One

The Bird Still Sings For You

Taeyeon looks back in her life and she couldn’t remember a time when she wasn’t by Baekhyun’s side.

She was there when they first laid eyes on each other. She was there when she heard his voice for the first time, the beautiful smooth voice from heaven, coating her heart like a warm cozy blanket. Since then she wanted to keep his voice in a jar and open it and listen to him singing whenever she wanted.

 

She was there when he confessed his love to her, writing a song about her and playing it on the piano. She was there when they had their first kiss, remembered the fireworks she felt when their lips met, remembered their hands intertwining together.

 

She was there when she visited him for Christmas break, glad to finally have a time away from tabloids, fans, paparazzi, fame, and only think about each other. Taeyeon had spent the first few minutes being nervous, wondering if Baekhyun would like her present. It wasn’t much, such a necklace with a silver bird, its wings outstretched as if it was taking flight, but it meant something symbolic to her, and it represented freedom, love, peace and everything they were.

 

She was there when Baekhyun opened her present, pulling out the necklace, the bird in his palm. He looked at it for a moment before smiling at her, his eyes glowing with happiness, as he puts the necklace on where the bird rests above his heart. She knew he knew the symbolism behind it.

 

She was there to be a shoulder for Baekhyun to lean on when Kris leaves. She was there to hear him let out choked sobs, there to card her hand in his soft brown hair. She was there to comfort him when he gets hate from fans, when he sees lies from tabloids, and she hates it because no one knew Byun Baekhyun the way she knew him and it hurt her when someone was attacking the boy she loved.

 

Baekhyun had a heart of gold. He was always there to help out s, was always there to make time for her even though both schedules were busy, even though he came, with dark bags under his eyes. He was such a hard worker, practicing with Jongdae and Kyungsoo to work on their vocals for hours. He was such a good hyung, such a good friend, such a good boyfriend and best friend. He cared so much for the members, cared so much for his family, cared so much for Taeyeon.

So Taeyeon hates it so much when he is simply checking his phone and gets attacked with snarky  rude remarks. He doesn’t deserve that, he doesn’t deserve any of that. Baekhyun can act all cool on the outside, like it doesn’t matter, but inside he was hurt, he was insecure about himself. Baekhyun was a human too who had feelings and went through things too. People demanded so much of Baekhyun. He was always scared of failure, scared of failing his loved ones. During their anniversary, he would work so hard trying to make everything perfect for them when all Taeyeon wanted was to forget about the world and be lost in his arms.

 

Baekhyun was treated like a machine. He was doing what he loved but there were nights when he couldn't sleep. Taeyeon would hold his hand and realize that his hand will get smaller and feel more bonier. She was worried for his health and she knew something was wrong with him. She prayed and prayed that she was wrong, probably just imagining.

 

She was there in the hospital with Baekhyun, finding out that he had only four week left to live. She couldn’t describe the feeling inside her. Nothing mattered anymore. Baekhyun’s eyes widened in horror and tears were starting to form. It was unfair. Four weeks. One month. No, no, no. This can’t be happening. Not to Baekhyun, not to her Baekhyun.