What Movie?

Pretty Boy Across the Hall

again, THIS font means they're speaking in Chinese

 

“What movie should we watch?” Seungcheol asked as he scrolled through Netflix on his laptop.

Jihoon smiled over his shoulder. He stood by the microwave, waiting for the popcorn to finish popping. “What looks good?”

“I have no idea. It’s like literally every good movie title’s just flown out of my head,” he groaned.

“You’re so weird,” Jihoon laughed.

Seungcheol chuckled, stood up, and made his way to Jihoon in the kitchen. Without him noticing, he wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s waist. Kissing the top of Jihoon’s head, Seungcheol said into his pink hair, “And you are adorable.”

That signature rosy shade flushed over Jihoon’s cheeks. “You really like hugging me from behind, don’t you?” Jihoon asked, gently Seungcheol’s muscular arm.

“‘Cause you fit so well in my arms.”

The microwaved went off Jihoon reached in for the popcorn and placed the bag on the counter. “I fit the other way too,” he teased.

“Yeah,” Seungcheol admitted, spinning Jihoon around so their foreheads were touching. “But I know you get all flustered when I see you blush.”

And as if on cue, Jihoon got even redder. Refusing to look at Seungcheol, he scoffed. “I don’t know why that still happens.”

Seungcheol smiled and rolled his eyes as he pulled Jihoon’s head into his chest. “It’s ‘cause you’ll never get used to how devilishly charming I am.”

“No, no,” Jihoon laughed. “That’s not it.”

But it kind of was. It had been a few weeks since the move and the two of them were really finding their flow living together. That being said, Seungcheol never failed to throw off his boyfriend every so often. The same was the other way around. Jihoon’s favorite pastime was getting Seungcheol to blush as easily as he did. After a few different tries, Jihoon found that the best way was to walk in on him in the shower.

“It’s okay,” Seungcheol said as he leaned down to leave a kiss on Jihoon’s cheek. “Pink is a good color on you.”

“Just pick a movie,” Jihoon said as he turned back to dump the popcorn on a bowl.

“What movie?”

“And we’re back to where we started.”

Just as Seungcheol laughed, there was a knock at the door. Furrowing his eyebrows, Seungcheol went to get it. “You expecting anyone, baby?”

“No,” he replied. “It might be Soonyoung though. He told me he needed to ask you about something.”

“What would he need to ask me about?” Seungcheol questioned. But he opened the door before Jihoon could answer.

“Seokmin? Seungkwan?”

“HEY HYUNG!” Seungkwan cheered as he entered the apartment.

“Heyyyy guys,” Seungcheol said as he watched them come in.

Seokmin happily followed. “WE HEARD YOU WERE WATCHING A MOVIE!”

“Where’d you hear that?” Seungcheol asked.

“Vernon told us.” Seungkwan said as he put the snacks he brought on the counter. “Hey Jihoon!”

Jihoon gave an amused smile. “Hey Seungkwan.”

“Vernon?” Seungcheol asked.

“Hansol,” Jihoon answered. “That’s his middle name.”

“Uh huh.” Seungcheol came around the corner and gave his friend a funny look. “How do you know that?”

Seungkwan meekly grinned as he ruffled through his snacks. “He told me. I thought it suited him better.”

“Uh huh.” Seungcheol looked over at Seokmin on the couch, who just raised his eyebrows a few times.

Noticing his boyfriend’s behavior, Jihoon elbowed him in the ribs, making him hunch over and grab his stomach. “So you guys decided to join us?”

“I hope you don’t mind!” Seokmin exclaimed.

“No, no,” Seungcheol answered sarcastically. “It’s totally fine. It’s not like the two of us wanted to be alone or anything.”

Seungkwan laughed. “Good!”

Jihoon looked over at Seungcheol, whose head was hanging a little lower. Pinching his cheek, Jihoon grinned. “We have plenty of time to be alone. At least this way we can pick a freakin’ movie.”

Seungcheol weakly nodded. “What do you guys want to watch?” he asked the group.

“I don’t know,” Seokmin replied as Seungkwan sat down next to him. “What looks good?”

Jihoon and Seungcheol both groaned, but before either of them could complain, there was another knock at the door.

“I’LL GET IT!” Seungkwan exclaimed, jumping to his feet.

Seungcheol chuckled and leaned down to whisper to Jihoon, “Does Hansol have special powers or something?”

Jihoon gave him a sly grin and winked. “You mean Vernon?”

With an excited smile, Seungkwan skidded to a stop and threw the front door open. His expression quickly vanished. “Oh. Hey you two.”

“Well, good to see you too, Seungkwannie,” Jeonghan teased as he walked in. Jisoo followed holding a case of sodas.

“You guys started the party without us?” Jisoo joked, putting the drinks on the counter.

Seungcheol watched as his friends crowded the apartment. “Did everyone hear about this party except for us?”

“Thanks for having us,” Jeonghan smiled.

Jihoon batted his hand in the air. “Yeah, yeah. Any time.”

“No!” Seungcheol hollered. “Don’t tell them that! They’ll literally be here any time!”

Jisoo laughed and opened a bag of chips. “We’re lucky he found you, Jihoon. Seungcheol’s never been really good at hosting.”

Jihoon chuckled but Seungcheol just shook his head. “No, no. It’s not that I’m not good, it’s that I don’t want to!” He turned back to his boyfriend and sighed. Slightly pouting, he explained, “Hosting is stressful.”

Laughing, Jihoon wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s waist. “It’s okay. I’m good at it.”

For a moment, the two of them just smiled at each other, resting in their own embrace. Jisoo watched with a pleased grin before taking his snacks over to the couch. “So what’re we watching?”

Seokmin was still scrolling through on Seungcheol’s laptop. “Haven’t decided. What do you guys want to watch?”

“I don’t know,” Jisoo said. “What looks good?”

“I can’t believe this,” Seungcheol muttered.

Still in his arms, Jihoon said, “Ten bucks says we never pick a movie.”

Seungcheol rubbed his face on top of Jihoon’s head when there was another knock at the door. Seungkwan jumped up again, but this time Jihoon went to get it. “I wonder who that could be,” he said sarcastically.

“Whoever it is the better know what they want to watch,” Seungcheol scoffed and followed behind.

Jihoon opened the door and smiled. “Well, it’s our lovely neighbors!” he said jokingly.

Mingyu flashed him a cheeky grin. “Thanks for the invite,” he said sarcastically. “We had to hear about this from Seungkwan.”

“We did too,” Seungcheol commented.

Wonwoo walked in and put their snacks with the others. “Thanks for having us, hyung. I know how you don’t like—”

“Yeah, yeah, go enjoy yourself,” Seungcheol interjected, leading him towards the others.

He laughed at his friend and joined the rest of the people. “Hey guys!”

“Hey!”

Sitting on the arm of the couch, he leaned in and asked, “What’re we watching?”

Mingyu watched his boyfriend as he stood by the door with Jihoon. “He’s so hot,” he mumbled.

Jihoon rolled his eyes. “Mingyu-ah.”

“Yeah,” he said, turning to face him.

“You’re thinking out loud again.”

Blushing, Mingyu rubbed the back of his neck. “Sorry. It’s just that—”

“He’s so hot,” Jihoon teased. At the same time, he couldn’t help but gaze at his own boyfriend. “I get it.”

Mingyu laughed and ruffled Jihoon’s hair before going to join the others on the already cramped couch. Just as Jihoon was shutting the door, someone stuck their foot in and stopped it.

“Don’t forget about us!” Minghao exclaimed as he pushed the door back open.

“How could I?” Jihoon joked.

Hansol smiled as the three roommates walked in. “I see that we’re fashionably late.”

“What? Did you set a time for this gathering I didn’t know about?” Jihoon asked, crossing his arms and raising his eyebrows. “Vernon?”

Smiling big, Hansol nervously laughed, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Just then, Seungkwan called from across the room, “VERNON!”

Immediately, Hansol’s hand shot up to wave as he headed towards him. “AY!”

Minghao laughed as Jihoon looked to him. “Have you been doing what I asked?”

He nodded. “I’ve been keeping a close eye.”

“And?”

Minghao shrugged. “Can’t say for sure. They’re getting pretty close, but I don’t know if it’s like that. They may actually be just friends.”

“Thanks, Minghao,” Jihoon chuckled as he left to go sit. He turned and faced the last person at the door. He furrowed his eyebrows. “Soonyoung, you okay?”

But Soonyoung didn’t answer. He had this frozen look on his face, like a deer in headlights. “Soonyoung?” Jihoon said again.

All of a sudden, he grabbed Jihoon by the wrist and said, “I need to talk to you,” as he pulled him into the hall and shut the door.

Once they were out of the apartment, Soonyoung kept dragging his friend towards the end of the hallway. “Woah. Where are we going?” Jihoon frantically asked.

“I know better,” Soonyoung explained. “I don’t want the others hearing this.” He stopped once they were out of hearing range.

“What is it?” Jihoon questioned.

“When you first met Seungcheol,” he started, rubbing his palms together, “what did it feel like?”

Totally thrown for a loop, Jihoon just squinted at him. “What?”

“Just!” he uttered, shaking his hands by his head. Jihoon jolted as his friend tried to calm down. He took a deep breath. “Just...answer the question.”

“Uhhh.” Jihoon quickly tried to gather his thoughts. A warm feeling started to flood him as he recalled that turning point again. “It was...nerve-wracking. I remember hearing his voice and...just staring at him. I couldn’t form words.” He stopped to chuckle. “I probably looked like a total idiot.”

Soonyoung listened intensely as Jihoon paused. “But…,” Soonyoung started, “you said that you had this ‘feeling,’ like you could tell there was something there.”

“Well, I was attracted to the guy, yeah sure,” Jihoon explained. “He threw me off guard and we kinda clicked.”

He nodded and in his lips. “Right. You guys clicked.”

“Yeah,” Jihoon kept going. He smiled at the thought. “It just felt right. Like, it was confusing, but it all makes sense now. I was so nervous and really antsy and just out of my element. It felt like I was falling, or something. But it definitely felt right.”

Soonyoung nodded. “Right.”

Snapping back to the moment, Jihoon asked, “What’s this even about?”

“Nothing,” Soonyoung sighed.

But Jihoon knew better. “Is this about Seokmin and what happened when we were all moving?”

Soonyoung leaned against the wall and refused to look at his former roommate. “Maybe.”

Unable to resist, Jihoon smiled. “Well, you’ve seen him since then. Why’re you being all weird?”

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” he admitted.

Jihoon was about to continue his questioning, but a familiar voice interrupted their conversation.

“What’re you guys doing out here?” Junhui asked as he and Chan approached them.

Jihoon chuckled, “Soonyoung has problems.”

“That you’re terrible at helping me with.”

Chan smiled and hugged his giant tub of candy. “What kind of problems?”

“Ones that you already know about,” Soonyoung groaned, pulling his hair out of his face.

Junhui furrowed his eyebrows. “Is this still about Seokmin?”

“Our Soonyoung doesn’t know how he feels about him,” Jihoon informed them.

Soonyoung groaned again and sank to the floor. “I have no idea what’s happening to me.”

“You probably just have a crush on him,” Chan suggested.

“Oh yeah!” Soonyoung exclaimed sarcastically. “A crush! Why didn’t I think of that?! That makes perfect sense! Thanks, Chan! That really helps me be in the same room as him!”

The other three eyed each other, all used to Soonyoung in his state of frustration but alien to him this flustered by another’s presence.

Jihoon squatted down to be at his eye level. “You’re being ridiculous.”

“Says you!” he shouted. “You freakin ran away from home when you were in love with Seungcheol!”

Raising an eyebrow at him, Jihoon suggestively said, “So you’re in love now?”

Soonyoung tried to kick him away. “OH, BE QUIET!”

Junhui laughed and added, “Why don’t you just tell him how you feel?”

But Chan just scoffed. “You know how well that goes,” he said in Chinese.

Junhui quickly gave him the death glare. “Shut up.”

Soonyoung looked up at both of them. “What did you say?”

“Nothing important,” Junhui insisted. “Soonyoung, for now, you should just try to be in the same place as Seokmin. As hard as it is, just do that. You’ll learn to enjoy it.” He nodded at them before saying, “Don’t be out here too long. We’ll tell them to hold the movie.”

Jihoon and Soonyoung nodded before Junhui and Chan made their way to the apartment. Chan slyly smiled and patted his friend on the back. “The master sharing his knowledge with the new student. I like that. All your experience of quietly taking rejection has finally come in handy.”

Again, Junhui glared just as he was about to open the door. “Shut up.”

Watching their friends disappear behind the door, Jihoon turned back to Soonyoung who was actually looking pretty glum. “Whatever you’re feeling for Seokmin, it’ll fade if you want it to. Otherwise, just get to know him. You’ll learn if what you’re feeling is what you want to feel.”

He raised his eyebrow questionably. “Was that what happened with Seungcheol?”

“Trust me when I say you don’t want to go through what I did with Seungcheol,” Jihoon said with a smile. He stood up and extended his arm. “It doesn’t have to be that hard.”

Taking it, Soonyoung stood up. “I hope you’re right.”

As they walked back, Jihoon said, “Just try not to be too stupid.”

“Yeah, I really don’t miss living with you.” But even so, he laughed.

They walked back inside to find everyone crammed in the living room. Someone had moved the coffee table so there was enough room for everyone to spread out on the couch or the floor. By the looks of it, Wonwoo and Mingyu were making themselves comfortable on the ground while Jeonghan and Jisoo took a corner of the couch. Thankfully both couples were keeping the PDA to a minimum. Hansol and Seungkwan were enthusiastically helping Seokmin search on the laptop while Junhui, Chan, Minghao, and Seungcheol were in the kitchen.

Jihoon looked over and could tell that Soonyoung was still nervous, so he gave him a friendly shove towards the crowd. “Just be yourself, loser.”

Soonyoung rapidly nodded. “Right.” Swallowing hard, he put on a huge smile and spread his arms wide. All of a sudden he screamed, “THE PARTY HAS ARRIVED!”

Everyone turned. Surprised at first, they all immediately broke out into a round of applause, accompanied with hoots and hollers. Seokmin, though, had a softer smile and waited until he made eye contact with Soonyoung to flash his beautiful teeth.

Jihoon rolled his eyes and patted him on the back. “Good work.”

Satisfied, Soonyoung went to the others while Jihoon joined his boyfriend. “Did they pick anything yet?”

“Unfortunately, no,” Seungcheol groaned.

Chan laughed and stuffed some popcorn in his face. Jihoon noticed that more bags were popped. “What were you guys gonna watch?”

“We never got that far before Seungkwan and Seokmin showed up,” Jihoon explained.

Minghao smiled and grabbed a soda. “They better pick soon. I’m getting tired,” he said as he headed for a seat next to Wonwoo on the floor. Since learning that some of their new friends spoke Chinese, Minghao made sure to stay near them so Junhui couldn’t pull any of his “more-than-friends” crap. As entertaining as it was, Minghao appreciated some nights without it.

Annoyed at how careful he had to be now and also uneasy because of the information Seungkwan knew, Junhui pushed Chan to sit between him and Minghao. As they sat down, Junhui said, “So. Mingyu.”

“Yeah?” Mingyu answered, his arm tightly around his boyfriend.

“I heard you’re back to painting,” he eagerly said.

Grinning, Mingyu nodded. “Yeah.” He turned to look at the beaming Wonwoo. “Best decision I ever made.”

Wonwoo scoffed. “You mean I made.” He faced the others. “Everyone knows he never would’ve if it wasn’t for me.”

The others laughed as Mingyu continued to smile at Wonwoo. “Whatever,” he said as he softly kissed the boy’s cheek.

“Please,” Chan said, leaning over to put his hand on Mingyu’s knee. “None of that during the movie.”

In the kitchen, Seungcheol watched the scene play out, paying close attention to Junhui. Leaning into his boyfriend a little, he quietly asked, “Hey, is there anything between Junhui and Minghao?”

“What?” Jihoon uttered, totally foreign to any of this. “No, there’s nothing going on there. Why? Does it seem like there is?”

Seungcheol squinted. “I don’t know, but I swear I just heard Junhui hit on Minghao.”

“What?!” Jihoon just shook his head and laughed. “Umm, baby, how is that possible?”

“I swear!” Seungcheol laughed. “It was weird to me too!”

“Well, what’d you hear?”

Seungcheol scratched his head and turned around, leaning against the island. “He said it in Mandarin so—”

“Ohhh,” Jihoon chuckled, examining his boyfriend and crossing his arms. “So you speak Mandarin all of a sudden,” he teased.

“Seungkwan taught me now and then. I’m not fluent like some of the other guys, but I know some stuff,” he explained.

“Ooookkkkkaaaaayyyyyyy,” Jihoon said, curiously.

Seungcheol smiled and threw his hands up. “Look! It sounded like he was telling Minghao that he was really cute.”

“Minghao is really cute.”

Seungcheol flashed him a look before lunging forward for a hug. “That’s not the point.”

Jihoon laughed in his chest before saying, “I think you heard wrong, dear.”

“Okay, okay,” he submitted. “You know them better than I do.”

Wiggling his way out of Seungcheol’s arms, Jihoon redirected his attention to the happy crowd in their living room. Seungcheol did the same. “Wasn’t exactly my idea for our movie night,” he admitted.

Jihoon sighed and held him tighter. “They’re all having fun.”

“So am I, don’t get me wrong,” Seungcheol said. “It’s just that I wanted some alone time.”

“Aww baby. Like I said, we’ll have plenty of time alone.”

Seungcheol still pouted as he rested his chin on the boy’s head. He thought for a second before saying, “I don’t think these guys are ever gonna choose a movie.”

Jihoon laughed. “Probably not.”

Seungcheol extended his arms and pushed Jihoon away to look him in the eyes. “Do you wanna go see one?”

“What? And leave everyone here? In our own apartment?” Jihoon scoffed, looking at Seungcheol like he was crazy.

“They’re not gonna notice!” he whispered.

Jihoon looked over again. Everyone was well distracted. Jisoo, Jeonghan, and Chan had taken over the laptop and Soonyoung was facing his fear. Seokmin didn’t look fazed by their conversation, but he was dying on the inside. All he could do was keep smiling. Mingyu, Wonwoo, Minghao, and Junhui were talking about who knows what. That left Seungkwan and Hansol to themselves right behind the couch, chatting away about something that both found interesting. “Minghao was right,” Jihoon thought as he watched those two. “Can’t tell if he’s interested.”

He turned back to Seungcheol and scrunched his nose. “You sure?”

Seungcheol smiled and dove in for a kiss. Pecking him lightly, he pulled away and whispered, “Let’s go!”

Quietly the two of them krept to their shoes. Slipping them on, they carefully tiptoed towards the door before silently slipping out.

As the door shut behind them, Jeonghan scoffed and looked at Jisoo and Chan. “It’s like they think we can’t see them.”

“Ehh, let them think they’re sneaky,” Jisoo said. “It’s romantic.”

Jeonghan grinned and kissed his boyfriend behind the ear. “You’re romantic.”

Jisoo blushed as Chan chuckled and turned to the door. “Are all the couples gonna be like this? Should I just go too?” he joked.

Jeonghan and Jisoo laughed as Jihoon and Seungcheol continued to believe that they had gotten out unnoticed. Seungcheol pulled out his key and locked the door. Throwing his arm over his boyfriend, they both headed down the hall. “And we’re finally alone.”

Jihoon smiled and rubbed his hair on the boy’s neck. “I love you,” he blurted out.

“I love you too,” Seungcheol replied, warmth just oozing through his voice. It would be his greatest mission to prove to Jihoon just how true that statement was. Words couldn’t describe how much Seungcheol felt for this boy, but in a moment like this, it was like he didn’t need to say anymore.

Jihoon looked up and admired the boy he was lucky enough to call his. “So, a movie?”

“Movie sounds good.”

his arm, Jihoon leaned into his boyfriend as they turned the corner. He felt his heart jump, thinking about what Soonyoung had asked him earlier. Those feelings he had that first day, they were still with him. Then, Jihoon slumped and sighed when he thought of something else.

“What movie?”


thank you as always for reading and supporting!!! it really means a lot reading all the comments and everything you're all so awesome thank you XD i hope the new year brings you all good things and even better fics!!