The Start of Something New

Like Honey

Kyungil stood outside of the café with his hands in his pockets. Was he shivering from the cold? Or was he just trembling from the overwhelming stress of hanging out with the world’s cutest boy? At this point it was hard to tell.

He was supposed to have been going to work today. His boss had requested that he come in for a few hours to help out with some leftover projects, but after seeing Yijeong’s face he just couldn’t bring himself to go. He made up some bull excuse that he was sick and wallowed around his apartment before wandering back to the café to wait for Yijeong. After all, he had promised not to be late.

But the truth was that he was sick. Maybe not physically sick, but he definitely felt sick. True, he wasn’t coughing or sneezing but he had this heavy feeling in his heart he just couldn’t shake. He felt like he had 1000lbs of chains weighing him down, but at the same time he felt like he could fly.

Maybe it was love. Maybe it was a hangover. Kyungil hoped to God he was hungover at this point. There was no way he was this messed up over some guy he had barely even known for 24 hours. What he really needed was to get his mind off of it all.

Kyungil plopped down onto a nearby bench and closed his eyes. Maybe if he sat here long enough God would decide he had suffered enough and zap him up the heaven. Or hell. Who cares?

After about 5 minutes of wallowing in self-pity, Kyungil felt a weight next to him on the bench. He didn’t think much of it until he felt the pain of a bony elbow in his side.

“Ah, who the FU-” he erupted, ready to rip the head of whoever had decided to elbow him clean off their shoulders. “Oh.”

That’s all he could say. Oh.

“Hi.” Yijeong chuckled, clutching a coffee cup in his hands. “I brought this for you. It’s hot chocolate. I figured you’d be cold out here waiting for me.”

Yijeong handed the cup over to Kyungil, forcing the elder to sit up properly to receive it.

“Thanks.” Kyungil smirked. “But did you really have to elbow me in the ribs? A simple hello would’ve sufficed.”

Yijeong smiled softly and looked down at the ground. “I was just trying to get your attention. I’m sorry.”

“Nah, don’t be sorry.” Kyungil nudged the younger softly. “I’m not mad. You should be mad at me for embarrassing myself in front of all of your co-workers.”

Yijeong laughed heartily. “They weren’t really worried about you anyway.” He put his hand on the elder’s kneecap. “Besides, I thought it was cute.”

Kyungil blushed deeply. He’d definitely blushed more in the past 24 hours than he had in all of his 28 years of life.

“So!” Yijeong clapped. “You said we were gonna hang out. Where are we going?”

“I know this place.” Kyungil stood up, gesturing to Yijeong to follow him. “Let’s go.”

Yijeong followed behind Kyungil as fast as he could until they finally came to a stop.

“You shouldn’t walk so fast.” Yijeong huffed. “It’s so hard to keep up with you.”

Kyungil chortled. “Yeah, I guess it must be hard keeping up with those stubby little legs.”

“Shut up, not everyone’s a giant like you.” Yijeong pouted, crossing his arms. God, he’s so cute when he does that.

“Anyway.” Kyungil gestured at the building they’d stopped in front of. “This is it.”

It was a small little bar. A swanky little place, the kind of place college students hang out at. Nothing special, but not exactly a hole in the wall.

“A bar?” Yijeong asked, looking up at Kyungil quizzically.

“Oh, we’re not here for the drinks.” Kyungil leaned in. “The owner makes the best fried chicken I’ve ever had.”

They sat down at the bar. Kyungil was immediately greeted by the pretty young bartender.

She winked at him slyly.

“Long time no see, handsome.” She glanced over at Yijeong. “Who’s your friend?”

Kyungil smiled and slapped Yijeong on the back. “This is Yijeong.” He smiled warmly. “He’s a friend of mine.”

The bartender smiled and outstretched her hand for Yijeong to shake. He taking warily and smiled weakly.

“My name’s Yezi. I’ve known Kyungil for quite some time.” She chuckled, turning over to Kyungil. “He’s a little young, don’t you think.”

Kyungil laughed as though that was the most hilarious thing he had ever heard. Yijeong looked like he was about to explode with rage.

“I’m 22 years old…” Yijeong huffed, biting his lip in annoyance.

Yezi gasped. “Oh, you’re older than me! I’m 21.” She chuckled. “But you’re so cute, like a little baby.”

“Oh, leave him alone.” Kyungil giggled. “He doesn’t like being teased.”

“Fine, leaving him alone.” Yezi smiled, patting Yijeong’s arm. “What can I get for you two tonight?”

“Chicken! And two beers.” Kyungil glanced over at Yijeong. “One for each of us.”

Yezi nodded. “Will do! I’ll get those for you.”

Yijeong crossed his arms and grunted with annoyance. “Did you bring me all the way over here just so you can flirt with some girl in front of me?”

“Of course not.” Kyungil sighed. “Besides, she’s not exactly my type anyway.”

Yijeong shifted in his eat, not looking pleased with Kyungil’s reassurance.

Kyungil leaned in closer to the younger man. “What’s the matter?” He smiled. “Jealous?”

Yijeong pouted again, shaking his head furiously. “No. Never.”

He is the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. Kyungil thought to himself. I have to make him mine.

Yezi came back with two open beers and a plate overflowing with fried chicken. Kyungil dove in immediately, quickly downing half of his first bottle of beer.

He turned to Yijeong with a slightly perplexed look on his face. “Why haven’t you touched your beer yet?”

Yijeong shook his head. “I’ve never drank alcohol before.” He paused slightly. “I guess I’m just kind of nervous.”

“Eat some of the chicken then try a sip or two.” Kyungil said nudging the beer close towards Yijeong. “It’s a little nasty at first, but you’ll get used to it.”

Yijeong obediently ate a piece of chicken and took a sip of the beer. He was convinced. Beer was definitely the most disgusting thing in the world, but if Kyungil liked it he would like it too.

After downing the entire bottle, he looked up at Kyungil who had an unusually proud look on his face.

“Good job!” Kyungil giggled. “You drank the whole thing. I’m impressed.”

Yijeong sighed, and gulped deeply. “I feel funny.”

“Your face is really red.” Kyungil pressed the back of his hand to Yijeong’s cheek. “And your skin is red hot.”

“I really don’t feel good.” Yijeong groaned, looking as though he was ready to keel over at any given moment.

Kyungil shouted over to Yezi, handing over a wad of cash and grabbing Yijeong’s arm. “Let’s get out of here. You need to lay down.” He looked back at Yezi. “Keep the change.”

They exited the bar and Kyungil started searching through his pockets.

“Where are we going?” Yijeong asked, barely able to keep himself stable.

“Here.” Kyungil stated, continuing to rummage through his pockets.

Yijeong groaned loudly. It was getting harder and harder for him to remain upright. “And where’s here?”

Kyungil finally pulled a key out of his jacket pocket. “My place.”

Once Yijeong managed to hoist himself up the stairs, Kyungil guided him into a room laying him down on a bed.

“Lay down.” He said, peering down on the smaller boy with a look of pure concern painted on his face. “I’ll go get you something to drink.”

Yijeong nodded, closing his eyes and letting himself fade out of consciousness.