The Person Always Beside Me

Our Story

Classes just ended, finally. *sigh* I hate Thursdays. Not because among my class schedules it’s the longest, but because our last subject is the worst. Imagine this, the subject is hard enough already then add a bonus professor that had to be the one that I really hate, Sir Villasis. It's really a disaster!!! What's even worse for today is that he gave us a really hard long quiz today. UGGGHHH… Anyway, I hope he waited for me this time. Last week he went ahead, and I had to walk alone to our favorite Thursday spot. It was sort of unusual actually, because he usually waits for me. Well, I better pack up my things fast so I can… ‘ack’!

Chanyeol: Laurene~!!!

Laurene: YAH! 깜짝이야!  (You surprised me!)

My happy virus best friend have just arrived. Thank you Bro that you made him wait for me. This day just can’t be more worse. I think I just had enough for today.

Chanyeol: Did I startle you? 미안! 미안! (Sorry! Sorry!)

Laurene: 괜찮아. (It’s okay.) :P I was just surprised, and that was cold!

I was referring to the ice cold D-Cream special milk tea that he placed on my neck to grab my attention. He just knows the thing that would cheer me up right now. :P Well, he knows everything about me by now.

Park Chanyeol, or as I would usually call him Channie, has been with me ever since grade 5. He was that nerd kid that everybody avoids. As for me, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He wasn’t really good looking; I even told myself he will never have a girlfriend. But at the same time it’s not really in my personality to avoid others before I actually knew them; I just thought that avoiding them would be very rude. And I was right; he was really more than that. Since he was my neighbour and I would usually see him, I realized that he was actually very active, happy and polite. He would always greet the vendors on our street every morning or thank them in the most cheerful way when he buys from them. He was actually the one who approached me first. I can still remember what happened then. He was being cheerful like he is right now.

Chanyeol: 안녕! (Hi!) We just moved here in Seoul! What’s your name? I’m Park Chanyeol, but you can call me Chanyeol.

Laurene: Uhhh, 안녕… (Hi…) My name is Laurene. Well, I hope you would love it here... I guess...

Chanyeol: Well I know I would! I have always wanted to live here. That’s why when my father told me that we would move here I got really excited! We’re from the same class right?

Laurene: 아.. 그렇구나. 네 맞다요. (Ahh... I see. Well, yes you’re right.)

Chanyeol: Yehey! At least now I know someone from our class. From now on you will be my friend! Let’s walk to school every day okay?

Laurene: O-okay.

He was that approachable and happy to meet others. It was my first time to meet someone with that personality. Since I am that girl who is usually quiet and reserved before I fully get to know others, I was pretty shocked and taken aback when he talked to me. At one point, I was hoping that he was joking about us going to school together. But then that didn’t happen and he was happily waiting for me outside my house the next morning when I went out. Ever since that day, we go to school and go home together. He became my best friend and we were inseparable.

Chanyeol: So, ready to go? I can’t wait to eat!

Laurene: 잠깐만. (Wait a minute.) I’m almost done fixing my things.

Chanyeol: Alright.