Chapter 1

Rays of light in the dark

He grimly walked towards the black MPV, eyes trained on the ground, clearly lost in thoughts. His tall slick figure seemed brittle and weak under the moonlight. He walked pass the men standing by the car, ignoring the bows and greetings from them, noticing only the heavy stench of sweat and blood radiating from the car. He got into the car and sat in the back seat beside a tiny shivering lump. 

"Maknae." He gently placed his hands on the fabric covering the figure who flinched.

"Hey, Hyung's here. Come on, Maknae." The figure obviously heard him as it visibly relaxed and showed his face from behind his safe zone. 

It was a young man of around 19 years of age, with short brown undercut that's messy and greasy, sticking on his forehead. His face is littered with bruises and tear tracks marked the most of his cheek. 

Seungwon tried not to flinch seeing his battered brother. 

"Seungri yah, bring us home." 

The driver drove off into the night while the brothers remained silent at the back.

"I'll get Dr.Kim to come over later. Hyunnie, are you hungry?" 

The younger boy remained silent, staring outside the window by his seat. Seungwon knew better than to push his younger brother further and they remained silent throughout the journey home.

 


-PAGE BREAK-

 


 The car stopped once they're in the family compound. As Seungwon was about to step down from the car, a deep yet timid voice stopped him.

"Hy..yung, can you... Do it?" 

Seungwon smiled at the request and walked over to the other side of the car. He opened the door and tried to carried his brother like a princess.

"Hyu..ung, I can walk." 

"Aigoo, looks like someone's shy. Don't you forget that I've carried you for 19 years. Plus, I'm as fit as superman!" 

Seunghyun gave in and let the older carried him in his arms as he relaxed into the warm embrace. 

"Daesung, get the first aid kit please."

As Daesung scurried away to fetch the kit, Youngbae came over.
"Won hyung, let me help." 

"It's ok." Seungwon quickly made his way towards Seunghyun's room and gently put him into his bed.

The younger winced as his back came into contact with the bed. Seungwon wasn't surprised instead, he mentally cursed himself for being so careless. He gently laid his brother on his belly and removed his hoodie. The sight of welts and bruises welcomed him as he sighed thinking of the pain Seunghyun's been through. 

"Hyung, here." Daesung arrived with the kit, a piece of cloth and a bowl of warm water. 

Seungwon worked diligently on the wounds. Gently cleaning them with the cloth, stopping every now and then when Seunghyun winced. Then he put on some disinfectants and injected his brother with some antibiotics. 

Staring at the still form on the bed, Seungwon felt pain in his heart. 

 


-PAGE BREAK- 

 


  Seunghyun opened his heavy lidded eyes and was greeted by a terribly strong sunlight. He groaned, feeling sore all over his body. 

"So uri Maknae has finally woke up." 

"Ah hyung." He knew that the charismatic voice belonged to his beloved hyung.

"How are you feeling?" Seungwon was already by his bedside and wash holding him protectively. 

"Hurts." 

"Let me take a look at your wounds." 

Seungwon gently took off the bandages and applied some ointment on them. 

"He hates me." 

Seungwon paused, hearing his brother's broken voice. 

"No matter what I do, I'm just not good enough." 

Seungwon continued his work on the back. 

"Worthless, murderer. That's who I am. Just like what abeoji said. I'm a useless piece of that was just an accident. I shouldn't have been born." Seunghyun said, keeping his eyes shut. 

Seungwon's hands tightened into fists. Every time after a beating, Seunghyun will also be mentally broken down. Every single time his father laid hands on Seunghyun, the younger's soul will also be burnt down and he hated it. He hated how he couldn't protect that young little boy that he sworn to protect.

"Hyunnie, don't you say that." Seungwon's voice was intimidatingly low. 

"But it's true hyung. I'm a murderer. If I haven't been born in the first place, Omma and hyung wouldn't have died! I killed them!" Tears started spilling out of his eyes as he recalled all the memories. 

Seungwon panicked and held his brother strongly in his arms.

"No, Maknae, no. You're the best thing that had ever happened in my life. You're not useless, don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Seungwon said as he held Seunghyun's face, staring straight into the younger's tear stricken eyes. 

"Hyung." Seunghyun cried as he buried his face into his Hyung's chest.