The New Home

You Gave Me A New Life

A young boy sat on the street. He was about twenty-four years old. His clothes were old, and worn out. He has found them in the dustbin. He had only a small plastic cup, an old book and a disposable razor. That was all. Yes, he was homeless since the death of his parents.

When he was fourteen years old, their parents had a car accident, and died. The young boy couldn’t pay the bills, the food nor the school. So he had to leave his life. First, there was an orphanage, but it wasn’t too friendly in his opinion. So he decided to live in the street and live from day to another day. First he was hungry, but he earned just few money, if he earned. He lived under a bridge, near to the Medical University of Seoul. His favorite hobby was watching the students as they were going to school. Sometimes they gave him some money, but it wasn’t enough for anything.

Now, he wanted to go to university too, but it was too late. He was good for nothing. But it was his destiny. He left the orphan house, and that’s why he had to live as a homeless, without university. He was thirsty, but he could drink only from the fountain, which is before the big building. But at daytime it was hopeless. When he went near to the building, everybody shouted at him, and some people threw him with gravels. He could drink only at night.

 

Now it was November. He felt cold, he was shaking all the time. Every day he cried a lot because of his poverty. He missed his parents. He missed his life, with the chances. His only dream was die in the ground while he is sleeping. Years before a person gave him a small cap, now he wore it. He sat opposite the university. He found those people lucky. They had family, they had food every day, and they wore new, clean clothes. He was jealous.  He wanted to eat some hot food, or drink a coke, but he couldn’t. He didn’t remember when he had eaten normal food last time.

 

“Hey” a young boy stopped in front of him “are you cold?”

 

“Yes” he looked up. He remembered the boy, he saw him every day.

 

“What’s your name?” asked the student.

 

“It’s Jinki. But I prefer Onew” he responded. He had a bad throat ache, so his voice was deeper and hoarser. But every winter he caught some maladies. It was normal to him.

 

“Here” the boy gave him some money “Buy a coat and something for eat. It’s enough”

 

Onew blinked. He would say thank you to the stranger, but when he looked up again he saw the boy in front of the door of the university. The guy was so good-looking, with big and warm eyes. And now he was a hero in his eyes. So he stood up, and went to the supermarket. As he walked inside, everybody watched him with a pity in their eyes. But Jinki didn’t mind it. He bought what he wanted. Bottles of water, an instant ramyum, and breads. He paid, and he put the leftover money in his pocket. Everybody watched him, like a silly, as he left the market. He went directly to the people, he knew. Most of them were homeless too, and Onew gave them the bread with the water. He made their day happy. He felt gratitude to the boy. After feeding his friends, he went back to his place. Now he had something to eat, and plus money if he’ll need something. He sat down on a bench, and lunched.

It was his lucky day, and he was happy. This boy made his day. After he stopped eating, he put the bread and the water next to him. He hid the small glass. He had food there was no need to ask money.

 

So he ate his bread and drunk his water day by day. Sometimes he saw the boy, who always gave him an uncertain smile, then disappeared. At winter he brought a blanket for him and hot ramen every week. Usually Onew shared his gifts with other homeless people, and he always told to everybody, that his guardian angel gave it to him. He looked up to the boy, who was really an angel for him.

 

It was Christmas afternoon.

Jinki sat on the bench with the rest of the weekly bread. Maybe the boy was with his family, or with his friends. Onew recollected his memories from his parents and his family. He felt that a tear ran down his cheeks. He missed his parents a lot, his old friends, and his grandparents too. He was an only child, and he thought, that that was the best. He could not take care of somebody else. Every Christmas his heart was broke, and he cried a lot. At daytime he sat in front of the university. He went to the bridge after the sunset, or when it was raining. He coughed hard, maybe he caught pneumonia. He didn’t know. But his immune was weaker and weaker every year. He knew that maybe he’ll die soon, and he was not afraid of it. Maybe it’ll be easier a bit, so he was waiting for his death. There was nobody on the street every person spent this day with the family. Everybody, except him. His friends were in homeless shelters, but Onew never went there. He was afraid of those people when he was young. And he accustomed to be alone.

 

“Hey” the boy stopped in front of him. Onew recognized his warm voice.

 

“Hi” he looked up. The boy wore a thick, soft-looking coat, with scarf and tasseled cap. Lucky him…

 

“Why are you alone? Where’s your family, your friends?” asked him. The homeless boy looked down sadly. Yes, it was Christmas, and he was alone. How pitiable was he!

 

“My parents died, when I was young teenager. Since then I live alone, and I spend the Christmas with nobody. My friends are in the homeless shelters, but when I was young, I didn’t want to go there. I was afraid they put me in an orphanage. And now this is a habit for me. But my friends aren’t my friends, just sallow sufferers.” he answered. He didn’t know why, but he trusted in the boy, who nodded at the end.

 

“Come with me”

 

“Where?” Onew surprised.

 

“Just come. Do you trust in me?”

 

“o-of course…”

 

“Then come” the stranger waited for him, so Jinki stood up. He brought his things with him, of course, but actually he was afraid. He knew nothing, and he wasn’t brave enough to ask, where they were going. He just followed his guardian angel. Maybe he would run away, but he trusted in the boy. He always gave him food and drink, why would he hurt him?

 

“What’s your name?” he asked suddenly. The stranger didn’t look back, just said his name.

 

“Minho”

 

And then Jinki felt something interesting. The name made him happier and warmer. He liked the boy, who always helped him, and whose name was Minho. He would huge him, but he couldn’t. What would Minho say? He is just a disgusting unhoused at all. So he just watched the way, where they went. They stopped in front of a door. Minho entered the code, and opened the door.  “Come”

 

“Thank you” Onew bowed, then went inside.

 

“Would you mind, if I call the elevator, or would you like us use the stairs?” Minho asked. As Onew looked around, he found himself in a luxury foreground of a condominium.

 

“Both the same” he answered, after stopped viewing the house. The other nodded then called the lift. Onew was a bit worried. He smelt like a badger, and plus he haven’t used the elevator since he left home. But he had no chance to change, because the elevator arrived. Minho went inside of it, and he had too. So he did it. The silence became very awkward, but he didn’t know what to say. So he just stood next to Minho, and prayed. He was afraid, if his ‘Guardian Angel’ would hurt him or something like that.

The elevator stopped at the fifth floor, when Minho went out. He waited for Onew, and then together they went to a door. Minho opened it.

 

“Here we are” he said after entering in the apartment. Onew blinked. He did not understand anything. It was strange for him, but he entered to the luxury apartment, where everything was modern and expensive. There was a huge smart television, the new Ps4 and so on. He could find even a big Jacuzzi. And there was a small Christmas tree next to the television.

 

“Where are we?” he asked. Minho took off his own coat, cap, scarf and boots then he looked at the homeless.

 

“At home, Jinki hyung. You don’t have one, so I share it with you, as you always share your everything with your sallow flutterers. I grew up here, but my family moved to Incheon. It’s not that far from here, I know, but I preferred this flat, so they gave it to me. My dad is football trainer, my mom is famous lawyer, so they have a lot of money. My elder brother just finished university, he became dentist, and me… well, I want to be a famous surgeon. But I live here alone. As I arrive at home, nobody is here, nobody waits for me. I’m lonely” he said “Take a shower, Jinki hyung”

 

“Why are you so kind with me? Why are you giving me always gifts?” Onew understood nothing.

 

“I already told you. I live here alone. I saw you, so I gave you money to see, what do you do with that. You helped to other people, you are a good man. I decided to bring you here, but I was afraid, if you rob me. But now it is Christmas, and this is my gift for you. I want you to be my housemate” he leaned to the wall. Onew sighed.

 

“Thank you, but this is a too big gift, I’m sorry, I can’t accept it” he bowed, but he felt the tears in his eyes. It was the most beautiful offer, he’d ever gotten.

 

“I knew you’d say that” Minho nodded “I have an offer for you. You can live here, as a housemate, but you make the cleaning up, do the wash and iron my clothes. I’ll bring you food every day, but at week-ends we will cook. And you have to study. I give you my old books from the beginning. Is it okay?”

 

“So I will be your wife instead of your wife” Onew raised his eyebrows.

 

“Something like that. It is a matter of perception” answered the other “For me, it’s a symbiosis. I give you home, and you give me order in my flat. Okay?”

 

Onew felt strange. Maybe he got the best offer in his life, but it was too beautiful to be true. The rich, and good-looking guy invited him to be housemates, and he had to do only the housework. Was it possible? Was it true, or he was just dreaming?

 

“O-Okay. T-thank you” Onew bowed again. Now he cried. He was grateful to him.

 

“Great, take a shower now” said Minho “My parents brought me my old clothes, some of them are totally new. You can wear them, and there is a razor for you. It was under the tree” he smiled, as Onew’s eyes became sparkly. He was such like a small kid. He said thank you again, then he went into the bathroom. It was luxury too, with a hydro-massage shower. So he used that. It was the best felling in his life, when he could take a hot shower, with shampoo and with shower gel. He didn’t understand, when he’d washed his hair last time, and he felt ten kilos minus after the shower. He shaved his beard too, then he picked up his old clothes. As he left the room, he saw Minho standing in front of him, with a pair of jeans, a pair of underpants and a blue pullover. Onew turned back, and he appeared a few minutes later in his new costumes.

 

“It’s like, I’d replaced” smiled Onew with teary eyes “thank you”

 

“You’re welcome. I’m glad, you’re happy. Come, I show you your room. I filled the wardrobe with your new clothes. My parents lived there, but I made it a bit more modern, if you don’t mind”

 

“Sure. I don’t mind! This is your apartment” he looked in horror at the other. Why he asked him about it?

 

“It’s yours as well. I made spaghetti while you were taking a shower. Let’s eat hyung or I’m going to die of hunger” Minho laughed, which melted Jinki’s heart. But he had to smile too. Minho never knew how it is feeling in real life. He had never been that much hungry.

 

“Why do you call me hyung?” Onew asked suddenly. Minho looked at him with is warm and big eyes.

 

“I don’t know. You look older than me. I’m twenty-two years old” he answered. Onew gave him a cute smile. Actually, he was so good-looking, but he looked older than he really was.

 

“Bah, you were right. I’m twenty-four” he laughed.

 

“Huh, old man” Minho patted Onew’s shoulder then went to his luxury kitchen. Onew followed him, and sat down. The younger boy gave him a plate “Don’t eat too much. Your stomach is still weak, and I don’t want to see you sick, okay?”

 

“Sure. Thanks” answered Jinki.

 

“If you thank it again, I don’t know what I will do with you, but you will better runaway” the younger boy put sauce on the pasta, and gave it to the homeless.

 

“I see. Sorry” then Onew started to eat as a hungry wolf. He didn’t know, when he tasted homemade food last time, but it was the best meal he has ever eaten. The food danced on his taste buds, and he enjoyed every second of the diner. He ate faster and faster.  When he finished, Minho was still eating. “It was delicious”

 

“I’m glad about that” Minho answered with a cute smile on his face.

 

“Minho-goon? I want to give you something” the face of Jinki became a bit more serious. Minho looked up, and finished chewing. “I have this book since I left. When I was young, I read it several times, so when I left home, I took it with myself. It’s Christmas, and you gave me the biggest gift. You gave me food, shower, a home, and maybe a friend. So I want to give you my greatest treasure. This is The Prince and the Pauper of Mark Twain” he gave him the book. Minho took it with a cute smile.

 

“There was no need to give me a gift, but I accept it. Thank you, Jinki hyung. I’ll take care of it” he got up then hugged Jinki, who cried again. This Minho changed his life. He took care of him, and it was the best feeling in the world. Somebody helped him. “You must be tired. I put your pajamas on the bed. We will talk tomorrow. Okay?”

 

“Okay, thanks” Jinki slowly pulled away himself from Minho and turned to the right direction to his room “Good night Minho-yah. Sleep well”

 

“Thank you. You too” answered the younger, then Jinki entered the room. He took on his pajamas then he laid on the bed. He watched the luxury room, and he thought, in a new place it’s impossible to fall sleep soon. But ten minutes later Onew has travelled in dreamland already.