Episode Two

Fervently

The chrome steel gate automatically opened as the jet black BMW arrived at the front gate of Hwang Mansion. The vehicle was carefully driven on the black tarmac in the hands of the young chauffeur. Then the luxury car braked at the front of the mansion main entrance. The chauffeur walked out from his driver seat and opened the right back door. Sunggyu and Hyuk went out from the car, waiting for the heiress to walk out from the vehicle. As Tiffany went out from the car, the three gentlemen bowed respectfully at her. She lets out a quiet sigh as she glanced at the peaceful mansion. She slowly, step by step, walking towards the marble stairs followed by her faithful bodyguards.Tiffany glanced at Hyuk as they reached the front door. The latter understands it and he opened the beautifully carved white mahogany door and they entered the mansion.

 

           Tiffany and her bodyguards walked across the living room and walked up the stairs and then arrived at Mr.Hwang’s room door. Tiffany placed her hand on the silver handle and before she forgot, she whispered to Sunggyu to place her shopping items into her room. They nodded to her will and they made a promise with her that they will take care of it. After that, they went away to carry out the issued order from their mistress. Tiffany slowly pressed the silver handle down and pushed the door open. Tiffany’s dad was staring at her sternly as she walked towards him who was sitting on the black leather couch. A cup of Mr. Hwang’s favourite coffee brew was on the glass table. The sweet smell of the non-caffeine drink could be sniffed by Tiffany from her proximity.

 

“Sit down, Stephanie.” He ordered.

 

           The younger Hwang placed her bum onto the leather and placed her pink designer label handbag at her side. Mr. Hwang took a small sip of the sweet scented coffee.

 

“Hmm…the taste of the roasted coffee beans and the aroma blends in perfectly.” Mr. Hwang expressed the taste of the coffee in his mouth. He then turned his focus to his daughter.

 

“Now, explain why you came back home so ‘early’?” His question was breathed with sarcasm. He placed the cup back to the platter.

 

“I met my friends… that’s all.”She said.

 

“Tell me the real truth Stephanie.”Mr. Hwang already sensed that she was lying.

 

“I’ve did some shopping, like, a lot of shopping.”She blurted out.

 

“Wasting money again. Just like your mother.” He rolled his eyes to the window.

 

“Daddy!” She responded to her father’s remarks with a dishearten stare.

 

“Whatever, I have more important matters to deal with you.”He replied coldly.

 

           Tiffany just stared at him disappointedly for his cold behavior and no remorse for his own remarks.

 

“Have you found the suitable candidate as your husband?” Mr. Hwang asked his daughter and he intertwined his fingers together.

 

           Tiffany was clearly surprised when her father brought up that issue from a conversation between them last year. She herself has forgotten about it long ago. Tiffany stared blankly at him and thought for a suitable answer to that inquiry.

 

“So?”Mr. Hwang asked her again.

 

“I haven’t found one… I… don’t want to marry yet…”She remarked. It made the older Hwang sighed in disappointment.

 

“Stephanie, you’re 26 this year. You should have been married right now! "He told her.

 

“I’m fully aware of my age daddy. I just…felt it’s not the right time for me to marry yet. "The younger Hwang replied back. Mr. Hwang glanced at her with a disappointed expression.

 

“Do you know why, I want you to get married?”He mouthed.

 

“I don’t really remember…”She lied. His words were still fresh in her mind like it was yesterday that he said it.

 

“I want you, Stephanie, to be more responsible and take the responsibility to manage this mega company of mine and manage it with your husband. “He blurted out his thoughts that were kept for too long in his mind.

 

“But you’re still here… you can manage it…”She said.

 

“I know that I’m still here! I want to prepare for it a bit earlier before I’m gone! Is that hard to ask?!”Mr. Hwang shouted.

 

           Tiffany jerked a little on the leather sofa when Mr. Hwang shouted. She didn’t utter any word. Mr. Hwang coughed a little. He took a sip of the coffee to soothe his sore throat after he shouted.

 

“Mr. Sunggyu, please enter.” He called one of Tiffany’s bodyguards into the room.

 

           Sunggyu spontaneously entered the room, with a white envelope in his hands. Tiffany looked at him confusedly. Sunggyu glanced a little at his mistress and smiled at her, it’s his obvious routine. He went to Mr.Hwang and handed the envelope to him.

 

“Here it is Mr. Hwang” He said.

 

           Mr. Hwang opened the envelope and inspected a small note that was inside with a few photographs slipped in there.

 

“Good work. Now leave." He ordered.

 

“Yes sir.”Sunggyu bowed respectfully and walked away to the door.

 

           Tiffany looked at him blankly. Probably she was confused and want some answers, Sunggyu thought. He stopped at the heiress and smiled.

 

“Sunggyu, what is that?”She asked.

 

“Something.”He grinned. Still keeping things secret from her, like he always does.

 

“Aww… come on tell me.”She pouted but Sunggyu just smiled. He walked to the door and grabbed the silver door handle.

 

“But I can tell you something Miss Tiffany, we have done your request.”He said and walked out from the room.

 

“Aish, this Gyu. Keeping secrets from me.”Tiffany can only murmur and pouts her lips about it.

 

           Tiffany stared from her place, curious about the contents in the white envelope. She was determined to have knowledge about it.

 

“Daddy, what is in there?”The girl asked.

 

“See for yourself, Stephanie.” Mr. Hwang replied bluntly and placed the envelope closer to her.

 

           Tiffany picked up the item and opened the envelope to see the contents inside of it. It was some photograph of a person. But after further inspection, Tiffany’s eyes widened, she was flabbergasted. She knew who’s in this photo, and she knew him almost too well. It’s the most annoying person in her whole life history.

 

“Yongguk…”She breathed out that name and clenched her teeth.

 

“What the…what the hell is this?!”She stood up and angrily threw the photo and it fell to the floor.

 

“What’s wrong Stephanie?”Mr. Hwang was surprised for her sudden actions.

 

“Why, is this… guy… is in the freaking envelope…?”She growled.

 

           Mr. Hwang took a sip of the cold coffee. To his disenchant, it does not taste sweet as when it was still hot and it left a bitter taste on his tongue.

 

“He’s my choice candidate as your husband.” He answered.

 

(play and quickly read)                   

 

“What?!!” Tiffany hissed and thumped her fist onto the glass table with a scowl on her face.

 

”Why him?! I hate that guy from highschool until now!”

 

“Why can’t it be him?! Like it or not, it’s my choice for you. I picked him as your husband!" He shouted back at his daughter.

 

“For what, business?! Do you think I’m a slave to be traded daddy?! A person who are an exchange for something?!”She flared her nostrils in disgust. Mr. Hwang’s eyes widened in anger as he stood up.

 

“I’m not a little kid anymore! I make my own choice now and my life is not in your hands to be arranged!”

 

“You disgraceful daughter! How dare you defy your own father?!”

 

“Shut the hell up daddy!" She shouted.

 

“Stephanie Miyoung Hwang!” He was enraged.

 

A loud smack echoed in the room. Her father had just slapped her without hesitation.

 

           Tiffany gasped, shocked that the person who was her own father, slapped her in the face today for the first time. She placed her hand at the place where she was slapped. Tears filled her eyes because of the sensation of pain across the area.

 

“I’ve always held myself for the most of the times, but now, you… Stephanie…you…really…”He grunted. Tiffany kept her composure, trying to not shed a tear.

 

“You’re just as same like your long dead mother!" He blurted loudly. Upon hearing those words, tears rolled down her cheeks.

 

“Why do you have to drag mother in every situation that revolves around me?!”Tiffany asked in a forlorn demeanor.

 

“Because you’re just as same as her! I’ve told her before; we should just left you out in the cold. But she wouldn’t listen, but she kept on insisting to keep you. Now, look what happened to her? Both of you won’t ever listen to me!”

 

“Daddy STOP!!!" Tiffany shouted loudly. Tears were rolling on her cheeks continuously.

 

“It is the truth isn’t it?!”

 

“Don’t drag mother into this!" Tiffany screamed in tears.

 

           Mr. Hwang just stood there, didn’t utter any phrases as his daughter cried in a sorrowful demeanor. He wanted to coax her daughter, but ego gets the better of him.

 

“I don’t know why I should waste my time about this…”Tiffany lifted her pink handbag from the black leather sofa and walked to the door, wiping off the tears on her cheeks.

 

           Mr. Hwang just grunted and crossed his arms as his daughter left the room.

 

***

 

           L lifts himself up and wiped the tears that were on his cheeks. His eyes were swollen red and he felt that his ankle was sprained. But the pain was not as same as his broken heart. His hope and dreams were shattered into a million pieces. His Yoona, his darling, his sweetheart, his love left him only sorrow and tears. After all these years loving her all his heart, she was gone by the wind in mere moments of his life.

 

           His smartphone, the blue smartphone. How can he forgot that he have one? He mentally curses himself. He quickly pulled out the smartphone out from his pocket and dialed Yoona’s number. After waiting for the painstakingly long beeping sound to end, the only voice that awaits him was only the pre-recorded message of the female operator. It made him feeling bitter.

 

“…please leave a message after the sound *beep*”

 

“Hello…Yoona…”He paused for a moment, wiping the tears off his eyelids.

 

“…I know that you’re just making things up. I’m sure you have an explanation for it…we…we’ll talk about this later okay? Bye…”He ended the call.

 

           He walked away from that place. L trudged out to the main entrance with his broken heart and his solemn expression. He walked to his motorcycle and started the engine. He gazed at the sky, it was getting dark and probably it will rain soon. He better get home now, he wouldn’t probably find Yoona now. Maybe next time, he wished in silence. He picked up his helmet and inserted his head into the helmet.

 

Then suddenly his phone rang.”Cause you’re my Destiny. (Ooh Ooh Ooh) Nal dugo doraseojima…”

 

           The blue smartphone vibrated in his pocket. He quickly pulled out the gadget and unlocked the screen. It was a call from his friend. He pulled off his helmet to answer the call.

 

“Hello”L started the conversation.

 

“Hey bro, where are you?”The person asked.

 

“I’m at the…park… why?”

 

“We just want to meet you, at the place where all of us always hangout.”

 

“Oh sure… I’ll be there in a jiffy." He said.

 

“Hey L, are you sick or what? Why is your voice sounds strange? "The person asked. L didn’t utter any word.

 

“Emm, you know what? Just drive your way to here and we’ll talk about it okay?”

 

“Okay... Bye.”L ended the call.

 

           Well, at least I have something to do other than crying myself at home, he thought to himself. He wore back the full-faced helmet on his head. With a push of the handle, the motorcycle glided through the streets of Seoul. After a few minutes driving the motorcycle through the streets, he arrived at a bar which a purple neon signboard says Saints Club was hanging in front of the premise. He entered the premise and saw there were not many people were there.

 

“Maybe a few hours later this bar will be crowded with people. Besides, it’s a famous bar for its reputation for the unique taste of its special cocktail, Saints." He thought.

 

           L glanced around, searching for his fellow friends but they found him first.

 

“Hey Myungsoo, over here!" Shouted Sungjong.

 

           L went to them. Upon arriving, Sungyeol pulled out a chair from him to sit. With a small thanks said, L sat on the cushioned chair.

 

“Dude, you sound awfully different than the norm when I called you. What happened to you man?”Sungyeol asked.

 

“It’s…nothing guys…”

 

“Hey, come on man, tell us about it. It’s just us.”SungJong persuaded.

 

“Alright… I…”L told them the whole story about what have happened sorrowfully that it made him cried his tears.

 

           L cried when he told them about his forced break up with Yoona with unknown reasons about the ordeal. He wiped the tears that were on his cheeks. Sungyeol and SungJong felt pity for their close friend and shared his sadness

 

“It’s going to be alright. It’s okay L.”Sungyeol slowly patted L’s back a few times.

 

“We understand you man. Now, just keep calm and relax alright?” Sungjong advised. He went to bartender, ordering a bottle of whiskey.

 

“I don’t know what I’m going to do now…”L mouthed.

 

“Just live on with your life L, that’s all what counts now. Don’t forget, there are so many girls in this whole world. Never lose hope L, there must be someone else that will be the catalyst of your life. Even if it’s not the same like her.”Sungyeol said to L.

 

           SungJong came back from the bartender with a bottle of whiskey and three small glasses in between his fingers. He opened the bottle and poured a little of the alcoholic drink into the glasses.

 

“It’ll be alright for our friend L; he can endure this challenge and start a new life better than before!”SungJong cheered to brighten up the mood.

 

“Here you go.”SungJong passed the glasses to L and Sungyeol.

 

“For L’s new life!”SungJong and Sungyeol cheered as they clink their glasses together and they slowly drink their whiskey.

 

           At that time, a familiar person was entering the bar with her pink designer label handbag. She sat on a stool at the bar and ordered a glass of wine from the bartender. She looked gloomy and depressed, and something was messing up her mind. The bartender passed her a glass of wine as she ordered and he continued wiping the wine glasses at his place.

 

“…why do all these things happened to me… I’m sick of it, I had enough with it…”She gulped all of the liquid in one shot. It made her felt a little peace in her mind but not entirely helping her dealing with the problems that she face.

 

“Why do have to be forced to marry… someone that I didn’t love…? He was a prick since highschool…and now, he’s my will-be-husband? What the f*** is wrong with that old man’s mind.”She ordered another glass from the bartender and he passed another glass of wine.

 

           Tiffany turned the liquid inside the glass around and around, staring blankly at the swift movement that it made. She slowly sipped another glass of wine into her body. It made her feel dizzy a little.

 

“…that stupid old man… he thinks…that he can control my life… f*** him to the graves. I control my own… destiny…”She had the hiccups for a few times.

 

           Surely she doesn’t have a high tolerance for alcohol. In a few more glass, she will definitely faint.

 

“How… hicks… how dare he recalled… hick… those things about my late mother….how dare he… that bastard…!”She almost screamed.

 

           Tiffany felt alone the feel of sorrow lingers around her. She began crying, she felt miserable for herself. She wished that someone, just someone, will come to her and help her in dealing with her problems. She felt even more dizzy that before. Then Tiffany slowly walked away from the bar, searching for a seat and rest herself there. On the way to the place, the latter passed the seat where L was sitting. She accidentally bumped with L who was completely bewildered of her sudden action.

 

“…sorry…”Tiffany said as she walked away, half drunk.

 

           L didn’t reply anything but he just looked at the girl. It remembered him to someone, someone that he dearly knew. Tiffany sat on the cushioned sofa, she cried slowly about her miserable life and the problems that she has to face.

 

***

 

"Hey L, it’s getting late now, are you sure you want to stay?"SungJong asked.

 

The latter was a little drunk from all of the beverages he consumed. Except for Sungyeol, he drinks the least between them.

 

"...yyeah… you two go first… I wanna stay here for a little while..."L said, half drunk but still can think properly.

 

"Okay, be safe when you get home."Sungyeol told L. The latter just nodded.

 

              The two of them bid L goodnight and goodbye and they walked out the bar. L grabbed the whiskey bottle and he turned it around. There was no more liquor in it. He grunted.

 

             Then, Tiffany suddenly stood up and walked to the bar’s back exit door, L looked at her from his seat as she did. He saw that she was placing her hand on . He slowly followed her outside the bar. Upon his foot reached outside the premise, he saw that the girl was bending on her knees, spewing out anything that was in her stomach at a nearby unclosed drain. L slowly went to her and rubbed her back, helping her discharging any more vomits in her body.

 

"There, there. Easy does it." He said as he rubbed.

 

Tiffany finally stopped vomiting and she wiped with her hands. Tiffany slowly stood up on her two feet.

 

"Are you okay?" L asked, waiting for her answer.

 

Tiffany suddenly embraced L and pushed her face onto his chest. L was genuinely surprised of her sudden actions. Tiffany started crying again. Tears just came out from her swollen red eyes rather than a phrase to answer his question.

 

“Why, is the world is being so cruel with me…! Why…?! Why?! Why do I have to face all of these?!”She cried sorrowfully.

 

               Myungsoo on the other hand felt awkward as someone he doesn’t know suddenly hugged him, but the feeling changed when she started crying. He wrapped his arm around her back and he gently her hair with his other hand.

 

“What’s wrong…? Tell me…”He asked.

 

“*sobs* I was forced to marry the person I hate… I missed my late mother… my dad is such a devil, *sobs* forcing me to marry with that prick… *wheeze**sobs* and how dare he talk about mother… in such a disrespectful way...*sobs* *cries*”

 

               L was filled with compassion for this unknown girl that he just met. He felt terribly sorry for her. He was sad that he can’t help with anything. But he might do something. He slowly lifted Tiffany’s face and ogled at her. Tears were trailing down on her puffy cheeks. He slowly wiped it with his thumb. He cracked a little smile for her. Then he did something that was out from his conscious mind, he gently planted his lips onto her lips. At first, she was surprised because of the sudden kiss but she gave in to it. She slowly closed her eyes when the sensation filled her. She got what she wished, she thanked Him. She felt safe in his arms, cuddling her into tranquil. It’s just the kiss that she really needs now.

 

***

 

               Meanwhile, at the Incheon International Airport, Yoona was seen pulling her wheeled baggage through the departure terminal. She took a quick peek at her ticket. It’s a flight to the United States. She sighed on the thoughts that she will be far away from her homeland and especially L. She pulled out her smartphone to send L the last messages before leaving him. But on the notification, there was a voicemail from L. She placed the thin smartphone on her ear.

 

“Hello…Yoona…”

 

“…I know that you’re just making things up. I’m sure you have an explanation for it…we…we’ll talk about this later okay? Bye…” Tears filled her eyes as she thought about his last words.

 

“There will be no ‘later’ L… I won’t be coming back soon…I’m sorry…” A drop of tear fell out on her cheeks.

 

“I should call him for the last time…”She thought.

 

           She dialed his number for a few times but never once L picked up the call. It made her more dishearten and sad. She decided to leave him a voicemail instead like he did.

 

“L … just forget about me and don't find me. Please. ” Tears flowed out from her eyes.

 

“We’re not destined to be together.  Go find a better girl than me… and be happy with her.”

 

“Goodbye L…thanks for the memories…”She ended the call.

 

“Passengers of flight PG832 please proceed to the departure gate.” The speakers echoed.

 

               It’s her flight to the USA. Yoona wiped her tears and she pulled her wheeled baggage to the said location.

 

“…Goodbye…Myungsoo…”

 

***

 

“I don’t care, just find her! That’s all I want to know!”Mr. Hwang angrily ended the call. He breathed deeply and calmed himself.

 

               He took a quick look at the family portraits of him and his beautiful wife and then a portrait of Tiffany and him. He took the portrait of him and Tiffany and he gazed at his beautiful daughter in the photograph.

 

“Where have you gone Tiffany..? Don’t just leave this old man here.”

 

“I’m so sorry for what happened between us recently…and I’m sorry for saying things about your mother…I was so stressed with work that I let it out to you…I’m so sorry darling…” He said.

 

               He placed the portrait back to its original place. He then dialed a number, and that number is his will be son-in-law.

 

“Hello” The caller on the other side answered.

 

“Hey, it’s me Yongguk; could you help me with something?” Mr. Hwang said.

 

“Sure. What is it?”

 

“Could you help me find Tiffany?”

 

“Why? What happened to her?”Yongguk asked.

 

“It’s just… nothing serious, she just ran away from home after a family feud.”

 

“Ohh… alright then, I’ll dispatch my mens around Seoul in the search for her.”Yongguk replied.

 

“Right. Thank you.”

 

“Sure, no problem Mr.Hwang.” Yongguk ended the call.

 

“Sigh… I just hope you will come back home Tiffany…”

 

***

 

               The motorcycle slowly brakes as it arrived at the apartment parking lot. Myungsoo stopped the engine and pulled out the key from the key slot. He moved Tiffany’s arm that was locked around his waist.

 

“Hey… wake up. We've arrived now.” L said. Tiffany replied with an audible moan.

 

               L slowly lifted her up from the motorcycle seat and she automatically wrapped her arms around him.

 

“Hey…come on. Cut me some slack will you? Don’t be so clingy.”

 

“I’m sorry oppa… I’m a bad girl…”She said half consciously. L slowly sighed.

 

               L locked the motorcycle making it safe from being stolen. After that he then crouched and called for her.

 

“Yess...oppaa...”

 

“Come on, I’ll lift you up to my apartment. Cling onto my back.”

 

“Ok…”She said. Tiffany then slowly hugged the crouching Myungsoo from behind and he slowly rise up.

 

“Hold onto me tightly.”He ordered. He could feel that she had listened perfectly to his simple orders. L started walking towards the lobby with Tiffany clinging on his back.

 

“Oppa…you’re so strong…Tiffany likes it…” She kissed L on the cheeks.

 

“Oh god…you’re so drunk right now… I can already smell the wine...”

 

“Don’t you… like it…?”Tiffany asked him in a y voice tone. L didn’t utter a word and kept on walking.

 

               They entered the elevator and L pressed the button floor twelve and the elevator slowly closed the door and it moves up. The elevator stopped moving upwards and stopped at floor twelve. The door was automatically opened and they walked out to his house.

 

               L entered his password code onto the digital touchscreen panel and the door lock was opened. He entered his house with Tiffany dangling over his shoulders. He took a quick glance at the digital wall clock. It was already two hours past midnight. L carried Tiffany into his room and he gently placed her onto his comfy bed.

 

“Oppa…I feel so uncomfortable… could you please remove my jacket? I’m sweating.”Tiffany asked for his help.

 

               L just followed to her orders and removed her jacket that was giving her warmth before. Leaving Tiffany only in her T-shirt.

 

“Thank you…”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

               As L turned his back she caught his arm, stopping him from going away from her. Myungsoo turned his back and changed the focus towards her.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Don’t you…wanna join me…? There’s more space here…  I wouldn’t mind sharing…”Tiffany asked in the same y voice tone as before.

 

                She stared at him with those gorgeous and lustful eyes. L gulped. But he kept his composure. Myungsoo quickly removes her hand from his arm. Tiffany looked at him disappointedly. L then pulled the blankets over her, covering her from her toes to her body.

 

“Goodnight.” He bid.

 

“Goodnight oppa…”She replied and L closed the door.

 

               He walked to his living room and placed himself onto the couch. He took a small pillow and tucked it under his head and uses his jacket at his blanket. After a few minutes L dozed exhaustedly.

 

               In his sleep, he dreamed of her Yoona, who has left him. He dreamed about their past memories, going on a date at the park, a romantic dinner and watching the movies together. It was good memories for him. He smiled in his sleep unconsciously.

 

***

 

    Tiffany slowly opened her eyes and lifted up her body up from the comfy bed in the dark.

 

“Argh…my head…so dizzy…”She placed her hand onto her head.

 

“Uhh…I need to go to the bathroom…” She lifted herself up from the bed. She was still unaware of her new surroundings.

 

               She walked out the room to search for a bathroom and by luck she found it. Tiffany turned the light switch on and then she closed the doors after she had entered. L on the other hand was woken up by his smartphone alarm. He dizzily searched for his smartphone and it was buzzing on the table. He reached his hand for it and then unlocked the smartphone and muted the alarm. L suddenly felt the urge to go to the bathroom. He pulled himself together and slowly walked to the bathroom door. Without his knowledge, someone was in the bathroom before him and unlocked the door open. Tiffany walked out the bathroom and she panned to her right side. She met her eyes with L and she was shocked far from words.

 

The two of them screamed loudly in surprise.


TO BE CONTINUED