Could Have Been

Could Have Been

He was hoping that Sungmin would come to their first solo concert even though Kyuhyun knew he wouldn't be there because of his military duties.

But if ever the time of their concert was a year before, would he be able to see Sungmin there, cheering for him, for KRY, along with other members? Would the time be the same as before? Would they be the same just how they were three years ago?

For the reason that KRY would celebrate their 9th anniversary, they chose August 22 and 23 as their concert dates. Kyuhyun knew it wasn't just that. It could also have been their 9th anniversary.

Their love story began through an episode of Mini Drama where he played as a man with the same characteristics as Sungmin's late lover. After filming, Kyuhyun and Sungmin became best of friends that even the other members were jealous of that friendship.

It wasn't easy for them to be what they had become.

Sungmin was one of the few others who accepted him as a member of the group. Although there was an objection as first, after a week or so, Sungmin went to him and asked him if he wanted to have lunch. They had lunch and that was the first time when they had a really good conversation. He learned a few things about Sungmin, just how he was a martial artist - a black belter to be exact - whose talent included kicking and spinning of nunchucks. Kyuhyun joked, that he wouldn't dare messing up with him. Sungmin laughed and told him that he wouldn't really dare.

Time passed easily and they both developed feelings for each other. The accident happened and Sungmin never left his side until he woke up. The person he saw first when he woke up from coma was Sungmin. His eyes were filled of tears and he reached for his face to wipe his tears. Unknowingly, his tears also fell as Sungmin held his hand.

"I am happy, Kyuhyun. Thank you for fighting," said Sungmin.

Kyuhyun recovered with the help of the members, and of course Sungmin was there with him. As he saw Sungmin's concerned face, he couldn't help but to feel more for the older. His crush developed into something more. He fell in love just by seeing him and telling him how much Sungmin liked his voice and how much Sungmin wanted to be like him.

Of course, he thought that their friendship would be destroyed if he continued loving Sungmin, so he tried to stop himself. He tried avoiding Sungmin but he ended up looking for him every single day. The love grew bigger than what he expected. Sungmin once cried in front of him, asking him why he was avoiding him, for which Kyuhyun didn't confirm. But it pained to see Sungmin crying in front of him, more because he was the reason why he was crying.

He was foolish then, to confess that he loved Sungmin. And that time, he became firmer about his decision that he would do everything to make Sungmin happy and that he wouldn't make him cry anymore. Sungmin embraced him tightly. And he knew by then that he made the right decision.

They looked forward to everyday loving each other stronger and stronger, that included secretly cuddling and sharing kisses when members weren't around. Sungmin would always be proud of Kyuhyun's achievements as a singer, as an emcee, as a host and as a multiperformer. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, shared all his time teaching Sungmin to play Starcraft and to drink wine. They were both very willing to learn more about each other, and to like each other's likes. They hoped that it wouldn't end.

The pressure due to the tightness of their schedules made them more distant, which Kyuhyun thought was alright for both of them. But no matter what he tried to do, he wasn't able to give Sungmin what he needed - time.

Out of the blue, wanted it to end. Pride made him turn away and walk away. Pride made him build walls between both of them.

"Let's break up."

It took three words for their love story to end. Reasons were asked, tears flowed from both pairs of eyes. Kyuhyun wasn't sure why he told Sungmin that he couldn't continue anymore. All of a sudden, he was confused, unsure of their future together. Sungmin held his hands and told him that they would be alright, that he could bare to not see Kyuhyun even just for a day due to a schedule. But Kyuhyun made a mistake of letting those warm hands go.

Sungmin then decided to leave their shared room. Kyuhyun was of course upset.

"You chose to end it, why are you upset now?" Those were Sungmin's words when he moved out.

After that moment, he became more confused and unsure why he let him go. All happy memories flashed before his eyes. That time, he was very sure that he wouldn't leave Sungmin anymore. All the hardships, all the obstacles, he would face him if only Sungmin would hold his hand again and together, they would continue looking forward.

But it was already too late.

He didn't realize that Sungmin went to different direction. He told everyone that he had a girlfriend and he was ready to marry her before he could have his military duties. It broke Kyuhyun's heart when Sungmin locked eyes with him. He thought that Sungmin was having his revenge.

"She was there where I was alone," Sungmin told him. "You told me that you wouldn't messing around with me. But you did. You broke my heart."

"Do you love her?" Kyuhyun asked. He wanted to take it back, because he didn't want to know the answer. But he guessed it was too late. "I made a mistake, Sungmin. I love you and I still do."

"I love her. I love her, Kyuhyun," Sungmin turned around and prepared to leave, but Kyuhyun held him back by embracing him from behind.

"D-Don't go, Sungmin, please. I was foolish to let you go. If you give me a chance, I would do everything. I-"

Sungmin pulled himself from the hug and turned to Kyuhyun. "I gave you a chance to hold me back before when I was still in love with you, when I was still willing to sacrifice for you. But you... you let go of my hand. You let go of the chance. I'm sorry."

Kyuhyun felt really devastated after that. During the preparations for the wedding, he tried working as hard as he could to forget. He wasn't also able to go home to their dorm due to his solo album was already due. He decided to put all his feelings into songs.

He thought Sungmin would go back to him. He thought Sungmin would love him again once he heard his songs.

It wasn't that easy. Sungmin never returned. Months passed, the wedding happened during that time when he had a performance. He was unwell due to exhaustion, to drinking alcohol every night as he tried to forget the pain, and due to that painful feeling that his one and only love was about to get married. He was trying to sing his best, still hoping that Sungmin would be able to listen to his song. But as he continued the song, he tried to stop himself from crying that his throat became more painful.

But at least, it was a pefect excuse not to attend Sungmin's wedding.

When Sungmin entered the army, he expected that his wife would be there. And she was. But it didn't stop him from giving Sungmin his album before the latter could enter the camp.

"Please listen to the songs once you enter the camp," Kyuhyun told Sungmin. Sungmin smiled. Bitterness was not there anymore. Kyuhyun, for once after the wedding, became relieved that Sungmin was not showing a hint of bitterness. For once, Kyuhyun became contented. But the tears just flowed from his eyes once again. Before he could turn that happy moment into sad, he hugged Sungmin tightly. How he missed that hug that they used to share before. Kyuhyun pulled himself first and wiped his tears as he looked at Sungmin. "Take care. I love you."

Sungmin once again smiled at him. Kyuhyun knew that it was that one smile that made him fall in love with him. It was also that one smile that he would never forget.

***

"Kyuhyun! Congratulations!" Leeteuk and Donghae went inside the artists' room. Donghae put his arm around Kyuhyun's shoulder. "You're dazed. Still mesmerized?"

Kyuhyun smiled and nodded. "I am."

"Where's Ryeowook and Yesung?" Leeteuk asked. "Why are you the only person here?"

Kyuhyun actually didn't know. "Maybe they're somewhere. They won't be long. They would eventually go back here."

"Oh," Donghae remembered something and got something from his pocket. It was a piece of folded paper. "I got this for you." Donghae gave the paper to Kyuhyun who received it curiously. "Well, someone actually told me to give this to you almost four months ago."

Kyuhyun's eyebrows met.

"Why did you even give it now?" Leeteuk tapped Donghae's shoulder. "You brat."

"Because Sungmin hyung told me to keep it until August 23, 2015! It's already midnight so I guess I can give it now," Donghae explained to Leeteuk. "I wish everyone is here, including Sungmin hyung."

Kyuhyun stared at the paper for a long time. "I-It was from Sungmin?"

"I guess you need to read it now. We'll leave you now. Congratulations again!" Donghae patted Kyuhyun's back. Leeteuk just followed him and asked Donghae to help him find Ryeowook and Yesung.

Kyuhyun's heart beat fast as he opened the folded paper.

***

Dear Kyuhyun,

How are you doing? Hope you're doing well.

This is my first letter actually. The second's for ELF and my wife. So be proud of this, alright? I remember that one time, you told me that you should receive my first letter in the army. Here you go.

Anyway, I just listened to your album. Your voice is still as amazing as ever. I even teared up listening to everything. I didn't know that your songs and your voice would still make me cry. I hate you for that.

I wasn't able to congratulate you like how I always did when we were still together. I never forgot. I was just scared to face you to be honest.

I just want you to know that there are no bitterness nor hate whatsoever. You let me go, and I think it's the right thing to do. It takes a man to let the person he loves go even though he is still in love with him. I didn't understand your reason why you let me go so I asked you - no, I begged you - to stay with me. As I moved on, as I tried to and as I learned loving someone else, I understood why you just ended it between us. It wasn't because of the tight schedule. It wasn't because you didn't love me. You were scared that you would not be able to give me time anymore. Your time to love me more than before. Your time to know more about me.

Remember that I'm very happy that you became a part of my life. That I fell in love with you and that I had the chance to prove my love for you. Until now, recalling our past... it makes me happy than sad. Please don't feel bad and find someone who can also give you time to love.

I am not sure if you're still in love with me or not. I want to be selfish that I want you still to be in love with me. But I hope you can let me go fully. It is not the best for me, not the best for you, but it is best for us.

Happy 9th Anniversary! It is still KyuMin right so the anniversary is still on going.

I love you!

P.S. I actually entrusted this to Donghae. Did I do the right thing? Haha! I was writing this when Donghae arrived. He visited me the earliest so I gave the letter to him. If he isn't able to keep this letter safe, I swear I would hit him with nunchucks once I am out here.

***

Kyuhyun had tears in his eyes yet a smile on his face.

Sungmin had finally let him go. Maybe it was also the time for him to really let go and move on.

"Happy 9th Anniversary, Sungmin."

***

I AM VERY SORRY.