=2=

Conflicted Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello :) Hope you like this chapter :) thanks for the feedback on the last one ^^

Also, a big thank you to the new voters ^_^

Thanks to: 

aya-ELF, luv4gyu, hyukiemine, einjhel79, fufufufu25

arin06, AndreyaL, tete-sii, balicucha, connieis1

hyukbear, riehae, NeMonkey

Gemma00, Sinbihae, Kim-Luhannie, mennie68

 

Donghae’s eyes abruptly snapped open. The moment he woke up, he felt a sudden anxiety come over him, and his heart was beating abnormally fast. He took a deep breath, trying to calm down his nerves, but to no avail. The dreaded day had finally come. It was his twenty-fourth birthday.

 

He had barely slept at night. He had woken up several times and then it had taken him ages to fall back asleep. That old lady from the fair had haunted him in his dreams. He simply wasn’t at ease. This was not how one was supposed to feel on their birthday. Instead of being happy and excited, he felt anxious and uneasy. It was the first time that he wasn’t looking forward to his birthday.

 

The past week, he had somehow managed to forget and suppress that creepy experience at the fair. However, at some times, those disturbing and frightening thoughts had managed to sneak back into his head. He didn’t know how to deal with it. He didn’t even know why he was so scared. He knew that there was no reason to. He had everything under control.

 

However, despite telling himself that there was no reason to be frightened, he was alarmed. During the day, he avoided leaving the house. That old lady had scared him. He was trying to avoid something he didn’t even know what it was. He just wanted to lock himself in his room and not leave the house until his birthday was over. However, he knew that he couldn’t avoid going to the party Sungmin had planned for him. 

 

The whole day, he was telling himself that there was no such thing like fate, reciting those words like a mantra. He wanted to convince himself of it, thus he wouldn’t be as frightened anymore. Slowly, he started to believe it. That old lady was crazy and she had made up everything to scare him. Because there was no such thing like fate. He didn’t have a destined one and if he did, it was certainly not a guy.

 

In the late afternoon, he got a text message from his friend Sungmin, saying that he awaited him at his house at 7 o’clock. As he had already said, Sungmin organised a party for his birthday every year so that it was no longer a surprise. Sungmin didn’t even pretend that it was one. He simply used every opportunity to throw a party.

 

The sudden nervousness he had been trying so hard to suppress, returned. 

 

“There is absolutely no reason to feel frightened,” he told himself as he was standing in front of his full-length mirror. “Nothing will happen. You’re going to have fun and that’s it. No creepy stuff anymore.”

He nodded at himself as if to confirm his own words. 

 

He wasn’t wearing anything special for the party. Black jeans and a navy shirt, of which the two first buttons were undone. He had tried to style his hair a bit, but without success. Thus, it was just flat like usual. He grabbed his khaki hooded parka and then he was ready to go. He was even that cautious to leave his wallet at home. Better safe than sorry. He didn’t know what kind of people he would meet at the party tonight.

 

Downstairs, he went into the living room to bid his parents goodbye.

“Have fun,” his mother said to him with a smile.

“Don’t come home too late,” his father then said.

He hummed in response and walked out of the house. At least they weren’t strict when it came to partying. They wanted him to have the same experience as other people his age. Everything with moderation, though.

 

Sungmin lived only a few blocks away, thus he could walk there. He took his time, because there was really no reason to rush. It was already dark outside and a cold breeze was blowing. The days were getting shorter and the sun was rarely seen during this rainy month.

 

As he arrived at Sungmin’s house, everything appeared to be rather silent. His friend then opened the door and indeed, they were still alone. 

“The other guests are slowly going to arrive around 8 o’clock,” Sungmin explained with a smile. “So we still have one hour to ourselves.”

 

Donghae followed him into the living room and he sat down. He had been here so often that it was practically his second home.

“I’m going to get us something to drink,” Sungmin said, and disappeared into the kitchen for a moment. Then he came back with two glasses of champagne and he handed one to him.

“Let’s make this your best birthday party ever! Cheers!” Sungmin said cheerfully, and they clung glasses.

Donghae gave him a small smile and he took a gulp of his drink. He hoped that the alcohol would help him to calm down his nerves. If this was going to be his best birthday party ever, he didn’t know. He doubted it. 

 

“I have something for you,” Sungmin then announced. He then got up and walked behind the couch, where he picked up a flat box. Smiling, he handed it to Donghae.

“You really didn’t have to get me anything,” Donghae said, and he took the box.

Curiously, he opened it and he gasped as he saw what it was. It was a black leather jacket.

“I never saw you wearing one, so I thought, why not get you one?” Sungmin said, still smiling.

“Wow, it looks nice. Thank you,” Donghae thanked him, and he hugged him.

He didn’t own a leather jacket. He just thought it wouldn’t suit him. It seemed that Sungmin disagreed.

 

Around 8 o’clock, the first people came. Donghae was pleased about the gifts he got, even though he didn’t really want any. Soon the real party was on. People chatted together and danced to the music which was booming from the loudspeakers. Donghae was genuinely having fun, but he was still alert. It was his birthday party and he wouldn’t let anything ruin it. 

 

Donghae was then talking to some friends when he suddenly heard the doorbell ring. To other people it probably wasn’t audible over the loud music, but he heard it loud and clear. He saw Sungmin instantly rush to the door to open it, but he didn’t pay any further attention to it. He tried to focus on the conversation he was having with his friends.

 

However, there was a sudden change in the atmosphere. He could feel it. Everyone else around him didn’t seem to notice it. Donghae shifted from one foot to the other, feeling slightly uncomfortable. It was the same discomfort he had felt at the fair. There was almost something threatening in the air.

 

Donghae tried to maintain his concentration, but without success. He looked to the door and saw Sungmin talking to someone. It was his boyfriend, Kyuhyun. However, there was also someone else, but he couldn’t see him since he was hidden behind Kyuhyun. Then everything happened like in slow-motion. Sungmin motioned Kyuhyun to come inside. Donghae could hear his own heartbeat accelerate and the music became muffled. In his head, he suddenly heard a voice. It was the old lady’s voice.

 

“He is everything you are not, your complete opposite. When your opposite worlds collide, your life will change.”

 

The voice echoed through his head. 

 

As Donghae saw who the person behind Kyuhyun was, his heart skipped a beat. He instantly recognised him. It was that guy from the fair, the one he had bumped into. Realisation hit him like a bucket of cold water. The opposite. That guy was everything he was not. There was no way that old lady had meant him. No. This couldn’t be. Not him. 

 

Sudden panic overcame him.

 

“I gotta go,” he said to his friends, and he rushed into the kitchen. 

He knew that running away was pointless. Sooner or later, Sungmin would bring them to him since it was his birthday party. He had tried to ignore what the fortune teller had told him, but now that the signs were clear, there was no mistaking. It was not too late, though. He still had everything under control.

 

“Ah here you are,” he suddenly heard Sungmin say.

He tried to remain calm and he turned around. Both, Kyuhyun and that guy were standing in the kitchen. Donghae tried not to look at him, but he was well aware of his cold and intense stare. He could feel his eyes scanning his body and he tried not to shift in discomfort.

 

“Happy birthday,” Kyuhyun said, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter