Just the beginning...

My Amazing Best Friend [One Shot] Hyunseung

I walked in to the dance studio and watched him. He was a kind guy that always had such a gentle smile placed on his face. However, he was always in his world, dancing to the beat of his own drum, and I admired him from afar hoping he would one day take interest in me.

I watched his sweaty locks caress his face and sway the opposite direction to each action he took. It was obvious he was tired, but his determination was even more apparent.

“You don’t have to stand there and stare… you can come in y’know.” He said, still facing the mirror of the studio. I was a little startled by his words. I hadn’t realized that he knew I was there.

“I was trying not to disturb you.” I told him, sort of defending myself. He shifted from his fierce gaze to a softened one. He turned towards me and shot me a smile.

“You are always so considerate, but it’s lunch time anyways.  I was just going to go head out and eat. The rest of the guys decided to bail out of practice early.” He informed me, heading towards his gym bag to gain a sip of water.

“Should I leave then?” I questioned. He shook his head against it.

“No, how about you join me? We haven’t had much time to catch up anyways.” He pressed on. I shrugged not wanting to say yes, and not wanting to say no.

“I guess, why not?” I answered. He grinned and grabbed his stuff.

“Well let’s go. I have to be back in an hour y’know.” He told me, heading towards the exit of the studio. I followed him obediently.

I knew him before he became the big star that everyone knows today. He was just Seungie to me before.  Even in high school most girls would know him as “Hyunseung, that kid that’s always dancing all the time”. The sad part is that I’ve liked him since way back when. He has never noticed me though. He has always had his eyes on other girls, much prettier girls than I. Still, I remained his friend even through the heartache. I still admired him from afar, but I never expected those feelings to be returned to me.

“What do you feel like eating?” He asked. To be honest, I wasn’t really hungry. I came with him because he invited me.

“Um… nothing, just choose something you want to eat.” I told him. He pouted but continued on walking. I could tell he was a little irritated at the fact that I wasn’t going to eat anything, but he didn’t complain.

We arrived at the restaurant of his choosing and we ran in to G.NA unnie. She was so pretty. I could see Hyunseung start glowing as he saw her. I frowned a little. I wished he would look at me how he looked at her. I couldn’t blame him though; she was a very beautiful person.

“Noona! I didn’t expect to find you here!” Hyunseung exclaimed.

“Yeah, this is my favorite place to eat.” She told him. She looked over at me and smiled.

“Oh noona this is my friend Aimee. Aimee this is Gina noona.” He said, introducing me to her. I smiled and shook her hand. It was always strange meeting the girl that was the apple of my oppa’s eye. They had a short conversation that I took no part in and we both sat down together.

“So are you sure you don’t want to eat?” Hyunseung asked. I shook my head.

“Nah, I’m not all that hungry.” I answered.

*especially after meeting Gina unnie*

Our waiter came up to us and we stared at each other. I recognized this boy. He went to school with me. He was also an idol, but he was just my friend. We got to know each other at school. We were paired up for a project and since then the rest was history. This guy’s name? Park Hyunshik.  I always saw Hyunshik as the kind of guy that any girl’s parents would be happy to meet. He had face of an angel and the manners of a politician. Getting to know him, I found out that he was as nice as he appeared to be. I always thought that if I could get over Hyunseung I would fall for him.

“Yah Aimee?” He questioned. I smiled and laughed at his expression.

“Yes cutie, it’s me! What are you doing here?” I asked. I could see Hyunseung started to get a little restless.

“Oh I’m covering for a friend. Well, it was more like a bet and I lost.” He confessed, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment.

“Well I know it doesn’t cover for anything, but you look mighty spiffy in your waiter uniform.” I said, while fixing one of his cuffs.

“Well actually, coming from you it means the world.” He said, winking at me. I couldn’t help but blush. After all he was an idol; he was an expert at making girls swoon. Hyunseung then coughed, making us look over in his direction.

“Umm Hyunshik, this is my friend Hyunseung.” I introduced him. They greeted each other politely, but I could tell that it was very awkward for them.

“So I need to get back to work, but maybe we should hang out some time? Maybe we can catch a bite in the café or somewhere nice?” He asked, hopefully. I nodded.

“Yeah, that sounds great but you’re paying.” I told him. He pouted but nodded.

“Fine, only because I passed Calculus because of you.” He told me, walking away and waving. I smiled a waved back. I always wished that Hyunseung and I could be as comfortable with one another as Hyunshik was with me.

“So he’s your friend?” Hyunseung immediately asked. I nodded.

“Yeah, we go to school together. I help him pass his classes and he lets me watch him practice at the school studio.” I told him. It wasn’t always that way, but that’s how it ended up being.

“Do you like him?” He asked. Hyunseung’s eyes were dead set on mine. I knew he wanted an answer.

“Well if I didn’t like him, he wouldn’t be my friend.” I told him. He shook his head.

“Never mind, forget I asked,” He told me. I sighed, and looked out the window and around the restaurant. Before I knew it I was following Hyunshik with my eyes. It wasn’t intentional, I was just curious to see if Hyunshik really acted the same with everyone.

“Umm… not that I want to interrupt your staring at your friend over there, but I thought we were going to catch up?” He told me, slightly upset. I shook my head and flashed him a smile.

“Sorry, I was just curious was all. How have you been oppa?” I asked. He shrugged.

“Pretty tired. Learning the steps for Soom is really a piece of work.” He told me. I nodded and smiled.

“Yeah, Hyunshik was teaching me a few dance steps from their old song Mazeltov. It was pretty hard learning it. I can only imagine how hard Soom is.” I added. He frowned at the mention of Hyunshik.

“Yeah, maybe I can teach you some of Soom some time.” He muttered. I couldn’t understand Hyunseung’s moods and why he was suddenly acting so disturbed. Was it my fault?

“I think that would be awesome. I mean when you have time of course.” I answered him, smiling. Learning a dance would be much better if Hyunseung was teaching it to me.   

“Oh uh… yeah of course…” He told me. I could tell he was a little taken back from my response.

“Um… Seungie…”I called out to him. He looked at me curiously.

“Yeah?” He asked.

“Is something wrong? You seem a little disturbed.” I asked, noticing his behavior. On a normal circumstance I never asked about his emotions or if something bothered him. I always figured that he would eventually get over it, but this once I wanted to know what was wrong.

“Nothing is wrong. I guess maybe I’m just tired.” He answered me. I was disappointed by his answer. I knew Hyunseung and I knew when he didn’t want to tell me something. However, I didn’t press on. There had to be a reason that he didn’t want me to know what was going on.  I gave him a chance to eat and then I suggested that we head back. He didn’t disagree with me. We walked back in silence