Final

Muse

Photographer AU: university setting, photographer A and camera shy B, A wants to take a picture of B for final project.


          “Seungcheol!” Choi Seungcheol, second year at Pledis University, turns around to spot his childhood friend, Yoon Jeonghan, running up to him. The long haired, flower boy smiles up at Seungcheol before falling into step beside him, “why didn’t you wait for me? I told you to wait since I have to walk past your class to get home anyways.”

          “You were taking too long,” Seungcheol lies, looking away when Jeonghan gives him a skeptical look. “I actually have assignments and stuff to finish today.”

          “Since when do you not procrastinate?” Jeonghan asks as the duo turns the corner and walk down the stairs. “I’ve known you ever since you were in diapers and never once have you completed homework ahead of time.”

          “Maybe I’m changing, turning over a new leaf,” Seungcheol responds as they walk into the afternoon sun. Smiling lightly at the sunshine (he had been cooped up in a lecture hall since nine; it was now around one), he scans the yard in front of the building. It was one of the many fields scattered around the Pledis campus and students often rested there in between classes. Looking around at the crowd of students that had already claimed spots, he finally spots who he was looking for. “Look, they’re over there.”

          “They choose the same spot every day I don’t know why you insist on looking,” Jeonghan rolls his eyes, already heading towards their group of friends. “Unless...” Jeonghan smirks, following Seungcheol’s gaze until he also spots a certain, grumpy, pink-haired shortie. “Knew it,” Jeonghan laughs, causing Seungcheol to glare at him, before they reach the group of boys sitting near the oak tree next to the pathway (aka, where they always sat).

          “Hello Jeonghan, Seungcheol,” Hong Jisoo, a transfer student from America, greets the two friends as they sit down. Jeonghan smiles warmly at Jisoo as he takes his place beside him while Seungcheol plops down next to Lee Jihoon, other known as ‘the grumpy, pink-haired shortie’. “How were your classes?”

          “Fine,” Jeonghan answers as the other three first years (Jihoon was a first year as well) say hello. Wen Junhui, a transfer student from China, and Jeon Wonwoo nod in agreement while Kwon Soonyoung, the ever loud and bright member of the group, bursts out into a rant over his latest class experience.

          “Aren’t you going to eat?” Seungcheol gestures at the unopened box of food sitting at Jihoon’s feet as Jisoo and Jeonghan get drawn into Soonyoung’s complaints. Jihoon stares at Soonyoung with an unreadable expression on his face before turning to look at Seungcheol. He examines the elder’s face before casually shaking his head. “You should eat,” Seungcheol presses on, forcing himself not to blush or give in as Jihoon pouts slightly.

          “I had a big breakfast,” Jihoon explains, he picks up the box and opens it, revealing its contents before placing in Seungcheol’s lap. “You can have it.”

          “Hey Seungcheol hyung,” Soonyoung calls, forcing Seungcheol and Jihoon to stop staring at each other and pay attention the conversation. “Did you get your final project yet?” Soonyoung – as well as Junhui, Jihoon, and Seungcheol – were all in the arts department at Pledis and it was customary for every arts major (no matter what the subject) to receive their final assessments at the same time. Most of the time, for dancers like Soonyoung and Junhui, they had to choreograph a dance or put on a showcase while people in music production (Jihoon) usually had to create song or write lyrics.

          “Yeah,” Seungcheol replies before shifting his weight onto his left aside (away from Jihoon seeing as Jeonghan and Jisoo were looking at him with knowing eyes). He tries to ignore the fact that Jihoon pouts slightly at this action (it was his imagination, nothing to get excited about) before giving Soonyoung a better answer. “I have to take a collage of pictures of a subject that ‘inspires’ me and write about it.”

          “That just sounds like a bunch of bull,” Soonyoung comments, causing Wonwoo to snort. “Literally, I don’t know how you can take photography. When I had to take visual art in high school all I did was bull my art critiques.”

          “I’m surprised you still passed, especially since your art skills are so bad,” Jeonghan states. “And don’t tell me your writing skills are that great either. There’s a reason you’re a dancer not a journalist.”

          “So what are you going to photograph?” Junhui asks carefully (his Korean was quite good now but he was still working on it). He and Wonwoo stare at the elder curiously while Jeonghan and Soonyoung sassily insult each other’s art skills.

          “I don’t know,” Seungcheol admits, scratching the back of his head. “The outline of the assignment was kind of vague, is it like, an object? A quote? A person?”

          “Maybe a role model or someone who’s important to you?” Wonwoo suggests. “But I guess that’d be difficult if your role model is dead. How would you take a picture of a dead person? Visit their grave?”

          “You could always take a picture of things that are associated with the dead person Wonwoo,” Jihoon snorts, rolling his eyes at Wonwoo’s simple mindedness.

          “I guess that makes sense,” Wonwoo replies, Jihoon’s sarcasm rolling off his back. Although most people were wary of Jihoon’s rude and sarcastic behaviour, everyone in the group was used to it. They all knew that Jihoon’s had no bite to them (unless he really hated you) and that he was honestly a good and caring person at heart. At least, they tried to believe that, which was kind of hard, especially when he had grabbed Jisoo’s guitar that one time and swung it at anyone that tried to get close.


          Seungcheol lies on his back, staring up at his ceiling, and contemplates his final assessment. A couple of days had passed since he told his friends about it and he was still stumped. He had even asked a couple of classmates what they were going to do and they all replied with creative ideas. A dog, a family member, heck, one girl was even trying to get her bias to notice her on social media so she could get a picture with him. Seungcheol had listened to all these ideas, talked to his professor, and even called his older sister for help, to no avail. He was as stuck as he was in the beginning, perhaps even more so now that he had heard so many ideas. He wanted to do imitate them, but not to the point of plagiarism. Sighing, Seungcheol rolls onto his side and takes his phone out. Staring at the blank screen, he rakes his head for something, anything, which inspired him. Suddenly, the screen lit up with light as he receives a phone call from Jihoon.

          “Hello?” Seungcheol picks the call up, his voice rough from disuse, and rolls back onto his back. “Jihoon?” He clears his throat and speaks again, seeing as there was no noise on the other end. He was about to end the call (thinking that Jihoon probably pocket dialed him somehow even though it was the era of smart phones) when the younger man spoke.

          “A-ah, hello,” Jihoon coughs. “Hi, hello.”

          “Yes,” Seungcheol replies before smacking his head at his stupidity. What was he even saying? Who replies to a greeting with ‘yes’? Sure, Seungcheol might have the slightest (read: largest, according to Jeonghan and Jisoo – who were apparently experts since they had been dating for two years now) crush on Jihoon but he couldn’t have been that stupid. A lot of people say that they stutter and blab about nonsense in front of their crush but Seungcheol had always thought that he had been better than that. Apparently not.

          “Uh, are you busy?” Jihoon asks, probably confused at Seungcheol’s answer (not like he could blame the poor boy). Seungcheol looks up at the clock in his room and mentally runs through his schedule before shaking his head, forgetting that Jihoon couldn’t see him.

          “No,” Seungcheol says quickly, smacking his head again at his mistake. Seungcheol is usually a level-headed, responsible individual. Jeonghan had even announced that he was practically the leader of their group (he denied that it had anything to do with the fact that Seungcheol was the oldest) but when facing Jihoon, Seungcheol find himself turning into an entirely different person. “It’s almost one in the morning though, Jihoon, what’s up?”

          “I know, but I was just hit with inspiration,” Jihoon replies. Seungcheol hears some shuffling on the other end and assumes that Jihoon was flipping through some papers. “You know my final assignment is to write a song right? I produced a pretty good melody a couple months back that I never got to use so all I needed to do was write lyrics and I think I just came up with some amazing ones.”

          “So you want me to listen to them?” Seungcheol smiles at the excitement and genuine pride in Jihoon’s voice. The boy was usually a lazy person, he slept until noon and often sat and observed while everyone else in their group was up and running. However, when it came to music, no one could rival Jihoon’s passion. The boy loved sleep but he had proven that he would willingly pull consecutive all nighters in order to finish a song before he ‘lost the feel’.

          “If you don’t mind,” Jihoon responds, clicking a few buttons on his keyboard.

          “I’m not doing anything anyways,” Seungcheol shrugs, once again forgetting that he wasn’t actually speaking to Jihoon. “But why didn’t you call Jisoo? He has more experience in music than I do.” Resisting the urge to slap himself (did he really just tell his crush to call someone else when he was inspired?) Seungcheol holds his breath and waits for Jihoon’s to reply.

          “...” the silence at the other end makes Seungcheol a little (read: a lot) nervous and he starts to turn blue from lack of oxygen. “Well,” Jihoon says finally, allowing Seungcheol to gasp for air. Away from the phone of course, he wasn’t that stupid or desperate. “I, uhm,” Jihoon stutters, which causes Seungcheol to forget how to breathe once again. Jihoon never, never, stutters. Never once in the two years that Seungcheol had known Jihoon had the younger boy ever seemed a little unsure of himself. Well, he had heard from Jeonghan that Jihoon had been really insecure about his height in high school but ever since entering university, Jihoon was the sassiest, most confident person Seungcheol had ever known.

          “Never mind, forget I asked,” Seungcheol responds quickly, covering the awkward silence that had spanned in between Jihoon’s stuttered explanation (well, he didn’t really explain anything but that’s what Seungcheol considered it) and Seungcheol’s lack of an answer. “Can I hear it now?”

          “Y-yeah,” Jihoon recovers from his... whatever it was, and quickly puts the phone on speakerphone. Seungcheol makes himself comfortable as the song starts and guitar chords begin to play. A couple moments later, Jihoon’s voice flows through the phone and Seungcheol closes his eyes. “There still isn’t any development in our relationship, so far away,” Jihoon sings softly, his melodic voice washing over Seungcheol. The older man lets his brain wander, still listening to the song, but allowing his subconscious to connect the lyrics to his own experiences.

          Don’t brush it aside like it’s nothing. If you want me, yeah, if you want me. I can give my everything to you, if I’m there, there in your heart.” Seungcheol sighs slightly, smiling at Jihoon’s lyrics. The boy, even though he seemed harsh on the outside, was really a softie. Times like this, when he was surrounded by music, were what made Seungcheol really admire him. He could develop a tune with ease, plucking perfect lyrics from thin air and weaving them together to create a beautiful, meaningful song.

          I really didn’t know I could be like this, if it’s something I did before, you’re oh,” Seungcheol almost bursts out laughing, relating to the lyrics on another level. Jeonghan had always called him a ‘manly’ person and although Jisoo had described him as a tsundere (whatever that meant) upon their first meeting, Seungcheol had never thought that he had it in him to be so soft or loving. That all changed when he met Jihoon, obviously. The once tough and serious Seungcheol was soon reduced to a smiling; obedient man who waited on Jihoon’s every word. It got to the point where Jeonghan would pinch him every time he let Jihoon play with him too much. Not like Seungcheol cared, he loved it when Jihoon laughed, and if he had to sacrifice his image for the younger boy to crack a smile then he’d willingly do it in a heartbeat.

          I want to cherish everything about you; I want you to want me baby,” Seungcheol practically flinches at the last line. He wonders if Jihoon wrote this about someone, he hopes he didn’t. The thought that Jihoon could have an unrequited love... Seungcheol didn’t even want to think about. He loves Jihoon, he knows that much at least, and all he wishes for is Jihoon’s happiness – even if it meant having to see him with someone else. As cliché as it was, Seungcheol would be able to accept the fact that Jihoon was probably straight, as long as whoever Jihoon fell in love with would be able to make him smile.

          “That was really good,” Seungcheol compliments as the last remaining chords fade away. He can hear Jihoon panting slightly on the other end and tries to calm his racing heartbeat. Truth was that the song was beautiful. Jihoon was a brilliant composer and every song that he had ever shown Seungcheol was amazing.

          “You really think so?” Jihoon responds, picking up the phone and turning the speakerphone option off. “I don’t know, it sounds a bit raw...”

          “No it’s perfect,” Seungcheol states, resisting the urge to complete his sentence. He was in love but not the extent where he would be making cheesy lines like, ‘just like you’. “Where do you get your inspiration from? All your songs and lyrics seem really meaningful and I’m here puzzled over what to take a picture of.”

          “Just don’t take a picture of me, you know I hate photos,” Jihoon laughs slightly, before his voice drops to a more sombre note. “Uhm, my lyrics, I write them thinking about... someone. I guess you could call that person my muse.”

          “Lucky,” Seungcheol swallows the lump in his throat. “I would love to have a muse right about now, someone I could take a photograph of.” He listens to Jihoon chuckle softly before they say their farewells and the call ends. Looking up at the ceiling, Seungcheol breathes in deeply and tries to ignore the fact that one, Jihoon had a muse – someone special that he thought about a lot – and, two, Jihoon wrote love songs about said muse. Turning onto his side, Seungcheol tries to distract himself by thinking about his project again. The teacher said that the object of the photographs didn’t have to exactly ‘inspire’ them. It just had to special, something they thought about a lot, and something that they think changed their lives. Seungcheol sighs, trying to focus on the task at hand, but all he can think about is Jihoon. How soft his voice was when he sang. How it could easily reach the highest notes ever created. How he was so adorably cute when he woke up in the mornings. How he could hold his own even though he was the shortest. How at certain moments, Seungcheol swore Jihoon resembled a cat. Shaking his head, Seungcheol sighs. He would never be able to figure this out would he? All he thought about was... Jihoon.

          “Holy ,” Seungcheol sits up in his bed, eyes widening. “How the could I not have realized?” Seungcheol smacks his head for the nth time that night and laughs at loud at his stupidity. Something that he thought about often? Something that was special to him? Something that he adored? Something that changed his life? Something that inspired him? All these questions could be easily answered with two words. Lee Jihoon.


          Seungcheol sighs, looking down at the DSLR in his hands. He had thought the hardest part of the assignment was over. He knew what he wanted to take a picture of, and all he had to do now was actually do it. Well, that and write a report on it but those were always easy. However, in his excitement, he had conveniently forgotten one important detail. Jihoon hated, hated, having his picture taking. Leaning back, Seungcheol looks up at the afternoon sky. He didn’t have any classes that day and was stalking the campus for Jihoon. As weird as that sounds, it was probably the only way Seungcheol was ever going to get a photograph of the younger boy. He had already asked Jihoon numerous times before for a picture (not for this project but because Seungcheol just liked taking photographs, there was a reason he was taking photography) but to no avail. Besides, candid pictures where the new fad. Right?

          “What are you doing?” a familiar voice asks, causing Seungcheol to sit up straight. He looks at the pair of legs standing in front of him before moving his gaze upwards to see Jihoon staring at him intently.

          “Trying to take a picture for my project,” Seungcheol answers honestly. He could never really lie in front of Jihoon; the younger man just had that effect on him. It was irritating, especially when Jeonghan called him out for it, but there wasn’t anything he could do about it.

          “So you thought about something that inspires you?” Jihoon throws his stuff on the ground before settling in beside Seungcheol. He pulls his knees towards his chest and Seungcheol resists the urge to reach over and pat the younger boy on the head because he really looked like a kid like that.

          “Yeah,” Seungcheol replies awkwardly. He really hopes that Jihoon won’t ask what it is because he had no idea how he was going to tell Jihoon that his inspiration was himself without spilling the beans about his one-sided love. “The teacher said it just had to be something important to you so I’m trying to take pictures of things that remind me of him.”

          “Him? So it’s a person?” Jihoon asks, narrowing his eyes. He pouts slightly, body tensing up beside Seungcheol and he seems a little angry at the situation.

          “Y-yeah,” Seungcheol says, resisting the urge to strangle himself for letting that detail slip. He was also highly confused over Jihoon’s reaction. He had never seen the pink-haired boy so... hostile. It was almost like Jihoon was jealous over the fact that Seungcheol had found someone that inspired him. Not that Seungcheol blamed him; he had felt the same way last night after Jihoon had admitted that he had a muse.

          “Why can’t you just take a picture of him then?” Jihoon questions in a clipped, non-committed manner. Seungcheol turns his head and watches as Jihoon bites the inside of his cheek, refusing to meet the older boy’s eyes.

          “Well first of all, it’s supposed to be a collage, that means more than one picture and I don’t think a bunch of pictures of the same person would be very effective – especially because I’m supposed to write a report,” Seungcheol says, making vague gestures in the air in front of him. He was a bit nervous, Jihoon’s hostile attitude was affecting his normally carefree personality, and although Jihoon usually looked quite bored and done with life, he didn’t even seem the slightest interested in what Seungcheol was saying. Which was weird, because no matter how busy the shorter man was, he had always made time for Seungcheol in the past.

          “What about the second reason?” Jihoon asks. “You said ‘first of all’, meaning that there’s probably a ‘second of all’ and maybe even a ‘third of all’,” Jihoon continues, rolling his eyes at Seungcheol’s blank expression.

          “Oh,” Seungcheol blinks, “right.”

          “So?” Jihoon smirks a little at Seungcheol’s absentmindedness before his previous stoic expression takes over his face again.

          “The person, he, uh,” Seungcheol scratches the back of his head, trying to keep the details vague. “Well, he’s kind of camera shy. He doesn’t like getting his picture taken and I’ve tried to ask him a couple times before but he wasn’t having any of it.”

          “That’s stupid,” Jihoon spits out causing Seungcheol to widen his eyes at Jihoon’s venomous answer. “Even if he doesn’t like getting his picture taken or whatever he should still help you. The final assessment is worth a lot, he obviously isn’t as great as you think he is.” Jihoon glares at the ground; fists clenched, and stands up abruptly. “But whatever, that’s just what I think. I have to go now, see you later.”

          “Uh, sure,” is all Seungcheol manages to say before Jihoon picks his things off of the ground and leaves. “That was weird, why was he so angry?” Seungcheol asks himself, playing with the settings on his DSLR. Staring at Jihoon’s retreating figure, he brings the camera up to his face, zooms in, and takes a quick, slightly blurred picture. Looking down at the screen, Seungcheol smiles and mentally writes a caption.


          Seungcheol smiles, looking down at the array of pictures he has on his lap. He had compiled the five photos over the course of a week and a half and was almost finished his report. The project was due at the start of the next week (it was currently Thursday) so Seungcheol had plenty of time to finish typing the paper up. However, as Seungcheol examines the pictures, he can’t help but feel like something was missing. There was no minimum or maximum for the number of photos one could take, and Seungcheol already had an outline planned for how he would arrange the pictures, but there was still the irritating feeling that the collage would be more complete with six pictures rather than five. Sighing, Seungcheol picks the first picture up and examines it before his mind turns back to the subject of his recent torments.

          He hadn’t seen Jihoon ever since that day underneath the tree. Well, that was technically incorrect. He had seen Jihoon, when they were all gathered together as a group or when he passed the shorter boy on his way to class, but other than those brief glimpses and snippets of conversation, it almost felt like Jihoon was avoiding him. The boy never said any more than four or five sentences to him at most and never looked him in the eyes anymore. Seungcheol had gotten so frustrated that he had even turned to Jeonghan for advice. He should’ve known that his childhood friend would be unhelpful though because all he got was ‘think about what you’ve done you idiot’.

          He didn’t do anything; at least, he hoped he didn’t. All Seungcheol did was tell Jihoon about his project. It’s not like Seungcheol could just admit that Jihoon was his everything. One look at the pictures and the captions written underneath would prove that, but the very thought of telling Jihoon about his idea causes Seungcheol to blush deeply. Feeling his ears begin to warm up, Seungcheol shakes his head to clear his thoughts. He fiddles with the camera in his hands once again, considering whether or not he should take another picture – if yes then he would have to think hard ‘cause he wasn’t exactly sure what to photograph – before raising the camera to his eyelevel. As he looks through the lens, he almost drops the camera in surprise, taking a picture by accident, as he sees Jihoon staring back at him.

          “Wow, good job,” Jihoon snickers as the camera falls against Seungcheol’s chest (it was a good thing Seungcheol remembered to wear the camera strap). “Is this your project?” Jihoon asks, leaning closer to try to see the pictures on Seungcheol’s lap.

          “Uhm,” Seungcheol tries, still processing the fact that Jihoon had been all up in his face (well, really the camera’s lens but whatever) and that was not okay because Jihoon actually had really nice skin and he had been smiling and Seungcheol was beginning to blush again. “Y-yeah,” he finally gets out, not noticing that Jihoon had already reached into his lap and taken the photos out. “W-wait, you can’t look at those!” Seungcheol practically screeches when he finally realizes what was happening but it was too late; Jihoon was already staring at the pictures, an unreadable expression across his face.

          There still isn’t any development in our relationship, so far away. The first picture Seungcheol took, with Jihoon’s retreating back. The picture was slightly blurred, giving it a fairy tale like feeling, as if the figure in the distance was unobtainable. Something that the photographer desired to keep but couldn’t.

          Don’t brush it aside like it’s nothing. This time it was a picture of Jihoon and the others at lunch. Seungcheol himself was in the picture; the photograph had been taken by Junhui (per Seungcheol’s request) and captured the moment when Seungcheol had helped Jihoon finish his food. The shorter boy had once again insisted on forgoing lunch so Seungcheol had taken it upon himself to spoon feed the shorter boy until he finished.

          I can give my everything to you, if I’m there, there in your heart. The picture was once again taken by Seungcheol. It was split in half with one part spanning downwards, centering on a lone figure standing by a familiar tree. Jihoon had gotten out of class early that day, and was waiting for the others to arrive for lunch. However, the forecast had been, unsurprisingly, wrong so it was a bit cool that day, causing Jihoon to shiver. In the corner of the photo was a jacket, held by the photographer, which was seen over Jihoon’s shoulders in the other half of the photo.

          I really didn’t know I could be like this. This one was simple; a guitar on the grass, with a pair of legs beside it. The photo was cropped at the top, so it was impossible to see who the legs belonged to, but there were a variety of song sheets scattered around the area with the name ‘Lee Jihoon’ clearly written on the top. Seungcheol had been walking home after his morning class and had caught Jihoon napping in the afternoon sun. After taking the picture, he had gathered up the papers and placed them under the guitar in case they blew away before walking away.

          I want to cherish everything about you. The final photo was a silhouette. Seungcheol had taken it when he had first met Jihoon (back in the days when he carried a camera everywhere – then his old one dropped on the ground while rough housing) and he had managed to snap a picture right before Jihoon noticed and covered the lens. Unfortunately for him, Seungcheol had taken the picture facing the sun so you could barely recognize Jihoon’s face due to the excessive backlight. However, said sunlight filled in the negative space, causing the entire person stand out amongst the lightly coloured background.

          “Seungcheol,” Jihoon finally spoke up, breaking Seungcheol out of his tormenting thoughts of which town he should begin to move to. “Seungcheol,” Jihoon taps his foot impatiently, causing the older boy to look up at him (he was still sitting down while Jihoon had neglected to sit). “Are these for your final project?”

          “Yeah, I already told you that,” Seungcheol gives up on pretending. “The project was to take photos of someone that inspired you and so I took pictures of you. Well not really you, because you don’t like being photographed so I had to go with candid photos. I hope you don’t mind.”

          “Mind?” Jihoon raises an eyebrow. “You stalked me around campus for a week and a half, took pictures without permission, and plagiarized my song lyrics. If it were anyone else than I would mind.”

          “W-what?” Seungcheol stutters, watching as Jihoon sighs and crouches down. He places the photos down and stares Seungcheol directly in the eye.

          “But since it’s you, it’s okay. As long as you credit me of course,” Jihoon replies. “I came here today because Jeonghan forced me to. He said you were an idiot and that you probably had no idea that I liked you – even though I have practically thrown myself at you like an immature high school girl – so that the only way I’d be able to get anywhere with you was to pretty much just scream that I like you so here it is.”

          “Wait, don’t actually scream at me please,” Seungcheol flinches as Jihoon takes a big breath of air.

          “Really? Out of my confession that’s all you got out of it?” Jihoon says skeptically, his ears turning red. Seungcheol smiles softly as Jihoon glares at him.

          “I like you too,” Seungcheol confesses, patting Jihoon on the head. “You inspire me and I adore you for it.” Jihoon fully blushes at this, muttering something about cheesy lines before Seungcheol pulls the younger boy onto his lap, careful to move his pictures somewhere else. “I am an idiot; I’ll admit that, so would you care to explain to me why you have been avoiding me all week?”

          “Because you said you found someone special to you and I was...” Jihoon breaks off, flushing a dark scarlet that probably wasn’t healthy, before muttering the rest of his sentence.

          “Jihoonie, I can’t hear you if you don’t speak properly,” Seungcheol teases, patting Jihoon’s cheek as the younger boy turns away.

          “I was jealous,” Jihoon says, a little louder this time, but still doesn’t look Seungcheol in the eye. “I always thought I was special to you, that you treated me a little differently than the others so knowing that you had someone else that was more special made me mad.”

          “But you have a muse!” Seungcheol exclaims. “You don’t think I was envious after hearing that either?”

          “My muse was you, you idiot!” Jihoon whips his head around and jabs his finger into Seungcheol’s chest. “I write almost all my songs about you and I can’t believe you don’t even notice that I’ve confessed to you about a million times through my songs. I want you to want me baby, did this line not get through to you at all?”

          “I,” Seungcheol stops, looking at Jihoon’s flushed face, his flabbergasted expression, and laughs. “It actually didn’t, I thought you were talking about someone else.”

          “I cannot believe you,” Jihoon says in exasperation. He shakes his head and smiles as Seungcheol chuckles at his own stupidity. “Jeonghan was right, you are stupid.”

          “Well, I got the memo now,” Seungcheol replies while Jihoon leans his face into Seungcheol’s chest. “And I’ll ask you this time, can I use your lyrics and pictures for my project?” Jihoon groans, shoving his face further into Seungcheol’s chest to escape his embarrassment before nodding, causing Seungcheol to smile widely and kiss him on the head (to which Jihoon splutters and turns even redder).


          “Did you submit it?” Jihoon asks, a couple days later, when Seungcheol walks out of his classroom. Jeonghan had given up on trying to make Seungcheol wait for him after classes and Seungcheol didn’t really mind. It wasn’t like he had to make the trip to lunch alone, especially since Jihoon’s class ended ten minutes earlier than his and the shorter boy had taken it upon himself to wait outside Seungcheol’s class.

          “Yup,” Seungcheol nods, threading his hand into Jihoon’s. “That was the last class of the semester too, so I can come to your music festival and see you sing about me,” Seungcheol teases as Jihoon blushes. Jihoon uses his free hand to smack the older boy on the chest before they make their way outside.

          Smiling to himself, Seungcheol watches as Jihoon lets go of his hand (not before Jeonghan and Jisoo noticed and squealed together though) and walks towards their spot beside the tree. He thinks back to the final project he had just handed in, probably one of his greatest works, and remembers one picture in particular. The sixth, and final, photo he had taken and slipped into the portfolio right before he had to submit it was the one he had accidentally taken of Jihoon. It showcased his curiously amused face, leaning close to the lens, and his sparkling eyes. Written underneath were the final lyrics of Jihoon’s song. You are my twenties.


WOW. I am supposed to be working on other stories but I wrote this oneshot instead. Whoops.

I only included those of Seventeen that are of age since the setting was a university. Plus, it’s an oneshot and introducing all THIRTEEN members would take YEARS.

Also yes, I did use 20 by Seventeen as the song Jihoon writes. I really love that song so much, the lyrics and so cute and meaningful. I also might have a headcanon that Jihoon wrote the song for Seungcheol but that’s just my fangirl mind. I also have a headcanon that Jihoon would run the relationship because Seungcheol just adores the shortie but we all know who tops ehehehe.

Anyways, the prompt was thought up by me while I was in the car. I’ve been wanting to write more oneshots lately and I’m thinking of starting a Seventeen oneshot collection (I had a chaptered fic planned but I’m not going to post that until I finish one of my already started fics) but I have no prompts or inspirations. SO. If you have any ideas or ships you want me to write send me a personal message and I’ll try to write it? Something like the prompt I had, a scenario and a ship, or you can send me your OC’s/make it a reader x member fic. Whatever is fine. Even if you send me a member and a word I’ll try to write something. I just want to practice my creativity.

Once again, thanks for reading and I do not own anything in this story other than the idea and plot, any similarities to other works of fiction are purely coincidental or have been used as sources of inspiration. Please do not repost this anywhere without my permission; plagiarism isn’t nice!

Hope you’re smiling!

~ Alateni