Chapter 2: Tutoring

Reflection (Re-written version of Secret)
 

It was the beginning of autumn and leaves had already begun to fall from the trees. It was just another day at school. Unfortunately for Tiffany, it was another day wondering about what mood Taeyeon would be in. Even though it was a new year, it was the same thing with Taeyeon. It was hard to read her since she would have a blank stare most of the time. It was almost like Taeyeon wasn't there.

 

Tiffany would try and ignore it. She still hadn't grown used to seeing Taeyeon like that. She was still holding on to the sweet, innocent, happy, smiling girl. Being how Tiffany was, she would just talk and talk about things thinking Taeyeon was listening to her, but she wasn't.

 

"Right Taeyeon?" Tiffany asked.

 

"........" But received no response from her.

 

"Were you even listening to me?" Tiffany asked.

 

"........" No response once again.

 

"Are you okay?" Tiffany would ask her this question a lot, she knew the answer but still asked. The actual question she wanted to ask wasn't very nice, so Tiffany kept it to herself. Plus, it would cause problems with Taeyeon.

 

"I'm fine." Taeyeon finally said. Tiffany knew that Taeyeon wasn't okay, and she knew if she asked again, she would probably get an answer, but not the truth.

 

It was lunch, and they were sitting on the grass. Tiffany had stopped talking. She looked at the other students, and they were either laughing or simply having a good time with their friends. Then she turned to Taeyeon. It was the complete opposite.

 

Tiffany couldn't remember the last time Taeyeon smiled. It had been so long. She always tried to make her smile or at least laugh, but it never worked. When she thought about it, it just made her depressed, so she tried not think about it so much. She wondered if she'd ever get used to seeing Taeyeon so...lifeless.

 

Tiffany didn't know exactly why Taeyeon started to be like this, but she did remember it began to happen when Taeyeon was about 12 years old. As time passed, Taeyeon suddenly started to become more and more apathetic. To Tiffany, it was like Taeyeon looked like herself, but she acted like someone else. It made Tiffany frustrated because she didn't know why Taeyeon was the way she was. 'How can someone change so drastically?' she asked herself.

 

It hadn't been long since school started, but Taeyeon was already slacking in class. All her grades were low. Tiffany had offered to help as much as she could, but Taeyeon refused. She just didn't care. Tiffany didn't understand how Taeyeon hadn't flunked or repeated a grade. Somehow she found a way to pass the classes she'd take.

 

The bell rung indicating lunch was over. Everyone began heading to class. Tiffany stood up first and offered Taeyeon a hand, but she didn't take it. Tiffany had to admit she was a little hurt by it but didn't say anything. She didn't want Taeyeon to get annoyed. It scared her when Taeyeon got mad, so she tried to avoid that part.

 

Taeyeon walked right by Tiffany, and she just walked quietly behind. They went to their class and sat in their seat. As the lecture began, Taeyeon had her arm on the desk with her head lying on it. Clearly she wasn't paying attention. The teacher would glance over at her once in a while during class, but wouldn't say anything. Before leaving, the teacher made an announcement.

 

"Before I leave, I have been told the school is having a tutoring program for students that are not doing so well. I have been given names of those who need it, and some of you are in this class, so I will call your names in just a moment. Also, it is not optional; it's mandatory. So you have to go, or there will be consequences." The teacher picked up a piece of paper from the desk and began to read off some names. Tiffany already knew Taeyeon's names was going to be called.

 

When her name was called, Tiffany thought she'd at least have some reaction to it, but there was nothing. When the bell rung, the teacher called Taeyeon over before leaving.

 

"Your parents have asked me to speak with you about this. You do understand you will have to come right?" The teacher asked.

 

"I understand, but I don't need the help." Taeyeon said.

 

"I'm sorry to tell you, but your parents have already decided you need to be tutored. Plus, your grades aren't looking so good, so I think you do need the help. I already have the days you'll need to go to tutorial." The teacher insisted and gave Taeyeon the schedule with the days she had to attend tutorial.

 

"Why did you only call me over? There were other kids on that list. Don't they also get a schedule?" Taeyeon asked getting annoyed.

 

"They will also get one, but I want you to get a one on one session because your parents told me it would be difficult to get you to go. So I thought if it's only you, it wouldn't be so bad." The teacher said.

 

"That really makes no difference. Either way, I don't want to go." Taeyeon said with a sigh.

 

"Well, you have to." The teacher said.

 

"And if I don't?" Taeyeon challenged her. Tiffany was ease dropping on their conversation, so when she heard Taeyeon say that, she quickly got up and interfered before it turned into something ugly.

 

"She's just kidding; she'll be there." Tiffany said awkwardly and grabbed Taeyeon by the arm, pulling her back. They went back to their seats to wait for the next teacher. They stayed in the same classroom, the only thing that changed was the teacher. There was a different teacher for each subject.

 

They had only one more subject left. During class, Tiffany asked to see the tutoring schedule the teacher had given her. Taeyeon didn't even hand it to her, so Tiffany reached over to grab it herself. She took a quick picture of it with her phone making sure the teacher wouldn't catch her doing it. She noticed one of the days was scheduled for today, after school. She knew Taeyeon wouldn't be too happy about it. Tiffany, on the other hand, thought it might be a good idea. Maybe this would finally get Taeyeon back on track.

 

The class was almost over, so the teacher let the students talk amongst themselves. Everyone turned to their friends and began to talk. Tiffany turned towards Taeyeon hoping they could talk about something for the remaining time they had in class, but Taeyeon seemed distracted, she was looking out the window. Tiffany thought she was looking at something outside, so she also took a peek out the window, but there was nothing.

 

"Taeyeon?" Tiffany called.

 

"Hm?" Taeyeon answered.

 

"What are you looking at?" Tiffany asked.

 

"Nothing." She simply said and took her gaze away from the window and shifted it towards Tiffany.

 

"It looked like you were looking at something." Tiffany said.

 

"Why did you say I'd go to the tutoring session?" Taeyeon asked changing the subject and her tone to a more serious one.

 

"Are you really asking?" Tiffany said in disbelief.

 

"Yeah, I am." She answered back.

 

"It looked like you were about to take that teacher's head off, so I intervened. You would have gotten into more trouble if you had hit her." Tiffany explained. It ticked her off that Taeyeon didn't realize she was trying to help her.

 

"Do you really think I'd hit a teacher?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"From the look you had, yeah I think you would." Tiffany honestly said.

 

"Maybe next time we'll find out." Taeyeon said with a cold voice. Tiffany didn't like it when Taeyeon talked like that. It scared her because she wasn't sure what Taeyeon was capable of. Before Tiffany could say anything the bell rung. Taeyeon got her things and began to walk out of class.

 

Tiffany thought Taeyeon was going to her locker, but she was headed towards the exit of the school. Tiffany rolled her eyes and let out a sigh. She knew this was going to happen. She went after her and stopped her from going any further by grabbing her by the arm.

 

"Where are you going? Tiffany asked.

 

"Obviously, I'm going home." Taeyeon answered.

 

"You can't, you have tutoring today." Tiffany told her.

 

"So, there is no way I'm going to that." Taeyeon replied.

 

"You have to, or you'll get in trouble. Don't be like this Taeyeon. Leave your pride behind and just get tutored. It's okay to need a bit of help." Tiffany begged.

 

"This has nothing to do with my pride. Are you dumb? Tutoring is just a waste of time. If you're so eager for me to go, why don't you go instead." Taeyeon harshly told Tiffany.

 

"You don't have to talk to me that way. I'm just trying to encourage you." Tiffany was hurt by Taeyeon's words.

 

"Well stop because it's not helping." Taeyeon said. Tiffany knew she was getting angry, so she decided to drop the conversation, and just let Taeyeon leave. Tiffany let go of her arm, and Taeyeon began to walk away again. Tiffany's eyes were getting watery, but she tried really hard to keep them in. She didn't want anyone to see her cry.

 

There have been many occasions where Taeyeon has lashed out at her like that, but she still stayed by Taeyeon's side. It hurt her profoundly hearing Taeyeon say those things to her, but Tiffany still had hope that Taeyeon would change.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

 

There might be a few things that sound similar to Secret, and that's because there are some things that I wanted to keep the same in the writing. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed it. Till next time~