Epilogue

Severed

"Kindly turn off all personal electronic devices, including mobile phones and laptops..." The in-flight announcement sounded. Moonbyul switched off her phone after checking one last message and put it away.

"I'm sorry, miss," a voice said politely.

She turned to look at the flight attendant. "No mobile phones," she said with a smile, holding up her hands. 

The flight attendant returned the smile and nodded. "I better return to my seat," she said as she looked at her colleagues rushing to their seats and walked away, brushing her hand against Moonbyul's. 

The plane took off and it was not long before the plane started cruising. Moonbyul took out a book and pretended to read it while keeping an eye on the aisle. 

"Is there anything you need, miss?" The same flight attendant asked. It was too polite, and Moonbyul scowled. She did not like it. 

She put away the book and looked at the woman behind the cart. A year passed and things were not the same. She could see a part of the scar that the scarf failed to cover and she bit her lip in attempt to distract herself from the unnecessary thoughts. "Tea, please," she said.

The flight attendant watched as Moonbyul flipped through her book. "Tea?" She repeated the order under her breath. "Here you go," she said as she placed the cup on the tray table. 

"Thank you," Moonbyul said, avoiding the flight attendant's gaze. She brought the cup to her lips and a little too much liquid went in. "Argh, hot!" She hissed and stuck her tongue out.

"Are you okay?" Solar bent down immediately and turned Moonbyul's head towards her. Their faces were too close and she could feel the other passengers looking at them weirdly. She cleared and stood up straight, as if nothing happened. "Anything for you, sir?" She turned to the middle-aged man sitting beside Moonbyul and asked with a smile. 

Moonbyul blinked, and looked at the cup in front of her. "That's not tea," she mumbled to herself. The liquid in the cup was too dark to be tea.

"Here's your coffee," she said to the man. 

Moonbyul looked up and saw the flight attendant smiling at her before pushing the cart further down the aisle. She said something in a hushed voice as she walked past which Moonbyul thought it sounded like "Why are you so dumb?" Feeling offended, she turned around and glared at the back view of the flight attendant, but she gave up as soon as she remembered the cup of coffee in front of her. 

Unlike her previous trip to Madrid, Moonbyul was completely knocked out, even after drinking coffee. She was just a year older but she felt like her entire soul was about to leave her body. She waited at the entrance of the arrival hall, half-asleep while standing and finally the flight attendant who took the wrong order appeared in front of her. 

"Sorry to keep you waiting," Solar said as she held onto Moonbyul's arm.

"It's okay, I didn't wait for very long anyway," Moonbyul lied. She had been waiting for almost 30 minutes but it did not matter because it was Solar. If her officers were to make her wait for even one minute, she would have made them clean her office three times, let alone 30 minutes. "Let's go," she said with a smile and took Solar's hand, exiting the airport together.

They were back at the place where everything began a year ago, where she met Solar again. This time, it was a bit different. 

Solar took care of the luggages as soon as they reached their hotel room while Moonbyul checked her phone. As expected, there were messages, but she did not get the chance to read them.

"You promised," Solar said as she grabbed the phone from behind, and wrapped her arms around Moonbyul's waist. 

Moonbyul laughed as she saw the disapproving look on Solar's face out of the corner of her eye. She held onto the other person's hands and fiddled with the ring on her ring finger. "I did," Moonbyul said. "Old habits die hard, I'm sorry." 

"Hey, at least you agreed on coming this time," Solar leaned her head on Moonbyul's shoulder. "And I'm sorry for neglecting you recently."

"You're getting a promotion, I understand. Of course I'll agree, I said I'll make it up to you, right?" Moonbyul turned around and held Solar's face in her hands. "Our honeymoon."

"And I'm working," Solar sulked.

Moonbyul pinched her cheeks and laughed. She loved doing that, and she simply could not resist. "Well, we still get three days to ourselves. We can always go somewhere else afterwards," she said. 

"Since when are you so enthusiastic about travelling?" Solar swatted Moonbyul's hand away from her face.

"When I realised I should really spend more time with you," Moonbyul said as she pulled her wife in for a hug. She could still remember how devastated she was when she thought she was going to lose Solar forever. I still haven't travel around the world with her, there are so much food that we have yet to taste together, and I simply haven't spend enough time with her. All these thoughts ran through her mind and they wrecked her, until Solar opened her eyes and called her name. Then she realised how transient life was, and she should not live it by proving how capable she was just to make herself feel better and neglect the people she loved. 

A few months afterwards, Solar told her about the snippets of memories that came back to her. She told her about dropping into the pit of darkness from the roof, something that did not happen in reality. Did Solar feel that way when they broke up? Moonbyul thought. Solar always looked calm, maybe that was the reason why she thought she would be okay, but how could she? She let her slip away when she promised to hold on. If only she had held on, all these would not have happened. 

"Byul?" Solar called out softly. Moonbyul's silence bothered her. She could already guess what the other person was thinking about. "Didn't we talk about this already?"

Moonbyul sighed. "I know. It's just that... I-I can't stop thinking about it. It's difficult, especially..." She did not finish her sentence as she simply stared at the scar on Solar's neck. She gently grazed her thumb over the scar like she was afraid that it would hurt the other person, but she knew it would not, only the memories of it would. 

"Byul, look at me," Solar whispered, and waited for Moonbyul to look at her before she spoke again. "Whatever it is, you don't have to be afraid. What's ours would be ours, no one can take it away, until destiny decides to severe that bond between us."

Destiny. Moonbyul laughed. Someone said something similar. 

"What's so funny?" Solar hit Moonbyul lightly in the stomach. She was being very serious. 

Moonbyul shook her head and sighed again. "Destiny. Someone believed in that too," she said.

"Who?" Solar asked. 

Moonbyul traced her fingers down Solar's neck, along her arm and then to her fingers. The ring fitted perfectly.. "My father," she said with a small smile. 

Solar was surprised when Moonbyul mentioned her father. It was her first time mentioning her father voluntarily and it was a good sign. It was about time, really. "You can always talk to me, you know?" Solar said. "I'll always listen."

"I know," Moonbyul said, nodding. "I'll... Stop thinking about it. It's our honeymoon. No unpleasant thoughts, happy thoughts only." 

Solar laughed at Moonbyul talking to herself. She was still the same person she fell in love with. "Yes, we should go out for a walk," she said. 

"Where do you want to go?" She asked.

"Shall we go Puerta Del Sol?" Solar said with the same gleam in her eyes.

She was not going to lie. Memories came back; the encounter with Ahn Hun Sang; the photograph of Solar with herself that dropped out of Jung Won Il's diary when she was looking through. She knew it would take some time for those memories to stop bothering her, but she was not going to let them affect her now. Not when she should be enjoying her precious time with her wife. Happy thoughts, she told herself mentally. She smiled and pressed a kiss on Solar's lips.

"Anywhere you wish, I'll go with you," she said.

-

A/N: And... That's it! This is the end of Severed ;~; I can't believe I finished another story. Thank you to each and every one of you out there who read this story, be it a chapter or the entire thing. A special shoutout to the readers who read this story from the very first chapter and stayed with me. You know who you are :) I appreciate every comment that you gave, and you have no idea how happy they made me. I'll miss brainstorming about this chapter and thinking where I should cut each chapter, but most importantly, I'll miss writing this story. I can't exactly remember where I got the inspiration for this story but it just blew off in my head and I never looked back. Once again, thank you for reading this story, I hope to come back with a better one next time :)