Promises Revisited

Promises 2.0

2. PROMISES REVISITED

 

Another two months passed before Minho got the courage to wrap his free arm around Eunsook as they slept at night. Eunsook silently responded by shyly moving closer to him. Gwiboon, since her birthday, continued to use Eunsook’s pillow as her own. She watched the couple in despair, wondering what more she could do.

 

It was on their first wedding anniversary that Minho became bold enough to peck Eunsook’s lips, in the briefest of kisses, to thank her for the scarf and cardigan which she had knitted as his present. Both had blushed and were awkward the entire day. When sleeping at night, Eunsook gave her response by pressing her lips softly to his neck. Thus, began their routine of Minho giving a second-long goodnight kiss to Eunsook and she would sleep with her lips pressed to his neck.

 

Gwiboon studied hard and received scholarship for college. She had long discussions with Minho and Eunsook to decide her future. After many such deliberations, she took Minho’s advice to follow her heart and joined culinary school. The family decided to forego shifting to a bigger apartment and began saving more money to open a restaurant for Gwiboon. Minho and Eunsook turned down Gwiboon’s constant offers to work part time. They urged her to maintain her grades and fulfill her dreams.

Gwiboon thought hard and found a simple way to express her gratitude towards her parents. Every Sunday, she’d leave after breakfast to spend her day in the library and return at dinner time. That way she still got to share two meals a week with Minho, and at the same time gave Eunsook and Minho their much-needed privacy for at least one day of the week.

 

Gwiboon’s efforts had unexpected results. A month after her 19th birthday, blushing Eunsook spoke to her with a lot of stuttering and pauses, “Huh, baby, is it okay with you if I have another.”

Gwiboon patiently waited for the rest of the question. But, Eunsook only looked away and flushed red. Minho was of no help either. He kept his back to them as he washed the dishes after their Sunday dinner. Gwiboon looked from him to Eunsook and wondered about all the possible reasons for Minho to do the dishes. Eunsook took care of all household chores because she always argued that Minho worked very long hours at his two jobs and needed his rest when at home.

Gwiboon pouted when both her parents refused to explain further, “Mom, quit blushing. What another thing do you want to have? More food? Another pillow? I thought you were comfortable using dad’s arm at night.” Gwiboon noted with great interest when Minho’s neck turned as red as his wife’s face. When she received no answer, she tried another tactic, “I will give back your pillow mom, if you don’t tell me what you want.”

Eunsook on her bottom lip and fiddled with her wedding ring. Finally, the embarrassed woman got the courage to speak again, “Ah, it’s like this baby. You see, I thought I had hit menopause. But you see, it wasn’t so. Umm, I did not know that. But, you see, I had no way of knowing.” Eunsook paused in her ramblings to whine at her husband, “Minho, help me make her see.”

Minho went rigid and his hands worked faster. But, not as fast as Gwiboon’s brain. She jumped from her seat and hugged her mother, crowing in delight, “I think I see. You are pregnant.”

When her mother began coughing in response and Minho gave her a glass of water and both of them fearfully stared at her to gauge her reaction, Gwiboon knew she was right. She began dancing around the room, “Yippee! I am going to be a big sister. We are having a baby. It worked. It worked. Oh! I did not foresee a baby! But, that’s okay. I am so stupid not to think about this. A baby! Wow! A baby!”

Minho and Eunsook watched her solo celebration and they blushed more on understanding her plan to give them privacy every Sunday. Gwiboon hugged and kissed them, and pulled Minho to dance with her.

Next day, Gwiboon overrode all objections from her parents and got a part-time job as assistant cook in a nearby restaurant. The would-be-older-sister began depositing her salary in the box that Minho labeled ‘New Baby’ and she relabeled ‘Mini Cupcake’. Every night after her work shift got over at midnight, Minho would pick her up on his way home. Gwiboon would bring back her dinner from the restaurant as her contribution to the family meals. Apart from Sunday, the family began bonding over daily late night dinners.

 

In the sixth month of her pregnancy, Eunsook found it difficult to continue her work as music shop assistant due to constant high blood pressure and swollen feet. Doctor prescribed more rest time or risk losing the baby. Eunsook was reluctant to give up the job that had helped her pay for their expenses till her marriage to Minho.

Gwiboon and Minho returned home that day to find Eunsook shedding silent tears while setting the table for their dinner. Both rushed to envelope her in their loving arms. Minho settled into a chair and pulled Eunsook to sit in his lap. She buried her face in his neck and sobbed, “I don’t want to lose my job. I can’t take a leave. What if they don’t take me back after the baby is born?”

Mino kissed her head and murmured soothingly, “Don’t cry over such a small thing. You look after the baby at home, I will take care of you.”

Eunsook cried harder at his words, “No, I cannot place such a big burden on you. You are already not sleeping enough. Why was I so stupid? Who gets pregnant at the age of 45?”

“Hush Sookie, don’t berate yourself,” Minho tried to calm her down. “I will take care of everything.”

Gwiboon sat down next to them and wrapped both of them in her hug. She whispered into her mother’s back, “Why are you forgetting me, mom? I am also a responsible member of this family. Dad will have my help. In another three years, I will be able to work full time. We don’t have to open a restaurant. I will be equally happy working in one.”

Both her parents looked at her and frowned. Minho was the one to speak first, “No Cupcake, you will not give up your dream of owning a restaurant. You can work in one till we save enough. But you will have your own one day. We promise you that.” He looked at Eunsook and smiled, “Don’t we, Sookie?” Eunsook nodded her head firmly, before burying it again in his neck. Minho smiled wider on realizing that his wife had stopped crying and was kissing his neck instead.

Gwiboon pouted, “If I ask for the moon, you will promise to get me that also, dad.”

Minho raised one eyebrow as Eunsook silently listened to them, “Are you asking, Cupcake?” Gwiboon quickly shook her head and then laughed with Minho.   

Next day, Minho and Gwiboon went to get Eunsook at the end of her day at the music store. They spoke with the owner, who after understanding Eunsook’s medical condition threatened to fire her if she did not go on immediate leave to have a healthy baby. She agreed to take six month’s leave from work and return when the baby was three months old. The owner was a kind old man who asked Eunsook to bring the baby with her to work, just as she had brought the toddler Gwiboon.

A very happy Eunsook insisted that they do some early baby shopping before returning home as it was rare for Minho and Gwiboon to take time off from their part time jobs. Gwiboon started to lead the way to a nearby mall, but Eunsook stopped her and led the way to a small wool shop. There she allowed Gwiboon to select any colors she wanted. The three returned home with bags of wool and sewing supplies.

Eunsook used her forced home stay to prepare clothes for the baby and knit winter wear for the three of them. She sewed and knitted an entire year’s worth of clothes for the baby, using their old clothes to create new cute baby wear. When Minho offered to buy new fabrics, Gwiboon sided with her mother and stopped him, “You don’t have to dad. My baby brother will receive our love through our clothes. Mom says the fabric of old clothes will be very soft and just right for his sensitive skin. And I am getting new stuff made as well.”

Gwiboon held up the denim skirt that Eunsook had made for her that day from her own old jeans. The rest of the material had gone into making jeans for the baby. Eunsook had even managed to replace the frayed collar of one of Minho’s shirt with a trendy denim collar from the left over material. Minho brought Eunsook’s hands to his lips and kissed each finger. He noticed the pricking marks by the needle. When questioned, Eunsook hesitantly informed that she’d forgotten to buy thimbles. Next day, Minho presented her with a set.

As the little family waited for the new addition to make his appearance, Minho asked Gwiboon to name the baby. She thought for many days but refused to tell the name she had chosen.

 

When Minho and Gwiboon met the new mother and baby in the hospital room, it was the happiest moment for their family. Minho hugged Eunsook and Gwiboon made a beeline for the baby. She tenderly picked him up and kissed his cheeks. She went to Minho and handed him the baby, “Dad, meet Taemin.” Minho gently took the baby from her and looked at him. He kissed Eunsook’s forehead, then Gwiboon’s and finally baby Taemin’s.

For the first time in his life, Minho cried.