One

This is For Your Own Good

Hi, my name is Henry. Status: single and alone. I had started to date a girl this summer but in the end she was in love with my cousin. Tragic, right? But it’s okay because he loved her first and you have to support your family no matter what. However, I am still lonely. I am surrounded by people every day and I walk around smiling and laughing as if I have a great life but it is all an act. My fans are very important to me, so I need to smile for them. I sigh before walking into my at-home studio. After I started my solo career, my company gave me a big apartment with my own studio so that I can continue to write from home and make them a lot more money. My phone suddenly rings and I answer it without looking at the caller id.

“Hello?”

“Dude, if you don’t stop frowning then I will come over there and beat you to a pulp.”

“What? How do you know I am frowning?”

“Because I am the great Kyuhyun and I know everything.”

“Okay, I am frowning. So what? I can write lots of sad songs that will make me a lot of money while frowning.” His brain is so annoying sometimes. How does he know everything?

“Dude, being single is not the end of the world! Girls are so annoying and they never stop nagging!”

“You only say that because you are bad at dating; you are too stubborn!”

“We are not talking about me right now. Anyway, the reason I called is because I told the company on you-“

“You what?! What did I do?!”

“Don’t interrupt your hyung!” he says annoyed. “I told the company about how you live in a dump and don’t eat properly and if you didn’t get help soon then you will shrivel away and die, never making them any money again.”

“…Why would you say that? My apartment isn’t that messy.” I say looking around at the place that I live. Wow, I can’t really see the floor, except for my studio of course. The only thing on my studio floor is wads of paper that I refuse to use in a song.

“There is a reason why I am telling you this over the phone and not in person. Your apartment is gross. So, to fix it I have decided to make a huge sacrifice.” He states dramatically. Oh no, this is not going to be good. I just know it.

---

Kyuhyun’s POV

I am finally in Korea again and I should be happy right? Nope. How can I be happy and enjoy being back from the most stressful vacation ever when my best friend is moping about his life? That kid really worries me; he is going to end up in a hospital. Over the summer, Henry went to America to stay with his relatives while I, Heechul, Eunhyuk, Donghae, and Sungmin decided to follow him there. We arrived a few days after he had and he already had a girl that he really liked. She was really sweet and a great girl…but his cousin was in love with her. Long story short it created a big mess and Henry decided to put his feelings aside and help them get together…but now that we are home he is depressed about being single forever or something. As his best friend, it is my job to make him better whether he likes my methods or not. I have an idea of what I want to do; the problem is finding the right girl. I walk into the Chinese restaurant and the hostess escorts me back to the private room I have reserved.

“Will you be expecting your guest soon sir?” the hostess asks.

“Yes ma’am. I will actually have multiple guests come while I am here but please only allow one to enter at a time.”

“Yes, sir.” And with that she leaves the room while a pretty waitress enters and bows.

“Hello, my name is Mina and I will be your server today. Is there anything I can get you to drink?”

“Yes, please bring me the house blend tea?”

“Yes, sir. I will have it right out.”  She leaves as my first candidate walks into the room.

“Hello, my name is Kwon Jaehee. She bows and takes the seat in front of me.”

“Hello, what do you like to do for fun?” I ask and she looks at me quizzically.

“Um, are you not going to ask me about my work experience?”

“I will ask whatever questions I please.” I say annoyed.

“Y-yes. I like to knit and clean in my free time and-“

“Okay, thank you. You can leave now.”

“W-what?”

“Leave. I won’t be needing you.” The girl gets up confused and leaves the shop. She is way too boring. Soon, a second candidate walks into the room and I sigh in frustration. This one is really ugly. So ugly that she makes Eunhyuk look pretty.

“Thank you for coming but I won’t be needing you.” I say as her face falls and she turns to leave. Wow, if all of my candidates continue to be like this then I will never make Henry feel better. The third candidate walks in and my eyes widen. How did this happen?

“I’m sorry, but are you in the right place?” I ask.

“Yes, I am Kim Taeyoon and I have an interview with you today sir!” The man says cheerfully.

“I apologize but I am looking for a female for this position.”

“I promise I can fulfill any needs you might have even better than a female can! I will work really hard!” He bows at ninety degrees.

“I’m sorry, but only a female can do the job that I need done. Please leave.” With a sigh, the man leaves with his head hanging low. The waitress walks in as he leaves and places my tea onto the table in front of me.

“Enjoy your tea, sir.”

“Wait, how many people do I have waiting to see me?”

“Three, sir.”

“Will you open the door a bit so I can see them?” I ask. She nods her head and does as I ask. Outside the door, there is an old lady, a crazy looking woman, and another man. I sigh and shake my head.

“Will you please tell them to leave? And come back to see me after you do so.”

“Yes, sir.” She leaves and I hear her on the other side of the door telling them to leave the restaurant. All of the candidates get really annoyed but do as she asked. When she came back in I had her sit down and I am now staring at her face. She is very pretty; exactly what I am looking for.

“What is your name again?”

“Mina. Cho Mina.”

“Cho?” I grin. Only the best people have that surname. “What do you like to do for fun Cho Mina?”

“Why do you want to know these things?”

“I’m interviewing you for a job right now.”

“Sir, I have a job.”

“The job I am offering you will pay you a lot more.” I assure her.

“What is the job?” She asks. I see stubbornness in her eyes. Yes, I like this one.

“Maid. I am offering food, shelter, and a high salary to cook and clean.”

“What was wrong with the other people who came here for that job?”

“I didn’t like them.”

“Why?” she inquires.

“I don’t need a reason to not like someone. But, I like you. The job is yours.”

“What? Why? I didn’t answer any of your questions!” I hand her a folder with the information and keys inside. “Everything you need is in this folder. You can start tomorrow. Thank you for your time.” I put some money on the table for the tea and left her sitting there, dumbfounded. I leave the shop feeling very satisfied. I, the great Cho Kyuhyun, have done it! I have found the most perfect girl for Henry!

---

Walking down the street, I decide to stop at a street vendor for some soju. After my day, I could definitely use some sweet alcohol in my system. But as I walk into the tent, I see a creepy old man watching a young woman from a few tables away. He has this erted look in his eye as if he would do something really bad to her if he got her alone. I look over to the girl and see that she has noticed the man as well and is really uncomfortable. She stands up, looking as if she is going to leave but if she leaves now then she is in trouble.

“There you are! Sorry I am late!” I say running over to the girl and turning her towards me so that her back is facing the old man. I lean in so that my lips are next to her ear. “If you leave now, he will follow you. Now giggle as if I am saying something flirtatious.” She forces a giggle before I continue, “pretend like I am your boyfriend. Laugh and smile as if you are happy to be spending time with me. I will make sure that old man doesn’t hurt you.”

“And why should I trust you?” she whispers.

“Because if you don’t, that man will certainly attack you when you leave.”

“Fine.”

I stand up straight and face her with a smile on my lips.

“Oppa!” she slaps my arm playfully.

“Ow! That hurt! Why you are so strong?” I pout.

“Oh really? Let me pour you a drink to make it better!” she pulls me to sit down with a big smile on her face and excitedly pours me a drink. She is a really good actress. Should I recommend her for my next musical?

“Oppa! Drink up!” She giggles, pushing the small glass towards me. I take the glass and drink it in one shot. She laughs and claps her hands. Yup, she deserves an Oscar. I would like to act alongside her in my next production.

“Now, tell Oppa about your day! Don’t leave out a single detail, okay?” I say flirtatiously. I am mentally gagging at my own actions.  

“You will need another shot if you want to hear about my day.” She pouts and pours me another shot.

“Oh? Did my baby have a rough day? Tell Oppa about it and he will make it better.” I pout back at her. It is a good thing I am a professional. Seriously, gagging internally.

“Oppa,” she pouts, “today, I got fired.” She looks down to her lap and I can tell she is not lying about that. That must be why she is at this tent all alone. Well, she was alone anyway. “Earlier, my boss’s husband gave her divorce papers. She was really upset and lashed out her anger on all of us. Apparently, he cheated on her and that is why he is leaving her.” Oh, so she is jobless? That is perfect.

“Oh, should Oppa send her a present to make her feel a little better?”

‘What kind of gift do you give a woman who was just served divorce papers?”

“Oh, I don’t know. How about flowers from a secret admirer?”

“It is a nice idea, but I don’t want to work for her again.”

“Can I still send them to her? For your co-workers?”

“Hmph, why do you want to send flowers to another woman? Am I not good enough?”

“I have eyes only for you!”

“In that case, send them. But send me bigger ones!” she giggles.

“How about I give you flowers on your first day of work?” I smirk at her. My lover boy act has been flawless but my smirk is unstoppable. I see a hint of a glare in her eyes but she maintains her composure very well. Yes, she has to be my next co-star. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the erted man roll his eyes and leave the tent.

“Is it fun to mock me? Have a nice life.” She gets up to leave but I grab her wrist before she does. “What is it now? I have no desire to stay here with you so let me go.”

“Wait a little bit to leave because that man is still very close. Give him time to go home.” She rolled her eyes but sat down anyway. “Did you really lose your job?”

“Why do you care?”

“Why are you so angry? It must be true.”

“Screw you.”

“Whoa, we just met.”

“You’re disgusting.”

“What if I really wanted to send those flowers? I might have a job for you. Are you not at all interested?”

“If it is from you then I don’t want it. You act too well. I don’t trust people who lie easily.”

“…I am an actor.” I say with an annoyed face.

“Oh? So, you’re a professional liar? Perfect. You must be so proud of yourself.”

“You lied pretty well too!”

“Shut up. I am a waitress so of course I am a good liar.”

“Waitress? I thought you were fired?” This girl hates me. Maybe I should have been nicer to her but my sass doesn’t like to be contained. Also, how does this girl not know who I am? Actually, nobody has recognized me for a few days. Am I getting old?

“I am not interested.” She says before getting up and leaving.

“Aish, I told her it wasn’t safe yet.” I threw some money on the table and ran after her. When I found her a little ways down the side walk, she was frozen in her tracks.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” I ask running up to her. She continues her silence and doesn’t move a muscle. Confused, I follow her eyes to see the old drunken man not too far ahead of us. He hasn’t seen us, but is slowly staggering down the side walk. He starts to turn around and I quickly pin the girl against the wall, blocking her from the erts view.

“Yah, you think just because you have a girl you can show off?” the man shouts. “If it wasn’t for that punk back there I would be doing that right now too!” The girl shutters at his words and I hold my body closer to hers, shielding her more from the man. As I hear the man start to walk away again I pull my phone out of my pocket and call a taxi. Fortunately, there is a cab nearby so we only have to wait a few minutes.

“Thank you.” She says quietly.

“Don’t mention it. The cab will be here in a few minutes.”

“Okay.” The girl is really shaken up. The stubbornness from back at the tent has been completely drained.

“My name is Kyuhyun, by the way. What is yours?”

“Eunji.”

“Nice to meet you, Eunji.” She nods her head at my response. The taxi then arrives and we both enter it, causing her a shock.

“W-what are you doing?”

“Taking you home. Didn’t you lose your job today? I will take you home and then use this cab to go home too. I will pay for it.”

“Why are you being so nice?”

“You have had a rough day. If you’d like, you can rest on your way home after you give the driver your address.” She nods and gives the driver her address before falling asleep in her seat. But, as if in a drama, with the first turn she falls onto my shoulder. I may be a nice guy, but I don’t do dramas. That is more Siwon’s thing. I use my finger to push her head off of me and sigh as my mission was a success. She is now sleeping in her seat again! Aaaaand she falls back onto my shoulder. Darn it. I try once again to push her off but she once again fell onto my shoulder. Maybe she did recognize me and is now taking advantage of me? Ugh, females. I give up on my mission to get her off of me and let her sleep. I will never tell anybody about this. Ever.

“This is her stop.” The driver says.

“Finally.” I sigh. I shake her but she doesn’t wake up. “Hey, wake up.” I shake her harder but she still is not fazed. Wow, is she a deep sleeper or is she faking?

“If you want to take the lady up and tuck her in, I don’t mind waiting.” I driver says after seeing my failed attempts.

“We don’t have that kind of relationship.” I say uncomfortably.

“I am not telling you to move in with her.” He looks at me judgingly.

“Fine! I will take her!” I search her bag for her keys and am relieved to see her apartment number on them. “I will be back down in a moment.” Picking her up bridal style, I carry her up five flights of stairs because the elevator is, of course, broken. Thankfully, the apartment is easy to find because it is near the staircase. With much difficulty, I fumble with the keys in the door while still carrying her bridal style and when it is finally unlocked, I turn the knob and kick the door open, startling a young lady inside.

“W-who are you?” she asks scared. I rolled my eyes.

“Eunji is asleep and I couldn’t wake her up. Where is her bed?” The girl points to a room not far from where we were standing. Being the gentleman that I am, I hold her above her bed and drop her on it before turning to leave the room. Take that, drama scenarios.

“Who do you think you are to treat her like that?!” The scared girl from earlier yells at me.

“I am a stranger that she took a nap on. Good bye.” I walked out leaving a shocked expression on the girls face.