Chapter Three - Taekwoon

In This Moment
In This Moment
"For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought."
—-Edmund Spenser

The correspondence shared between the males was rather minimal. Taekwoon took responsibility for that though. Cellphones, let alone texting and the internet, weren't really his thing. The only reason why he really liked his phone was to listen to music while he was out. Since Hongbin's come back into his life, he had been holding his phone in hands more often this last week. It was usually kept tucked away in his pocket and forgotten. Although now, he's been pulling up the text messages and wondering if he should message him. He almost always stopped himself. He was sure Hongbin didn't need him bothering with texts while he was preparing for the gallery opening. The few messages they had exchanged were about the former.


Hongbin knew better than anyone that art was something Taekwoon was never big on. It's not to say he hated it. Yes, he could appreciate it for what it was. He just never got the joy out of it like Hongbin did. Maybe it was because he never really had any artistic abilities. That's a quality he was always envious of in the younger. Taekwoon had grown up seeing how talented Hongbin was. His artwork was truly remarkable and so life like, so unique. Sometimes after soccer practice, he would lay in the middle of the field after everyone's already left and let himself slip into Hongbin's mind. Watching the younger male was calming, almost theraputic even. Taekwoon never told the other of this. It's something he's kept to himself all these years. It would be far too embarrassing to have Hongbin know. Plus, he figured that he wouldn't necessarily enjoy hearing that. Afterall, that was supposed to be Hongbins' private time.


Taekwoon shifted against the seat of the bus, feeling a bit uncomfortable in the suit. Why were these things so stiff? It probably didn't help that the male had kept ironing the suit more than he should've before putting it on. Wrinkles were a big no-no. He didn't want to look sloppy, but he wasn't used to wearing suits. A T-shirt and black skinny jeans were his go to clothes for his day-to-day life. This was entirely out of his comfort zone. Taekwoon would endure it though if it meant spending time with Hongbin. That was worth more than anything. Their time together was precious to Taekwoon now more than ever before. To regain something that had merely seemed like a long lost fantasy filled him with this new found joy. 


The brakes let out a low screech as the bus came to a halt. This was his stop. This part of town was unknown to Taekwoon. It was more of the 'high-class' area, so to speak, that he typically stayed away from. The male stood from the seat, thanking the bus driver before getting off. Once his feet hit the pavement, a sense of uneasiness erupted from the pit of his stomach. This entire thing was so far out of Taekwoons' range. He was almost positive that it was going to be rather packed and that meant potentially interacting with people who weren't Hongbin. The mere thought of it sent his heart soaring up into his throat. 


"You can do this, Taekwoon... For Hongbin." Those few words said aloud gave him all the reassurance he needed. With a small, self-affirming nod, his feet carried him in the direction of the gallery.


Taekwoon couldn't believe that the gallery itself seemed like a work of art. The architecture of it was magnificent. The shape of the building was rather odd, yet endearingly unique. Cone like glass and steel jutted out of the building, extending out in all directions. The front was all adorned in ceiling-to-floor glass windows that he assumed would be good for letting in natural light during the day. He could remember Hongbin preferring to view art in a naturally lit setting, though he never understood why. Something to do with the lighting and shadows. It was beyond him, but he didn't question it. 


From what he could see by looking in, the gallery was rather busy. People stood around and sipped on flutes of champagne as they viewed the art. This was so far out of Taekwoon's elememt. Taekwoon felt like he was underdressed and not qutie at grips yet with how to properly analyze art. He wasn't able to find deeper meanings to art like many others did. All he could hope for was that he didn't embarrass himself or Hongbin. Standing there and over analyzing art seemed simple enough. So long as no one tried stirking up a conversation about the art. Maybe he could pull off pretnding to be mute if it came to that.


'You really are being melodramatic. No one is going to bother you.' The thought kind of brought him back to reality when he placed a hand on the sleek metal handle of the glass door. His entering went unseen by the observers, the only ones noticing were hostesses. They greeted him with a smile and handed him a pamphlet that highlighted the main points of the event and had a brief description of Hongbin. Not that he doubted the younger, but he really was doing well for himself. This was big time stuff. Especially for someone whom was still in college. These things were usually only held for the big names in art, right?


Gripping onto the pamphlet, it being his only hold to reality at the moment, Taekwoon took small, ginger strides towards one of the pieces hanging on the wall. This was one of the darker pieces, bold black lines adorning the canvas. Each told a story. Taekwoon so desperatly wanted to be able to read it, dig into the wonderous mind of Hongbin. Without the bond, he couldn't simply find out what he wanted in a matter of seconds. It was a new experience, rediscovering Hongbin's mind like this. So far, this painting had a soft omonious murmur to it. It reminded Taekwoon of some the art the younger had done while they were in high school. He knew that that wasn't a particullary happy time for him. It pained him to think that Hongbin had drifted back to that at some point. At least now though, he had a very small piece of the puzzle. 

 

A few people close to him murmured about this particular piece. Each one having a different perspective on it. It was baffling to him how people could so easily find so many meanings when he was grasping at straws basically. His only theory being based on what he already knew about Hongbin. These people knew nothing of the artist but could decipher pieces of him in moments just based on these paintings. Taekwoon was disappointed in himself for not seeing what they saw so quickly, but brushed it aside for now as he moved onto the next painting.  

 

The next painting was on the darker side as well. This time, it didn't nearly feel quite as meloncholic which was odd. Maybe its because he's no art virtuoso or anything, but the color scheme hardly reflected the intent of the piece. Which only futher confued Taekwoon. Goodness, art truly wasn't in his range of expertse. It was a beautiful piece. Just perplexing. Maybe that was the point of it? To envoke a series of inflicted emotions from the viewer? He would have to ask Hongbin to explain all of these to him at some point because Lord knows he wouldn't be able to figure this out himself.

 

Speaking of Hongbin, where exactly was he? It was easy to not see a person in this sea of bodies. As much as Taekwoon was desperate to be by his side so he wouldn't feel quite as isolated, he figured that he undoubtedly was busy. He himself saw a few reporters flitting around the throng of people. Hongbin must've been almost in a state of euphoria with all of this. Anyone who knew him knew how desperately he wanted to see his art be truly appreciated it in it's purest form. This was going to give him some of the recognition he surely deserved. Hongbin really only had art for a large part of his life. Takewoon had sports while he had art. To think those nonsensical scribbles he had done as a child could lead to something like this. Watching an artist grow and take their own is a fanscinating sight to behold. Hongbin was still so young, but was already a master of his domain. All his success was much deserved and earned. 

 

Taekwoon made his way through almost all the paintings. A majority of them had that dark color scheme to them. Hongbin had probably done that as some sort of theme. Though, he did notice that the paintings leading up to the main, still covered, piece slowly began adding color to them in small splashes. Each piece getting closer slowly adding more color to it's canvas. It left Taekwoon's mind scrambling as for what the main piece could be. He was quite curious and couldn't wait to see what was going to be unveiled. It was certainly going to be astounding simply based on how wonderful all the other pieces were. Even for someone who didn't have big opinions on art, Taekwoon could tell that his talent was a special one indeed.

 

An hour had easily passed by then and still no sign of Hongbin. He wanted to see him and congratulate him on this big of an accomplishment. As he thought that, Taekwoon felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned and was face-to-face with the man of the hour. It was an unexpected, but surely welcomed sight. Any sort of nerves that had knotted in his stomach unfurled instantaneously. Even now, being in the presence of Hongbin had a calming effect. Even more so that he actually wanted him around this time. One of his trademark, deep dimpled smiles graced the youngers face.

 

"Taekwoon, I'm so glad you could make it! I knew it was you the second I saw you come in. I'm just sorry I couldn't talk to you sooner. There was a bigger turnout than expected and I had to meet quite a bit of people. Making a good impression is key right now. Anyways, what do you think? Did this all turn out okay? I really want to know what you think."

 

Taekwoon already knew his answer to that, based on everything he saw. "It's great, Hongbin. You don't have to look so worried. This many people wouldn't be here otherwise. This all... so breathtakingly inspired and beautiful." He only spoke the truth on this matter. Taekwoon wouldn't lie to him. This was just all too perfect to not be enraptured with.

 

Hongbin seemed to visibly relax at that. Why was he so nervous anyways? He knows he's a good artist and shouldn't doubt his own ability.

 

"All these people are here and still, your opinion mattered the most to me... I don't know what I'd do if you hated this."

 

To say Taekwoon was taken aback by that would be the understatement of the century. Considering their previous relationship and circumstances, his reaction was justified. Hongbin truly despised him at one point and to suddenly care about his opinions on things was a confusing moment. Taekwoon wasn't about to complain it. The fact that Hongbin had even taken his feelings so deeply into consideration meant so much to him. This was all meant to be about the younger, and yet he was worried about Taekwoon. 

 

"Besides that, there's something I should tell you. The painting-" Hongbin's words were cut off when a petite woman came up to him, urgently needing his attention.

 

"Mr. Lee, the main piece is ready to be unveiled. The press is all waiting and will start to complain if they wait any longer."

 

When the woman looked at Taekwoon, her eyes widened briefly. Her gaze darted between the two men before she composed herself. What was all that about? Taekwoon wanted to ask as Hongbin told her to wait a moment.

 

"There's no time, Mr. Lee. We need to do it now, we're already an hour into the opening." Before either men could say anything else, Hongbin was being whisked away. Taekwoon could faintly make out him saying 'I'm sorry.' The younger surely had no reason to be sorry. He understood that this was important and came first. Though, he was curious as to what Hongbin had to tell and what was up with that womens reaction to seeing him. It was confusing, but he didn't dwell on it.

 

Taekwoon moved closer to the front where the large painting stood. The canvas itself had to be almost as tall as Taekwoon. How Hongbin even managed to paint such a massive piece was mistifying. It must've taken months of work on top of doing the couple dozen of other paintings currently being displayed that night. Hongbin was only wowing him more and more with each passing moment.  Hongbin stood before everyone, the crowd coming to a hush before him as if he were a god. He looked so in his element, no trace of fear or anxiety on his features. Just a warm smile that would easily melt anyone's heart. The young male went up to the mic, taking a moment before speaking.

 

"First and foremost, I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for coming. This night has meant so much to me. Growing up, my art had been shamed by my family and peers. So to be here before you all, knowing that for the first time in my life that my art is being truly appreciated is a gratifying and humbling experience for me."

 

It was true that Hongbin's parents were less than pleased with his choice to pursue art. They didn't even like it as hobby. His academics were to be his only priority and a sport as extracirriculum. Even his classmates looked down on him for it since he was almost always drawing. Living with such ridicule was hard for him on top of the strain of their bond. Hongbin has struggled to get here. Taekwoon knew this much. To see him accomplish so much now though was a happy moment for the elder.

 

"Only one person in my life has encouraged me to pursue this dream of mine, as unrealistic as it may be for others to comprehend. They helped me grow and become the artist I am today. For a time in my life, I couldn't convey this gratitude to them for a number of reasons. Today I can see just how much they meant to me over the years. This piece is to capture just how magnificent they are, in all aspects. Thank you." When Hongbin said thank you at the end, he purposefully looked at Taekwoon, causing him to become confused once again. Surely, Hongbin wouldn't...

 

Just as Taekwoon was starting to connect all the dots, the silk covering fell off the painting. An explosion of color filled the canvas all in an array of hues. Light and dark melding seemlessly into one another. It was him... Of all the things it could possibly be, it was him. The people were awe-struck by the intrique portrait. A roar of applause followed. No one had noticed yet it was Taekwoon up there. The painting depicted him sitting at a table, showing only the waist up, with a cup of coffee in front of him. His chin rested in one of his hands as he looked forward, a small smile on his lips. It was so bright and warm compared to all the pieces. Taekwoon was at a loss for words, at a loss for any concievable action at the moment, as his jaw hung open in disbelief. Why would Hongbin do this? Why him of all people? It was flattering of course, but it only left Taekwoon more bewildered than before. There were so many unanswered questions. It was overwhleming.

 

Trying to process what had just happened, it didn't take long for people to realize that the man in the painting was in the crowd with them. Murmurs filled the room, everyone questioning who the muse of the painting was. All eyes were on Taekwoon. He felt himself internally crawling into himself, not ready for all, any attention for that matter, to be on him. A warning of some sort would've been nice. Taekwoon was not designed to be the focus in such situations. It's not like when he was in high school and being the cool, mysterious sports star worked with everyone. Now people were inching closer to him, wanting to ask him a million questions about the painting and why he was the focus of it. Even he didn't have the answer for that.

 

He couldn't deny though that it was a masterpiece. Taekwoon truly looked beautiful in the painting. It was an odd thought to have about himself, but it was true. The way Hongbin brought him to life like that was just remarkable. In contrast with the other paintings, this one just screamed joy. All the colors were in a harmonious symphony with one another effortlessly. It was like a watercolor dream. Hongbin must've put so much time into something like this, especially considering it's size. If Taekwoon had any doubts that the younger had actually missed him, each and every thought was immediataly eradicated. No one makes such a beautiful work of art for someone they hate.

 

As people tried to talk to Taekwoon, Hongbin swooped in for his rescue. He politely asked everyone to refrain from bombarding him with questions. That any questions could left with his assissant that he'll answer in a month at the time of this installments ending. The younger led him away to a more quiet area of the gallery. Surprisingly, no one had followed them. The people instead flocked in front of the painting to exam it further or to look at the pieces that adorned the walls.

 

"I'm sorry about putting that on you so suddenly, I wanted to tell you before I unveiled it, but as you saw, I wasn't going to be left alone. I hope you don't mind... I just... That piece means a lot to me... I..." Hongbin could barely speak, his nervousness quite apparent.

 

Taekwoon reached a hand out to lightly his upper arm in a reassuring manner. "Hongbin... That's.... That's the kindest thing anyone has ever done for me. I don't even know how to begin to thank you. All the time you've put into that. I don't even know what to say besides thank you. Thank you, Hongbin. Thank you for doing this and thank you for thinking about me when I was no longer with you."

 

Hongbin looked up at him in relief. The elder couldn't even begin to understand why he would think he wouldn't like it. After all the obstacles they've been through, mostly with Hongbin just totally disregarding him, to do this is the highest form of gratitude he could imagine. A simple painting within itself was more than he would ever expect. To have it be the main piece of a such a prestigous gallery was unthinkable. 


It was hard to exactly place his feelings at the moment. A warmth was swimming in his heart that he was sure he hadn't ever felt before. Looking at Hongbin in this moment was like looking at a whole new person. Taekwoon felt almost short of breath, but inexplicably happy. He wanted to take the young artist in his arms and not let go. Wanting to even show any sort of affection was unlike him. Hongbin always managed to do this to him though... Make him feel like he was almost powerless, totally at his surrender. Hongbin could stagger him at an given moment. Even during their darkest times together, Taekwoon had this fondness for him. A fondness like no other. He didn't know what it was and never took it upon himself to further question it. 


"I'll have to go back into the madness soon. Think we both know they won't let me stay away for too long. But, I'll be free after. Or if you can't stay any longer, let's plan to see each other. We still have a lot to catch up on." 

 

"I should get going sooner. I'll text though later on to see when you're free. It'd be great to see you again."


In what Taekwoon could only assume was a spur of the moment swirl of emotions, Hongbin wrapped his arms around the elder. It was a breif, unexpected hug. Still warming nonetheless. Taekwoon reciprocated, holding him close for those few seconds. Was it crazy of him to say this felt so... right? Like this is what should've been done long ago. Was it because Hongbin was already like family to him? That would explain, especially considering how he did try and 'mentor' him while they were growing up.

 

The sudden affection was short lived. Hongbin pulled back, his face slightly flushed a soft rosy hue. They both looked at one another with small smiles before he started to walk off, waving as he did. "Until next time, Taekwoon." And with that, the artist was back in the main area. The volume of the voices arose due to his return. Taekwoon stood there for a moment. He was dumbfounded by everything that had happened leading up until that point. The smile still having not left his face. 


From behind him, he could hear heels clicking against the hardwood floors. Taekwoon turned and was faced with a beautiful woman. Her skin was white as the snow caps of the Himalayan Mountains. Her features were soft, yet striking all at once. Though, Taekwoon can't say she looked like a very happy woman. Her eyes could burn holes into his soul. She stopped right in front of him. Her slender fingers wrapped around the champagne glass as she stared him down. 

 

"You come here for one night and he's fawning over you... Hongbin was doing just fine before you strolled into his life." The girl said before taking a small sip of the drink. Her red lips kissed the brim as the liquid spilled past her lips.


Taekwoon had no clue as to what prompted this. While yes, he wasn't a man of many words, he was truly speechless. Who was this woman? What elicated such a reaction from her? He had never met this woman in his life, but she clearly knew Hongbin. By the sound of it, maybe a girlfriend or something along those lines. Takewoon couldn't picture him being with someone who was seeminly jealous and confrontational. Then again, Hongbin had changed quite a bit in their time apart. There really was a lot more to the younger than what he knew.

 

"I'm sorry to ask, but who are you? If I've offended you somehow, I'm sorry. I'm merely here to support an old friend of mine," Taekwoon said after finally being able to muster up some sort of a response. 

 

She scoffed at his words, offended he even dare speak to her. "Who am I? I think the real question is who are you? Who do you think you are to just walk back in like this? I've been there for him. When he was wallowing in whatever self pity he had over you.  I was the one there to help him. molded him into who he is today. Hongbin wouldn't be here without me. For Christ's sake, my mother is the one who landed him this gig. Otherwise he'd be another penniless artist miserable and lonely like the rest of them. In all the time I've known him, not once could he sketch me, but you. He glorifies you in front of all these people when only God knows what you did to him."

 

"I don't know how you know Hongbin. Nor am I here to find that out. What Hongbin does with his life and the choices he makes are his own. You may not agree with them, I may not agree with them, but it's his life. I didn't ask him to do that painting of me. It was done a good while before I started speaking to him again so that's his perogative. Instead of placing blame where it's not needed, be happy for him. Hongbin has gone through hell to get here. Don't guiilt him further than others already have. Don't act like he owes you his life."

 

The words rolled off his tongue before he had time to process what he was saying. It was beyond rare for him to speak without thinking. Taekwoon was a rational man. He didn't let his emotions blind him. This sudden attack on him for no reason, especially concerning Hongbin, struck a sensitive spot in him. Granted Taekwoon hasn't been around this last year and he could've tried reaching out sooner, but he had his reasons for not doing so. Meddling in someone's life who no longer wanted you around wasn't right. Fate, or so he believed, brought them back together. Taekwoon wasn't going to let anyone or anything get in the way of becoming close with Hongbin. He had felt so empty without knowing that was always there with him. He just found him again. The elder had no intentions of letting this woman change anything.

 

Unable to say anything, the woman raised her free hand, drawing it back in preperation for what he could only assume was going to be a slap. How did Hongbin get to be in the company of this woman? Taekwoon raised his arm to block his face. The slap never came though. Instead the woman left out a soft gasp. He lowered his arm to see Hongbin grasping her arm. Taekwoon felt himself physically relax knowing Hongbin was now here. Maybe he could briefly fill in some holes.

 

"Jiyeon, what the hell is wrong with you? Pulling this on a night like this?" Hongbin asked once he let her arm go after making her turn to face him.

 

Taekwoon didn't know if he should leave or not. This seemed to be a very personal matter between them. His eyes locked onto Hongbin who had this intese look on his features. It somehow enhanced his sculpted face in a very pleasing way, though he knew it was wrong to have such a thought in a moment like this.

 

"Not once have you treated me like you do him... I've given you all my love and this is how you repay me? Falling over some guy... Some friend he was to you. He just left you and I had to be there to pick you back up. Instead you act like I'm the one who hurt you." Jiyeons' voice shook in the beginning, but became cold and hard but the end of what she was saying. What had Taekwoon done to Hongbin...? There was quite clearly a lot more to this that he was missing.

 

Hongbin let out an annoyed breath, visibly trying to keep himself composed. "You and I will discuss this later, Jiyeon. If you had anything like this to say, why couldn't you have waited until after? How could you do this to me now...? Time and time again I've tried explaining things to you, instead you just want to stay angry with me." The younger shook his head. "We'll talk about this later." Without giving a glance to Taekwoon, he walked off, leaving them both there in silence. 

 

Jiyeon couldn't find it in herself to look at the elder, instead keeping her head down as she walked past him. Taekwoon was going to take that as his cue to leave. If he thought he was confused before, this right now could very well surpass that. Taking a brief moment to collect himself, he let out a heavy breath. He walked to the exit, ignoring whomever may have looked at him or asked something. The faces all blurred into one. They were the least of his concerns.

 

What a night this had turned out to be...






 



 

the writer's words

Inspiration for the painting of Leo - Hongbin Watercolor 
If anyone knows the original artist, please tell me! I saw the painting on Twitter like two years ago and saved it, but can't find the original artist's  Twitter because I'm forgetful af. ; ; 

Thank you so much to everyone who has subscribed and upvoted the story! It seriously means so much to me. 34 subscribers? It might not seem like a lot to you guys, but it0's a lot for me. I find it hard to believe 34 people actually want to read what I write. It's baffling, honestly. Nonetheless, I really do appreciate it and it motivates me to write even though I'm so ty at updating. ty doesn't begin to describe how terrible I am at updating, though I'm trying to work on that. Baby steps. 

Hopefully you guys liked Taek's POV. I was thinking of keeping the story solely in Hongbin's POV, but after realiziation, I feel like adding chapters here and there with Taekwoon's side of things will help the overall progression of the plot. 

To the new readers, please don't forget to subsribe if you've enjoyed what you've read so far. Thank you again. ^^

P.S. I wrote this all between 3ish and 5ish AM so if there are any typos, I'm so sorry in advance. I'll try to go back and fix my mess after I've had some sleep.  I also know it took me like two years to write this but life got hectic and I'm forgertful af. A flaw I'm slowly working on.

-hongbae

< a tori creation >