Chapter One

Me Plus You

Chapter One

 

It’s one of those typical Saturday afternoons where Do Kyungsoo finds himself alone in their house. He could hear the chirping off the birds outside and as the trees and grasses sway side to side due to the wind. Stepping outside in their porch, he heard loud giggles coming from his neighbor and it is so familiar to him.

 

“… And then Dinosaurs came and ruin the city!” His son’s voice, Jongsoo squeals loudly as he holds the Dinosaur toy and makes it walk towards the small boxes and toy cars.

 

Beside him, is the neighbor’s son, Taeoh. He grabs the fire trucks and made a sound “broooooommm!”, driving it away from the dinosaur which Jongsoo laughs and chases it. They are in Taeoh’s little playground, under the shade of the tree in Jong In’s front yard.

 

It’s not just the two boys. Kyungsoo belatedly notice him. Kim Jong In. He is Taeoh’s hot Dad. The said man is holding a toy of Superman and he suddenly make it fly, knocking the dinosaur who’s attacking the city. Jong In laughs loudly as the dinosaur died, “Superman saves the city once again!” He said.

 

As the two kids proceeds on making a new set up for their play, Jong In looks up and meeting the gaze of Kyungsoo. He smiled widely, standing up and tidying his shorts before walking close in the fence that separates their houses.

 

“Hey Kyungsoo hyung.” He greets him with another smile. “Jongsoo came over to play with Taeoh, he said you were sleeping after lunch.” He said.

 

The elder breaks the eye contact, then walk down from their porch as his skin met the sun’s rays. “Yeah, I was watching some movies this morning.” He awkwardly scratches the back of his neck.

 

“He said you were watching Pororo.” His lips turn into a smirk, that made Kyungsoo’s heart beats faster than ever.

 

“NO!” He gasped, denying the truth. Cursing inside his head, he’ll never let his son watch with him again. The two boys look up and smiles, “HI DADDY.” Jongsoo waves then get back his attention to Taeoh.

 

“Whatever you say Hyung.” Jong In dropped the topic but surely knows that he’s watching Pororo. “By the way Hyung, Taeoh wants to eat out later. Do you want to come with us?” He looks up with his eyes, and in those eyes are expecting yes as an answer.

 

Kyungsoo thinks for a moment.

 

“No, it’s fine. You and Taeoh can spend time together.” He turned the offer down.

 

“But I want you to come!” Jong In blurted, then widen his eyes upon realizing what he just said. He clears his throat, “I mean, I want you and Jongsoo to come. Taeoh loves to have you two around.”

 

“I have plans for us tonight.” Kyungsoo lied. “But maybe next time, I swear.” He gave an encouraging smile to the younger. As Jong In looks at him with sad eyes, but Kyungsoo thinks that he would never know how much he wanted to spend his time with him alone.

 

“I will hold on that Hyung.” Jong In smiled.

 

 

4 months ago, (March)

 

“Daddy, what’s that noise?”  Little Jongsoo asked his Daddy worriedly who was busy cooking in the kitchen for their Lunch. The boy left his toy trucks, to climb up the sofa and look out in the window.

 

There he saw a truck and people unloading boxes and other stuffs into the front yard. In the very corner, he saw a little boy pulling a little box to help the others unload. Smiling and getting the vibes, Jongsoo immediately run towards the door and peaks silently. He rarely gets to meet new kids at his age in the neighborhood, after all in their place its either full of middle-aged people, teenagers or older people.

 

“Always be friendly and smile.” He remembered his Daddy’s words and slowly, he grabbed his big toy airplane, painted with blue, white, and red. Then proceeding on stepping out of their house. The fences that separates the house is smaller than him, so when he reaches it. Jongsoo look at his toys and then up to the little boy, few meters away from him. “Hello!” He greets loudly.

 

The other boy was pulling the second small box into the yards, but upon hearing another voice, he looks around and spots him. They stared at each other in almost a minute, and then Jongsoo shows his hand with the airplane. At the blink of an eye, the other boy abandoned his boxes and went to him.

 

“Hi.”  The new boy greet happily.

 

“Do you want to play with me?” Little Jongsoo asked and the other boy’s face instantly lights up. “I have lots of toys in our house!”

 

“Of course!” The other beams happily. “I have lots of toys too! I have cars and dinosaurs. Do you want to see them?” He asked with a big smile plastered on his face and Jongsoo nods happily.

 

Immediately running to open their gates, Jongsoo walked in the side road carefully, clutching his airplane tightly. Some men are still unloading boxes and several house stuffs and appliances from the big truck to the house. He walks past them with a big smile.

 

“My name is Taeoh.” The other boy said happily. Without hesitation, he grabs Jongsoo’s hands and pulled him slightly. “Daddy, this is my new friend from next door and his name is…”

 

“I’m Jongsoo. Nice to meet you Mister.” Jongsoo bowed lightly that made Taeoh laugh, raising his head Jongsoo saw a tall and lean man, with a sun-kissed skin and black hair standing in front of him, smiling.

 

“Well hello there Jongsoo. How old are you?” Hearing his name from Taeoh’s Daddy makes him smile and feel safe.

 

“I will be 6 years old in June 18!” He said formally again making the older laugh, ruffling his hair. His Dad sat down to and takes a good look at the two boys.

 

“I’m Jong In. Call me Uncle Jong In, okay Jongsoo?” Jong In smiled warmly, “This is Taeoh, same age as you and I’m sure both of you will get along together.” He continued.

 

“Of course! We are best friends now!” Taeoh stated. “Can you put up the blanket there and can we play? Please Daddy? I want Jongsoo to borrow my cars and toys! Especially Batman and Superman!”

 

Jong In laughs, walking under the shade of the tree where Taeoh left his small box. He opened it and let out a blanket, big enough for three people to lie down. Putting it on the ground, Taeoh immediately claps his hands and went to put his toys out of the box.

 

“Why don’t you just play here and Daddy talk to the other guys? Okay. Be a good boy Taeoh!” Jong In patted both of their hands and received just nods because the two are already in their own fun world.

 

On the other side, Kyungsoo placed the last dish for today’s lunch. He placed Fried Chicken, Spaghetti and Rice on the table and a pitcher of Juice to complete the perfection.

 

His son, Jongsoo kept on asking him to cook his favorite food since yesterday and now that Kyungsoo made it, he can’t wait to surprise the younger. Speaking of which, he belatedly realized that the Living Room became awfully quiet.

 

Walking towards their Living Room, he found the toys lying on the carpet but not a sight of his own soon. It takes a second or two before Kyungsoo’s eyes became adorably larger and he looks around.

 

“JONGSOO?” He called, but nothing.

 

Having a glimpse of the door slightly opened, his muttered “OH GODS.” before going out of their house and immediately saw that their gates is open too! Sweats are starting to form and slip down in his face as his heart is beating so fast.

 

“NOOOOOOO! AAAAAHH~” A familiar voice suddenly rang into his ears. Looking at their right, Kyungsoo just realized that the house has been sold and there are still few boxes outside. But what caught his attention is that, under the shade of the tree sits two young boys and one of them is his son.

 

“DO JONGSOO!” He shouts loudly enough to catch their attention, without thinking twice he marched out of his yard and instantly went to the neighbor’s place.

 

“Da-”

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Kyungsoo shouts, pulling the little boy into his arms. “I thought I’d lost you! Never get out of the house and even open the gates without Daddy, okay? God! You made daddy so scared!” He breathes.

 

“I’m sorry Daddy. But, I just want to make new friends.” Jongsoo said as he lets him go and his Dad just noticed the little boy holding a long train toy and looking at him, surprised.

 

“No, it’s fine but promise me that you will ask Daddy first before going out, okay?” Kyungsoo smiled and let his son down. “What’s your name?”

 

“I’m Taeoh!” He noticed that the boy’s name is so warm and makes him smile as well, “I’m 5 years old and I asked Jongsoo to come here so that we can play. I’m sorry if you got mad Mister.”

 

Kyungsoo laughs, “It’s fine. Call me Uncle Kyungsoo, I’m Jongsoo’s Dad by the way.” He smiled and pats the little boy’s head. “Did you move with your parents here?”

 

“YUP! With my Daddy!” Taeoh abruptly stands up, “Let me call him.” He smiled. Kyungsoo thought this boy will run inside of their house, but now. Instead, Taeoh smiled and shouted, “DAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDYYYYYY!”

 

“TAEOH? WHY ARE YOU SHO-” A new voice came from inside the house and Kyungsoo looks to see him but as his eyes met the others, something weird happened to him and made blood rush into his cheeks.

 

Tall. Lean. Sun-kissed skin. Black Haired. Dressed in simple ripped jeans and white shirt. Taeoh’s Dad stands right before him and Kyungsoo can’t help but think nothing but him.

 

“Oh.” The other guy smiled and went closer to them as Kyungsoo gathered his senses and stands up, “You must be Jongsoo’s Dad. I’m Jong In.” He offered his right hand and without hesitation Kyungsoo smiled and took it.

 

“Yeah. Nice to meet you Jong In.” Kyungsoo breathes. Noticing that there’s quite a resemblance between the man standing in front of him and his son. Not to mention, their names have ‘Jong’ too.

 

“We just moved earlier.” Jong In awkwardly started their conversation and Kyungsoo got no idea what to reply.

 

“Do you want to eat with us?” He blurted making the other man look at him, again. Straight in to his eyes, Kyungsoo can’t help but mentally slap himself because he swears that he looks like a freaking tomato right now.

 

He blinks, “I mean, I just prepared our Lunch and it would be great if these two boys will eat together. And you just moved in so, it’s like a welcome party, I guess?” He smiled awkwardly.

 

“YEAH UNCLE JONG IN!” Jongsoo instantly said loudly, “Daddy cooks so good that one bite and you’ll forget your problems!” He praised his Dad making him blush even more and Jong In just laugh.

 

“Well, if Taeoh wants too then it’s fine with me.” He said looking down at his son who got the biggest and happiest smile plastered on his face. Without thinking twice, Taeoh grab his hand.

 

“Let’s go then.” Kyungsoo smiled and went back to their house. The two little kids look at each other and smiled.

 

End of Flashback

 

 

Do Kyungsoo works in Chillin’ Cool Café six blocks away from his house. He started working there since May, as a part time job and helper. Sometimes, he left his close friends watch over his son or he’ll leave Jongsoo in the kid’s care-taker downtown. He is working with his best friend Baekhyun and they became closer to the owner, Ryeowook.

 

It’s one of those day when Kyungsoo dropped Jongsoo in their school sharp 8 o’clock in the morning and he then proceed to his work. He usual go to work by riding his bike or walking, but since he got Jongsoo going to school, he managed to get some money and buy a car.

 

“Ryeowook Hyung! Can I have my previous schedule again?” Kyungsoo smiled as the owner of the Café helps him wipe the tables. Thankfully, after Lunch the place is not packed anymore. Only few people are inside, plus the workers.

 

“Monday to Friday, 8:30AM to 11AM?” Ryeowook asked and earned a firm nod from the other guy. “Sure, I guess Jongsoo is back on his school?” The owner questioned.

 

“Yeah. I have to drive and pick him up at the right time. But no worries, I’ll make it up to you sometimes during his break.” Kyungsoo smiled and went to grab the tray full of plates.

 

Before he left, Ryeowook patted his back, “What are you saying? Nonsense! I’ll change your schedule later. You have to remember that you have to stay with your son during his growth.” And before the younger could argue, he walked past him.

 

Kyungsoo works Monday to Friday, yet sometimes showing up in Saturday and Sunday morning. While his son is at school, he works hard to earn money for both of them. He works extra (if he needed to, or just to relieve stress) in Saturday and Sunday; 9AM until 2-3PM. He entrust his son to a baby care-taker named Jaehyun, downtown or call him in his house and pays him at decent amount.

 

In the café, they’re served smoothies, frappes, coffee and even soda or water and their specials are always cakes, cupcakes, brownies, pasta and breads. Believe it or not, Kyungsoo is important here because he’s the one baking and cooking all those lovely foods!

 

“Kyungsoo and Baekhyun you should take your break for now.” Yuri, one of the workers called their attention. Baekhyun who were busy arranging the chairs just gave her a smile.

 

“Thank you Yuri!” Kyungsoo said, grabbing the last dirty plates. In the back room, the place only for workers to eat and rest while they are taking their break. Soon, Baehyun followed and sat opposite to him.

 

“So, any process with your hot daddy?” Baekhyun suddenly blurted, making Kyungsoo choke his own food. Wiping his mouth with a tissue, he then tossed it to the other.

 

“What the ?” He hissed, “What? I am just asking you nicely about you and Jong In!” He smiled.

 

Shaking his head, Kyungsoo began eating. “We are just neighbors- just friends and nothing more Baekhyun.” He said, “It’s not like Jong In’s gay or something and I’m definitely not gaaaaay.”

 

“So, having his own picture in your phone is not gay?” He raised an eyebrow, “What can of logic is that?”

 

“Maybe Kyunggie here is just in denial mode.” A lovely voice came inside of the room and greets them, “Hi guys, what’s up?”

 

“You’re right Noona!” Baekhyun said, scooting over to let Yoona, another worker sit next to him. “Kyungsoo is still in denial mode.”

 

She nods, “Gay or not, it’s still love Kyungsoo. Who knows, what if that Jong In guy secretly likes you too? I mean, he always take care at and look after Jongsoo so you must be special for him.”

 

“And besides, you need to have someone beside you Kyungsoo. We’re growing old and Jongsoo is getting older!” Baekhyun said thoughtfully, “I don’t want you to be alone with white hair taking care of your son and I-”

 

“You know what, I’m done.” Kyungsoo cleaned his place fastly and grabbing his own bottled water then proceeding out at the back exit.

 

He sighed loudly. “They’re insane.” He mumbled, looking at the bright sky and wondering if his friends are right. But at the back of his mind, Kyungsoo knows the best.

 

“I can handle my life at my own.” He said to himself.

 

 

 

 

When the clock hit 11 o’clock, Kyungsoo bid goodbye to his friends in the Café, ignoring the fact that Baekhyun and Yoona are looking at him worriedly. He parked his car in front of Jongsoo’s school, waiting for the bell to ring.

 

Soon, kids are going out of the school, meeting or waiting for their own respective parents. There, he spots Jongsoo walking out while clutching his own backpack and beside him, is Taeoh smiling widely.

 

“Hi Uncle Kyungsoo!” He waved.

 

“Hi Taeoh! I never thought you’re going to the same school as Jongsoo.” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

“Taeoh insisted.” Another familiar voice came and Jong In stands next to Kyungsoo, “He said both of them are best friends that’s why they have to be together, always.”

 

“Well, that’s nice!” Kyungsoo laughed as Jongsoo came into his side, “Daddy, can we eat now?”

 

Kyungsoo grabbed both of his arms and carried him gently, “I didn’t cook because I just got off from work. Do you want to eat outside?” He asked as the younger just nods.

 

“Great! I know a great place.” Jong In smiled, holding Taeoh’s hand. “You work in Chillin’ Cool Café, right Hyung? I want to eat there since Jongsoo said you cook there!”

 

Kyungsoo laughs, “Not really, I also serve and clean. It’s not a big deal, we can go to some places.” He said because he definitely doesn’t want his workers to see him and Jong In together or they won’t stop bothering and teasing him.

 

“I want to Daddy. Please?” Jongsoo pouts, working his cuteness that Kyungsoo can and will never resist. Sighing, he nods and bid goodbye to Jong In saying that they’ll just see each other there.

 

Both kids bid goodbye to one another like it’s the end of the word as Taeoh keeps on waving his hand even if Kyungsoo stared the engine and left. Jongsoo is silently sitting in the side.

 

“How was your first day baby?” He asked.

 

“It was awesome! I get to meet new friends and I’m sitting next to Taeoh.” Jongsoo said excitedly, “Then the teacher called me to read some words and she said I’m good.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled. Ever since Jongsoo is just a baby, he started reading in front of the kid and soon taught him to read and write. He can see that this boy is intelligent and will surely have a brighter future.

 

 

 

 

“JONGSOOOOOOOO!” Yuri called when they first saw Kyungsoo and the boy entering the Café. The place is pack again yet he is thankful that his favorite spot is not yet taken.

 

He watched as the little boy run towards her, as he just places his bag into the table and went to the counter. “What will your order be, little man?” Yuri asked, smiling towards him.

 

“Later Noona. I have to wait for my best friend and we’ll order together.” Jongsoo said politely, making Yuri squeal because Jongsoo is such a ball of cheese.

 

Kyungsoo noticed that it’s been almost 5 minutes since they arrived but still no sign of Jong In. They made their way back to their table but were surprised when Baekhyun and Yoona are sitting there.

 

“Hello Uncle Baekhyun and Yoona Noona.” He said, greeting both of them with a smile as Yoona suddenly pushed the other male and went to make him sit on her lap.

 

“Jongsoo, I told you to call me Baekhyun Hyung.” He pouts but was ignored because Yoona is busy tickling the little boy. Kyungsoo could only sighed and went to sit next to his friend.

 

“What did you order?” Baekhyun asked but he just shook his head, “Wait, are you guys waiting for someone or-”

 

As soon as Baekhyun said that, he momentarily stopped and looked up only to see a familiar tanned man walking towards to their tables. Yoona looks up and gasped, “Is that the Jong In guy? Kyungsoo never told me that this Jong In guy is so handsome!”

 

“Ohhhhhhhhhhh.” Baekhyun made a super smiley face that Kyungsoo just want to punch him away. Both workers stand at the side, Jongsoo still in Yoona’s arm.

 

“Hi Hyung, sorry for making you wait. Taeoh forgot his water bottle in school so we have to go back.” Jong In smiled, placing his son’s bag next to Jongsoo.

 

“No, it’s fine.” Kyungsoo smiled, “Yoona, can you watch these kids? Me and Jong In will just take our orders.” He asked as the lady nods.

 

“They look good together.” She mumbled as Baekhyun laughs, agreeing with her. They watched as the two male went towards the counter where Yuri stands, smiling from ear to ear and greeting them loudly.

 

“Hi Noona. I’m Taeoh and I’m Jongsoo’s best friend!” Taeoh said, greeting the new person warmly as the older settle Jongsoo back to the ground.

 

Smiling, she could see that this boy Taeoh, indeed got some features of Jong In. Letting Jongsoo go in his arms, the two little boys settled in the chairs as Baekhyun and Yoona talk to them again.

 

In the meantime, Yuri showed the menus to Jong In as the latter is still thinking what he and Taeoh wants to order. Kyungsoo settled his order first; one spaghetti and carbonara with 3 pieces of fried chicken, 2 cupcakes for the boys and one water and milk.

 

“Hyung, you cook some of these earlier?” Jong In suddenly asked, pointing out the special menus for the day. Indeeed, Kyungsoo cook some of it with the help of Ryeowook.

 

But before he could answer, Yuri smiles widely even more. “Yes! Our Kyunggie is such a talented man with a heart of gold. He’s so nice and I bet everyone like-”

 

“ANYWAYS, what’s your order Jong In?” He cut the older, sending a death glare to the female. He grabbed the menu and look closely, “I recommend you trying the spaghetti or this pasta, and our fried chicken is the best or this bread.”

 

“Okay.” Jong In nods, “I order everything he said, plus glass of water and a milk too.” He said, in the corner of his eyes he saw Kyungsoo pulling out his wallet but in defense, he pulled his car quickly.

 

“Here.” He smiled and handed the card to Yuri who instantly took it.

 

“Jong In let me-”

 

“No Hyung, I got this.”

 

“But I ordered some to-”

 

“It’s my treat for you.”

 

“But I-”

 

“Hyung, just let me pay and-”

 

“You two sound like a married couple.” Yuri blurted. “Are you sure both of you are just friends?” She raised an eyebrow making the two of them blush real hard. Sliding the card, she handed it back to Jong In whose head is redder than any tomato.

 

“T-thank you. I’ll wait in the table.” Kyungsoo said, sending last glance to the older than clearly says, “I will ing kill you Noona.”

 

Being left in the counter, Jong In smiled awkwardly and waits for the receipt to be printed. “We will just call your name or Kyungsoo’s when your order is ready. Thank you.” Yuri smiled.

 

Making his way back to their table, Jong In saw that Kyungsoo is beating Baekhyun and Yoona is just laughing. He smiled awkwardly and stands right there.

 

“Okay, we’ll leave the two love birds alone.” Yoona sing-song smiling as she pushes Jong In lightly towards the table.

 

The table got four chairs, Kyungsoo sat beside Jongsoo and in front of the little boy is Taeoh, sitting next to his Dad.

 

“So how was your day?” Jong In looks at the two boys.

 

“The teacher told us to introduce ourselves and meet new friends.” Taeoh said.

 

“And she let us play around!” Jongsoo exclaimed.

 

In the next few minute, Yuri called Kyungsoo and Jong In’s name telling them that their order is ready. Their table is packed with foods that made the two little boy’s mouth waters in joy. After washing their hands, they all proceed in eating their own foods.

 

Kyungsoo can’t help but admire Jong In for he is helping the two boys mixed their respective spaghetti together. Also happy because Jong In has time to even wipe the dirt in Jongsoo’s mouth.

 

It’s a miracle that they all finished the foods they ordered and its almost quarter to 2PM. And went straight to go home.

 

“Bye Jongsoo and Hyung! See you later.” Jong In smiled then started the engine but let the older man drive ahead of him.

 

In the back of his mind, sometimes Kyungsoo wonders if Baekhyun, Yoona and Yuri are right about him having someone to grow old with.

 

---

 

Erva's Notes:

Hello everyone! After the successful (?) ending of HJ&HM, I am back again to spread the word of KaiSoo. If you are following me in twitter, you basically know how trash I am for these two people and for EXO and SM Rookies as well. So here I am! AGAIN, English is not my first language and I need a Beta Reader. I hope you found the first Chapter good, great, interesting, beautiful, cute or whatever. There's more to come! (Just please don't forget; I update once a decade.)

 

Thank you and have an awesome day KaiSoo Shippers! See you soon! 

 

Talk to me on Twitter!

@kaiality | @eroshansol | @uptenwooseok