If Heaven's Grief Brings Hell's Rain

Just One Yesterday

The door slammed behind him as he sobbed quietly in the corner.

Shoulders shaking with sobs as he tried to not make much noise so he wouldn't anger her.

She doesn't like it when he makes noises. Prefers him quiet rather than hearing him talking at all.

He didn't know when it all went wrong.

Everything was all like a fairytale at first. Intimate acts such as gentle kisses and warm hugs made his everyday bright in the past.

He remembered that time when they had strolled around at a park for a date.

Just like any ordinary couple would do, they were talking about each others' day and knowing about one another when Ji Hyo had popped the question.

" Oppa, you wanna move in with me?,"

He raised an eyebrow.

" I don't think that'll be a good idea. We're living in a traditional country. I don't think people would appreciate an unmarried man and woman living together," he explained.

" Yeah, but it's not like we're going to share a room or something. My apartment is huge and it gets really lonely without anyone there," she sighed.

Jong Kook was silent for a few minutes before he answered.

" Give me time and I'll give you an answer," he finally said.

Ji Hyo smiled.

" So... what was the 'something' ?",

She shoved him playfully.

A month later, he moved in.

He did not know exactly how or when it happened but ever since he had moved in, she started getting... violent.

Random outbursts of anger and rude remarks that stung his heart. But he was patient and he loved her enough to tolerate these behaviours.

That was until it got physical.

The first time it happened, it was on their anniversary of when they started dating.

He made her two waffles with maple syrup on top with whip cream. Ji Hyo has quiet a sweet tooth.

 It was all going smoothly until he made a mistake.

He didn't warn her that the waffles were still hot.

He ended up with a red handprint on his cheek and a burned hand. But at least, although begrudgingly, she helped him put some ointment on the burns. That's gotta count for something... right?

One day, he just couldn't take it anymore and packed some clothes for three days to stay at his parent's place.

For the first time in forever, he felt free and happy again.

But of course all good things must come to an end.

On the way to the apartment, he had a strong urge to turn back and never come back to Ji Hyo again.

He went back anyway.

When he opened the door, Ji Hyo was sitting on the living room's sofa with a cup of coffee and giving him a death glare.

It was only after an hour and a half of emotional and physical abuse did he knew what his mistake was.

" Wait! I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell you where I went!!," he had shouted.

She had a knife in her grasp and had attempted to try and cut him with it... again.

Ji Hyo threw the knife on the sofa and walked towards him before slapping his face and roughly grabbed his hair.

" The hell did you go for three ing days?!," she shouted.

" A-At my parent's house," he stuttered.

" You left me here alone for three whole ing days just to go crying to your mommy and daddy?!! Pathetic," she spat. Her words hurting him more than the knife would ever do.

She left to go into her bedroom, leaving him on the floor to sob quietly.

Minutes later, she came out. Face filled with worry and sympathy, she knelt down beside him and pulled him into a hug.

" I'm sorry, baby. So sorry. I was just so worried. I waited for three days thinking that something bad had happened to you,"

He didn't say anything, fearing repercussions if he did.

" Shh. There, there. Don't cry. I don't want to hurt you anymore,"

He didn't stop crying but he did stop his loud sobs.

Just to make her happy.

He dropped subtle hints to his hyungs and dongsaengs at Running Man whenever Ji Hyo wasn't around.

" She hits me sometimes,"

" You should have seen her that time, she looks like she was going to kill me,"

" Last time I did that, Ji Hyo almost choked me to death,"

But they didn't get it and they probably never will.

He got the last message when she eventually find out.

Haha had spilled to her some things he had said.

She was angry. Very angry.

He hadn't felt that scared since his Turbo days where his manager used to beat him and his partner up.

He ended up with new scars, burns and bruises.

In the past he would come home to his mother and father greeting him with hugs and happy smiles before a long hot shower after a day on Running Man.

Now he just hopes that he doesn't make any mistakes that would anger Ji Hyo enough to beat him up again.

Days like this does he wish for the old Ji Hyo to come back. The sweet, caring, fun-loving Ji Hyo that doesn't get that cold, malicious glint in her eyes when he knows she was going to hurt him.

But then again, wishful thinking won't serve any purpose. As they say, hope is the root of all disappointment.

And although he told himself to stop hoping, he just couldn't.

Snapping himself out of his thoughts, he didn't realize he was humming.

It was a song he had heard from the radio one day when he was on the way back home from grocery shopping.

The lyrics spoke to him and he found himself singing to the chorus of the music.

If Heaven's grief brings Hell's rain

Then I'd trade all my tomorrows 

For just one yesterday

He hugged himself tighter.

I know I'm bad news

That was probably why Ji Hyo seemed to hate him. Maybe she didn't actually love him and didn't want to hurt his feelings so she just agreed to date him.

He was the mistake.

For just one yesterday

I saved it all for you

I want to teach you a lesson in the worst kind of way.

If all those beatings were just lessons to teach him to be more knowing of her needs and feelings, well... he guessed he was too stupid to learn.

Still I'd trade all my tomorrows 

For just one yesterday

I know I'm bad news

For just one yesterday

I saved it all for you

For just one yesterday

The bedroom door slammed open as Ji Hyo stood at the doorway, fists clenched beside her as her face turns red with rage.

And he let out a whimper.

A damn whimper.

That only seemed to make her anger increase as she stomped her way towards him.

She stopped in front of him and looked down at him with an expression that can only be described as disgust.

He only curled up himself more.

" What the hell did I told you about not wanting to hear any ing noise!!!," she shrieked as she kicked his sides.

He let out a gasp and prayed that this time it won't be so long.

He was just so tired.

But that's okay. He won't be leaving Ji Hyo as long as he still loves her.

He just hopes that it wasn't going to be too long.

Just hope that it wasn't going to be too late.