Granted

Sketchbook

Flashback 5 years ago

I haven’t still totally moved on after Jae Kyung left me and went back to his parents at America. We just graduated and we just have this great plans of getting to the same university. I was so totally wasted a week has already passed and I do really miss him so much.

“Jin Young?” as my mother slowly entered the room it seems she’s checking up on me.

“Ne?” as I sulk on myself to my blanket.

“Aigoo. My baby is still throwing a tantrum because of Jae Kyung. Aren’t you happy that he’ll be reunited with his family now?” as she brushed my hair, I really love it when she comforts me.

“I’m happy for him.” As I responded emotionless. I do sound like a spoiled brat like now,

“Well, we do have new neighbors right now, and they moved up to Jae’s aunt’s home, since Sun Kyi decided to go back to her hometown.”

“I see.” Until the doorbell rang.

“Well, it must be them shall we welcome them together?” as she pulled me out from my bed.

“Ne.” I dashed off to the door since it would be pretty rude to wait up a visitor.

“Wait a sec. ah? Anyeonghaseyo…” as I opened the door and greeted them politely, I noticed such good-looking woman on her mid-40s with her good-looking son who’s the one carrying the rice cakes, then my mother appeared at the door.

“Oh, anyeonghaseyo. Please get in.” As I noticed it seems she’s also pretty astonished to their god and goddess like features.

“Ah, no thanks we’re here to give this rice cakes to you.” As his son gave the rice cake to my mom while I was still dumbfounded.

“Oh, kamsahabnidda.”

“By the way, I’m Ryu Jin Hee and this is my son Dae Han.”

“Anyeonghaseyo.” As he politely greeted to us.

“Ahh, ne I’m Seo Ye Won and this is my daughter~…”

“You’re Jin Young, am I right?” as Dae Han happily pointed me as if I’m a lost treasure.

“Ah? Ne.”

“Owo, you knew my daughter?” mom gasped in surprise which is new to me.

“How come you knew her Dae Han? To thought of your alma mater is too far from here.”

“Ah, ani. She’s pretty popular in our campus especially when the art competition was there 2 years ago, and she almost won most of the categories. She’s also one of the popular ulzzang that boy’s school surveyed.” Wait if its two years ago? So he’s from that elite all boy school? Wait? Ulzzang? I don’t even have a hint about it.

“Owo, daebak. So your daughter is from Seoul Arts High School?” as his mom also was surprised, now what?

“Ne, she just graduated this year.”

“So with Dae Hannie~…” and now they are having this ahjumma talk while the two of us are just awkwardly stealing stares to each other.

“So you’re going to college?” as I opened up a topic.

“Ne, I was planning at SNU since I passed the scholarship. How about you?” Wow this guy is a smart pants! Well? If that’s so? We will be~…

“Ah? Ne. the university do also offered me a scholarship.”

“Eodi ga yeo?”

“Also at SNU.” As I looked away at his expecting look.

“DAEBAK! I knew you do have a great future.”

“Now you’re flattering me, and by the way I’m not an ulzzang.”

“I’m just telling the truth.”

“You reminded me me of Jae Kyung whenever you act like that.”

“Is he you boyfriend?”

“Huh, him? I’d rather be single even if he’s the only guy remaining in the world. Well, he used to live there at your new home.”

“Oh, so this home do also have a sentimental value to you?”

“A sort of? I grew up lurking around there with him.”

“I see, well you’re still welcome to lurk our new home? So can we be friends?” as he asked for some hand shake to me. Still, I won’t replace Jae Kyung as my best friend.

“Okay, friends.”

END OF FLASHBACK

“Aunt won’t going to reprimand you if you’ll go home drunk?” as I catch up.

“There’s no worries if she’ll know I’m drinking with you.” As he flashed a wink which is too capturing like those popular idols.

“Aigoo~… what a good looking guy we have here. Arasseo, arasseo.”

“Kaja?” as he offered his right arm for me to cling on.

“Kaja!” as I gladly accepted it.

 

 

 

 

“Daebak, you guys are so tough!” as our drinking time was filled with laughter with our stories and some lame jokes. Until, I got spaced off.

“You miss Jae Kyung?” as he asked, I’m pretty certain that he’s pretty tipsy right now.

“NE! You really knew me that well, Dae Han.” as I lightly pinched his perfectly made nose.

“But still, you don’t really knew how I really felt right now.”

“Mind to share it then?”

“No, just forget about it. I’m just feeling dizzy you know.”

“Omo! Hmmm, how about we’ll drop by to my studio.” Since we’re pretty afar from our homes and my personal studio is just in front of where we are drinking up.

“Let’s get going then?” as I assisted him to stand up and I have to release my not so manly strength.

“Mianha, Jin Young I’m not drunk I’m just a little bit ahhh??? I’m just tipsy.” And now he’s talking gibberish.

“Arasseo, ka? Ahjumma! We’re leaving!” actually we’re one of the regular costumers at this stall since we’re college if we do have this so called student heart aches.

“Oh, this young man is still not so tough to soju. Okay you guys take care then, by the way are you heading to your studio?”

“Ne.”

“Okay, I’ll drop by some soup for hangover, okay?”

“Ahh, kamsahamnidda!” and we left the shop. She never fails to bring seaweed soup for Dae Han. As you can see I’m pretty tough when it comes to soju.

“Jin Young-ah~ mian.” Now he’s literally drunk.

“Kwenchana.”

“But, I’m a real tough guy, even though I’m weak to alcohol.”

“I know, that’s why I like you for being tough.”

“As a man?” now that’s way a tough question just like those bloody math problems.

“Well, we’re here.”

“Wait a sec.” as he blocked me and pinned me to the wall, now I’m pretty used with this scenario.

“AIGOO~… this guy!” as I pluck off his forehead.

 “Mian!” as he took the keys from me and went inside immediately. My studio does have a two separate room which is intended for an opposite guest when I’m staying here over night. I do also have my general cleaning here once a week, good thing I just clean up this place yesterday for I know I’ll be pretty caught up with my working schedule.

“Change up and wash up yourself at your room!” well yeah, that vacant room is his sleeping quarters whenever he study here overnights sometime I do accompany him whenever I have to catch up some projects.

“Ne!” as he went to his room immediately, he do even have some of his clothes there, it seems we’re just board mates in here.

“Aigoo, I think I’ll have my night here then?”

 

 

“Dae Han, breakfast is ready.” As I went to his room and he’s still on his bed lying.

“Uhhhh~…” and now he’s sulking like a kid.

“You do still have work. YEOBO!” and he stood up from his bed. Just want to start up a great day.

“You just called me, YEOBO??!!” now he’s smiling like Joker.

“Ne, yeobo? So shall we have our breakfast then? I just heat up some seaweed soup that ahjumma dropped by.”

“Jeongmal? Yeobo, water please?” as he took a seat. When we tried to fool ourselves sometimes we often played as husband and wife and we started doing this when we’re still at college, from the moment that my brother bought this studio for me. Yup, I do have other siblings but he’s not my biological brother. He’s pretty busy on his European tour for his work and he managed to give our parents a great life.

“Good thing Mom do also dropped by here and brought us some side dishes.” And he start digging up his meal.

“Ah, ne yeobo? Your birthday is near?” as he opened up my upcoming birthday.

“Are you preparing some surprises for me?”

“I’ll be busy for the convention.”

“You’re so mean, yeobo.” As I put out some little aegyo.

“I want you to hate me more, yeobo.”

“Now that’s hurting me.”

“Because I do believe in the saying. THE MORE YOU HATE, THE MORE YOU LOVED.”

“Aigoo~… how greasy! Eat up your breakfast so you can changed up! Your mom also brought you some clothes for work.”

“Ne, yeobo. I’ll go get my car after this so I can fetch you to your working place.”

“Arasseo. Okay since I have to doll up myself too.”

“You’re already pretty, yeobo.”

“Aish, I know. Your eyes are pretty defective, better check it to the ophthalmologist.”

“Your way too humble. By the way, do you still keep on receiving those sketches from your secret admirer?” oh yeah I almost forgot about it, it’s been also 5 years that he left some drawings for me. I wonder where he might be now. Yet, when I got to college I’m starting to receive some chocolates at my locker. Jeez, I’m I that scary for them to approach me.

“Now what? What are you trying to say? That I should engage in a relationship now?”

“Exactly, you’ve lost a half of your teenage life because of that.”

“That’s because I’m quite satisfied with your companionship and so with Jae Kyung. It feels like that you guys are already my boyfriends? Like that?”

“Now?”

“Hmmm, I’m looking for guys who were just like you guys.”

“Arasseo. I shall grab my car then, yeobo.” Then he left the studio with a pinch on my cheeks

“That would be a lot better.” I hate it when he talks about me involving in a relationship. It reminds me of those freaking frustrations I have during my crush life. I’m pretty scared on involving such relationships like that especially in this stage where you have to engage such serious commitment.

“Miss Seo Jin Young?” as I heard I knock out from the door. I guess it’s the mailman?

“Ne?” as I entertained him as what I’ve guess, it’s the mailman.

“A package for you, and please sign here.” And I signed it immediately.

“Thanks” I quickly opened the package and saw a medium sized treasure box and a card.

“This penmanship?!”

 

 

“Oi, Jin Young is that your boyfriend I thought you’re single?” as Han Sung-sunbaenim went to my desk.

“Even though I engaged into a relationship my civil status would be still SINGLE, oppa. Except if I do get married and FYI he’s not my boyfriend, he’s my neighbor.”

“For real?”

“FOR REAL.”

“He’s a boy next door type.” As Shin Ho-sunbaenim sat on his desk.

 “You just said so.”

“You don’t have any feelings for him?”

“Hmmm, he’s a brother to me. Therefore, not.”

“Ouch.” As they chorused in a sarcastic way, now what? Are they also assuming that Dae Han do also have feelings for me?

“Let’s have our morning assembly guys at the head’s office.” As Director Cha caught our attention as he went out to his office.

“Ne.”

 

 

“The MV project is now on the process of checking it so they can film it, but still they are still looking for suitable director that would lead the other project. Once again, thanks for your hard work. Okay, for the upcoming project we will be helping Aniplex for this two anime project for the summer season. So, Director Cha and Director Park we will be needing your hand once again.” As the production team head Director Im Tae Wan discuss.

“You guys will be leaving to Japan with your selected key artist next week for the meeting. So that’s all for today, thanks for coming.” And we left the conference hall.

“Okay, I will definitely look forward again working with Aniplex.” As Han Sung-sunabaenim happily went out to conference hall. Hearing the company Aniplex is such a ring to my bell.

“Ne, I heard you do also once worked as a sort of request from NHK Animation for their short film animation, Jin Young?” as Shin Ho-sunbaenim asked me, now that reminds me, but still I haven’t gone to Japan.

“Ah, ne but I haven’t gone to Japan for that project. They just went here with the episode director.”

“I guess it would be a heaven to you if you’ve gone there, I know you’re an otaku.” As Shin Ho-sunbaenim bust me.

“You just said so, oppa.”

“Guys, let’s have our meeting?” as Director Cha approached us and we immediately head to out meeting hall.

 

 

“The President has finally selected the following representatives for the project with Aniplex. It would be Shin Ho and Jin Young. Han Sung and I would be in charge of the upcoming project here in Seoul. ” Now that do truly surprised me!

“Too bad, I can’t see Jin Young this much again.” As Han Sung-sunbaenim pretends to be so jealous.

“Don’t worry Han Sung, they’ll be gone just for one month.”

“I’ll probably gone insane for that hyung.”

“You should better pursue the script writing career you’re pretty good.” As Director Cha tried to pull out a joke.

“Now you just mention that hyung.”I guess I shall prepare myself for a special mission?

 

“So I won’t be able to see you for almost 1 month? This would be sad, by the way did your parents do already knew about this?” as I have a dinner with Dae Han since he just have his salary, so it’s his treat.

“I guess that’s it? But it’s not like that I’m going to live there for almost a decade and have my family there, well I do found it a great idea?”

“Can I be part of that family too?”

“Sure, what position are you going to apply?”

“I’m thinking, an application that requires a ring and a sweet I DO.”

“Sure, you can be my wife.” As I replied to him coldly.

“I want to be the husband.” As he replied with irony.

“I’ll try to think of it, actually I like you to be my husband, but I’m doubting.” Yes, I do like Dae Han and I found him a great guy.

“Well, I love you.” Now this is getting serious.

“Are you sure about it?”

“Yes, I’m just waiting for that prefect timing.”

“But you do already know that I didn’t give you any,”

“I know, it’s my choice and I’m so very stern about that choice I’ve made.”

“Okay, shall we have another set of samgyupsal? This conversation makes me hungry.”

“Even if we don’t have this king of conversation I know you’ll ask for another set, Jin Young.”

“I don’t know why I love you calling my name with that kind of tone? And I hate it why are you much good looking than me.”

“My crush is insecure to me, I love that.” As he tried to tease me, I was just trying to brighten up the mood after that serious conversation a while ago.

“I’ll make you suffer.”

“By what?”

“By missing me for one month, you’ll never received a single mail or call from me.”

“That is pretty fatal to my heart.”

“I’m kidding, I hate it if the guy that I cherished the most will be gone forever. Sorry for being sly.”

“I know. Do you still haven’t received an update about Jae Kyung?”

“Oh yeah, now that you just mentioned about it. Just this morning I received a package from him.”