Atropa Belladonna

Dresses, Dances, and Damsels

Darkness.

Thick, like blood the colour of tar. Swirling in a muddy ripple were vibrations of evil, clouding the space of the lair from view. Yet within the room, a single source of light - a ball of glowing red, fiery hot as if moulded from the Earth's core.

Shrouded by the energy of darkness, a young woman was standing over the sparking orb. Onyx eyes stared down, watching a scene unfold before her amongst the cracking, electrical sparks. “This cannot be,” she muttered to herself. Her expression became frigid, although despite the stone within her gaze, there was a slight quiver in her jaw. “My gift of prophecy has never deceived me. I must contact Segal to find out if this is true.”

It wasn't long before the enchanting woman had herself situated in a five-pointed star, the edges surrounded by a circle. Bright crimson in hue, the shape was drawn out of her own blood. Her voice dropped in octaves, as her index and pinkie drew oddly formed shapes in the air. In under a minute, a rippling and muddy apparition had formed before her.

“Segal,” she began, a heavy weight within her tone. She stood primly, with her chin high and hands folded over her waist. “I have summoned you today for a very important reason.”

“Go on.” The apparition's voice was deeper than any human, and it echoed around the walls of the underground cave. It's translucent figure hung a few feet above the ground, the air around them changing to an unearthly mixture of heat and ice.

The woman paused, biting her lip. Her eyes glanced briefly towards the orb, which hung lazily in the air, the hue slowly dimming to a rich burgundy. “Normally I rely on my crystals for scrying, but my visions were coming in vague pieces. That is why I chose to divine through magick itself... Segal, the warning was terrible.”

The demon of prodigies listened intently, while the woman explained carefully all the information she had received. Upon her growing quiet, he nodded his ghostly head carefully. “This prophecy is true. It is in your best interests to find a way to dispose of them before any event should occur.”

“I don't have the ability to kill,” she gnawed on the inside of her cheek, breaking eye contact with the demon to sigh in vexation. “This would be easier, had such a curse not been placed upon my soul. Even so, I am sure there is no way of disposing anything protected by amulets. If your confirming my visions is truly accurate, surely charms would've been used...?”

“May I remind you,” Segal's low voice interrupted her musing, “there are many different ways one can permanently eradicate something, without so much as laying a hand upon the object. Dark magick is nothing more than finding methods to bend consequence in your favour.”

“What do you mean?”

The demon shook his head very slowly, and raised one hand in the direction of an aged, musty book. “I'm sorry, but that is not my field. I'm not the demon who would deal with such hexes. There are others who do, yes, but I don't believe you need such higher guidance. The answer would lie within your grimoire.”

The witch nodded and slightly shifted her position, carefully staying within the pentagram. It was getting quite uncomfortable to be standing this long. “Thank you Segal, you have been much help. I am sorry to summon you from Hell, but I can assure you. Destiny will change, as of this moment.”

“I will follow you closely, using lower level demons as your guide. Now go. You have no time to waste.” In only a second, the demon had disappeared from the astral plane, leaving only a wisp of smoke among the buzzing obsidian energy.

Immediately upon the conversation ending, the woman rushed over to where her grimoire lay. It stood on a hand carved stand, wood the colour of night, with etchings of skulls and various dark imagery. The three legs were shaped into claws, as if the creatures of Hell had forged it from their own bodies.

The witch opened up the magickal book, and began scanning the pages in haste. Something, anything, she needed an answer. There had to be a way to avoid falling ill to the curse which plagued her existence.

“Transformation into some kind of animal?” Her index finger ran down the pages while she muttered to herself. It would pause on a title, before shifting lower, and eventually turning the page. “No, that wouldn't be applicable. Transformation is easily reversed... Invoke the demon of murder, or suicide? No, no... For the Gods and Goddesses, I need a curse that no one could find themselves out of.”

It wasn't until half of the book had been sifted through, that her eyes landed on a page decorated with ancient and powerful symbols. Intrigued by the instructions, she read every word carefully.

“I wonder—” The witch looked towards the entrance of her lair, small amounts of sunlight seeping through the wooden doorway. “I'm going to need time for preparation and gathering supplies, but this... This could work.”

With a determined focus in her eyes, she began to put together items within a handbag. Everything she had learned was now on the line, and no one would stop her altering the course of fate.

 

*

 

“WAKE UP!” Only a few steps down the hall, a loud voice bellowed, startling two young men from their peaceful slumber.

One quickly sat up, his crusty eyes snapping wide open in the adrenaline rush. When he realised who had called out to the pair, the adolescent groaned, gently rubbing his face. “Hyung, it's barely light outside and it's the weekend. What gives?”

“There's stuff to do.” The elder sibling had poked his head through the doorway, surveying the mess strewn across the bedroom floor. Clothes hung lazily off the bedposts, and the contents of someone's bag had been emptied on the bedside cabinet. “At least learn to keep your room a little more clean, and that goes for both of you. Oh, and Taemin, your phone is on the floor.”

“'Pick it up before you step on it — again,'” Taemin mocked in sarcasm, but despite his tone, there was a smile upon his lips. He picked up his pillow and tossed it towards the door, where it narrowly missed his brother.

Finally rousing from his dreary state of half slumber, the third sat up amongst his covers and began to pull a shirt over his uncovered chest. Adjusting the fabric, he then ran a hand through his brunette hair, ruffling out the knots. “Kibum, we'll tidy up later. Is breakfast ready? I'm starving.”

Kibum sighed and rolled his eyes. “Sure, head down in the kitchen; Jinki and Minho are already making themselves breakfast. Taemin, did you do your homework from Friday night?”

“Yeah.”

“Good.” Kibum turned around and walked out of the bedroom, pausing halfway down the hallway. “And make sure Jonghyun doesn't use all the shower water!”

Taemin sighed and pulled his cover briefly over his head, sighing in exasperation. A muffled voice rang from beneath the fluffy fabric. “I hate my life.”

“Remember, this is only first gear,” Jonghyun shuddered as his legs swung over the side of his bed. Pushing himself off the mattress, he headed towards the vanity table and stared into the mirror. He grimaced at his haggard appearance. “This is why I wake up before the chick. No one wants to see this, after a nice night together.”

“You look very attractive, sleepy or awake,” Taemin teased, joining his brother in front of the mirror. His see-through white vest rode up ever so slightly as he stood up, which he pulled down to meet the hemline of his boxer shorts. Taemin gently slapped Jonghyun on the side of his arm. “Although why girls want to screw you, I don't know. I'm definitely ier.”

“Vain !”

Taemin chuckled as he left their room, and travelled through their apartment hallways. His eyes casually glanced towards the various picture frames which hung on the walls, which encased beautiful portraits of a smiling family. Upon reaching the dining table, he noticed two of his brothers were already seated, while Kibum began fixing his own meal. There was a wistful smile on Taemin's face, as he studied the scene.

Hearing his brother enter the room, Jinki looked up from his bowl and his eyes warmed considerably. “Sit down, Taemin-ah, Kibum will get you your breakfast. Your necklace is back to front, by the way.”

“Oh!” Taemin looked down, noticing that his brother was correct in his observation. Upon a silver snake chain, hung a beautiful stainless steel pendant. An upward five-pointed star was encased in a perfect circle, a small ruby gem having been placed in the centre. On either side of the circle was a crescent moon, which faced in the opposite direction to its twin.

Along with the youngest of the family, his four brothers had similar pendants of different designs. Yet there was a common theme between all of the necklaces - the star which always remained pointing upwards, and somewhere on the pendant, a crescent moon.

Jinki, being the eldest, had a secondary necklace which he wore always alongside the other. The shape was of three eye-shaped ovals, interloped with each other by one strand, and surrounded by a circle. Attached to the centre was a tiny, bejewelled J. As he talked with his brother, the necklaces glinted in the light.

Taemin unclasped the chain and strung the star properly, so that it faced the correct way. “There we go,” he commented proudly, before pulling out a chair adjacent from his brother. “I remember when our mother gave this to me. Her words are still as clear as day, 'never let this leave your heart, for our souls will unite and never part, may it provide you protection with wisdom and love, as the spirits show the way from the sky above.'”

“She said the same thing to all of us,” Jinki sighed, one hand on his bowl and the other gently touching the two pendants that were on his neck. “Do you recall what else she muttered? It was so quiet I couldn't really catch it, until Jonghyun brought it up later.”

“I'm not sure, but I think it was, 'blessed be,'”Taemin replied, as Kibum placed his breakfast in front of him. Smiling happily, Taemin picked up his utensils and began to shovel food into his watering mouth. “Thanks.”

“There's no point going over all these memories,” Kibum commented, returning to his work and closing the refrigerator door after Minho. “She was just trying to provide us with sweet thoughts for our childhood. They mean nothing than a poem a mother would recite to her babies.”

Taemin pouted, his tongue running over the back of his teeth. A pulsing feeling of irritation flooded over him. “That may be, but you don't have to undermine it so much. It's only been six months, and reminiscing is all I have.”

No one spoke after that as Jonghyun wordlessly sat down beside Jinki. The air hadn't become icy, but neither was it warm, as Taemin's cutting remark about their parents sliced the conversation in two.

It was two hours later that the brothers were showered and dressed. With their iPhones, stylishly seasoned clothes, and bags full of personal trinkets, the five walked down the road towards the local mall. Minho, having noticed Taemin's mood had gone quite sombre, kept him in constant and light chatter.

Before they even managed to find their way towards their favourite stores, a woman had walked into their path. She was terribly pretty, with ideal features and piercing eyes. Her jawline was smoothly shaped, accentuated by the long, raven hair which fell past her shoulders. Her slim body was clothes in a simple grey blouse, dark blazer, and work pants. Around her neck hung a symbol so similar to that of the brothers, except the star was inverted, and pointed to the south.

“I'm terrible sorry,” she began, her voice reminding Taemin of a particular woman who had tried to place him in foster care. “I'm new to this area and I don't know my way around the district. I'm trying to find a herbalist.”

Her blatant way of speaking as if she had known them all their lives made them feel quite taken aback, but being the eldest, Jinki stepped forward with a kind and easy smile. “I don't think there's a herbalist in this mall, but I do believe there's one only a few streets away.”

“Thank you,” she grinned. There was something still very odd about her – it looked like she had more to say, yet couldn't figure out how to word her thoughts.

Minho was preoccupied with the woman's beauty. He had never seen an older woman with her level of youth, and ual prowess. His eyes hungrily devoured her body with increasing ersion, although no one noticed the desire within his gaze.

Finally the woman spoke, after what seemed like the longest pause in conversation. As her hair was flipped over her shoulder, she surveyed each of their faces, a form of recognition dawning upon hers. “I know this might sound odd, but do I know you boys? You look very familiar, quite like dear friends of mine who had boys around your age.”

Had. The past tense words reverberated in Kibum's mind. “Did you know Lee Changsun and Sung Eunmi?” he blurted out, much to his mistake.

The woman nodded excitedly. She adjusted her leather bag higher up her shoulder, as it started to slip from the erratic movement. “Yes!” Her exclamation startled the five; they still didn't know what to make of this stranger. One minute she was asking for directions, now she was saying she knew their parents? “I did, in fact. Such a shame about their passing, and of all the ways to go, too. You probably don't know me, do you?”

“No, I'm sorry.” Jinki was now very wary, although he tried to push these feelings of doubt from his mind. She may have been incredibly off-putting, but her heart seemed to be in the right place, correct? She was friends with their deceased parents, after all.

The woman's smile revealed a pearly white row of teeth, one that Jonghyun's imagination equated to the fangs of a snake. “I must introduce myself. It's a pleasure to meet you children. I'm Yoon Jisun. I used to work at your father's firm, and had the delight of being in their company for a long time. I remember you boys as being only children, the last time we met!”

The brothers still didn't know what to do other than stand in their spots awkwardly, wondering why this woman was being so up front with them. She knew such personal details about their parents, yet how could none of them remember her?

The look which betrayed their emotions flitted between the family, as Jinki continued to probe the strange woman. “I assume you already know our names?” he asked, and at her sharp nod, his eyes narrowed slightly with suspicion. There was something in him, a kind of warning that rang alarm bells. This didn't feel right - she didn't feel right.

What doubt are you trying to confirm, idiot? Jinki scolded himself. Ignore your paranoia. There is nothing wrong with this woman, she's just... Eccentric cannot describe her.

Jisun seemed to sense all their apprehensions, almost as if she had read their minds. With a seductive smile, she held her hand out and touched Jinki's wrist ever so gently. Her eyes sparkled with some kind of warmth, yet gleamed of a malice none of them registered. “I assure you, I may seem like a stranger to you and your brothers, but I'm merely excited from this reunion.” She paused, as if deciding something while they stood. “Please, let me show my hospitality and buy you whatever you need today.”

That was really pushing it; Jisun knew how dangerous this game was. Her proposal could make them turn heel and leave.

Minho, however, was the one who wasn't thinking with wisdom and instinct. Instead, he was blinded by the beauty and carriage of the woman. He graciously nodded. “We would love to accept the offer, Mrs. Yoon Jisun-”

“Miss,” the corners of pulled higher knowingly at his affections. She moved her hand in the air, a waft of flirtatious perfume scented by delicious flowers flowing through the air. “Please, call me Jisun. There is no need for such polite language with me, I have no consideration for that kind of stuff.”

Taemin blinked at the older woman; never had he met someone of such class say they were equal in social hierarchy. He shook his head in confusion, blonde locks whipping across his eyes. “I'm not sure about any of this...”

Jonghyun stepped forward with a glare at the younger, interrupting his sentence. “I'm sorry, Jisun, but we can't accept such an agreement. We only just met you, it would be unfair to have you treat us in such a way.”

“I agree,” Kibum nodded. He shared a look with his twin brother; Minho, coming to his senses, reluctantly concurred. As the hustle and bustle of the mall continued to grow around the group, Kibum pursed his lips. “We, as a family, would feel like an imposition.”

“Nonsense,” Jisun waved her hand. As planned before she even stepped in the mall, Jisun pretended to have another idea dawn on her. A perfect trap was being laid before the boys, however the risky move would require all the charm she had. “How about after you're all finished, I invite you back to my apartment? I happen to have have photos of myself with your parents... Many stories I could share with you children.”

Jinki on his teeth; children. Who was the one who was busy helping his brothers? The head of a five person household? Now he was extremely apprehensive. He backed away a few steps, so that he was level with Taemin. “I really don't think that's a wise idea...”

“I insist.” Jisun's voice was more forceful than she intended. With a softened smile, she gazed into the adoring eyes of Minho. “What harm is there? I'm merely a friend of the family welcoming you into my home, for some afternoon tea. We can talk.”

None of them knew what to do. Should they accept her offer? Should they trust their instincts, which screamed there was something not right about this woman?

Slowly, her powers of charisma were working on the boys, although Jinki remained most suspicious. While his brothers warmed to her supposed legitimacy, he was doubtful of a pleasant outcome. Yet after what seemed like an eternity of mental deliberation, Jinki sighed and relented his will. “We accept your invitation.”

His voice sounded tiresome and hesitant, but Jisun acted like the greatest decision had been made. Excitedly she clapped her hands, her hair bobbing slightly. “Thank you! After your shopping is complete, I will treat you to one of the best luncheons I can give. Your parents would be so proud of you especially, Jinki. You're very wise.”

No one knew what to say further, other than to bid her goodbye. They set up a meeting time and place in the mall, and as the boys walked off to complete their errands, Jisun chuckled to herself.

She patted her bag, reassuring herself the powdered herb was safe in its pouch.

As time passed, Jisun grew highly irritated, impatiently tapping her foot while she waited. Located near the bubble tea kiosk, she fiddled with everything – her hair, bag, clothing, even taking her pumps on and off again.

After what seemed like the longest hours of her life, she saw the Lee boys walking in her direction. “We're here,” Jonghyun called out with a wave.

Jisun returned the gesture, and walked over to the troupe. “I'm so glad,” she gushed, Jinki irritated by the false tone in her voice. He held Taemin's hand tightly. “Shall we press on? I have a busy schedule; I want to spend time with you all, but we'll be pressing it if I'm any more late.”

The five nodded, and silently followed her out of the mall and down the sidewalk. “I live about five minutes away from here. That apartment block!”

What none of them knew, was how Jisun had acquired the residency.

By the time the group reached the elevator, even Jinki and Taemin felt foolish about their apprehensions. She wasn't that bad. Sure, she was a flouncing women who acted as if she was the life of the party. Maybe they had misjudged her...

“It's only small,” Jisun continued to tell Minho and Jonghyun, as they stood just behind her. The door swung open at the click of the lock, revealing a quaint little apartment that didn't exactly suit the style she presented.

It was quite vintage, not of a modern interior design. The walls had been painted a sunflower yellow, dotted with picture frames of a Korean family she herself didn't recognise. The ceiling was a mahogany brown, and lit with a sizeable chandelier over the living room. A large, wooden dining table was lined with an overflow of flowers.

“It's really pretty,” Taemin smiled humbly, scanning the place with interest. He didn't think such a sophisticated, almost business-like woman would live here, but the home radiated warmth and hearth.

The others agreed as she directed them to the dining table, which was conveniently placed by a wall, shrouding the kitchen from view. “Rest. I will brew us some tea.”

While they found their places, she bustled around the kitchen and emerged only a few minutes later with buttery lemon squares. In her hardened heart of psychopathy, Jisun had to admit – they were one of her many guilty pleasures. “I made these last night. Ever since I moved here about two weeks ago, I've been cooking non-stop!”

Jinki accepted the plate and thanked her, taking one of the squares for himself. The lemon squares were soon polished off, Jonghyun playfully feeding the youngest. Taemin kept opening his mouth, begging for more of the cake.

“You're such an idiot,” the elder chuckled.

Taemin wiped his crumble-tipped lips on the back of his hand. “I wouldn't let anyone else feed me except you.” He gazed at his brother in besotted rapture, receiving a swat on his head. “Ow! That hurt.”

“I'll teach you to act your age. You're nineteen, act like a man.”

“I do,” Taemin pouted, his eyes drooping cutely. “I just don't around you.”

“You two are precious,” Minho joked sarcastically. All the boys laughed at his comment; they were truly having fun in the brightly lit atmosphere.

Suddenly, Jisun appeared from behind the wall. A pink flowered tray was clasped between her hands; upon it were six cups b with hot, herbal tea, standing on matching saucers.

“Tea's ready!” Placing the tray on the table, Jisun made sure she was the one to place the tea in front of each person; it was as if every flowered cup had a label.

“This smells divine,” Kibum grinned, raising the cup to his nose and breathing in the scent. “What's the herb?”

“Chamomile,” the woman replied, as she took her own cup from the tray. She sat herself at the head of the dining table, watching them all with an intense eye. “It soothes the soul.”

Jinki couldn't help but notice that her tea was of a colour contrary to theirs. He bit his lip, his eyes narrowing as he scanned over the table. “Yours looks different.”

“I just have a lesser amount brewed for myself,” she smiled lightly. “Go on, drink up.”

Jisun was the first to move, taking in a large gulp of her own brew. Their trust was tentative, due to Jinki's remarks, but slowly the five began to sip at their teas.

Nothing happened. Not a death, spasm, vomit, or fit of insanity.

Now look at yourself, Jinki's inner voice once again scolded. You're all fine, it's just tea. Nothing else.

Once the drinks had been finished, Jisun's eyes were still pasted on the boys like glue. With their afternoon tea and lemon squares digesting inside of them, the boys continued to chat amongst themselves, even asking Jisun a few questions about their parents.

Although she had never conversed with Changsun and Eunmi, Jisun was extremely gifted in lying and manipulation. With vague answers, she managed to just enough convince the boys that she knew them very fondly. Like a television psychic, conning her victims was her strongest ability.

“I feel funny,” Taemin commented, a few hours later. His breathing slowed into a deep rhythm, while his pupils dilated in a glazed stare. The youngest looked towards the ceiling with interest. “Oh my god, I'm flying!”

“I'm... I'm swimming in air.” Minho's gasp was the next to slice the silence. He giggled almost manically next to his twin brother, who was already starting to slump in his chair. “K-Kibum! We need to go to the moon. Now. Just flap your wings and-”

“Ow!” His brother's odd arm movements hit Jonghyun square in the face. The elder looked so bewildered, dazed, and euphoric, he didn't feel an ounce of pain for a second after.

It was a chain reaction as one by one, delirium started to overtake the boys. The apartment became a cacophony as they all succumbed to their hallucinations. Only fifteen minutes later, all five were laughing in madness and pretending to fly on their chairs. Jonghyun and Taemin lost their balance, the younger retching under the table.

It wasn't much longer before the effect Jisun had intended for occurred – four of the group started to fall asleep. Drooping in their chairs with their heads upon the kitchen table, the twins barely noticed the others sprawled on the floor. Hysteria had swiftly transformed into being rendered comatose.

Jinki was sweating with fear, his wide eyes flicking from his brothers, to Jisun's cool and calculated face. He tried to stand up from the table, but the symptoms made him stumble. His words came out slurred and stuttered, while he supported himself by only his fingertips on the wooden table. “W-What have you... What's g-going...”

“Shh.” Jisun soothed her captive, stepping away from the table. She laid a hand upon Jinki's forehead, pushing him down onto the relaxing leather chair. With a cruel smile, she bent over the man who found himself paralysed. “Don't fight the belladonna. I know how to use deadly nightshade – you won't feel a thing, nor will you die. I promise, it'll be over soon.”

“D-Deadly nightshade?” Jinki sputtered, his rising panic making him feel sick. It wasn't native to South Korea, however he had previously learned of its toxicity. “It's too... Uh... Quick. The poison. T-too quick.”

Jisun chuckled, softly running a smooth hand down the cheek of Jinki's face. She could feel the curve of his beautiful features, beneath her fingers. “Hush. I will explain it to you later, once I have moved you. This will make sense in time, little witch.”

His delirious brain could no longer understand her words; the poison made it sound as if the woman was speaking through a vocal kaleidoscope.

Soon Jinki was the last to fall under the dangerous herb's toxin, his eyes slowly fluttering shut into a deep slumber.

While his breathing and heart slowed almost to the point of death, Jisun laughed to herself, gathering her belongings. Her suitcase was barely full, housing the smallest amount of personal items.

The children were gullible, albeit doubtful, about her fa
cade. None of that mattered – Jisun had won. She had lured them to her temporary abode, and drugged them into a comatose stupor, with a herb she knew every in and out of.

Her furtive gaze scanned the hallways beyond her front door; the apartment block was dead to human civilisation. The freight elevator was the only way to transport the group. One by one, she carried the unconscious bodies, barely resting until her mission was complete.

It took almost an hour for everything to be sorted. The Lee brothers had been bound and placed within a large but inconspicuous work van. Their arms and legs tied with the tightest of ropes, her kidnapping plan was flawless at this point.

This is harder than I thought,” a sweating Jisun mused to herself as finally, her own suitcase was placed just behind the sleeping bodies of her captives. Her eyes landed on Taemin, whose leg was the closest to the handle of her suitcase. He looked so peaceful sleeping, as if being nineteen – not far away from his coming of age -, was no bother. He was protected, loved, and cared for. He was both a man and a child, maturing yet retaining a level of comfort around his family.

Jisun's gaze bore straight into his face, while Taemin's eyeballs twitched underneath his closed lids. She was saving him, that was right. In her erted way of selfishness, she justified her actions was for his benefit. “You'll never become a witch,” she whispered, while her hand laid on the door handle. “You'll never know the craft. I'm preventing you boys from embracing a destiny you won't be able to handle, or deserve... And saving my life in the process.”

Yet as the door to her vehicle was locked, she could only wonder – how truly perfect was this plan? How much longer could it be followed, before things began to unravel?

The witch needed to return to the mountains. Her lair, neatly tucked away where no eyes would dare to look, would be the ideal hiding place. Only after the spell was cast, would she be free of this family, and the threat they imposed. These prospects excited her, while she sat on the driver's seat.

At the turn of a key, Jisun's van purred to life and drove out of the apartment's car park. No one bothered to give the van a second glance, as the witch with her captives drove through the city, and away to seclusion.