Chapter 11: Memories.

How He Healed Her Heart

10 years, that’s how long I’ve been best friends with La-Ra. We met in grade school, and we’ve been together ever since. I still remember back then like it was yesterday, but I’m sure that if you asked La-Ra how we met, she would just say we met in school, knowing her horrible memory.

Anyways, we were in the fourth grade, and she had just moved to the area. I remember her being really shy and quiet, and she wouldn’t say anything unless you spoke to her first.

She moved over from Canada, but she already knew Korean, which came as odd to all of us kids at that time. None of us knew how she learned Korean, and how she was so good at it.

I never bothered to talk to her because I was busy spending time with my friends. Which looking back on it now I really feel bad for not becoming friends with her sooner.

I remember one day during snack break that one of my friends dared me to talk with her for the entirety of the next class, and so I took them up on the dare.

Luckily, in each of our classes we got to sit wherever we wanted to. When I looked around to see where she was sitting, I saw here alone in the corner of the class.

I waited to see if anyone would join her, but after everyone was in class no one went to sit next to her. ‘Did she always sit on her own?’ I wondered.

There was an empty desk right next to hers, so I sat down in it. When she noticed me there she looked at me with a confused expression. “I’m Amber” I said to her as I sat down. “Your name’s Laura right?” A slight nod in response. “Do you not have any friends here yet?” She lightly shuck her head. “Well,” I started “from now on I’m your friend, Ok.” I said as I ruffled her soft hair.

The rest of the class went a lot like that. I would ask her thing and I would get either a nod or a very quiet answer. Man she was such an introvert back then – even more than now, and that’s saying something.

Anyways, I managed to talk with her, and by the end of the period she was saying her sentences a bit louder, so I made some progress there.

 I ended up spending the whole school day with her after that, and by then it felt like she was pretty comfortable with me.

“You know’” I heard her soft voice start, “you remind me of a Llama.” She said with a soft smile.

“How so?” I asked her.

“Well,” she started, “you’re really nice and soft like a Llama, but when you’re mad at people they know it.” Her eyes lowered to her feet. “At least that’s what I can tell so far.” Her voice was quieter than before when she said that last part.

“How could you tell that? I’ve never been mad at you.” I said questioning the quiet girl next to me.

“Yesterday, when that boy took your juice box, I saw how mad you got at him.” She stated as her eyes stayed staring at her feet.

“You know what,” I looked at her with a smile, “that’s pretty right about me.” I turned my head to look forward. “be nice to be and I’ll be nice to you, but the moment you make me mad I’ll spit at you!” I punched the air to add effect to my words, and when I did I heard a soft giggle come from the girl standing beside me.

“Llama!” She chirped as she pocked my side while giggling. I got to admit, even though she was weird and quiet most of the time, she was still a lot of fun to hang with.

“Umm, Llama?” I heard her say softly after a short moment of silence between us, and I looked over at her. 

“What is it?” She looked to be a little uncomfortable while I gazed at her.

“Would you, umm,” her eyes went back to her feet as she spoke, “Would you, like to come over?” She asked. “To my place, I mean. So we can hang out longer.”

“Sure,” I smiled at her, “I would love to, La-Ra.” Her eyes widen at my nickname for her.

“Did you call me ‘La-Ra’?” She asked, wide eyed.

“Yeah. Since you’re calling me ‘Llama’ I’m going to call you ‘La-Ra’.” A huge grin played on my lips. “But only we can call each other that, OK!” I held out my pinky finger. She wrapped hers around my own and nodded with a small giggle.

About ten minutes passed, during that time we were walk to her place, chatting and laughing nonstop. You know, once she gets comfortable with someone she can easily talk with them, and she can go on for hours sometimes.

“That’s my house there.” La-Ra said as she pointed at her home. It looked to be fairly small from the outside, but it also looked pretty cozy too. The front door open to reveal a woman.

“Mama!” La-Ra called as she ran up to a large house. She held onto my hand as she ran, both of us were smiling and giggling as we neared the house.

“Yes Laura?” The lady with long black hair stepped out of the house to greet us, and we were now panting for breath. Why La-Ra decided to drag me along as she ran? I don’t know.

“Look! Look!” La-Ra said, very excitedly might I add. “I made a friend at school today!” She chirped. I  bowed and presented a cute smile. “Her name’s Llama,” she continued, “that’s my nickname for her, but only I can call her that!” She stated, pointing at herself.

“My name’s Amber.” I said while smiling at the woman who I came to know as Laura’s mother. She was very pretty, short – tall compared to us, but hay, we were kids then – and had a kind and sort look to her.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Amber.” The lady said with a sweet smile, making her look even nicer than before.

”Is it okay if she comes in to play?” La-Ra asked her mother with big puppy eyes.

“Of course sweetie, but she has to let her parents know where she is, alright.” The lady said as she headed for the car that’s parked in the driveway. “Also, your father is asleep right now, so try to keep the noise down.” She said before she entered the car.

La-Ra and I both nodded to her before she drove away. We then turned and went inside. I called my parents to let them know where I was – like what La-Ra’s mom wanted me to.

We spent that day playing games and having fun, and since then the two of us had been the best of friends.

 

 

Annyeonghaseyo! I know, this chapter is a bit short, buit this is just a filler chapter. I know I haven't posted in a while, and I'm really sorry about that, but I've had a lot on my mind lately, so I haven't been in the right moodset to write anything. As I said, this is just a filler, so please don't get mad at me for it beinmg so short.

I hope to get started on the next chapter soon, and I hope to make it a longer chapter as well, and hopefully have something happen in it that I've been meaning to get at for a while now. What that is, I'm not saying.

Anyway, that you so much for putting up with me and my messed up posting time, and I hope you enjoy this chapter nonetheless.

Thank you!!!