Chapter 9

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Suga was at the bar when a girl stomped over. She sat down angrily on one of the stools and ordered some coke and rum. She looked familiar...

"Jackie!" Suga blurted out before he could stop himself. She looked very different with her hair down and some makeup. The last time he saw her she was avoiding him while washing dishes at the cafe, her hair pulled back in a messy ponytail. He scooted over and realized too late that Jackie didn't look too inviting. Oh well, he thought. His warm brown eyes met Jackie's fiery black ones, and again without thinking he said, "Everything fine? Anyone I need to beat up for you?"

Jackie's eyes shifted from anger to surprise for a quick second and then the anger was back. Why is she so angry all the time? Suga didn't understand, but as long as he wasn't the reason behind it he didn't care much. He didn't know her, but for some reason he was sure she would be a formidable enemy. The thought made him chuckle. Jackie looked up at him, her brows furrowed.

"What's so funny Mr. No Face?"
Suga smiled. He was glad someone commented on his No-Face t-shirt. He was a big fan of the movie Spirited Away, and No-Face was probably his favorite character.
"I asked you a question first," he replied, taking a sip of his beer.
"No, there's no one you need to beat up."
"So you're fine? You're just angry for no reason?"
"My turn, No-Face."
Suga laughed loudly. "Alright, I was laughing because I thought that you would be a formidable enemy even though I didn't know you."
"You're smart then," Jackie said, a small smile appearing on her lips.
"That's probably the nicest thing you've ever said to me. But since it's my turn again...do you like being angry?"
Jackie slowly sipped on her drink. "No. But I like things to be in order. Emotions cloud people's judgment, and then I have to clear up the mess. It's worse when people I care about do stupid things and I have no power to change the consequences."
Suga didn't know what to say, so he just went, "Wow."
"Sorry, that was a lot. But you asked me. Heck, I don't even know why I'm telling you this."
"Maybe you're a lightweight," Suga said, smiling as he pointed at Jackie's drink. She laughed, shaking her head. 
"Anger is an emotion after all. guess it's clouding my judgment and I am telling strangers too much about myself."
"I get where you're coming from, so I don't think you're weird or anything."
"Hmm, I really don't care what you think, Suga. I just can't expose myself too much."
Suga laughed. "Trust issues?"
"I guess you could call it that."
"Why?"
"Multiple reasons. None of which you are going to find out tonight."
"Oh. Well that creates incentive for future meetings, hmm?"
Jackie laughed. "What are you trying to say?"
"Maybe we should hang out again."
"And why would I want to that? You're the one who wants to know my sob story."
Suga smiled. He turned and waved down the bartender, giving him some cash. "This should cover the lady's drink too," he said, pointing at Jackie. Turning to her, he said, "Pay me back with a story? Jimin has my number."

Winking at her, he walked away with a chuckle.