Chapter 7

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

“Jackie, you need to stop hiding out in your room.” Jimin was trying really hard to prevent Jackie from turning into a hermit. She was one of his closest friends, and he wished he could help her live a little. She was either working at the café or studying intently all the time. She was so young, if she continued like this she would burn out so quickly.

Jackie flopped onto the fat, soft sofa her older brother’s girlfriend Emma had gifted her for her 20th birthday. Emma was so much nicer than her crazy son Kyungsoo.

“I don’t know Jimin, I have work.”

“I know for a fact that you have finished all your work for this week.”

Jackie sighed, Jimin knew her too well.

“Why can’t you leave me alone? And that Kyungsoo is going to be there too right?”

“Jackie come on now, he’s terrified of you. He won’t bother you.”

Jackie laughed loudly. “You would be so screwed if he heard you say that.”

“So are you coming then?” Jimin asked, grinning.

Even though Jackie couldn’t see him, she knew he was grinning widely because he knew she was going to say yes.

“Okay fine! But you have to buy me ice cream!”

Jimin chuckled. “Be ready by 7. I’ll pick you up.”

……………………………………………………………

There was yet another phone call going on around the same time where a friend was convincing another to go out with her.

“Kelly! I don’t want to go. Let me sleep.”

Kelly groaned. Gemma was her best friend, and she had just gone through a bad breakup and had lost a really close friend as well. Since then she had been moping and staying in her room, avoiding all human contact. Kelly was the only person she spoke to occasionally.

“Gemma! You have sulked enough. How long are you going to do this? Don’t punish yourself so much. It has been too long. Let’s go, maybe you’ll find some cute artistic type dude in the pub.”

Gemma poked her head out from under the blanket. Pushing her blonde hair away from her face she whispered, “I am scared Kelly.”

“Of what Gemma? You’re overthinking this. Let’s go. We have to dress you up into something cute and get you out of your stuffy room. I’ll come over in 30 minutes and help you look fabulous. Take a shower by then!”

Before Gemma could protest, Kelly hung up and started to get ready.

……………………………………………………………..

Jiyong felt like he couldn’t breathe. He was nervous, and there were too many people in the dimly lit pub. He had no idea where the stage was. He began to edge towards the wall to avoid the noisy young people crowding around him. Young people. Yep, he was definitely a grandpa in an 18 year old’s body.

He was brought back to earth from his thoughts by a loud “ouch!” Jiyong jumped and realized he had stepped on someone’s foot.

“I am so sorry!” he yelled so his apology could be heard over the noise.

The guy had heavy bangs and a friendly face. He shook his head and smiled at Jiyong. “No worries man.” He was about to walk away when Jiyong yelled at him again.

“Do you know which way the stage is??”

“I believe it is that way…” the guy sounded uncertain himself. “Let’s go find out,” he said with a grin.

Jiyong began to follow the taller guy through the crowd. After a few terrible humid seconds they emerged into a clear space with blinding overhead lights. Jiyong blinked to adjust his eyes. The guy with the bangs turned around and gave Jiyong a thumbs up. “There it is!” he exclaimed.

Before Jiyong could thank him, two boys ran over and slapped the guy hard on his back. “Glad you could make it Hoseok. Is this your friend?”

Hoseok turned and smiled at Jiyong. “We just met! We navigated those insane crowds to find the stage.”

“I am Suga man, and this is Jimin.”

Jiyong smiled at Suga, who was super pale and had happy, dancing eyes. The other guy Jimin waved at him as well; he was a well-built, pleasant looking guy.

“It’s nice to meet you!” Jiyong said loudly. Why was the crowd so damn loud?

Jiyong’s question was answered when the stage lights suddenly went dim. The people cheered, and Suga pulled him and Jimin to the front. Hoseok followed and they managed to get a good viewing space. Jiyong prepared himself to look at Seunghyun. There was something about that crazy that always put Jiyong on the edge. The lights again, and loud guitar filled the space. Three young guys came running onto the stage, two of them playing the guitar and the third one positioning himself at the drums. They began to play an instrumental rock melody that made the audience bob their heads to the beat. Seunghyun’s bright blue hair shone brilliantly under the stage lights. And he looked so happy. His eyes were semi-shut, and a soft smile was spread across his face. He slowly walked over to the mic and everyone cheered. But as soon as his deep voice filled the room, everyone went silent. The guitars slowed down to a haunting rhythm and the drums continued an addictive beat.

“You and I, you and I, walking down this path…
My tired heart can’t keep up with your love,
If your fingers didn’t brush mine anymore,
Would you turn around and call my name?”

Seunghyun sang the soft, sad song with so much emotion that everyone in the crowd was blown away. Jiyong couldn’t believe that this was the same Seunghyun he knew from school. His deep beautiful voice reverberated in Jiyong’s mind, and he felt calm and peaceful. And when the song ended, the place burst into applause. Seunghyun opened his eyes, and they sparkled with joy. He looked around the crowd, reveling in the appreciation. And when his eyes landed on Jiyong, his eyes flickered with surprise for a mere second before he began to scan the room again. And as Jiyong expected from himself, he was already blushing.

The crowd began to disperse to get some drinks and food before the next performance, and that’s when Seunghyun leapt off the stage in front of Jiyong, who was about to follow Hoseok and others to the bar. He motioned them to go on without him and slowly turned to look at Seunghyun.

“I didn’t think you’d come J.” Seunghyun said, grinning at Jiyong.

“Great job on the song…I didn’t know you could sing like that.”

Once again, Seunghyun’s eyes expressed surprise. And then to Jiyong’s surprise, a soft flush of pink appeared on Seunghyun’s cheeks.

“Um, thanks. I am glad you liked it. I wrote it myself.”

“You were very emotional, what girl broke your heart Seunghyun?” Jiyong laughed. And in a tiny part of his mind, he was surprised to see he didn’t want to know.

“No girl can break my heart Jiyong,” Seunghyun said softly. His intense black eyes gazed straight into Jiyong’s warm brown ones, until Jiyong went even redder.

Jiyong gave an awkward laughed and ran his fingers through his hair. “Well, it’s good, that you’re invincible…” Jiyong wanted to evaporate right then and there. What was he even saying…

To his relief, two girls emerged from the crowd and hugged Seunghyun’s back. The one with the bright red hair squealed, “Oppa! You were so wonderful!!!!”

The other girl was one of the prettiest women Jiyong had ever seen. She had long golden hair that fell in gorgeous waves down her back. She wore a bright green dress the same color of her big eyes framed with the longest lashes. But for some reason, her eyes were full of sadness.

Seunghyun pointed at the redhead and said, “J, this is my sister Kelly. And that’s Gemma.”

Jiyong nodded and smiled at both of them. “It is nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you as well!” Kelly squealed. She seemed like a very happy and cheerful person. Gemma on the other hand just gave Jiyong a sad smile. But just a second later, her expression turned to that of horror. Concerned, Jiyong followed her gaze… and it landed on Jimin, who was looking back at them, his usually kind eyes dark and blazing with fury.