Chapter 2

Rays of light in the dark

~flash Backs~

19 years ago. 

11 year-old Seungwon was sitting on one of the hospital benches, looking at his father pacing back and forth in the hallway. Beside him was he 9 year old younger brother, Seungjoon. 

"Hyung, is Omma going to be alright?" Asked the younger boy. 

 "I don't know, Joonnie." Seungwon perked up as he heard his mother's scream of pain again. 

After a few hours, the doctors came out. Seungwon noticed the grim face and heavy footsteps. He knew something must've happened. The three guys quickly surrounded the doctor, waiting for the news. 

"The baby boy is healthy but the mother, I'm sorry." The doctor said and turned away on his heels. Their father dropped onto his knees and cried while Seungwon stood there, holding his younger brother. 

His father never held the baby. Seungwon didn't understand why. Maybe he's busy with his mother's funeral or maybe he hates the child. But Seungwon's confident that it's the latter. He had been taking care of his new-born baby brother since he came back home from the hospital. Everytime the baby cries, his father will yell at the baby saying how he's a murderer and is a noisy little prick which made the baby cried harder. Seungjoon would have to pull his father away while he will hum a lullaby for the baby to sleep. 

But one day, his father got drunk after a gang meeting and came back home, trying to release his anger at the little bundle. Seungwon caught his father trying to shoot the baby and managed to save the still asleep Maknae. 

That was the day that Seungwon swore at his mother's grave that he will protect the maknae forever. 

 


-PAGE BREAK-

 


  ~flashback~ 

15 years ago. 

The three brothers were in the park playing. They were flying the kite and was happily laughing away. 

"That's it maknae! You're amazing!" Seungjoon praised the youngest as the kite was flying higher and higher. 

"That's because you're a good teacher." Seungwon said from behind. 

As Seungjoon turned around to reply, the wind blew suddenly and the kite was blown down. The 4 year old Seunghyun panicked and chose after the falling kite. Little did he know, he had came to the middle of the road. When he heard loud honking coming from his left, he turned his head and realized that a car was already within a few feet of hitting him. He closed his eyes as he was afraid but the impact never came. 

When he opened his eyes, Seungjoon was already under the car in a pool of his own blood. He didn't know what to do and started crying. Seungwon hurried over and scooped him up, trying really hard to sooth him down while tears welled up in his eyes. 

Seungjoon never made it. They lost him on the way to the hospital and their father blamed everything on the maknae. In his rage, he had almost choked the young boy to death but was stopped by his eldest. 

"Wasn't it enough that you've killed your mother? Now you've killed your brother. You little murderer. I should've killed you back when you're still a baby!" 

For the first time, Seungwon was utterly scared. He scared for the safety of his baby brother and became really protective of Seunghyun. 

 


-PAGE BREAK- 

 


~present~

"Abeoji." Seungwon bow and greeted once he entered the room. 

The man sitting behind the table glanced up from the document on the table. He was clearly in his 50s with grey hair and  wrinkles on his face.

"Seungwon. How was the trade?" 

"The Russian side had agreed to our terms and will begin importing the goods starting next month." 

"Good. That useless boy can't even handle a simple business like this, luckily you're there to save the day." The man said, while continuing to read the document. 

Seungwon gritted his teeth. 

"He's just a college boy. What do you expect?" 

Seungwon clearly got his attention as he looked up with disgust but said nothing.

"Do you know just how badly hurt he is? You whipped him up just because he failed to come to terms with the vicious Russian Rose? You pitched a 19-year-old with a highly experienced mafia leader and you expect him to win?" Seungwon blurted.

"You've always been overprotective of that little piece of ! Don't you remember that he killed your mother and Joonnie?!" The older man slammed the table. 

"You're being unfair." And with that Seungwon exited the room, leaving his raging father.

 

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 


Seungwon got home after checking over some petty issue in the suburbs. 

"Won hyung." Seungri greeted outside the door. 

"How's Seunghyun?" 

"He's awake and Jiyong hyung is with him." 

Seungwon made his way into his brother's room. Seunghyun was sitting against the headboard of his bed while Jiyong was sitting in the arm chair who stood up right away when he noticed Seungwon. 

"Won hyung." 

Seungwon nodded in acknowledgement and noticed the untouched bowl of porridge on the bedside table. He glanced at Jiyong for confirmation and the latter nodded slightly. 

Seungwon sighed and sat by his brothers side. 

"How are you feeling?" 

Seunghyun continued to stare outside the window, ignoring the elder. At this moment, Daesung came in with a warm bowl of porridge and handed it over to Seungwon. 

"Maknae, have a bit of porridge. Daesung cooked it for you. You know just how amazing of a cook he is."

Seeing that the younger had no response, Seungwon scooped up a spoonful of porridge and hold it up to his brother's mouths. 

"Come on little baby, I'll feed you." 

Seunghyun got embarrassed and smiled slightly.

"Ah hyung." He took the bowl from Seungwon and started to eat slowly while the elder watched over his brother protectively.