Part 3

Backstage- Behind Fame, Glory and the Smiling Faces (Based on DBSK's true life story)

'Now would any kind soul tell me what the heck is going on around here?' The somewhat rusty yet high-pitched voice was clearly distinct under the awkward silence.

'Junsu, you are so dead!' Changmin and Yunho choroused, leaving a bewildered Xiah staring at them like they were weird-looking freaks.

'What do you mean I'm so dead? What did I ever do?'

'You said you had no comments! You know what would happen if you said you have no comments! The media would make up their own story! You know the consequences, idiot!' Mickey shoved Xiah against the concrete wall backstage SBS TV, his rough and churlish manner 'coming back to life' again.

'Yoochun! I thought you changed! You're always coming to your fist, and you know this wouldn't change anything!' Hero held Mickey back from Xiah, locking his arms with the other man.

'I can't control myself! The mere face of this pea-size brained Kim Junsu just irks me alot!' Mickey thundered,in an attempt to kick Xiah.

'WHAT! Who're you calling a pea-sized brain! You China-Man looking korean pretend to be!'

'You Kamo !'

'You white faced giggolo lookalike!'

'You...you...you....'

'You guys better shut up!' Yunho the leader finally lost his cool, pulling the 2 other members away from one another's brutal retaliations.

'Shut up U-know! In fact, you know nothing!' Mickey raised his fist, an attempt to plunge it down the leader's cheeks in a spite of acrimony.

'Are you going to beat me, huh? HUH? Are you going to put your fist in my face?!' Yunho challenged Mickey to hit him.


'Once a gangster, always a gangster!' Yunho continued as Mickey relaxed his taut arms, rolling his eyes simultaneously.

'Ok! Ok! Stop fighting guys. The most crucial issue to address now is not whether yoochun was a gangster before or not. Xiah's issue is the most important one at hand!' Changmin, the clear-headed one took the liberty to cease the suspenseful tension, patting the back of Yunho and Mickey in consolation.

'But how?' Hero questioned.

'Hmm... good question. I don't know how.' Changmin flashed his teeth at Hero sheepishly, sending red boiling fumes through the ears of the other members. Seriously, all of them looked like they were on the verge of berserkness, ready to pounce onto Changmin anytime now.

'And to think I replied one of our fans through UFO about you being a genius. I have no idea what possessed me to do that.' Hero shivered in disbelief, turning his back towards Changmin in denial of his 153 Intelligence quotient.

'Whaaa... And you scored 80, Hyung ah. What would our fans think if they knew you were mildly retarded?' Changmin's voice was undoubtedly full of mockery and sarcasm.

'Ok! Now shut your gap, both of you! We need to get back to serious business!' Yunho interrupted the 2 before another fight would break out again.

'Xiah, calling for Xiah Junsu?' a soft tiny voice caught the attention of DBSK, propelling them to turn their heads at whereever it was coming from. Miss Tiffany, Lee Soo Man's secretary had popped her head through the tiny opening at the door, a clip board she held in her embrace, looking oh-so-professional.

'Xiah here at your service!'

'Lee Soo Man Shi is looking for you.'

Xiah stopped breathing.

'Aw man, the news certainly spread fast, good luck, Junsu ah Good luck.' The 4 other members chanted in togetherness, squishing the shoulder of the trembling singer standing before them. Their voices were filled with dramatic amounts of unremitting pain, casuing Xiah to tremble even more than ever.

Junsu gasp, lips shaping and 'o', gasped again, jaws falling for lips to shape an even bigger 'o' then gasped once more before swallowing another gulp of saliva.

'Junsu ah, you can do it.' Xiah consoled himself, his own chest with his hand. Yet this could never deny the fact that he was living in constant fear everyday. Xiah was the one who made the smallest of all blunders, but he was also the one who made the most blunders ever. Sleeping under his warm cosy covers everyday was never cosy enough for Xiah Junsu, not even anywhere near comfy. It wasn't because of his bed of course, his bed was from Reylon, but it was because of the nightmares that haunt him every day, never failing to leave him in cold sweat the following morning.

Not one day had he ever slept in peace without dreaming of Lee Soo Man chasing after him, forcing him to go on a water diet. And on days where Junsu wasn't dreaming of Lee Soo Man, he was dreaming about food. Delicious, yummy, mouth-watering food that wasn't of his privellege to enjoy.

Even before he embarked on a diet so strict and pathetic, Junsu's teenage life was already deprived of food like Ice cream and Fried Chicken Wings. He has been training the longest under S.M entertainment, and he knew well how every single one of the trainees were told that they had to look good, and therefore they had to be skinny. Junsu was always skinny when he was younger, but never did he dream he would become chubby in his later teens. When all his other classmates were eating Gobchang, kalbi and boolgogi, Junsu was munching on apples, salads and herbs. When people visited Lotteria and Mister Donut, Junsu visited training centres for training and more training.
He had no life, at all.

And now that he had debutted, his no-life life has officially turned into a lifeless life. Xiah's dream other than to become a soccer player, was to become a singer. Well, this was only because he never knew how dark the entertainment industry would be, how much pain and suffering they had to go through in their journey to stardom. He used to like to watch H.O.T on TV and would even hum to himself their songs whenever he was alone. Everytime he saw them, Junsu would always tell himself, I wanna become like them, I wanna sing and dance just like them, I want to be the next them!

And his dream did come true. DBSK has indeed become as popular and loved as H.O.T, and they were JUST like them. This of course includes, everything behind fame, glory and their smiling faces, the same tormenting voyage- the same agony, the same misery, the same troubles, the same abuse, the same torture, the same everything.
So, it set Xiah thinking.... Would DBSK one day fall into the deep dark abyss that H.O.T had fallen into? The answer itself was a mockery to DBSK, for they, had already fallen halfway or even more, just that they haven't touched the bottomline, just yet.

'Junsu Shi, this way please.' Miss Tiffany's voice interrupted Xiah's thoughts, her long delicate fingers pointing towards a tiny room located somewhere desolated. That was strangely odd since Xiah had been to SBS many many times, but he never knew there was such a place....

'Lee Soo Man Shi?' Xiah entered the small dark room, not forgetting to knock.

But no. No Lee Soo Man Shi was there but instead, someone else greeted him back. There they were, standing tall and muscular, 2 masked man, slowly now, slowly cornering Xiah into a dead end.

Dong Bang Shin Ki? Gods Rising in the East? Xiah let out a smile, his soft chuckles gradually morphed into insane laughters of self-ridicule.


A/N: The Story has ended. I hope you liked it. I would like to express my gratitude to those who subscribed and commented, and those who loved Dong Bang dearly even when they have broken up. It's been 2 years now and I'm pretty sure most of us have moved on. This story is to commemorate the existence of a legendary band whom we know will never be replaced every again.