one

Sun, Stars, and the Quest for the End of Loneliness

    September leaves fell from the sky like rain. Hanbin strolled leisurely, taking pleasure in the crunch below his feet. Today was the day. The start of a new era, a new empire, a quest for the end of loneliness as the world knew it. Sign up for a club, then make new friends. It seemed simple. Putting the plan into motion—now that was the hard part. 

 

    School had been in for two weeks already, and already Kim Hanbin, the “new kid” was accustomed to sitting in the front of dusty classrooms, eating lunch alone, and taking over any partner projects. It was a sad fate, but no one condemned him to it but himself. He hated to admit it, but he found great comfort in this punishment. They wouldn’t understand me. They’ll all just annoy me. I don’t know how to communicate. He was well aware that his excuses were pitiful. But today was club day, the perfect time to alter the course of his unfortunate fate. 

 

    It was common knowledge that Jochiwan High School was a total dump. Arts were depleted, and academics were mediocre. Broke and tired, the only way to be involved with any extra-curricular activities was to join a club, and start a club. And so began a tradition: the wonderful day-long (the perfect opportunity for teachers to slack off) ceremony known as club day, where students would make sport of persuading new kids to join their pre-established clubs. No one really wanted you to join. At least these were the thoughts that Hanbin heard as he strolled through the school’s front doors, humming a vaguely familiar tune.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

     Just sign it. Just do it. It’s so simple—Damnit Hanbin! Why can’t you just sign it? His hand quivered over the neat list of names with a black ballpoint pen. He looked up and examined the sign once again: “Music Appreciation Club.” The cardboard was adorned with several musical notations, smiley faces, and flowers. He swallowed. Club day was almost over. He had in himself a sort of resolve to sign up for at least one extra-curricular activity this year. Strangely enough, he had no real desire for friends, only the longing for that very desire. His hands were quite red and sweaty from the abusive grip he forced unto that pen. It was no use. He had been stupid to think that he could just sign up for something and immediately gain companionship. He sighed and turned around in defeat, only to be met with the enthusiastic countenance of a stranger.

 

    She wore a wide smile, bright eyes, and tastefully sloppy hair that curled just slightly below her ear, wrapped with a purple bandana. Upon her oversized, grey sweatshirt was a picture of a smiling orangutan, paired with some nonsensical English phrase. Cascading not quite to her ankles was an orange skirt, revealing a pair of beat-up, green converse high-tops. He couldn’t quite decide if it was an outfit fit for an eight-year-old or an eighty-year-old. To put it simply, she was quite the sight.

 

    “Hello!” She beamed, not at all receiving Hanbin’s uncomfortable body language, “Now would you just happen to be the newest member of our Music Appreciation Club?” Though it was untrue, her enthusiasm prompted him to nod his head bleakly, as if in surrender. “Fantastic! My name is Sun. Well, actually, it’s Sunhee, but Sun is just so much catchier, don’t you think? What’s your name—Wait! Don’t tell me; I’ll just look at our sign up sheet.” Hanbin fumbled around his poorly equipped mind for some way out of the situation, but the poor boy was not quick enough.  “Nice to meet you…Mr. Kim…Dong…Hyuk?” She tore her eyes away from the paper and examined him with scrutiny. The smart brown eyes seemed to tear right through his skin. They slowly softened. “Nope, you’re definitely not a Kim Donghyuk.” 

 

    Hanbin sighed in a bit of relief. He shook his head slowly.“My name is Kim Hanbin,” he said sheepishly. “I—uh—actually—I hadn’t gotten around to signing up yet.”

 

    “Say no more!” Sun exclaimed. “Kim. Han. Bin.” She said his name slowly while she wrote it on an empty line. Great. With a smile she placed the clipboard back onto the booth table. “You’re new to this school aren’t you?” She asked. He responded with a gulp and hesitant nod. “That’s fantastic! I know it looks like a dump, but I swear with all my heart, this school is a gem. I’ll show you lots of clubs to join!” She trapped his wrist in her palms and pulled him to another table. It was decorated with hand writing similar to the Music Appreciation club with many leaves and nature scenes.

 

    “Now this, this is the Herbal Tea Enthusiasts Club. I founded it last year. Every other Thursday at lunch we meet and drink like ten gallons of fresh-made tea. It’s decaf though; Mr. Choi—he supervises the club; I’ll introduce you sometime—he says that me and caffeine would be a recipe for destruction. Anyways, it’s fantastic! Of course, around spring time when it’s hot as hell outside we switch to iced tea. It’s a fantastic community to be a part of. Really opens your eyes to true beauty of hot leaf water. I myself don’t really care for tea exceptionally, but it’s really such a sacred drink, don’t you think? Care to join?”

 

    “Um…I’m not so sure that this is for me. I think I might just stick to the Music Appreciation Club,” he stated nervously. If she was offended at all, she sure did not show it. As if she did not even register his words, Sun’s smile reappeared as she led him to another table. 

 

    “This is the Stargazer’s Club. I think you’ll really like this one; you seem like a real soulful guy, am I right? I’m president. We meet every Saturday and look at the sky for two hours. No joke. And I swear, there’s absolutely no drugs involved.” She made an ‘X’ sign with her arm. “Isn’t it crazy? Don’t tell me if you want to join yet—I’ll give you some more time.” She pointed to yet another table, “That one over there is the Artificially Optimistic Reading Society. My friend Bobby and I are co-presidents. It’s really quite good fun. We pick a fantastically trashy book to read each month—I’m talking horrible plot, cringe-worthy delivery. For a good hour at least we discuss and treat it like Dickens—utter bull but a real good time.”

 

    “Wait a minute,” Hanbin said quite confused, “How many clubs are you involved with?I mean, you’re president of Music Appreciation Club, founder of Herbal Tea Enthusiasts Club, president of the Stargazers Club, and co-president of the Artificially Optimistic Reading Social?”

 

    “Society,” she replied. “We’re the Artificially Optimistic Reading Society. Completely different connotation. And to answer your question, I think I am involved with seven clubs. I’m president of the Exotic Pet Food Club, secretary for Badminton Club, and president of the Therapeutic Dance Club. Luckily, nothing seems to overlap. If there’s one thing I hate, it’s overbooking myself!” 

 

    Hanbin stared with a face that spoke of awe, horror, and respect all at the same time. “Don’t be too impressed,” she said cheerily, “I’m one percent away from failing all of my classes save for PE. I’m not good at academics, so theres no use in fighting my nature. It’s a pretty good system, and the teachers don’t mind. You see, Kim Hanbin, I’m the stupidest person you’ll meet all your life, but I hide it with class and enthusiasm.”

 

    “That’s a very…interesting outlook,” Hanbin remarked.

 

    “It’s not for everyone, don’t worry. Like you, you’re smart. I can tell already. I’m a real good judge of character. You’re good at numbers aren’t you?” She asked excitedly, “Aren’t you?”

 

    “Um, I mean, I guess—”

 

    “Oh, I knew it! That’s fantastic! We needed a new treasurer for Music Appreciation club. You’re like a knight in shining armor!” Before Hanbin could protest, Sun caught the attention of a boy across the room who sported jet black hair and a toothy grin. “Bobby!” She yelled, making a scene for the entire room. “Bobby, I found us a treasurer! Can you believe it?” Bobby smiled and sent a thumbs-up their way. I guess I can’t back out now, Hanbin thought with misery. With no warning whatsoever, Sun ran off somewhere as the monotonous bell resounded, bringing forh the end of club day and with it the end of all things safe and simple.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    “So, are you joining our cult?” 

 

    Hanbin nearly choked on his sandwich as the boy named Bobby took the seat across from him on the lunch table. As a result of shock most likely. he had nearly forgotten most of the events of club day two days prior. “C-cult?”

 

    “Hello, there. Needed to break the ice somehow I guess. I don’t believe I’ve properly introduced myself yet. My name is Bobby, Bobby Kim. We have the same last name,” he exclaimed. 

 

    “Yeah,” Hanbin retorted, “What a coincidence. Us and twenty percent of Korea.”

 

    “You’re kind of a smart ,” Bobby proclaimed, “But I like it. It’s surprisingly refreshing. And by cults, I was talking of the Jung Sunhee cult. You’re our newest member, right? I’m here to just give you your orientation.”

 

    “I don’t really understand,” Hanbin said, chewing thoughtfully.

 

    “We’re a family,” he said, motioning toward the table where Sun and a group of other…interesting students sat. The fashion was rather odd, and the laughter was rather loud. He noted that many of the girls were wearing subtle versions of Sun’s strange style. “A weird as hell family but still a family. And you’re going to be part of it,” he said as if it were already a proven fact. “We’re in seven clubs together—“

 

    “I just signed up for one though. I’m only here for Music Appreciation…and about that…I don’t even know if I’m going to stick with it.”

 

    “You will, don’t worry. Most everyone else only signed up for one club too. It’s Sun; it’s infectious. I’m her best friend; I’ve known her since we were little kids. Pretend I’m like a funky guardian angel or some garb like that, and it’s my duty to warn you about her. She belongs to a very peculiar version of the human race—always smiling, always making you feel like you’re needed and making the world out to be a very simple place. And that’s why most everybody in their right minds falls in love with her. There’s just all this foreign positivity that gets you to put forth all of your effort into things you never thought were important before. The next thing you know, you’re the co-founder of a club that cooks chicken and rice for dogs,” he said fondly. 

 

    “Is this a warning?” Hanbin asked, more than slightly amused. 

 

    “It’s an orientation,” Bobby repeated. “All you need to know is this: let Sun dream whatever crazy stuff she wants, but put your foot down every once in a while. If you don’t, she’ll drain all of your energy away. It’s just how she is. She loves people.”

 

    “How funny,” Hanbin mused, “I hate people.”

 

    “No, you don’t; you hate the concept. People just make you uncomfortable. I won’t lie; I also came here to check you out. I mean, our new treasurer has got to be an honest guy, right? Sun’s usually a real crappy judge of character. I swear she’d invite a serial killer into her house for tea if he so much as smiled at her, but she’s onto something about you I think. You’re a leader of some sort.” He smiled that signature toothy grin, “But you’re still a smart too.”

 


first chappie! I'm pretty excited. I'm sure you've all figured out by now that i like to write about weirdo girls like really. I will try my best to update often but let's be real i'm a procrastinator. Anyways I would really appreciate any comments or thoughts! Please subscribe and have an awesome day!