1/1

shadows, lights and endless colours

shadows, lights and endless colours





 

In this world, nobody sees 3D or colour until you fall in love. Nobody sees light or shadows as different until you fall in love. Nobody sees life as life until you fall in love.

So naturally, when Jeon Jungkook opened his eyes on a cool winter morning in November seeing the colour red on the shirt draped over his chair rather than a deep grey, you can guess that he was alarmed. Furrowing his brows, eyes widened, he sat up, looking around. Most of his field of vision was the same as ever, dull and plain; he could only see splashes of colour blended in with greyness. Parts of the grass growing in the garden outside his apartment were vivid green, his thick bedding a bright blue, his shoes situated by the beige door an obnoxious orange and purple. He frowned more, closing his eyes and reopening them a few times to check that his eyesight wasn’t just going out of whack. After struggling to comprehend this new part of his life called colour for a few more minutes, he pulled the shirt he could now tell was red off his chair and slipped it on, pulling jeans over his boxers and going through his shoes. He was still in awe, parting his lips slightly as he traced over the splashes of colour lazily painted on his favourite pair of timberlands, putting them on and grabbing his still grey phone off the shelf and shoving it into his pockets.

I must look odd, he thought to himself, getting on the bus and staring around at the slowly increasing amounts of colour he could see. Not only the colour, but the now visible shadows and light. He didn’t know what to make of this sudden intrusion to his life – was it an improvement? He couldn’t quite grasp the concept yet, still bewildered that life wasn’t just black and white, quite literally. He caught himself scrunching his face up in confusion at some of the bus’s passengers, wondering how on Earth any of them thought what they were wearing looked okay at all; oranges mixed with mustard yellow and olive green tartan over the top of fluoro striped purple and blue. When his stop came, he frowned out the window at the colours obscuring his regular view, seeing the colourful hair on a few well-dressed people on the street and the white-roofed coffee shop he normally would have rushed to go inside; today, he was unsure whether it was even the right stop, everything looked so different. One of the old ladies who always sat behind him tapped his shoulder, muttering for him to hurry and get off, after he had taken a few extra seconds to try and, once again, comprehend everything going on.

Hastily hopping off the bus, he watched it drive away, before turning on his heels to face the coffee shop, frowning. Slowly and unsurely he made his way to the now visibly pale yellow door, placing a hand on the handle but making sure to examine the way light seemed to reflect off the edges, highlighting parts of the metal. He could see that on the concrete behind him was a dark figure shaped exactly like his own, and it took him a minute to take in the idea of shadows. Sighing in confusion, he opened the door to the smell of freshly baked sugar-pastries and warm lattes, looking around at the light blue walls and inviting pale chairs and tables. It was early, around 8:30am, and it wasn’t until around 9 that people started billowing in. Jungkook, being close friends with the boy working the counter, rushed straight toward him and bent over the surface, leaning his head in his large palms.

“Hey, Jungkook. Doughnut? I’ll give you one for free, you look pretty tired.” Jimin, the short but sweet dark-haired boy behind the counter, smiled. “Something up?”

“If you’re serious, I might take that free doughnut. And yes. I’m really, really confused.”

Passing him a warm cinnamon doughnut from the stand near the register, Jimin sat himself up on the counter. No other customers had come in yet, so it was just the two of them. “What’s up?”

Sighing, Jungkook took a bite, chewing and swallowing. “I woke up this morning, normally, okay. Felt completely normal, but I looked around and I could see what I’m pretty sure is what sci-fi novels classify as ‘colour’. My shirt? It’s like… bright? It’s not dull? I can’t explain, hyung. I don’t know what’s happening to me.”

Jimin looked at him for a moment, before bursting into laughter.

“What?!” Jungkook groaned, clearly exasperated.

“Oh, Jungkookie.” Jimin cooed, giggling softly. “You’ve fallen in love. You start seeing colour when you’re in love. And light, have you seen that yet? It’s pretty awesome.” Jimin smiled affectionately. “I started seeing it when I met Hoseok.” He clasped his hands together, drifting off into thought.

“I’m in what?! Love?! No! That’s-” Jungkook’s yell was drowned out by the sound of the door creaking, making him go silent and whip his head around to face it. He quickly hopped off the bench, brushing his hair out of his eyes, looking up at the rather tall figure frowning slightly in the doorway. Jimin hurriedly fixed his apron, fully tying it up and bowing to the purple-blonde haired boy who had just interrupted their conversation.

“Hello, welcome! I’m Jimin!” Jimin flashed his white teeth, smiling widely and invitingly. Jungkook watched the boy’s eyes travel from the floor to Jimin’s eyes, before he smiled widely back.

“Hi,” He said, warmly. Jungkook watched him with curiosity, finding the low tone in the stranger’s voice rather appealing. “I’m Taehyung. Can I sit over here?”

Jungkook reassumed his position on the counter, as Jimin handed Taehyung a menu and guided him to a seat, brightly telling him that “this seat is the best, because the sunlight comes through the window, warming you up pleasantly”. He glanced at Jungkook while Taehyung bowed, sitting down and flicking through the menu. “Your hair is really pretty, by the way.” Jimin added sweetly. “Suits you really well. Let me know when you want to order.”

Returning to the counter, Jimin giggled quietly at Jungkook, who was still staring in awe at the boy whose fluffy purple hair was illuminated and shadowed carefully by the sunlight gently poking in through the window. Jungkook thought he looked like one of the beautifully shaded drawings he saw in his art magazines, but more flawless-looking. The way the light bounced off his prominent cheekbones was beautiful, and how it threaded through his hair, leaving it looking a lighter purple than it was. He looked, in Jungkook’s eyes, beautiful, sitting over there by the window reading the menu with his light pink tongue peeking out of his peachy lips slightly in concentration. Jimin tapped Jungkook’s shoulder a few times, giggling softly, before talking.

“He’s the boy from yesterday, you know.” Smirking slightly, “It’s him you’re in love with, I can tell. Isn’t he even more attractive with the colour and light?”

Jungkook’s eyes widened, tearing his eyes from the angelic figure in the light yellow chair to face Jimin. “What? No, you’re wrong… I’ve seen him once, I’m not in love with him. I’ve known his name for like, two minutes. It’s not him.”

“Then who else? You’ve known me since year ten, so it isn’t me. You have no other friends. Definitely not Hoseok, because you hardly ever see him. Who else?”

“A girl? I don’t know?”

“A girl, he says. I could like a girl, says possibly the gayest person I’ve ever met.” Jimin sniggers. “Definitely a girl, yes.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes.

Taehyung, from the seat over by the window, cleared his throat before putting a pale arm into the air, calling for Jimin’s attention, who rushed over immediately. “Are you ready to order?” Taehyung nodded, smiling. “What’ll it be?” Jimin whipped out a pen and notepad expertly.

“I’ll have one strawberry caramel frappe with extra cream and one choc-orange muffin, please.”

Jimin smiled warmly, writing it down. “That all?” To which Taehyung nodded. “That’ll be six-thousand won. Just pay when you’re done!” Jimin bowed again, leaving Taehyung with his wallet out and searching through it for coins. Jungkook watched Taehyung curiously, tilting his head slightly. When Jimin saw him staring, he caught his eye and winked.

Jungkook groaned in frustration.

 

--

 

Every morning, Jungkook found himself taking extra time to look good, and he decided that colour made him a little bit more aware of what he looked like. Constantly, Jimin’s words repeated in his brain, but he always tried to clench his eyes shut and think about something less stressful. He didn’t want to be in love with someone he had never even met. Yet, every morning Taehyung returned to the café earlier than everyone else and Jungkook caught himself staring every time he came in through the door.

One particular morning, Jungkook had woken up after two hours of sleep, having spent the night studying and rereading notes from his maths classes for the exam later that day. Jungkook was a dance major, yet he hadn’t taken enough cores the first year so he had to take up maths the second. Living on two meek hours of sleep, Jungkook hadn’t bothered to make himself look overly good that day, which resulted in him feeling very embarrassed when Taehyung sat down in his usual window seat, wearing tight black jeans that defined his leg muscle and gorgeous and a loose white tee, topped with a thick woollen coat and a dark grey scarf. Jungkook, however, had thrown on loose pants and a wrinkled sweater with a black beanie. Looking at Taehyung, he had wished he had worn something a little bit more appealing.

Jungkook, like usual, watched Taehyung in amazement, and didn’t miss the new hair colour the boy sported. It was a silvery pink, and Jungkook thought it was gorgeous. It looked to soft and smooth, the way it hung against his forehead and hung in his eyes slightly, long, slender fingers flicking it out of the way. The cool weather dusted a soft pink onto his pale cheekbones, and his nose was ever so slightly tinged red. Jungkook thought it was adorable, he was adorable. Jungkook, once again, found himself wondering why he looked like such an angel.

When Jimin handed him a mug of warm, tasty hot chocolate, Jungkook paid attention to the way he pulled his scarf down slightly and how his lips looked a gentle blue from the cold. He his lips briefly before pulling the white mug to them, closing his eyes and taking a small sip, holding the cup warmly in his hands.

Jungkook instantly stood up, unable to take the oblivion about why this boy was so attractive to him anymore, and carried himself to his table, sitting down in front of him. Taehyung looked up from his book quickly, dark brown eyes staring into Jungkook’s. The younger, nervous, blushed, making Taehyung look back down at his book, placing the mug on the table. Jungkook could smell its contents, inhaling them tastefully.

It was Taehyung who talked first. “Hello?” He said, quietly. Much quieter than normal, Jungkook noted.

“Hi.” The silence was heavy. “I like your new hair colour.”

Taehyung blushed slightly, smiling to himself, satisfied. “Thank you… I’m Taehyung. I’m assuming you’re Jungkook?” To which Jungkook’s eyebrows raised. “Jimin talks about you.”

“Oh… does he? What does he say?” Jungkook says, curious to know if he has to go punch his best friend in the gut later.

“He says you’re pretty cool, and really attractive.” He cleared his throat, “I can’t say he’s lying.”

Jungkook blushed deeply, and Taehyung smirked slightly. “I can see colour too, by the way.”

The younger looked up again. “Y-you can?”

Taehyung nodded. “Let’s just put it this way; can I take you to lunch after your exam later?”

Jungkook looked at him, eyes wide. Firstly, Taehyung-the-angel had just asked Jungkook out on a date, he thought. Second, he knew Jungkook had an exam later that day. “Of course.” He said, feebly. “Of course you can take me to lunch.”

“Good. Also, if you’re wondering how I know about your exam, thank Jimin.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes playfully. “That brat.”

“Now, now, don’t go being like that. It was me who asked about your schedule.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.” Taehyung cleared his throat, before snatching up Jungkook’s phone from the table and unlocking it, starting to type.

“Hey-” Taehyung quickly handed Jungkook back his phone, smiling smugly.

“Text me later, I have to go. Call me after the exam.” With that, the pink-top stood up, gathering his things and gave Jungkook a swift peck on the cheek, leaving.

Jungkook unlocked his phone, blushing hard, and found his phone open to a new contact, which read prince taehyung ;) and a phone number, which he only assumed was the elder’s. He stared at the phone in his hand for a minute, before shaking his head in disbelief and thanking Jimin for his doughnut.

 

--

 

Jungkook did indeed call Taehyung after the exam had finished. Rather nervously, but Taehyung didn’t seem to be as confident as he was in the morning either. They had decided to meet up at the café, just because it was easiest for them both. Taehyung arrived a little earlier than Jungkook, but he didn’t mind, and when the younger jumped off the bus in a warm coat and skinny white jeans, Taehyung couldn’t say the sight wasn’t worth the wait.

Of course, the first “date” was as awkward as any other; Jungkook was blushing half the time and Taehyung never knew what to say.

“How was the exam?” Taehyung asked, trying to start conversation.

“Pretty crappy. I’m sure I did fine, but maths isn’t the best subject to do, you know. I’m normally a dance major, I just had to take another core aside from English.” Jungkook sighed.

“Ah,” Taehyung smiled. “I’m a music major. I do vocals and sometimes I write lyrics.”

From there, the two started talking swiftly about their shared love of music, which thankfully made them both feel more comfortable around each other.

After they had been at the café for two and a half hours, Jungkook told Taehyung regretfully that he really had to get home, and packed up his bag. Taehyung smiled, nodding and thanking him for coming, before telling Jungkook to call him later.

Which, of course, he did.

“Hey, Taehyung?”

“Jungkookie?”

Jungkook blushed at the nickname. “Hi…”

“Hey. Today was fun, don’t you think?”

“Yeah. It was fun.”

Silence. “What are you doing?”

Jungkook smiled to himself, “I just showered, now I’m rolling around in bed wondering if it’s worth my hunger to get up and cook bacon.” Taehyung laughed on the other end of the line happily.

“I think if you want the bacon enough, which I’m sure you do – its bacon – then get up and go make it? It’s only like, eight. Don’t sleep yet.”

Smiling, Jungkook nodded to himself. “Okay,” He said, getting out of under the doona and walking to the kitchen. “My roommates are asleep. Normally, they’re the ones making noise, they’re seniors and have drunk girls over all the time.”

Taehyung sighed. “Poor thing. Do you dorm at the college?”

“Yeah, unfortunately. I don’t really have much of a choice in terms of roommates and stuff. I’m stuck with Namjoon and Seokjin for now. Yoongi, he lives next door, alone, and he’s pretty awesome. He like, comes in and bangs on their door with me when they’re making too much noise. I don’t understand why I can’t just room with him.”

“He sounds hilarious. And yeah, that’s irritating…”

“Mm.”

They stayed like that until around one in the morning, just talking, until Taehyung had to hang up since Jungkook had fallen asleep. Taehyung smiled, rereading texts sent during the day, before putting his phone on charge next to him and falling asleep peacefully.

 

--

 

The next morning continued as usual; both Taehyung and Jungkook went to Jimin’s café, and both ordered hot chocolates. The weather was still cold and neither of them could drink a frappe without having goosebumps the whole day after. The only difference being that Jungkook wasn’t just observing Taehyung from a distance anymore; now he sat directly across from the angelic boy, sipping at his hot chocolate and holding his hand shyly under the table. At 9:30 the both of them had to go home to work on assignments, and they hardly texted for the rest of the day. The only other time they talked that day was when Jungkook called for three minutes to just hear Taehyung breathe, which strangely, the elder didn’t find creepy.

Jungkook read tiredly over his maths notes for the fourteenth time, still not grasping the concept, and settling on the decision to close his notebooks and just go to sleep. He plugged his phone in beside him and lay down under his doona, opening his messages and sending Taehyung a quick goodnight text. Just as he started typing, a text from the elder came through, reading, Night, Jungkookie. Make sure you eat a full breakfast! Xx

Smiling, the younger tapped in a reply, Of course, hyung. See you for lunch tomorrow? Call me in the morning. Night.

 

--

 

A few weeks and a few dates later, Jungkook woke up late, to the sound of his phone ringing loudly throughout his room. He answered it absent-mindedly.

“Hello?”

“Jungkook?”

Jungkook sat up instantly, checking the time. 9:00. Oh .

“Jungkook?” The voice, clearly Taehyung’s, repeating. “You okay?”

“Yeah- yeah, just woke up late- I’m getting dressed-”

“Oh, okay. Just checking.”

“Thanks, Tae-” Jungkook said, pulling jeans and a loose shirt on, slipping into his timberlands and quickly rushing out the door. “I’m on my way now.”

“Yay, can’t wait to see you,” Taehyung sounded happy on the other end. Jungkook sighed contentedly.

“And me to you. Hey, you free tonight?” Jungkook said.

“Sure. Are you taking me out?”

“Hyung, I can’t drive, so no. You’re taking me out.”

Taehyung chuckled. “And where to?”

“The park. There’s a fireworks show.”

“Aw, how cute. What’s this, our sixth date now?”

“Seventh. And you call yourself a loyal boyfriend. Gosh, hyung.” Jungkook giggled, receiving a few strange looks from the people on the bus, but ignoring them and getting off at his stop. He hung up quickly, dashing into the café and hugging Taehyung quickly, smiling.

“Jungkookie,” Taehyung hummed quietly. “It’s been like, a day, and I miss you so much already. I ordered your frappe.”

Smiling, Jungkook sat down, taking the plastic cup in his hands and sipping from the straw, content.

“I’m so happy I’m with you right now, I have so much work to do. Our choreographer is super sick so he’s put me in charge, and I honestly have no clue what to do. I think I’d have gone insane if I hadn’t seen you at all today.”

Taehyung smiled at him. “You’ll do fine. I’m sure.”

Jungkook took another few sips, shrugging. “It is what it is. I’ll get through it, I guess.”

“You’re so cute, you know that? You’re a little cutie.”

Jungkook actually choked on his frappe. Recovering quickly, he looked up at Taehyung, eyebrows raised. “Where did that come from?”

Taehyung snorted, laughing and attracting stares from other customers, but neither of them could care less. “Nowhere. You’re just adorable.”

Jungkook choked again, sending Taehyung into a laughing fit, nearly falling on the floor.

 

--

 

“I’m coming, hyung, the elevator’s slow! I’m coming!” Jungkook giggled into his phone, Taehyung lecturing him about how he was always late for dates and whether he was “actually his boyfriend” or not, to which Jungkook rolled his eyes. “Of course I’m your boyfriend, of course I like you, of course, hyung. My elevator’s slow.”

“Sure, sure. You here yet?”

Jungkook came dashing out of the building in ripped skinny jeans and a black leather jacket. Taehyung looked him up and down, hanging up and smiling. “You look great, Jungkookie. You look better in a leather jacket than like, anyone I’ve ever seen.”

Jungkook blushed a deep crimson, smiling nevertheless. “Thanks, hyung.” He got in the car, and Taehyung asked for directions.

When the two finally found the park, they settled themselves down at an empty patch of grass, with a good view of the fireworks. Jungkook lay down, smiling happily. Taehyung joined him, lying in the soft, vivid grass that only a few people were lucky enough to see the full beauty of. He reached out, grasping Jungkook’s hand, and interlaced their fingers.

“Hyung…” Jungkook mumbled, quietly.

“Yes, Jungkookie?”

Jungkook moved closer, eyes shut. He rolled onto his side, affection littering his vivid eyes. Before either could protest, he leant forward and planted a gentle kiss on the elder’s lips.

“I love you.”