came back with his drink, the same drink he ordered everytime. It was coffee. I watched as he picked it up and took a sip, his lips after. Our eyes met for a split second and I quickly looked down, pretending to read my book.
 
I was always distracted when it came to him. Every night I would think about him. Every night I would promise myself that I would talk to him and introduce myself the next time I see him. But I never went through with it. Why? Why did I never go through with it? What was so different about him?
 
I wasn't normally shy, but when it came to him, I was. What's wrong with you Jinki? I shook my head in frustration and looked back up at him. He was looking at me, and this time we didn't look away. We just stared into each other's eyes for what seemed like minutes. 
 
Then, he smiled and gave me a little wave. In surprise, I smiled and returned his wave with my own. 
 
Before I knew it, he was sitting before me. He had earphones in his ears, and he held an ipod in his hand and the cup of coffee in the other. He both set them down on the table and smiled at me. 
 
"Hello," I said to him with a smile. He just looked at me for a second and then waved. Why wasn't he speaking? I watched as he took out a notepad and started to write in it. He scribbled some words and tore the paper off, sliding it over to me.
 
I picked it up and read what he had wrote. 
 
Hi. ^^ My name is Lee Taemin, it's nice to finally introduce myself to you. :)
 
I smiled and reached for the pen, which he gave to me along with the notepad.
 
Hi Taemin! It's nice to meet you also. My name is Jinki. 
 
Our conversation went on just like that. Using paper and no words, just writing.
 
As the days passed, I learned more about him. He was such a sweet person. 
 
I fell for him more each day. 
 
I sat in that same spot again waiting for Taemin to arrive through the door. As expected, he sat before me. He always had earphones in and I wondered why. Today I would ask him. He took out the notepad and scribbled on it again. 
 
Thank you. :)
 
I looked up at him after reading it and he smiled.
 
For what?
 
For teaching me how to love.
 
I looked at him again and he had a genuine smile on his face. He mouthed a word of thanks, and took the notepad back from me, writing more on it.
 
I never really knew what love was until I met you. The first time we saw each other in this cafeteria, I felt as if it was love at first sight. So I vowed to myself to come here everyday just to see you. You really have changed my days, making them better. I love you.
 
I stared at the last sentence and smiled. 
 
"I love you too." He smiled, but I could tell it was fake. Did I do something wrong?
 
I reached for the notepad this time.
 
I wanted to ask... What song are you always listening to?
 
He read the sentence and sat down next to me, putting the left earphone in my ear. No music was heard.
 
"Tae.. there's no music playing." 
 
He took the pen and wrote on the notepad. 
 
I wish I could hear your voice Jinki...
 
I looked up at him confused, a frown on his face.
 
I'm deaf.
 
I just stared at the words on the paper not knowing what to say. I let him rest his head on my shoulder, his hand in mine.
 
"You're still beautiful to me. I'll love you either way Taemin." 
 
He looked up at me with a smile as if he had heard me. He mouthed an I love you and kissed me on the cheek.