Home

Home

Jungkook had a lot of things planned out in his life, but lying in bed with his hyung, limbs tangled together haphazardly, staring contently at the sleeping face inches from his own, was not one of them. It’s strange to think about how he got to this place, how he ended up in this home, in this bed, wrapped in the arms of the elder.

Four months ago, he never would have imagined he would end up like this. Locked up in his room, fighting back the panic attack that threatened to take over, hurriedly shoving clothes into his rucksack alongside his textbooks, his parent’s words ringing in his head. When he first showed up on his hyung’s doorstep, asking to spend the night, he never realized that as soon as he stepped over that threshold his entire life would change.

Two months ago, he never knew what love was.

Now, he couldn’t see himself anywhere else.


 

Four Months Earlier


 

Jungkook slung his rucksack over his shoulder and slipped from his room, starting towards the front door as quietly as he could. He was only a few feet away, he was almost free-

“Jeon Jungkook! Where are you going?” Jungkook winced and turned around, eyes falling on his mam standing the middle of the living room, arms crossed and expression hard.

“I’m going to spend the night at a friend’s house. Don’t wait up.” Jungkook replied stiffly.

“And what makes you think you can leave just like that?”

Because if I stay here one more moment I might go crazy. “I’ll be back tomorrow. Good bye umma.”

Without waiting for a reply, Jungkook was out the door, feet hitting the ground running.


 

“Jungkook, what are you doing here?” Yoongi stared at the younger in confusion, one hand on the door as if prepared to slam it closed.

“Would it be alright if I crashed here for the night?” Jungkook bit at his bottom lip nervously, eyes pleading. Yoongi stared at the younger as if he’d grown another head, obviously shocked to see him. It made sense, Jungkook supposed; of their friends, they were hardly the closest, and the only time Jungkook had ever visited him before was with Jimin and Hoseok. He knew it was a long shot, that Yoongi probably had better things to do than house some teen he only knew through their friend circle.

If Jungkook thought about it, he honestly had no clue why his feet had led him to Yoongi’s house. He wasn’t closest to Yoongi, that would be either Jimin or Taehyung. Yoongi wasn’t the most inviting, that was Hoseok. He wasn’t the most caring or helpful, that would be Jin. Hell, even Namjoon was more likely to let Jungkook in.

He supposed it had to do with the fact that, of all his hyungs, Yoongi was the most reserved. He was a man of few words, most of what he had to say was scribbled into worn notebooks, on pages worn from things being crossed out and written over time and time again. He didn’t ask many questions, didn’t pry into people’s private lives, only asking that others did the same. Or maybe it was because he had a slight crush on his hyung despite their lack in closeness, but he tried not to think about that.

Of course none of that would matter if Yoongi said no. Jungkook figured he should have thought about that first.

Jungkook had half a mind to apologize and turn around, but somehow he held his ground. He was already here, and though Yoongi could be harsh, he doubted the elder would turn him away. Right?

The silence between them drew out agonizingly slow, as Yoongi seemed to debate whether he should let Jungkook in or not. The younger twisted his fingers nervously; Yoongi wouldn’t really send him away would he?

“Alright.” Yoongi shrugged, stepping aside to let Jungkook in.

“You cool with the couch?”

Jungkook nodded.

“I’ll get you a couple blankets, just wait here.” Yoongi disappeared down the hallway, and returned a couple minutes later with two medium sized blankets.

“Here.” He said, shoving them towards Jungkook. “I assume you know how to make your own bed?”

Jungkook nodded. Yoongi scratched the back of his head and looked back towards his room.

“Well listen, I was actually... in the middle of something so... just help yourself to food and TV or whatever.” For the first time Yoongi looked slightly unsure, rocking back as if desperate to return to whatever he was doing, but not wanting to just leave Jungkook alone in case he needed him.

Jungkook nodded once more. “Alright hyung. Thank you.”

Yoongi disappeared once again, slipping behind the door at the end of the hall and slamming it quickly.

Jungkook was left standing alone in the centre of the room, head moving around to take in the state of the living. Papers were scattered across a table in the far side, what Jungkook assumed was meant to be the dining table. Pizza boxes and take out containers filled the trash can and the counter tops. The walls were mostly plain, lacking anything that spoke Yoongi.

It was strange, as if Yoongi had just moved in and had yet to unpack his life yet. It was almost like he had nothing personal.

“Strange.” Jungkook murmured as he walked to the couch and messily laid out his blankets.

 

“Thanks for letting me crash here hyung.” Jungkook said, shifting around awkwardly. He didn’t want to leave, didn’t want to return to his home. He was stalling, he knew it, and from Yoongi’s face, Yoongi knew it too.

That’s why, when Yoongi spoke his next words, Jungkook nearly sobbed in relief, barely refraining from dropping to his knees and thanking his hyung a million times. But no, he was not that pathetic, this was not some sappy drama.

“You can stay another night if you want. I don’t mind.” Yoongi said it like it was nothing, but still, Jungkook silently thanked him for understanding, and for not asking questions.

“Really?”

“Yeah, sure. Whatever kid, I don’t mind.”


 

Jungkook had to go home eventually though, and it was only after spending an hour in Yoongi’s bathroom while the elder slept the next morning that he finally convinced himself to return home. Not wanting to wake his hyung, he left a short note on the kitchen table before slipping out the door quietly.

 

He had barely stepped through the door when things already began to fall apart. He’d only just greeted his parents when suddenly they were up and heading towards the coat closet, slipping on shoes and grabbing their phones, their wallets.

“We’re going out to eat.” Jungkook’s dad said, shrugging on his coat.

“Alright, just give me a minute to change-”

“No need. Your mom and I are going out, alone.”

Jungkook felt a familiar sinking feeling, that same feeling he got most days he came home from school or work to find the house empty, no note, no anything.

“What am I supposed to do for food?”

His mam shrugged. “You’ll figure something out.” Jungkook couldn’t help the look of disbelief that took over him at her words. Yes, of course he was used to this, it wasn’t new by any means, but somehow, it still managed to shock him just how much his parents could lack any care for their only son.

As soon as they were out the door Jungkook let out a frustrated groan and kicked the wall, hard.

“Ow ow ow owww.” He cursed, hopping around and lamenting life. Flopping down onto the floor, he stared at his phone in dismay.

He didn’t even try to search the kitchen for food, he’d learned in the past that whenever his parents did this it was because there was nothing at home already. The only way he would get food for the day is if he went out and bought his own. Thinking back to his near empty wallet, he ruled that option out. He doubted restaurants accepted game tokens.

“What do I do now?” He asked the empty air, sighing.


 

“Back already?” Yoongi raised an eyebrow, tone teasing.

Jungkook shuffled his feet and did as he always did when he felt vulnerable: he threw up his walls, face turning steely, and replied sassily,  “Are you gonna let me in or not?”

Yoongi snorted. “With that attitude? You can sleep on the porch.”

Jungkook’s shot him an offended look, and Yoongi rolled his eyes.

“Get inside you brat.”

Jungkook strode inside casually, trying to calm his heart. It wasn’t like he hadn’t just spent the past couple nights at Yoongi’s house after all.

Yoongi plopped down on the couch and picked up a notebook, returning to what he had been doing before Jungkook showed up. Jungkook stood in the centre of the room awkwardly, not sure where to go. After a moment, Yoongi looked up, cocking an eyebrow.

“Are you just going to stand there all day?”

“Do you have any food?” Jungkook internally cringed, yes he was rude to most of his hyungs on a regular basis, but not Yoongi. No one was rude to Yoongi unless they wanted to die. Besides, Jungkook actually respected Yoongi. As usual, his nerves got to him though, and he was left standing there and hoping to whatever higher power existed that Yoongi didn’t kick him out that instant.

Yoongi blinked in shock before letting out a barking laugh. “You really are a brat. Go check the kitchen, I’m sure there’s something in there.”


 

Leaving Yoongi’s was difficult. After Jungkook learned to relax in Yoongi’s home, he found the elder made it so easy and effortless living together. Their similar biting personalities, instead of conflicting and causing problems, meshed well together, and Jungkook had never felt so at ease. (He also couldn’t help the thrill that went through him every time Yoongi put him in his place.)

But Jungkook had to leave eventually, realized that he couldn’t keep taking advantage of his hyung like that. Yoongi had been hospitable so far, but Jungkook wasn’t about to push his luck any further.

Jimin though.

Jimin he could take advantage of any day.

“Jungkookie!” Jimin yelled as soon as his eyes landed on the boy standing in his doorway, and he dragged him inside instantly. Jungkook looked behind him sadly, already regretting his decision.


 

Jungkook lasted two days at Jimin’s house before he was back at Yoongi’s, bundled up in a pile of blankets on Yoongi’s couch, hands wrapped around a cup of coffee. Yoongi sat beside him, mindlessly clicking through stations on the TV, one arm slung across the back behind Jungkook’s head, a blanket thrown across his lap.

“So how is Jimin doing?” Yoongi asked. If it were anyone else it would have been an innocent question, but this was Yoongi, and over the few days they’d spent together he’d already become more than aware of Yoongi’s subtle sass.

Jungkook frowned. Jimin wasn’t a bad guy, in fact they were extremely close, but it was no secret that Jimin’s favourite thing to do was fawn over the youngest and harass him with affection. Yoongi was being a smart .

“Just peachy. Probably still throwing a pity party for himself since I wouldn’t let him kiss me.” Kisses were something Jimin gave to a lot of people, the same way most people gave out hugs, and though most let him have his fun, Jungkook was not having it.  

“You’re too cruel kid.” Yoongi shook his head, but he was smiling.

Jungkook rolled his eyes, and when they stopped, they fell onto the TV screen that flickered every couple seconds as Yoongi changed the channel. Jungkook let out a short laugh.

“Are you going to watch something or do you just like the clicking?” Jungkook teased, lips pulled into a slight smirk.

Yoongi didn’t even look at Jungkook when he replied, voice calm, “It soothes my dark and damaged soul.”

Jungkook nearly snorted his coffee out his nose.


 

Jin was surprised when Jungkook asked if he could stay the night at his new apartment, but he didn’t argue it, happy to let the younger boy stay the night. Everyone knew Jin had a soft spot for the youngest of their group, constantly babying him and protecting him despite Jungkook being more brazen and dirty-mouthed than either Taehyung or Jimin.

Jungkook didn’t mind that much though, especially now, sitting at Jin’s dining room table, shoveling down home cooked food he hadn’t had in ages. it wasn’t that Jungkook couldn’t cook, but there was rarely food in his own house, and Yoongi basically worshipped take out, so this sort of food was rare to come by. Jin sat across from him, laughing as he ate his own helping.

“So what brings you here Jungkook-ah? You’ve never asked to stay the night before.” Jin’s voice was curious, but not suspicious, eyes warm. Jungkook swallowed down a large bite of pork and replied, smiling sweetly, “Because Jin hyung is the best.”

Jin leaned back in his chair, rubbing his neck in embarrassment. “Aish... you don’t really mean that.”

Jungkook fought back a laugh, because well, Jin was right, his actual favourite was probably at home eating ramen and watching basketball. But Jin had food, good food, so a little bit of up couldn’t do any harm.

“You are. You make delicious food and you’re not gross like Jimin and Hoseok hyung.”

What? Jungkook was a brat to the bone, he couldn’t compliment without making fun of someone else.

Jin laughed. “Alright, I see how it is.” Jin paused, looking at his reflection in the microwave, and nodded appreciatively.

“I am pretty great though.”

Jungkook shovelled rice into his mouth to keep from bursting into laughter.


 

Somehow, Jungkook found himself standing in front of Yoongi’s house once again. He shifted from one foot to the other, hands shoved into his pockets while Yoongi stared him down.

“Hey hyung.” he mumbled, giving him a sheepish smile.

“Damn kid, if you keep showing up like this I’m going to start think you’re obsessed with me.”

Jungkook hoped his laugh didn’t sound as forced as it felt.


 

It was a Thursday when everything came to a crashing halt. In Jimin’s defense, he didn’t mean to start anything, it was a simple slip of the tongue. He and Hoseok had been talking about their upcoming dance competition when Jimin realized something.

“Hey Jungkook, I’m sorry, I know this is last minute, but you can’t stay the night tonight. I have practice late tonight and I’m just going to crash at Hoseok’s after. Are you going to be okay for the night?”

His words were innocent, apologetic, but it didn’t matter, everyone had heard, and everyone was quick to draw the same conclusion.

“Jungkook?” Jin called out softly. “You’ve been staying at Jimin’s house as well? I thought you went home?”

Jungkook’s face paled as everyone stared him down, gears in their minds turning.

“Jungkook...” Hoseok started, eyes full of worry, “When was the last time you went home?”

Jungkook looked down, avoiding his hyungs watchful eyes, and murmured, “A few days ago?” The sentence came out like a question, and Jungkook realized, belatedly, that it was because he didn’t know. He couldn’t tell the last time he’d spent a night in his own bed, the last time he’d talked to his person. It wasn’t that long ago, was it?  “Maybe?” He added, even softer.

When he looked up again, everyone’s eyes were on him, varying expressions of worry and pity. Jungkook felt a roll of nausea in his stomach; he hated being pitied more than anything else. For a moment, his eyes caught Yoongi’s, and he was surprised to find that, unlike the others, he saw nothing close to pity. In fact, it almost looked like.... understanding?

“Jungkook, you know you have to go home at some point right?” Jin’s voice was still soft, but somehow that only made the words sharper. “Kook-ah, you’re still a kid, you can’t just leave home.”

“I know.” Jungkook mumbled, feeling everything come crashing down around him. For some reason, he felt a strange indignation at how everyone was reacting. It wasn’t like he never went home! He knew evidence was against him, but why were they all so quick to jump on him like this?

“Go home Jungkook. Talk to your parents.” Yoongi said softly. Jungkook’s heart clenched, but he knew they were all right. he had to face them sometime. He couldn’t keep hiding away from his parents, pretending his problems didn’t exist.

“Tonight?” Hoseok added, wording it as a question.

Jungkook took a deep breath. “Tonight.” He agreed.


 

Despite agreeing to go home and talk to his parents that night, Jungkook couldn’t help the relieved sigh that escaped his lips when he was neither of his parents were home. He set his bag on the floor and made his way to the kitchen, hoping that maybe there was some leftovers he could scavenge.

Finding nothing but some kimchi and a few cartons of flavoured milk, he sighed and fell onto the couch, closing his eyes and willing himself to sleep.

It was past midnight when they returned, the sound of the front door slamming waking Jungkook from his sleep. He’d been dreaming, and it had been pleasant, but as soon as he opened his eyes the memory was gone, leaving him with a sense of loneliness.

“Oh Jungkook! You’re home?” His mother’s surprised voice drew his attention the doorway where his mother was busy slipping off her coat and shoes. “You finally decided to come home again?”

Jungkook’s father walked into the kitchen and shook his head. “You could have at least done some of the chores while we were out.” Jungkook bit back his remark about how none of the mess was his since he hadn’t been home to make it.

“Sorry.” Jungkook said, trying to stay polite. He had come here to talk to his parents, try to find an understanding. Getting upset would help nothing.

“All you have to say is sorry? How about ‘Yes father I’ll go wash the dishes.’”

“Right now? But it’s nearly one in the morning!”

“Maybe you should have thought about that earlier.”

Jungkook’s hands balled into fists, face flushing angrily.

Jungkook had had enough. Forget not getting upset, he was 17, he couldn’t control his emotions that well. “Listen, I came home to talk to you guys, but if you’re just going to act as you always do, it’s useless for me to have even come home.”

“Jeon Jungkook don’t you talk that way to your parents.”

“What parents?” Jungkook said, and it was like a dam had broken, and his words were a waterfall. “I thought parents were supposed to take care and love their kids, but you seem to be doing a pretty job of it.”

“How dare you-” His mother began, but his father put out a hand, stopping her.

“Jungkook.” His eyes flashed angrily. “I don’t care what sort of angsty teenager phase you’re going through now, it is never appropriate to talk to your parents that way. I thought we raised you better than that.”

Jungkook scoffed. “You didn’t raise me at all! If it weren’t for my friends, I’d have starved on the streets by now! Even the ing pigeon living outside our window was a better parent than you.”

His parents looked shocked, to say the least, but it was as if nothing had changed otherwise. “Go to your room. You’re grounded for two months.” His mother commanded.

Jungkook’s shoulders sagged, finally giving up.

“Screw this. I’m out of here.” Jungkook picked his bad back off the floor and started towards the door.

“Jeon Jungkook stop right there.” His dad yelled, and Jungkook froze. Turning around slowly, he was met with his father’s flaming eyes, and mother’s steely gaze. It was enough to make anyone cower, but Jungkook stood his ground, fighting back shivers of fear.

“Yes appa?”

“If you leave now,” He started, voice cold as ice, “Don’t you dare come back.” Jungkook’s mouth fell open, heart momentarily stopping.

“Appa....” Jungkook couldn’t believe what he had just said, but at the same time, it made a sickening sort of sense. The more he thought about it, the less awful it sounded, the more it seemed like he’d managed to escape. After all, they’d never gotten along, his parents never failed to remind him of what he failure he was. In a way, he was almost relieved by his ultimatum.

“Goodbye appa. Goodbye umma.” He said softly.

The shock on their faces told Jungkook they hadn’t expected him to accept, and he found himself fleeing through the open door before he could come to regret his decision.


 

“I was sleeping, what the hell do you- Jungkook?” Confusion momentarily took place of anger, Yoongi standing in the doorway staring at Jungkook slack-jawed. “What are you doing here?”

“Hyung, can I stay the night?”

The scene was so familiar to the first time Jungkook had appeared on Yoongi’s doorstep, down to his nervous expression and Yoongi’s dazed and slightly confused expression. (although Jungkook would admit he looked a lot sleepier this time around.) He almost felt nauseous from the sense of deja vu. Or maybe that was just nerves.

Yoongi blinked wearily at Jungkook, still trying to work everything through his drowsy mind. Jungkook felt slightly guilty for obviously waking his hyung up. Everyone knew how much Yoongi cherished his sleep; Jungkook was lucky he was still living.

Instead of giving an answer, Yoongi replied with a question of his own.

“What time is it?” Yoongi’s voice was raspy, thick with sleep.

Jungkook shuffled his feet around, eyes glued to them, and mumbled sheepishly, “2:19.”

Yoongi sighed and opened the door wider.

“Come in before I change my mind.” Jungkook scrambled inside, barely making it through the door before Yoongi slammed it. Without another word, Yoongi trudged back towards his room, focus solely on getting back to his awaiting bed.

“Wait, hyung!” Jungkook called out. “Where are your extra blankets?”

Yoongi turned back to him once more. “What? Why do you need blankets?”
Now it was Jungkook’s turn to be confused. “Aren’t I sleeping on the couch?”

Yoongi shook his head. “Too much work. Just sleep in my bed tonight, it’s big enough.” Jungkook was shocked, to say the least, but he didn’t argue, following quietly along to Yoongi’s room. Without another word, Yoongi slipped on to one side of the bed, patting the other as if to beckon Jungkook forward. Taking a deep breath, Jungkook dropped his rucksack before making his way over to the bed and slipping underneath the covers silently.

Once Jungkook had settled under the covers, he spoke up, whisper still loud in the otherwise silent room.

“Thank you hyung.”

“Yeah, yeah. Shut up and sleep before I decide to kill you for waking me up.”


 

When Jungkook woke up, Yoongi was mere inches from his face, soft pink lips parted and blowing air into Jungkook’s face with every exhale. Blonde hair fell into his eyes, and Jungkook was positive he’d never seen his hyung look more serene and like a perfect angel than he did in that moment.

Cute, he thought, shocking himself. He looked away quickly, trying to focus on something, anything other than his sleeping hyung.

Instead, Jungkook took the time he had to examine the room. It was the opposite of the rest of Yoongi’s house, he quickly realized. The furniture itself was scarce, nothing but the bed and a desk with a rolling chair, but that didn’t mean it was empty. The closet was nearly overflowing with clothes, most of them lying in a pile at the bottom, as if Yoongi had long given up hanging his clothes. The desk looked like a mini recording studio set up, a computer monitor set in the centre, speakers on either side, a small professional mic and a midi keyboard placed in front of those. Numerous papers were stacked up on one edge, and Jungkook had a sneaking feeling if he looked closer, he would see they were lyrics. He’d known that Yoongi liked music, after all he was majoring in music production at university, but he had never seen his work station before. Jungkook wondered what Yoongi’s music sounded like.

Looking around more, Jungkook saw posters of various musicians covered the walls, just like any teenage boy’s room, and Jungkook scoffed a bit because Yoongi had been out of high school and living on his own for over three years now, you would think he’d grown out of that. However, it was one wall in particular that caught Jungkook’s eye, and he found himself slipping from the bed as carefully as possible and making his way over to get a closer look.

it was pictures. Dozens of them, clipped along several strings that ran from one corner of the wall to another. Taking an even closer look, Jungkook saw that though some of them were nature shots of mountains and flowers and the like, most of them were pictures of their friends. Almost all of them were candid shots, but Jungkook recognized some as times Yoongi had randomly asked them to pose, holding up his large DSLR camera and snapping a few shots of them before quickly putting it away again. Jungkook couldn’t help the smile that graced his face as he looked over the pictures; he’d never realized Yoongi liked photography that much.

Jungkook blinked, tilting his head slightly as he noticed something.

“Why are there so many pictures of me?” He asked quietly, eyes moving back and forth. Jungkook laughing, Jungkook pouting, Jungkook talking, Jungkook pulling a weird face with Taehyung, Jungkook trying desperately to fend off Jimin, Jungkook sitting at the top of the hill by their school, staring out at something he couldn’t currently recall, Jungkook-

“Jungkook?” Yoongi groaned, blinking sleep from his eyes. He began struggling to sit up in bed, groaning slightly. “Are you up already?”

Jungkook jumped away from the pictures like he’d been shocked and started out of the room.

“I’ll go make you some coffee hyung, you can sleep some more. Two sugars no milk right?” Yoongi nodded, looking vaguely surprised.

“How did you know?”

Jungkook ducked his head to hide the faint blush tainting his cheeks and coughed awkwardly. “We’re friends, right?”

“...Right.” Yoongi replied softly.


 

“Jungkook-ah?” Yoongi murmured one night, startling the younger. The elder’s eyes were shut, breathing even, and Jungkook had been sure up until a moment ago that Yoongi was sound asleep.

“Neh, hyung?”

“What’s been going on? No one just shows up and their friend’s door at 2am for no reason.”

Jungkook fidgeted, twisting the edge of the the bedsheet as he tried to think of the words to say.

“Is it really important to know?”

Yoongi sighed, finally opening his eyes, locking onto Jungkook’s own.

“You do know what we’re doing now is technically illegal right? I don’t care that much, and I understand not wanting to talk about it, but you’re still a minor, you still have parents that are probably worried about you, and I’m almost surprised the police haven’t come knocking on my door yet asking if I’d kidnapped you.”

Jungkook looked away, turning his face before Yoongi could see how his words had affected the younger.

“You don’t have to worry about that hyung. I seriously doubt that’ll happen.” Jungkook didn’t mean to, but he couldn’t keep the bitterness out of his voice, something Yoongi caught onto easily.

“Jungkook?” Yoongi’s voice had softened, and for a moment Jungkook got the sick feeling Yoongi was pitying him, but when he looked over, he saw nothing but curiosity and some other emotion Jungkook couldn’t quite pin down.

“It’ nothing hyung.” Jungkook said quickly.

“Jungkook...” Yoongi’s voice was more warning this time, still not forcing Jungkook to talk, but making him think before he shut the elder out. Jungkook bit his lip; he didn’t want to talk about it, wanted to pretend everything was okay, but at the same time... Yoongi deserved to know. He’d let Jungkook crash at his place no questions asked for almost two weeks now.

“They kicked me out.” Jungkook whispered into the darkness, the words falling like a curtain over them.

“Oh.” Yoongi breathed out. “.”

“Yeah.” Jungkook mumbled. “.”


 

“Do you want to talk about it?” Yoongi asked the next day, while they were washing dishes. Jungkook didn’t have to ask to know what he was referring to, and didn’t have to think to know what his answer was.

“Not really.” Jungkook shrugged, avoiding Yoongi’s eyes and instead staring resolutely at the plate he was drying.

“Alright.” Yoongi said, and that was that.

That was what Jungkook liked best about Yoongi, he thought. Not that he disliked the others, but he knew if this conversation had happened with anyone else, there would have been more questions, more prying in on his rocky home life. There would have been pitying eyes and comforting words, all things Jungkook couldn’t handle well.

But Yoongi.... Yoongi knew when to stop. If Jungkook said stop, he stopped, moved on to another subject, and that was that.

 

Like that, Jungkook was able to ease into life with Yoongi. Yoongi stopped asking questions, and didn’t ask Jungkook to leave. Instead, it almost felt like Yoongi was making a space for Jungkook in his life, slowly letting him in further and further. Clothes Jungkook had snuck from his room while his parents weren’t home draped from the hangers that had once been bare, food slowly began to appear in the fridge and cupboard, and the left side of the bed was unofficially dubbed Jungkook’s.

It felt like Jungkook was finally making a home somewhere, a thought that both excited and terrified the younger.

After all, despite how it felt, Jungkook knew this was only temporary. Yoongi was giving him a home for now, but what about when he finished university? Would he move back to Daegu, his hometown? What would Jungkook do then?

Jungkook tried not to dwell on it too much. It was better to live in the present, anyway.

 

It was one day, while they were sitting at the table, Yoongi going over some new lyrics silently under his breath, face one of absolute concentration, when Jungkook first felt it. It was like a fluttering in his heart, as if he’d been hit by lightning and the electricity was still buzzing through his veins. Jungkook was well aware of his slight crush on the elder, but in the past he’d written it off more as a deep admiration for the other rather than truly falling for him, but this... this was different.

It was an emotion he’d never felt before, bubbling up inside him and making him feel warm all over. It made Jungkook feel stupid every time he looked at his hyung, made him want to move closer, share a more intimate space with him. It was an emotion Jungkook had been suspicious of for a while now, had been careful to push from his mind. He’d done his best not to get too attached, he knew it wouldn’t end well for his heart, but somehow, he hadn’t locked it away well enough.

And in one fell swoop, Jungkook came to the terrifying realization, eyes wide as he stared at an oblivious Yoongi.

I think I’m in love with you.


 

“What’s that you’re working on hyung?” Jungkook asked. He was laying on his stomach on their bed, maths textbook spread in front of him and tip of his pencil stuck into his mouth as he gnawed on to it mindlessly. Yoongi was sat at his desk, headphone covering one ear, scribbling something into a notebook, every once in a while turning back to the screen to click around a bit. Occasionally, he let out little huffs of annoyance, or hums of appreciation. Jungkook found it absolutely adorable.

“Hmm?” Yoongi turned and looked at Jungkook, expression vaguely annoyed at having been interrupted. Still, he let his attention switch over to Jungkook. “What did you say?”

Jungkook’s voice was small when he replied. “I was just... wondering what you’re working on. Sorry if I interrupted anything important.” Yoongi shook his head, seeming lost in thought.

“It’s alright, come here, I’ve been stuck anyway... Maybe you can help.”

Jungkook scrambled off the bed and over to Yoongi, towering over Yoongi as he stood behind him. Yoongi turned back to this computer, hand falling to his mouse.

“So I have my midterms coming up right? Well, our project was to produce an at least two minute long original piece. I think I know why it sounds so flat, but it’s not something I can fix on my own.”

Yoongi looked back at Jungkook expectantly, while the younger continued to stare at him, lost.

“What does that have to do with me?”

“You sing right?”

“Yeah...”

“Can you sing these few lines for me?” Yoongi asked nervously, unsure of Jungkook’s reaction to his question. In his outstretched hand was the paper he’d been scribbling on earlier, and now Jungkook saw it was filled with lyrics, many lines scratched out and others written above or beside them.

Jungkook felt nervous as he took the paper, steeling himself with a deep breath.

“Which lines?”

Yoongi’s eyes lit up and he quickly pointed out where he wanted Jungkook to begin, before pushing the mic closer to Jungkook. “Sing into this.” Jungkook nodded and leaned forward. Taking one more calming breath, Jungkook opened his mouth and began to sing.

A million emotions bubbled up inside him as he sang, everything else falling away. He couldn’t help but notice as the words flowed from his mouth however, that the lyrics were far different from what he’d seen Yoongi write before. They were softer, sweeter, less about his struggles and instead about... love? Jungkook’s heart throbbed thinking about Yoongi loving someone else.

When he finished, Yoongi was smiling wider than Jungkook had ever seen before, lips pulled back and revealing small white teeth and pink gums.

“. That’s it Kook-ah! Perfect! I love you man.”

Jungkook flinched.

If only it were true.

 

Jungkook was sick. He wasn’t sure with what, but all he knew was he had a fever and his head and chest felt like they were going to explode from pressure. Yoongi let Jungkook sleep in his bed once again, and tended to him more than Jungkook would have ever thought. Halfway through the day, and again at night, Yoongi brought in medicine, and fed Jungkook some home made porridge. (Despite Yoongi insisting he’d made it, Jungkook had a strong suspicion he’d actually called Jin over for help, especially judging by the extra voices he’d heard earlier.) He’d be more thankful, but Yoongi’s constant reminders that he was an absolute saint for doing this for Jungkook and that the younger owed him for life kept him from being too grateful.

“If I get sick, I’m going to kill you.” Yoongi murmured the second night, but there was no real venom behind it. Jungkook smiled weakly at Yoongi.

“Don’t worry hyung, I’ll take care of you.” Yoongi sneered at him and smacked his shoulder lightly.

“Yeah right. Like I’d trust you to take care of me.”

Yoongi did end up getting sick in the end, and Jungkook couldn’t help the smirk on his face as Yoongi pathetically whined for some hot tea, blankets pulled up to his nose.

“Do you trust me now hyung?” He’d asked.

“Shut up.” Came Yoongi’s muffled reply.

 

The longer Jungkook stayed at Yoongi’s, the harder he felt himself fall, and quite frankly, it scared him. Terrified him actually. It was alright when it was a small crush, that Jungkook could handle, but this? His emotions were widely out of control, and day by day the struggle became more intense. Hiding how Yoongi’s smile made Jungkook’s heart pick up pace, how his smooth voice and slight lisp made Jungkook want to faint at the sound, how he barely concealed the shivers he felt whenever Yoongi touched him.

He knew he was stupid for having these feelings, for several reasons actually. Yoongi was far older than him, old enough that their relationship, were they to have one, wasn’t even technically legal. Jungkook didn’t care much, but he knew Yoongi would, if their conversation that night a couple weeks were any sign.

Following that thought was a sick feeling as he came to realize how hopelessly one sided his crush most likely was. Yoongi was a university student, already making his name known in the underground, working his way towards the top. He was cool, collected, and driven to succeed. Jungkook knew that he was only tolerating Jungkook, that Jungkook was lucky Yoongi even gave him the time of day.

And what was Jungkook? Some whiny homeless kid that couldn’t shut his mouth. Who was nothing but a stain on Yoongi’s nearly perfect life. His existence in Yoongi’s life was burden enough, he didn’t need to add on the extra weight of his childish emotions to what Yoongi already had to deal with.

Jungkook sighed, gritting his teeth in frustration. He hated that he was thinking about this, bus his mind wouldn’t let the thoughts face.

“Hey Jungkook, you okay?” Yoongi was staring at Jungkook with something akin to concern, and it did nothing to help Jungkook’s current situation.

“Yeah, fine hyung.”

Yoongi shrugged and leaned back, sinking into the couch cushions. “If you say so. Don’t strain yourself kid, you’re too young for that.”

Right. Kid. Jungkook sunk down in his seat, deflating. What the hell would Yoongi ever find in him? Sure Jungkook was attractive, smart, talented. A good catch, if the one doing the fishing were a teenage girl. But Yoongi wasn’t a teenage girl, and he’d made it clear on several occasions that he thought of Jungkook as nothing more than a kid.

And what could some dumb brat offer to a put-together university student?

Exactly.

Nothing.


 

The next night, Jungkook spent the night at Jimin’s house. It wasn’t that he disliked Yoongi’s, it was more that he had liked it too much. He could see himself staying there forever, but he also knew that it was dangerous to get too used to a single place. Especially with the emotions that had begun to rear their ugly heads.

Jimin welcomed him in warmly as always, complaining lightly about how Jungkook never hung out with him anymore. Jungkook smiled politely and let Jimin drag him through the halls of his house, barely picking up on what Jimin was saying.

It’s better this way. He thought, sighing, wondering why, if it was better, did it hurt so much?

 

Out of everyone, he could safely say his closest friend was Taehyung. Jimin was a close second, the three had grown up together after all, but if there was anyone he was most comfortable with, it was his square-smiled hyung.

“Jungkook-ah, it’s nice to see you again!” Taehyung’s mother smiled sweetly, waving a flour covered hand. Jungkook waved back, forcing a smile onto his face as well. Taehyung led him upstairs as always, his mind wandering to other things. Things he shouldn’t think about.

Things like Yoongi.

Jungkook shook his head and pushed thoughts of the blonde out of of his mind. Forcing himself to bring his mind back to present, he let his body go on autopilot as he let out a loud yell and tackled Taehyung at the top of the stairs, just like old times.

Taehyung shrieked and immediately counter-attacked, hands flying to Jungkook’s sides. Jungkook laughed and squirmed in Taehyung’s grasp, letting thoughts of his blonde hyung fall from his mind once and for all.

 

Jungkook knew he shouldn’t go back to Yoongi’s. He didn’t want to force himself on the other, didn’t want to bother his hyung any more than he already had. He knew he needed to stay away at least until these feelings disappeared, knew he was better off here. Taehyung’s was easy, it was safe. He’d been there a thousand times before, albeit Jimin was usually there with them in the past, but still. It was familiar, a place he could get used to in a second.

Taehyung’s house was nice, loving, caring. It was everything Jungkook didn’t have, what he had yearned for his entire life. For the first couple days, it was almost like any other night at Taehyung’s, his friend’s mam fluttering about and constantly asking if they needed anything, his dad joking and pranking Jungkook and Taehyung as if he were still their age. After that though, a sort of uneasiness fell over the house.

But despite the fact that Taehyung’s mother treated him like he was her own son, he couldn’t help but feel like he was intruding on an already perfect family, like he was overstaying his welcome. It was an awful feeling that creeped up on him in the middle of the night, taunting him, reminding him that this wasn’t really where he belonged.

Besides, Taehyung’s mother asked too many questions. He’d heard her whispering with Taehyung’s father about how she worried for him, how she wondered why he rarely went home. By the end of the first week, she’d started attempting to get Jungkook to open up. The next day Jungkook found himself packing his bags and pressing the call button next to his eldest hyung’s name.


 

Jin was kind and caring just as always, fluttering around and doing whatever he could to make Jungkook as comfortable as possible. As Jungkook sat at the table, chewing on some freshly cooked galbi, he couldn’t help but be extremely grateful to his motherly hyung. He’d been a little short with the elder since he had brought up Jungkook’s lack of a home that one day, but Jin didn’t hold it against him, treating Jungkook just as sweetly as he always had.

When Jungkook asked if he could stay for a few days, Jin smiled sadly and agreed, but for the first time, he didn’t ask any other questions. Still, Jungkook could feel his pitying eyes on him wherever he went, a feeling that made his attitude worsen by the day.

“Have you talked to Yoongi lately?” Jin asked one day, as he stirred soup in a pot. Jungkook froze, looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

“Why?” he asked, cautious.

“Nothing, nothing. I just haven’t seen you two together in a while. Did something happen?”

“No.” Jungkook said sullenly, turning away. “Everything’s fine.”


 

Namjoon was awkward, but then Namjoon was always awkward. He wasn’t unkind, but he clearly was unsure of what to do or say, something rare for the man who was usually overflowing with random philosophical monologues. (though Jungkook had his doubts that many of them weren’t just ripped straight from college textbooks.)

He showed Jungkook where he was to sleep before disappearing into his room, no doubt to work on a new song. His dedication to music reminded Jungkook of Yoongi, and he had to shake the thoughts from his mind as quickly as he could. He was at his friend’s to forget about the blonde, not to think about him even more.

Out of everyone, Jungkook found himself lasting the shortest time at Namjoon’s and he quickly became the one Jungkook went to only when no one else could house him for the night.

Because while Jungkook was thankful for the home, he could only take the quiet for so long, could only hang out with Namjoon’s dad for so many days before it became too much. Even Jimin’s was better than that.

“Jungkookie!” Jimin yelled, voice shrill, and a heavy weight fell on Jungkook’s back.

....

Okay, maybe it was.


 

No one spoke of it, but over time, as Jungkook jumped from house to house, his friends began to realize two things.

One, it became a general assumption among their group that Jungkook was without a home. He never outright admitted it, avoided the topic when anyone tried to bring it up, but didn’t deny their suspicions either. He wasn’t one to directly lie to his hyungs, but until they explicitly asked, he wasn’t about to lay everything out in the open.

Two, was that he was ignoring Yoongi. Everyone had accepted Jungkook into their homes on more than one occasion, and it was as they were talking one day while Jungkook was away that they came to the same conclusion. Jin had mentioned how Jungkook was spending more time at his house again, and asked the others if he’d told them anything. Hoseok was the one who had noticed Yoongi’s darkening face at the mention of the youngest, and upon questioning, was quick to snap at the boy.

“I’m glad he’s doing well at your houses. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have other places to be.” And he’d disappeared from the room, leaving behind his friends who remained frozen in shock, more confused than ever.

 

It was one day, a couple weeks since he’d went back to crashing at his friends’ houses to avoid Yoongi, the fifth time at Hoseok’s, when the older man sat him down and looked him straight in the eyes, wearing a serious face that Jungkook had seen only a few times before.

“You’re avoiding Yoongi.” Hoseok said flat out, not one to beat around the bush.

“I’m not.” Jungkook tried to protest, but it was no use. Hoseok could always read people easily, even those that tried to put up walls like Jungkook and Yoongi. If their friends could all agree on one thing, it was that no one could hide things from Hoseok. He may act carefree, but in reality he paid closer attention than anyone else.

Hoseok slid closer and wrapped an arm around Jungkook.

“Listen Kookie-”

“Oh my god did Jimin tell you to call me that?”

“Maybe.” Hoseok responded, smiling cheekily. “And you know what he also told me?”

“What?” Jungkook mumbled. It better not be some erted comment between the two of them, their whole group knew something was going on between them-

“Yoongi hasn’t been showing up to basketball practice.”

“What?” Jungkook’s head shot up, finally paying full attention.

“He’s been moping around for two weeks now, and half the time he ditches practice. When Jimin asked him, he said he “just didn’t feel like it”, but you know that’s not like Yoongi. He’s never one to half- things. And his moping started around the same time yours did. Don’t lie, we all know you’ve been staying at all of our houses minus Yoongi’s, and although Yoongi is an insensitive half the time, I’m pretty sure this is your fault.”

“Hyung-” Jungkook opened his mouth the complain, but Hoseok cut him off.

“Listen Jungkook, I don’t know what happened between you two, but it needs to be fixed. You’re moping, Yoongi’s moping, and frankly it’s kind of off-putting.” Jungkook sighed and kicked at the ground.

“I get it hyung, but I just don’t think... it’s best if I go there.” Great, now Jungkook sounded like a whimp, and oh hell is he blushing, no this is not okay. That needed to stop right now. Before-

“Oh my god.” Hoseok squealed suddenly, hands on either side of Jungkook’s cheeks as he pulled the younger’s face up so he had full view of his reddening cheeks.

“You’re blushing!”

“I am not!” Jungkook denied adamantly.

“You totally are. What-” Hoseok paused. “Oh my god.”

Jungkook cocked an eyebrow.

“That’s it. Oh my god. Oh my god.”

“What?” Jungkook said, annoyed over his hyung’s spazzing and the fact that his face was still trapped between Hoseok’s giant sweaty hands.

“You like Yoongi!”

Jungkook felt his heart drop into his stomach. “No I don’t!” But Jungkook’s eyes were full of fear, and Hoseok could read him like an open book.

“That is so freaking cute.” Hoseok squealed, bouncing up and down. “Just wait until I tell Jimin-”

Jungkook tore himself from Hoseok’s hold and stood up, heart pounding.

“Hoseok hyung you won’t do anything of the sort.”

“What not, this is so cute, our maknae loves our resident sloth, you guys actually sound cute together, actually more like scary, you two will probably destroy the world together, damn I better start building a safe house, but really, this is sweet, our baby’s first crush omo-”

“It doesn’t matter!” Jungkook yelled.

Hoseok paused. “Why not?”

“Because he doesn’t like me.” Jungkook stated softly, hating how the cold truth stabbed at his heart.

“How do you know? Did he tell you?”
“Well no, I-”

“So what happened then? Why are you here instead of at Yoongi’s right now?”

Jungkook looked down, face flushing further. “I may have just left once I realized I liked him.”

Hoseok’s face was priceless, and if it wasn’t because of the current situation, Jungkook was positive he would have taken a picture of it. Disbelief was written plain as day across the elder’s face, and he slowly shook his head.

“You’ve got to be kidding- Jungkook you’re such an idiot.”

“What?” Jungkook snapped, because why the hell was he an idiot?

“Alright, here’s what’s going to happen. Jeon Jungkook, you march your back to his house right now and confess, I am not about to let you give up without even trying.”

“But Hoseok hyung-”

“Go!” Hoseok yelled,shoving him out the door. “And don’t come back until you two are together.”


 

“Jungkook?”

Jungkook hated how surprised Yoongi looked, it stabbed at his heart knowing that it was all his fault that Yoongi and him had once again grown apart.

“Can I come in?”

Yoongi’s eyes hardened, and for one terrible moment, Jungkook though Yoongi was going to slam the door in his face. After a long, tense moment, Yoongi finally stepped aside with a sigh, and waved his hand.

“Sure. Why not.”

For a second, Jungkook’s limbs stopped working, and then he was moving, scrambling inside before Yoongi changed his mind.

“I’m sorry I left.” Jungkook said the moment the door clicked shut, eyes on Yoongi. The elder looked down and away.

“Whatever.” He muttered. “Is that the only reason you came here?”

Yes. Jungkook wanted to say. He wanted to turn away, run back to Hoseok’s with his tail between his legs, but one, he had more pride than that, and two he had a feeling Hoseok was serious when he said he wouldn’t let Jungkook back in if he didn’t do this.

“No.” He said instead, and Yoongi finally looked at him, face curious, impatient, worried.

“What is it then?” Yoongi snapped. “I haven’t got all day you know.”

“The reason why I left...”

Now or never.

Jungkook took  a deep breath. “It’s because I liked you hyung.”

Yoongi blinked, mouth falling open in shock, and then he was laughing. A loud, cruel laugh. Jungkook flinched, and for the first time, felt something suspiciously like tears sting the corners of his eyes.

“Are you- are you serious? Jungkook you’re such a dumb brat. This whole time.... you left, you avoided me... because of your feelings for me?”

“I’m sorry, I know -”

“You really are an idiot Jeon Jungkook.” Yoongi rolled his eyes and scoffed. “And here I was thinking that whole time we were together I’d actually been making progress with it. It’s not like I wasn’t being pretty ing obvious about my own feelings or anything.”

“You don’t have to be so mean- wait what? What?”

“I like you too, brat.”

Oh.

Ohhh.

“I really am an idiot.” Jungkook breathed in disbelief.

“Yeah. But you’re my idiot.” Yoongi said, giving him that sweet gummy smile, and suddenly, everything was okay.


 

It was almost scary how easily Jungkook was able to fall back into the pattern of living with Yoongi after that. Despite what happened when Jungkook first showed up two nights before apologizing for being an emo jerk, it had taken only a moment to return to right where they left off. Jungkook was thankful for that, glad that almost nothing had changed, that they were able to return to their normal selves.

Except now they were together. The mere thought made Jungkook smile giddily. Who would have thought when he was kicked out he’d find something even better?

“Kook-ah, where’s the coffee?” Yoongi called from the kitchen.

“Top shelf hyung.” Jungkook called back without looking up, busy copying down jimin’s chemistry notes.

“Seriously?” Yoongi yelled a moment later. Now Jungkook looked up, and he nearly laughed when he saw Yoongi stretching his arm to try and reach the can, on his tip-toes, clearly struggling. Smiling devilishly, he crept over to Yoongi and reached over him, front pressing into Yoongi’s back. He reached it easily, handing it to Yoongi with a small chuckle.

Yoongi glared back at him. “You did that on purpose you brat.”

Jungkook just smirked. “Maybe.” He said, before leaning in and kissing Yoongi’s angry lips.

“I hate you.” Yoongi snarled when Jungkook pulled away.

“You wish.”


 

Present


 

“Close your eyes.” Yoongi commanded, face serious. Jungkook looked up from his spot on the couch, mouth hanging open almost comically. before, it wasn’t an expression Jungkook wore often, but he had learned a week ago that Yoongi found the expression absolutely adorable, and had become an instant habit for the younger.

“What, why?”

“Just do it.”

Jungkook wrinkled his nose and eyebrows, giving Yoongi an ugly expression, but did as he was told. “Alright, alright. So bossy.”

“Put your hand out.”
“Hyung I swear to god if this is some sort of trick-”

“Just do it!”

Jungkook stuck his hand out.

A moment later, Jungkook felt the familiar feeling of Yoongi’s soft hands gently flattening out Jungkook’s hand before something cool and smooth dropped into the centre of his palm. Yoongi’s hands fell away, and he heard the elder take a step back.

“Alright, you can open your eyes now.” Jungkook did just that, slowly opening his eyes, immediately dropping them to his still outstretched hand.

There, lying in his palm, was a shiny silver key staring back at him. Jungkook’s head shot up, looking at Yoongi in shock.

“Happy birthday.” Yoongi said, smiling softly.

“Yoongi?” The last half of his name was lilted up, questioning.

“It’s a key to my house. I figure, you basically live here, it’s about time I got you a key of your own. Especially now that you’re eighteen, you can legally live here.... if you want.”

Jungkook was speechless.

So Instead of speaking, Jungkook pulled Yoongi into a tight hug, the elder’s head fitting right into his shoulder, and let out a choked laugh. He was caught between crying and kissing the daylights out of Yoongi. For the first time ever, his heart felt weightless, as if the darkness that surrounded it before had dissipated completely. Here, in Yoongi’s arms, he finally realized what this feeling was.

He was safe.

He was loved.

He was home.

 


Hi everyone~ 

I know it's not our baby Kookie's birthday in South Korea anymore, but it's still the the 1st here. 

Isn't this cool, Jungkook is finally an adult (internationally at least keke) and so am I! *throws confetti in the air* *grabs Jungkook and pulls him into a hug* Yeah boy we're adults now! How great is this, we can drink! Well I can't, the drinking age in America is 21, I really need to get back to Holland, but that's not important now. What's important is that we are children no more! We can do whatever we want!

....Except fly. Please don't try that. You're not Iron Man.

I hope everyone is having a good day, now I'm off to celebrate!

Love, 

Peach~