Day 1

Like Honey

Song Kyungil was supposed to be the strong one.

Strength had always been at the very core of his being. He was the one with the chiseled abs that made the girls go crazy. He was the wolf that would rather kick down a door than walk through it.

But something about Jang Yijeong made him so weak.

He had sensed that something was different about Yijeong from the first time he set eyes on him. Kyungil went to the same coffee shop every morning, and ordered the same thing. A large iced Americano to be exact. And every morning at this same coffee shop where he ordered the same drink, the same cute boy was at the register to take his order.

Kyungil had been eyeing him for some time. There was something about the way he smiled and asked “Is there anything else I can get you?” made Kyungil want to get to know him.

At first he thought it was a bit ridiculous how sprung he was over a guy who’s name he didn’t even know. He was never like this. He’d had girls and guys fawning over him for so long, yet somehow he had never felt an attraction as strong as this before. For some reason for hours after he left that coffee shop that cute barista was all he could think about.

This routine went on for months until Kyungil finally worked up the nerve to do something drastic.

That morning, before he went to that same coffee shop and ordered that same coffee, he wrote his name and number on a piece of paper, folded it, and stuck it in his pocket. He ordered his coffee, a large iced Americano, as always, and slipped that piece of paper in with his cash as he paid.

A wave of nerves washed over him as he monitored the young barista’s body language for some kind of reaction. The barista opened the folded piece of paper and blushed the most adorable shade of red.

“Keep the change.” Kyungil winked, making the younger man turn even redder.

Then came the really difficult part; waiting.

Kyungil had never been a particularly patient man, but now he was really losing his mind. Every minute seemed like an hour, and every hour felt like a century. All sorts of thoughts passed through his head.

What if he’s not into guys? What if he’s not into me? What if he thinks I’m weird??? IF HE DOESN’T CALL I CAN NEVER SHOW MY FACE IN THAT COFFEE SHOP AGAIN!

Right when Kyungil was really about to lose his mind thinking about how he would have to find a new place to get his morning coffee, he heard the most miraculous sound he had ever heard—his phone was ringing.

He almost fell flat on his face running to get it and answered it with a half panting “Hello?”

“Hi…” a gentle voice came over the line. God he sounds even cuter over the phone. “Can I speak… to Kyungil”

Kyungil chuckled. He was so cute it didn’t even seem possible. “That’s me. I’m glad you called.” Glad doesn’t exactly cut it. “How are you?”

“I’m fine…” the voice replied, his nerves evident from the trembling of his voice. “And you?”

“I’m doing so much better now that you called.” Kyungil couldn’t deny he was excited that the boy he had his eye on for so long called. For the first time in 27 long years he had butterflies in his stomach. He had almost forgotten that he didn’t even know this guy’s name. “We haven’t properly introduced ourselves have we? My name is Song Kyungil. What’s yours?”

“Yijeong.” The younger answered, almost too quickly. “I’m Jang Yijeong.”

Yijeong. Somehow that name fit him so well.

“Well, Jang Yijeong…” Kyungil started, the nerves beginning to creep back up. “How would you like to get a drink with me tomorrow?”

“Yeah. I’d like that.” Yijeong responded with a light giggle that sent shivers down Yijeong’s spine. “I get out of work at 4… Maybe we can meet up then?”

Kyungil felt a borderline foolish smile creep across his face.  “That’s fine with me.”

“Alright then, see you tomorrow Kyungil.” Yijeong chimed, his voice full of childlike excitement.

“Yeah.” Kyungil replied. “See you tomorrow Yijeong.”