Ch.o1

It's Okay,Even If I'm Hurt

 

Have you ever seen the rain?

It’s a really spectacular thing honestly.

It’s one of the many wonders of nature that no one can truly describe.

One of those things that by the time the falling wetness reaches your skin, your heart shatters.

One of those things that rivals silence in its simplicity, one of those things that washes away all complexity.

Now, why would that be?

What’s so magnificent about rain?

Now doesn’t that sound familiar, Jung Yonghwa thought bitterly as he rested on a concrete stair in the middle of a rainy and bustling New York City day.

He sat on the stair and spat out his cigarette, the remainders sizzling as they made contact with the wet ground.

He felt the tar settling in his lungs as he leaned back and let the rain collide with his face, finding an odd amount of relish at the sound of cars driving by.

He then opened his eyes and mentally counted to three.

1.

The door opened slightly.

2.

A small meow was heard behind him.

3.

“Yonghwa Jung! What are you doing on a staircase? And it’s raining! Do you want pneumonia? Do you? You better get your skinny little riceball in here before I drag you by your ear!”

Yonghwa chuckled without even turning around. He was lucky to have such a caring landlady. Overbearing at times, but that was better than having one that would leave you bleeding in a parking lot.

Yonghwa turned around and walked into the spacy lobby of the apartment, allowing his landlady to continue to fret over him and her cat to wound itself around his legs.

Not all cats dislike water.

“I’m just fine Ms. Yang. At 27 years old, I’m pretty sure I can take care of myself.”

Yonghwa left it to himself to plop his wet body on the couch, allowing Ms. Yang’s cat, Fluffy to curl up on his stomach until he began to pet her.

“Hey! Off the couch, or you’ll soil it! Gosh, I really wonder if you’re 27 years old sometimes.” Mrs. Yang said, sighing in exasperation while Yonghwa chuckled, his vision becoming attached to the now drenched city.

Ms. Yang went to the mailboxes as she hummed a tune.

She was never able to be mad at Yonghwa for long.

After all, when you teach an extremely attractive Korean with no grasp for any other languages, one of the most complicated languages in the world, you learn to garner patience.

Maybe he still sounded like he was saying “Is my turtle ready?” when he was saying “Is it my turn already?” But he still tried.

You learn a lot about a person when they stay in your home for 2 and a half years.

Yonghwa began humming the same tune as she did.

It was just something they did.

A way that they bonded.

It was nice to have her around.

She was his mother outside of Korea.

She began going through his mail, in much of the same way a mother would (which was why he didn’t say anything) as she mumbled in Korean.

“I bet if the little rascal had a wife, she wouldn’t let him prance around in the damn rain all the time.”

On the outside, Jung Yonghwa was a strong man.

Handsome, tall, harbored a deep voice, well built body and an artistic soul.

But then and there, at the mention of ‘wife’ his entire persona, his entire façade shattered,

He could feel a small lump beginning to develop in the wells of his throat, dozens of images of the raven-haired beauty he called his best friend swimming before his eyes.

After he got a job offer from a friend at a music university in America, he had lost contact with…well, everyone.

He didn’t even get the chance to say goodbye.

They say time heals all wounds.

Time can be the answer to everything.

It helps you understand who sticks around and who ditches when things gets rough.

It helps you understand who you are as a person. What you can endure and what you can’t.

But it never, ever, heals a broken heart.

The raindrops grew heavier against the windows as he heard Ms. Yang faintly ask if he wanted any coffee.

He heard himself say yes. But who could know for sure? Everything just felt…farther away.

She felt farther away, even when he remembered leaving her a chaste kiss on the forehead when she he left that wedding scene.

And told her to be happy.

She felt farther away, because he knew it was too late.

How many tears had he cried, night after night after that wedding?

How many times had he scolded himself for being too late?
How many times had he tried to convince himself that everything would be okay, even when his heart disagreed?
He didn’t know.

But he did know one thing.

He knew he would always love her.

It was one of those foreign feelings.

That feeling of something new, but you feel sure about it.

He had never loved before her.

He doubted he would love after her.

“Yong~, you have a letter.”

Ms. Yang disrupted his thoughts, bringing in a scent of coffee and cat nip, thus allowing Fluffy to hop off of Yonghwa’s stomach and immediately curl around her official owner’s legs.

Despite the aching of his heart, Yonghwa couldn’t help but to laugh; that cat was such a .

“It’s written in Hangul.”

“Really?” Yonghwa was surprised. He hadn’t been able to contact most people from Korea, all the people he had somehow been able to contact had been in recent time and Minhyuk was here.

Who would possibly write to him in Hangul?

“Who is it from?”

“Hmm, it says it’s from a….Seo Ju Hyun.”

Yonghwa’s heart leapt for the second time that rainy afternoon.

He hadn’t heard her name spoken out loud in….months.

“Seo Ju Hyun.” He mumbled.

“Yes, is she a friend?” Ms. Yang said, sitting in a chair adjacent to Yonghwa on the couch, with the cat now in her lap.

“Seo Ju Hyun.”

“Yes, we’ve established that. Is she a good friend?”

“Seo Ju Hyun.”
It felt good to say it after all of these years.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Errrr, how was that?
I'm sho sorry if it's y but yeah. I wrote this on the spot because I felt a sudden burst of inspiration.

This should take around 4 chapters at the most.

I already have all of the other chapters written so I'll just update them one by one because I'm cool.

Lol I'm not cool but whatever.

So please comment♥♥♥

And subscribe if you want to ♥

Because little comments make Author sad D:

KBai, and I'll see you tomorrow!

Or at midnight.