Chapter 1

Daddy, fool!

“Daddy are you going to work late tonight again?”

Jongin hasn’t even reached the last step of the stairs when his eldest son, Josh, steps right in front of him with wide, gorgeous almond eyes identical to Sehun’s (though he wouldn’t admit that aloud). His heart instantly melts into a puddle of goo seeing the hopeful look on the kid’s eyes. He knows he has been spending too much time at the office and less and less with his family, but unfortunately, it’s necessary. He lifts the little ball of happiness in front of him and sits him on his left arm as he walks down the kitchen.

He gives him a peck on the nose before answering, "Unfortunately, yes, daddy needs to work late again."

His 6-year old exchanges a knowing glance with his brother now seated at his usual spot on the round, dining table beside his dada. The youngest, Seth, with dark eyes more identical to Jongin’s, looks at his daddy with wide, innocent eyes. "Daddy is there anything we can do to help?"

He sets Josh down on the floor and turns his attention to his youngest son. He can smell the pancakes Sehun is making from the kitchen. It became perfect overtime. "Go help dada clean your room, will you?" he pecks his precious gem in the nose.

The four-year old scrunches his nose in annoyance. Again, a habit taken from Sehun. He briefly wonders if only Sehun’s survived in the surrogation process. "But it's already clean daddy!" he whines and pouts petulantly.

 

Oh boy. The tantrums. If this isn’t Sehun’s child, he doesn’t know whom else’s.

 

"Daddy you need to come home today early!" his kids protest in unison. It takes a special kind of willpower not to rip his suit off, throw his briefcase outside the window, and go on a family day with his kids on a Friday morning in the middle of the busy streets of New York.

 

He might be missing a special date—kid’s presentation or Parents-Teachers meeting. He quickly scans the folder in his head for any recital or football game his children might be having. He doesn't find any. He stops thinking. It's too early too overuse his brain and he has a long day ahead.

 

Just then, Sehun saves Jongin by emerging from the kitchen with his fluffy looking pancakes and fried sausages. He’s wearing the blue apron Jongin was so reluctant to buy (because apparently Sehun will never learn to cook without burning the kitchen and it’ll be useless.; turns out, Jongin ate his words, along with Sehun's delicious pancakes and other recipes) droplets of sweat tirickling on each side of his cheeks, and his bangs are sticking to his forehead. Still, it’s one of the the most gorgeous Sehun Jongin has ever seen. There he is, all grown up and responsible, so unlike the Sehun he used to pamper before.

 

He never thought having kids would benefit the both of them so much.

 

When Sehun suggested the idea of kids and surrogate to Jongin, his immediate answer was a no because of various reasons. Sehun was never good with kids, hated kids even. He’s a jealous one and responsibilities stress the out of him. Plus, he’s already Jongin’s little baby. What more could he ask for? Besides, the idea of surrogate is a little, scary. What if it didn’t work out? What if they can’t get a proper surrogate? The possibilities of failure are endless.

 

But the slightest chance of success is all Sehun needs, as it turns out.

 

Apparently, Sehun with kids is an entirely different person. It might have something to do with the fact that it’s their flesh and blood and . Jongin has never seen his husband so determined in his life before. He makes it a point to prove to Jongin how responsible and serious he was. He took cooking classes, housekeeping courses, baby-sitting classes, and all other domestic classes Oh Sehun wouldn’t have taken in an entirely different situation. He reduced his expenses too and was suddenly the ambassador of savings, savings, savings. And what could Jongin do? If Sehun wants it so bad to sacrifice the lifestyle he loves, then who is Jongin to deny him of that?

 

“... right daddy?” He feels his husband’s soft lips against his own. He wakes up from his trance and blinks at him in confusion.

 

Warm hazel eyes gaze back at him softly. He smiles fondly. “Yes dada?”

 

Sehun’s eyebrows knit together at his response. “All I’m saying is that once daddy is available and not tired from work, we’ll go on a family trip, right?”

 

Jongin pecks his lips before breaking out in a grin. “Yes dada, that’s right.”

 

 

“Come here now for breakfast or you’ll be late.”

 

Sehun turns around and the naughty part of Jongin where he just wishes to have his husband on his own, for just a day, could not help it, he spanks the younger’s , making him almost drop their breakfast in surprise. Their children look at each other and start to giggle.

 

Sehun looks entirely outrage but refuses to have an outburst in front of their kids. His grim face shows Jongin he’s in big trouble. He retracts his hand back as Sehun turns to face their kids, “That, is very un-gentleman of daddy. Never do that, you hear me?”

 

The two kids look like they are stifling a laugh but one stern look from Sehun and they both nod. Funny, Jongin never thought this bundle of awkward limbs could be intimidating.

 

Apparently, not all traits were taken from Sehun alone. Josh seems to have inherited the ability to dodge awkward conversations from Jongin.

 

“But daddy, you have to be home early later!”

 

Sehun directs his glare to his eldest kid this time.

 

The poor kid exchanges a glance with his younger brother who bites his lips in return, also unsure. And then the children’s resolve crumbles. "Um, okay daddy. Take care. I love you." Josh just presses a light peck on Jongin's lips instead and takes the seat opposite his little brother. (somehow Sehun had learnt to deal with the lips kissing because before he almost dropped dead in panic when he realised that having kids means someone else's lips will touch Jongin's. Now he doesn't mind) 

 

Before Jongin could take his seat next to Sehun, his phone goes off in his briefcase and he sighs. “I’m sorry that’s my cue to leave.”

 

Their sons once again exchange a nervous look, this time, directing it towards their dada who gave them a look that translates to silence. Somehow, Jongin knows he needs to ask what's going on between those three. It’s as if they have a secret they’re not telling him. But he's too late for work to think about it. So he kisses his family goodbye, his lips lingering longer with Sehun. He feels pride and affection and longing squeez his chest painfully. He presses their forehead together and forces a smile, before pulling away and driving off to the office.

 

He briefly wonders why he feels such a stranger in his own home.


[A/N]: I originally planned this as a one-shot. But as usual, it grew on me and it became a mini-ficlet. So I'll be updating this at least once a week (cause I'm always at work yey) and it'll explain what happened in the past few years after they got married. Also, they're still in N.Y. so it makes sense to give english names to their kids, no? And it's lame...not even funny. But I'll try to find my muse promise. Huhuhuhuhuh