Part One

Trying It Out


Mingyu collapsed onto the floor, a mess of sweat and exhaustion. It was nearing three in the morning making that their fifteenth hour of practice. He glanced around the room to see the same expression on everyone's face: they were beyond tired. The dance instructor called for a ten minute water break making a wave of joy flush over Mingyu's entire body. Finally, break time. 

"Why is practice so hard today?" Wonwoo asked under his breath before taking a seat next to Mingyu on the cold wood floor. "I just want to sleep." 

Mingyu laughed as he friend rested against his shoulders. "That's all you ever want to do." 

"Are you calling me lazy, punk? Do you want to go?" Wonwoo laid all the way back against Mingyu, squashing him to the floor. 

Mingyu laughed, although the tight compartment hurt his ribs, and attempted to push the boy off of him resulting in one of their usual wrestling matches. The rest of the boys looked on, smiling at the twos silliness before Seungcheol broke it up with a "Guys, your gay is showing" comment. 

"Like it's a secret," Wonwoo chuckled sarcastically, pushing Mingyu, who had ended up pinning him to the floor with his knees, off of him and sitting up. Mingyu scooted to the side and tilted his head in confusion. 

"What's a secret?" Wonwoo just looked at him with a blank stare for sometime before breaking into a wide smile. 

"You're such a doofus." He stood up and put out his hands to help Mingyu to his feet. After struggling for sometime to pull the boy to a standing the position, he finally did it. He leant in, raising up on his toes a little bit to hold direct eye contact with Mingyu before smirking. "You, my friend, are so extremely gay." 

Mingyu was ultimately taken aback. Did he just hear Wonwoo right? He blinked as if it would help the situations before breathing out a small "What?" amusing his older friend. 

"You're so cute." Wonwoo grinned, patting his head as though he were a dog. The dance instructor yelled a five minute warning letting Wonwoo easily slip away from the conversation. 

"Wonwoo!" Mingyu yelled after him, slightly angry. He wasn't gay. At least, he was pretty sure he wasn't. He had always liked girls his whole life although he's never actually dated one. He didn't really talk about girls or have time to think about them now that he's stuck training everyday. Maybe he's just confused because he's spending such a great amount of time with only twelve other boys. That surely was the problem. Gay, straight; either way, Wonwoo had no right to joke about such a thing. 

Mingyu caught up with his friend outside the water fountain and grabbed his wrist quickly. He needed to get to the bottom of these "gay" comments. 

Wonwoo turned around with a raised eyebrow. "Excuse you?" 

"No, excuse you. Why did you call me gay?" Mingyu asked, not even trying to hide the hurt in his voice. Wonwoo's face softened before twisting into a form of amusement. 

"Are you really that offended?" He laughed but paused when Mingyu nodded. "Hey, I know you're not gay. It was a joke." 

"Well, you shouldn't joke like that." Mingyu commented after a few seconds of silence. 

"Oh come on. Don't take everything so seriously." Wonwoo chirped. "Besides, if you were gay I wouldn't mind. We could be gay together." 

Mingyu froze in his spot. Gay together? What was that even meant to mean? Did his best friend just come out to him? "Wait, Wonwoo are you?" 

Wonwoo turned towards the water fountain and nodded. "But don't tell anyone. You're the only person who knows. I trust you though," he took a sip before spinning around. "This won't change our friendship I hope." 

Mingyu quickly shook his head. "No, nothing could make you not be my best friend." He smiled. Honestly, he was proud Wonwoo trusted him enough to share something so valuable. He knew Wonwoo was probably stressing over hiding that secret for however long he's known about it. It probably felt awesome to actually tell someone and by the way his friend was beaming, he was overjoyed. 

They started back towards the practice room and a million and one questions filled Mingyu's mind. He wanted to ask Wonwoo so much but didn't know how or where to begin. As he reached to open the door he finally asked one thing he had been wondering. "So, who do you like then?" Wonwoo shut the door. 

"Why do you think I like someone?" Wonwoo asked quickly. Mingyu shrugged and Wonwoo sighed in relief. "I can't tell you then." 

"Why not?" Mingyu practically yelled. Now he needed to know so badly. It would kill him if he didn't find out. "I figured you liked someone or at least did like someone. How else would you really know your uality?" 

"Good observation." Wonwoo smiled. His friend may be idiotic but he had common sense. "Yeah, I like someone. I have for awhile, I guess?" 

"Who? Who? Who?" Mingyu jumped up down. He couldn't remember the last time he was this excited to anticipate something. 

Wonwoo laughed at his friends childish behavior before placing a hand on his shoulder. "Mingyu, the answer is so obvious." 

"Joshua? Jeonghan? Oh no, Seungcheol. I feel like everyone likes Seungcheol, but he obviously likes Jihoon. that our producer only bullies him-" Wonwoo put a hand to his mouth to stop him from continuing. 

"No more. You at staying silent for a rhetorical question." He motioned for Mingyu to bend down a little bit and cupped his ear with his hands. "Listen carefully." He said before pressing his mouth to the cupped hands. "I'm only gay for you." 

Mingyu had never seen Wonwoo sprint away so fast. 

<><><><><>

The next hour of practice seemed to never end. No matter how many times Mingyu tried to talk to Wonwoo or catch his attention in the mirror, his friend refused to look at him. Whenever they had a part together Wonwoo kept a good distance away and made sure to never make eye contact. And it frustrated Mingyu to an extent so large it was painful. 

As practice came to a close, Wonwoo quickly gathered his things and slipped off his practice shoes to put on his others before Mingyu could even get to the door. He latched himself onto Minghao's arm as the boy also put on his own shoes rather fast, and together they headed towards the dorm before the other boys. 

"You aren't walking with Mingyu today?" Minghao asked as Junhui caught up to them, linking his arm through his fellow Chinese members arm. 

"No, not today." Wonwoo sighed. Junhui exchanged a glance with Minghao, both aware something was wrong. 

"Did you fight?" Junhui asked slowly. Wonwoo shrugged his shoulders. 

"No, not really. I just said something extremely stupid because I wasn't thinking." He explained. The other two boys nodded trying to comprehend what he said. If anything, Junhui and Minghao were excellent listeners. 

"But," Minghao started sounding slightly confused. "Mingyu and you say stupid stuff to each other all the time. Why is this different?" Wonwoo had to stop walking in order to hold back his laughter. Minghao glanced back at him, the confusion clear on his face. "Just tell him to forget it and move on." 

Wonwoo smiled. "I guess you're right." He linked their arms once more as they reached their dorm. They walked up a couple of flights of stairs and reach the door. Wonwoo walked inside first, leaving the two members in the hallway. 

"So, did you just play dumb to give him advice?" Junhui asked in Chinese with a grin on his face as they slowly walked inside to see Wonwoo disappearing into his room. 

Minghao smirked. "Of course." 

<><><><>

Mingyu arrived back at the dorm with a heavy heart. Wonwoo had left practice without him leaving him to walk back with a bickering Seungcheol and Jihoon. Normally it would of been funny seeing his two friends fight over the smallest of things, but today it was just downright annoying. Everything Seungcheol said Jihoon responded back with a harsh, sarcastic comment that even made Mingyu flinch. Seungcheol eventually started doing the same back at the producer and by the time they reached the dorm they were in a full fledged argument about why purple shouldn't be a color. 

"It's in the freaking color wheel!" Seungcheol cried running a distressed hand through his hair. "Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple." 

"Doesn't mean it should be a color. It's just a dark form of blue." Jihoon remarked crossing his hair as Mingyu fumbled with the keys to unlock the door. "Can't you unlock that faster?" 

"I'm trying your highness." Mingyu muttered under his breath. He was about to go literally crazy. 

"It's a darker shade of blue because it takes blue and red to make purple." Seungcheol muttered.

"So you admit it's just a darker shade of blue?" Jihoon huffed as Mingyu finally opened the door. The two pushed past the tall rapper, arguing away. 

"No! Purple is a freaking secondary color!" Seungcheol yelled loud enough for the whole dorm to hear. A few boys poked their heads out of their rooms, surprised by the outburst about purple. 

"Oh? So it's not even a firstdary color? It's only second to you?" Jihoon yelled back, stomping his feet on the ground. 

Seungcheol grabbed the boys shoulders, shaking him as he spoke. "There is no such thing as a firstdary color! That's not even a word! It's primary and secondary." 

Jihoon pushed away from him and turned around. "Why can't purple be primary? Purple works so hard to be recognized by you and yet it's only secondary." By now all of the members were gathered in the living room, watching the fight go down. 

The room was silent as Seungcheol collected his thoughts. "Jihoon," Seungcheol started. "Are we really just talking about colors here?" Jihoon sighed and shook his head. Seungcheol glanced around the room at the other members before slowly approaching the boy. "Let's go talk in private." He placed a hand on Jihoon shoulders and ushered him off towards one of the many bedrooms. He turned around before closing the door, addressing the rest of the members. "Everyone, go wash up." 

The members stifled some laughs at the two behind the closed door, slight bickering to still be heard until Jisoo decided it was time to take charge. "Guys, stop eavesdropping." He said, prying Seungkwan's ear off the door. "Go wash up, three at a time, youngest firsts." 

The three youngest, Hansol, Chan, and a sassy Seungkwan's walked off towards the bathroom spewing possible reasons why the two were fighting. Jisoo rolled his eyes, turning back towards the door to pull Jeonghan away from it. "Can't you act like you're the oldest for once?" He laughed as his friend shushed him. 

"If Jihoon confesses I win my bet against Seokmin. So hush." Jeonghan commanded, putting his ear back against the door. 

"You bet on the relationships of our band members?" Jisoo asked dumbfounded. "Do you have a life?" 

"Obviously not." Jeonghan muttered making Jisoo laugh. Jisoo pulled on Jeonghan's ponytail, dragging him away from the door ignoring his reluctant whines. 

The rest of the boys walked off towards their respective rooms, leaving Mingyu alone in the living room. He decided now was the time to go and talk to Wonwoo. Privately. As shown by his leader and producer, it should do that trick. 

He poked his head into the room he and Wonwoo normally shared to find his friend laying down on the bottom bunk of their bed. He walked in and closed the door, alerting the boy he was there. Wonwoo glanced over at him and then rolled on his side, hiding his face. Mingyu sighed and sat on the corner of the bed. 

"Wonwoo-ah." He said. Wonwoo didn't move. "Wonwoo, you can't ignore me for forever." 

"Yes, I can." He said he huffed. 

"Let's talk. We need to," Mingyu said, tapping his friends leg. 

Wonwoo rolled over and sat up, locking eyes with Mingyu. "No, we don't. It was just stupid. Let's forget it and move on," he smiled. Like Minghao said, they said stupid things to each other most of the time, but it always worked out. If Mingyu just dropped it, Wonwoo wouldn't have to worry. 

Mingyu shook his head however. "No, I want to talk about it." Wonwoo furrowed his eyebrows, glaring at Mingyu. "Stop looking at me like that. Listen, I don't know my uality. But I do know-" 

"Mingyu," Wonwoo cut off. "If you're going to reject me I don't want to hear it. Let's just stay best friends and move on. Okay?" 

"You didn't let me finish. So, shut up and let me speak." Mingyu said sternly. "I don't know if I'm gay or straight or bi or anything else. I do know I'm happiest when I'm with you. That when you ignore me it drives me insane; it's complete torture. But when we're together I feel unstoppable. As if the world could throw anything at me and I could handle it. So with all that in mind, I want to try it?" He mumbled off the last part as a question rather than the firm statement he intended for. 

"You what?" Wonwoo asked confused. What was he mumbling about there at the end?

"I want to try it." He said again louder. Wonwoo tilted his head. 

"Try what?" He was so extremely lost right now. 

"I want to try it out. Us. You and me. Together." He couldn't even form a proper sentence his mind was so mixed up. It wasn't the smoothest way to ask someone out but it got the message across as Wonwoo's mouth fell open. 

"Oh." was all he said after awhile. "So, you mean you want to try being a couple?" He confirmed. Mingyu nodded and Wonwoo never felt himself smile so big. "That's great!" He laugh, flinging himself onto Mingyu. Mingyu fell backwards, falling off the bed and onto the floor. 

"Yeah, it's great. Now please let me breath." He wheezed out making Wonwoo laugh. He got up just as the door opening informing them it was their time to wash up. 

<><><><><>

Here is the first chapter!! Please comment, subscribe, and upvote if you like this story!! Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!!

Be sure to check out my Jihan fic "Staring Contest"