Two

This is For Your Own Good

Mina’s POV

I wake up in my small apartment and get ready for work. For my waitress job of course; I would be crazy to drop everything and live with that crazy man. I didn’t even answer his questions and he wants me to live with him? Ew. Men like that are gross. I look at the unopened envelope on my table and roll my eyes as I walk to my refrigerator to get some breakfast; but upon opening it, I see that I don’t have a lot of food left. I settle for some toast with peanut butter and leave for my job.

“Yah! Cho Mina! When are you going to give me your rent?” My building owner yells as I enter the hallway. Unfortunately, the old bag lives across the hall from me. I bow respectfully.

“I am sorry Mrs. Choi, I am headed to work right now to make money to pay you.”

“You are three months behind! I won’t take partial payments anymore! Give me everything you owe by next Friday or find a new place to live!” She yells as I enter the elevator. How on earth am I supposed to pay her three months of rent in two weeks? If only that maid job was a good one and not for some ert.

---

“You are late!” my boss shouts as I walk through the door.

“No ma’am, I am five minutes early.” I reply.

“Ten minutes early is the new ‘on time’ so you are late!” She growls.

“Sorry, I won’t let it happen again.” I bow to her and then make my way to the backroom to put away my bag and to put on my apron. Yesterday morning, my boss’s husband gave her divorce papers and she has been taking her anger out on her employees. Eunji was even fired yesterday. I do feel bad for my boss though; her husband is leaving her for another woman. After loosely tying my apron around my waist, I walk into the dining hall and approach some customers who were just seated.

“Hello! My name is Mina and I will be your server today! What would you like to drink?”

“I’d like a tall glass of you with a side of your phone number.” One of the men says while raising his eyebrows at me.

“I’m sorry sir, but I am not allowed to give out my phone number at work. The chai tea is very popular; would you like to try that today?” A lot of customers flirt with me but I don’t take most of them seriously. I’m convinced that they flirt with waitresses to practice flirting with girls they like. After all, I am not very pretty so I don’t know why so many guys would flirt with me other than that.

“What a pity. Should I come by later after you get off and we can get a few drinks?” The man asks with full confidence and a cheesy grin.

“I apologize for his behavior. Baekhyun can’t resist pretty girls. The chai tea will be good for all three of us, thank you.” His tall friend added. I bowed to them and left the table.

“Chanyeol, she was totally going to say yes!” The man named Baekhyun says annoyed to the tall Chanyeol behind me.

“Dude, she was so far from interested…”

“Shut up, Sehun!”

I roll my eyes and place their order in the kitchen before tending to my next table.

“Hello! My name is Mina and I will be your server! What can I get for you today?”

“Surprise me sweet cheeks!” A man in big glasses smiles at me. Wow, is this going to be a thing today? I look around the restaurant and notice that every table is seated with young men…and most of them are wearing hats and/or glasses. Are they all gangsters or something? Am I in danger?

“Jae Hyung, you scared her.” Another man who was wearing a black baseball cap said.

“I did not scare her! Right?”

“Y-yes. Not scared sir.” I lied. I am very scared.

“See? You scared her.”

“Wonpil, be nice to Jae.” A blond man scolded. He must be their boss. “Don’t be scared Mina, Jae looks like Chicken Little and Chicken Little is not scary.” I looked towards Jae and noticed that he really does look like Chicken Little. Does he use his looks to kidnap children?

“Um, you don’t have to answer me…but do you and all of the other customers know each other?” I ask timidly.

“Ah, yes! Well, kind of. We are actually new to this little world…but all of the companies are on vacation this week and the man over there,” I look to where he is pointing and see a muscular, tall man in a white suit at a large table with eight other men. “he said if we all came here today then he would buy us food!”

“Oh…so he is your boss?”

“Boss? No, do you not know who that is?” Sungjin asked shocked.

“Um, no…”

“Sungjin shut up we are not supposed to tell people who we are.” Jae whispered to him.

“What can I get you guys to drink?” I ask, now knowing that they are the mob and they might have to kill me if they tell me.

“Coca-Cola!” Jae says excitedly.

“You are supposed to stay away from sugar.” The blond man says.

“Who cares? I am on Vacation! Coca-Cola!” He says louder.

“I am going to tell JYP!” A strong man from a few tables over shouts at him.

“Shut up, Jackson.” A skinny blond kid next to him says annoyed.

“On second thought, water with lemon sounds fantastic.” Jae says a little jumpy. JYP must be the boss…but that sounds familiar.

“Water with lemon will be good for us too.” The blond man adds. I bow and retreat to get their drinks. As I am placing their drinks on a tray, my boss walks up to me.

“Mina, take care of that big table over there too.” She points to the table with the man in the white suit. Why do the mobsters have to come here of all places? After bringing the waters to Chicken Little and his friends, I make my way to the super scary table.

“H-hello, my name is Mina and I will be your server. Can I get you something to drink?”

“Wow, now I know why Siwon wanted to come here. Hello beautiful!” A skinny man with a gummy smile says to me.

“I wanted to come here because the food is delicious!” Siwon defended himself.

“What are you doing here?” A familiar voice asks and when I look to my left, the crazy maid guy is sitting right next to me.

“I am working.” I glare at him. I knew he was crazy. So glad I am smart enough to not move in with a mobster.

“No, you don’t work here anymore. You have a new job.” He says slightly raising his voice.

“Woah, Kyuhyun. You guys okay?” A feminine looking guy asks.

“No, this ert tried to get me to move in with him and be his maid.”  I say still glaring at the man they called Kyuhyun.

“You did what?!” Siwon spat and the whole table looked shocked.

“Don’t flatter yourself, sweetheart. I hired you to be a live-in made for my best friend, Henry.” He rolled his eyes at me.

“Still no. If I don’t trust you then why would I trust your best friend?”

“That is a great idea! Mina, is it?” Siwon asks and I nod. “Our friend Henry has been really down lately and won’t leave his apartment. He also won’t take care of himself. His apartment is a mess and he hasn’t been eating properly; would you please reconsider the offer?” Suddenly, the entire table starts to do aegyo at me. I never thought I would see the day when mobsters do aegyo.

“Fine, but only if you add a sign-on bonus as well because I am behind on my rent.” I sigh.

“Done. How much do you need?” Kyuhyun asks as he takes out his checkbook. Yup, definitely mobsters. What did I just get myself into?