First Date - Part Two

Taking Chances

A/N: Here is the final part of quicksilver18’s date request. I hope you enjoy it!

Forcibly reminding himself to act normal, Taejoon forced his mouth shut, having dropped his jaw upon seeing Jaehee exit her room. Looking stunning in a crimson lace A-line dress, Taejoon was quite startlingly reminded that she no longer had to act as a boy, and was in actuality a girl. He had known this intellectually, but seeing her dolled up like this just vividly hammered the point home.

“So, where are we going?” she asked lightly, now feeling only excitement towards what could be considered their first official date.

“You’ll find out when we get there. Now let’s go, Dad said I could borrow the car for tonight,” he replied, wanting to surprise her.

Opening the door for her, he entered the driver’s seat and made a silent prayer that he wouldn’t crash before starting the car. Jae smiled slightly, somehow knowing what he was doing. Staying quiet so she wouldn’t distract him from driving, she patiently waited to see where they would go.

“We’re here,” he told her, pulling the car into the restaurant’s parking lot.

She gasped quietly in surprise. “This is- isn’t this place extremely exclusive? You have to be invited first in order to even think about making a reservation. How did you manage?”

He chuckled slightly, amused at her astonishment. “I pulled a few favors, but it was mostly because of my reputation. The best part is the entire place is extremely private, so there won’t be any rumors escaping about this. Well then, shall we enter?”

Going through the entrance, they were immediately met by the maître d’hôtel, who personally escorted them to their reserved table. The two remained silent out of awe, examining the elegance and rather subtle tones of class that the restaurant seemed to exude. 

Pulling out her chair, Taejoon waited until she was seated before moving to seat himself. The menus were already in place, and the two spent some time before finally deciding on ordering. Taejoon decided to order a steak while Jaehee got pasta, knowing that they would probably end up sharing their selections with each other. While waiting to be served, the two decided to catch up with each other’s lives.

“Did you hear? Eungyul got back together with the girl who came to our festival, Dahee, I think it was.”

“Really? That’s great! I was worried about him when they broke up, since it seemed as if he cared about her too much. Do you know why they broke up in the first place?” Jahee asked, feeling sincerely pleased for their friend.

“No, I’m not sure, and he really didn’t tell anyone why. He just wanted to keep it private,” Taejoon lied, desperate to change the subject. How am I supposed to tell you that they broke up because he was in love with you more than he was with his girlfriend! And how didn’t you know that? Everyone else did!

“Oh,” she responded, somewhat disappointed. She had been especially concerned with how sad he had been when the two broke up, and was curious as to the circumstances behind. “Well, as long as they’re happy.”

Their conversation was briefly interrupted as the waiter set down their plates, but quickly resumed upon his exit; the two being wary of speaking of their personal lives in front of a stranger, no matter how strictly the restaurant kept the confidentiality clauses the restaurant had in their employee contract. Upon his exit, the two resumed their conversation, this time with Jaehee providing the topic.

“Have you seen Hanna recently? She’s been acting kind of strange,” she asked, having a feeling that she knew what was up with the girl but wanting more info before deciding on its certainty.

The athlete sighed. He might think that the gymnast was certifiably insane, but he did care for her like a little sister. “A few times, but it’s rather strange. She barely talks to me anymore, but she spends ages at our dorm.”

The girl smiled in elation. That piece of information had confirmed her suspicions, and she feeling rather happy and relieved at the same time. “Congratulations, Taejoon! You no longer have a stalker.”

“What?” Feeling rather bewildered at what seemed to be a somewhat irrelevant comment, he couldn’t help but to want to know where that comment came from. “Just how did you come to that conclusion?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Seeing the other’s rather blank face, she heaved a sigh of exasperation and decided to help him understand by elaborating further. “She gave up on you. Didn’t you tell her that you saw her as a sister before? In the process of moving on, she probably met someone at the dorm that she likes now, and she’s using visiting you as an excuse to see that person. Based on how she acted towards our dorm mates when she came for the festival, it’s most likely Seungri sunbae.”

Taejoon’s mouth gaped open, shocked at what seemed to be an earth-shattering revelation to him. “W-what?” He croaked out, not wanting to picture his upperclassman with someone he considered a little sister.

Jaehee just laughed. “Calm down, and leave them be. It’s their lives, and shouldn’t you be happy that Hanna is crazily going after you anymore? It’s made both of our lives far easier.”

He pouted, only partially serious. “I guess, but still. Did you have to tell me? I would have been perfectly happy living in ignorant bliss. Now I have to go threaten to kill him if he hurts her.”

“If you want to, go ahead. That’s your decision. But that’s enough about them. What have you been doing since I transferred?”

Extremely glad to change the subject, he was quick to respond. “Not much. I’ve been practicing a lot, and I managed to go up half a centimeter. Hyunjae’s been practicing to and he’s almost caught up to me. I’ve also been doing a few advertisements for Director Jang. What about you?”

“It’s very different,” she admitted softly. “I like your dad, but it isn’t the same as it was before. I’ve made some friends, but it’s different. I was much closer to everyone at Genie, even Jongmin, and we all know how much he liked me. I was never much of a girly girl like the others, and going to St. Blossoms proves it. I hang out with Hanna a lot. She may not like me much for ‘taking’ you away from her, but we understand each other better than anyone else at the school ever could.”

“I wish that I could help you,” he told her, feeling distressed at what she was going through. “I wish you didn’t have to leave.”

She smiled slightly at him. “It’s alright, Taejoon. This is something that will take time to change, and I’m willing to wait. Besides, I knew from the very beginning that going to Genie would never be permanent. It’s better that it happened this way. At least I can see you every so often. If I had been exposed in any other way, I would not have been able to enter this country again until I became an adult. Besides, not everything is depressing in my life.” Pausing until the waiter took away their finished meals and brought them their dessert, she continued. “I do have some happy moments you know, like the work I have been doing with Director Jang. I started on some CFs, and they’re coming out well. They’re going to be released next month to introduce me to everyone, and I think after that, we get to work together in in a CF. I’ve also joined the school track team and started practicing, and I’m already in the upper ranks of the team in terms of speed. They’re considering about letting me enter the qualifiers for the national team in a few months.”

“I’m happy for you,” he sincerely told her. “I just hope you don’t get too busy and forget about us.”

“As if I ever would,” she scoffed. “You guys changed my life, as you very well know, and I could never possibly forget about that. And I’m going to be working with you for quite a while. It’s hard to forget someone you see often.”

“Well then, I look forward to working with you, hoobae,” Taejoon teased. Looking at his watch, he suddenly sighed in disappointment. “It looks like it’s time to get back. My father will be waiting for us.”

Feeling a little melancholy, Jaehee agreed. After a brief but silent argument over the check- Taejoon won-, the two headed back to the car. The drive home was filled with a comfortable silence, neither teenager feeling the need to fill the air with pointless chatter –after all, they had already said everything they felt needed to be said.

Taejoon quietly followed Jaehee to the front door and escorted her to her bedroom door, both only pausing to say hello to his father. “Well, I guess this is the end of our date. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

“I would hope so. I’m making breakfast, so make sure you wake up early. And is there no goodnight kiss?” she asked, feeling a little daring with her request.

Looking shocked for a second at her query, he suddenly smirked. Bending down slightly, he leaned in and gave her a quick kiss, one that was quite chaste but was clearly hinting at promises of more. “Goodnight,” he whispered huskily, and quickly headed off to his room, not wanting to test his restraint any further.

Shaken, Jaehee quickly entered her room and leaned against the door. Pressing her fingers against her lips, she gave a slow smile to no one in particular. Perhaps things really will work out…

Please let me know what you think!