Congratulations but Goodbye

Our Story

Walking to Seoul Forest Park with Chanyeol was bliss. We talked about how I hated my last econ class and made fun of the professor like what we always do. He would tease me like he would do every time I’m super sad and I would chase him around the park and laugh with him.

Chanyeol: So, how hard was the exam? Super hard? But I thought you were smart?

Laurene: YAH! Have you tried studying Econ?! It is so hard!

Chanyeol: No it’s not. I bet you I can study it a hundred times and I would still not find it hard. Oh wait, I remembered. Someone told me that if you’re getting old, you’re starting to think that your subjects are hard.

Laurene: 너! (YOU!)

And just like that I would be relieved from the stress that I got from Sir Villasis. Every Thursday is the same, and I wish that it would be like this forever.

Chanyeol: Laurene-ah, look at this. I saw a cake a while ago and I thought that maybe we can eat it for our celebration.

Laurene: Celebration? For what?

Chanyeol: Well, remember last Thursday when I left you at school?

Laurene: Yeah, when you left me and just went ahead here so that you can already eat. Yep, I remember. I FULLY REMEMBER.

Chanyeol: Yah…  미안해. (Sorry.) It’s just that there was something important I had to do that day.

Laurene: And what was that?

Chanyeol: I had to go for my last screening of my audition.

Laurene: Last screening of your audition? Wait, the audition that you have been preparing ever since you came here to Seoul? The SM Open Audition?!

Chanyeol: Yes.

Laurene: 오모!!! 친짜?! (OMO!!! Really?!)

Chanyeol: Ohhh... And the thing is… I got in.

Laurene: 오모! 오모! 오모! (OMO! OMO! OMO!) When did you go for your 1st screening?! Why didn’t you tell me! 

Chanyeol: Yeah thanks for the congratulations. -_-

Laurene: Wait wait! This is all very overwhelming and very shocking! CONGRATULATIONS CHANNIE-AH!

Chanyeol: HAHAHA!!! Thanks!

Laurene: Wait, tell me! When did you go? Why didn’t you tell me?!

Chanyeol: Well, remember that time when we had the school festival, a scout saw me play the guitar and sing. After the performance he approached me and gave me his card. Turns out he’s a scout agent from SM Entertainment. He told me to come to the SM Open Audition, and well I did. I went for my audition last month. Then the 2nd screening was last 2 weeks ago. Those were both on a Saturday, then they called me last week asking me if I have a free weekday. I told them that my Thursday class is only until 2pm and they scheduled my final audition on that day, around 3pm, that’s why I didn’t get to wait for you.

Laurene: I can’t believe I’m just hearing all of this now! I mean, you already went for three auditions!

Chanyeol: 미안해 (Sorry) Laurene-ah. I just didn’t want to jinx it. I didn’t even tell my parents. And you know what; you’re the first person I told this to.

Laurene: Yah! 괜차나! (It's okay!) I’M SO PROUD OF YOU!!! My best friend! An SM trainee!!! This is really good news! 너 대박이야! (You’re the best!)

Chanyeol: Hahaha!!! 고마워! (Thank you!)

Laurene: So, when will you start training?

Chanyeol: Well, next week I’ll already start. Every after class I have to go straight to SM entertainment and train. My Saturdays and Sundays will be spent there as well.

Laurene: Wait what?

Chanyeol: I know. I know. I was shocked too. I already knew training was going to be hard, but even my Saturdays and Sundays. I didn’t expect it to be THAT hard. Even after our recognition rites this year, I’m bound to stay in a dorm and will not be allowed to even use my phone. I will be totally cut off from my social life.

Laurene: So you mean, I won’t be able to even call you? When am I gonna see you?

Chanyeol: Well, for the meantime, while classes are still on going, we can meet every now and then, but when our classes end, I won’t be able to see you.

This is big. I’m truly happy that Chanyeol passed his auditions and is now an SM trainee. He finally made that first step on the career that he have always dreamed of. But at the same time, my heart sank. Every time we’re on summer break, both of our families would go on a trip. If we don’t have plans, we just hang out at each other’s house and watch a movie and order jajangmyun. We always did a lot of things that we don’t usually get to do when we have school. Now, I’m going to spend my summer break alone.

Laurene: Wow! That’s great! At least I won’t see your annoying smile from time to time. Just imagine, a whole summer without a noisy, attention-seeking creature by my side!!! WAAHHH!!! My summer’s gonna be fun!

Chanyeol: What did you say?! Ya! 너! (You!)

I managed to force a smile and laugh in front of him just so he wouldn’t know that I’m disappointed to the fact that I won’t be able to spend time with him during summer vacation and other days that we are usually together. I know deep inside that I should be very happy for him for taking that first vital step to his dreams, but why am I sad? One thing’s for sure, I need to sort out my feelings back home and not now. Knowing Chanyeol's personality, he can hint on even the slightest disappointment that I can feel if I don't properly show a very big smile in front of him.