It Shouldn't Have Happened

One Shot Parade 2 : Jung Eunji in A Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

it shouldn't have happened

 

One night in a not-so-busy café a foursome best friends were gathering.

 

There are four, two males and two females, they have been friends since ages, being neighbors even before they were born, school mates since the first grade, and even when they aren’t in same program they are still studying in a same college.

The first male is namely Min Yoongi, the oldest by birth date. Short red hair, average height, a gamer, but always makes the rest envious by his always good grade. “I’m a gamer, but I never forget to finish my work, guys,” he always says. A next to be dependable engineer, a sassy guy yet sometimes mess up things with sudden nerve, he has manner actually, a can-possibly-be perfect boyfriend—if only he has a girlfriend. “I’ll date just Skyrim,” he says desperately one day.

Sitting across him is Yoon Bomi, brunette shoulder length hair, slim body, good sense of making people look fabulous. A quite famous designer, at least she has name throughout the campus. People often come to her for advice, mostly female. Bright personality, get along easily, yet take down easily too by men. “He cheats on me,” is quite often heard from her lips. A mood controller in the group.

Next to her is Jung Daehyun. Short hair dyed in dark brown. The male version of Yoon Bomi, good body, nice personality, have so much energy, and he’s the speaker of the group. Owns a signature killing smile. And everybody’s boyfriend, no, not a player, just simply loved by women. From his handsome look people would think he has no brain, yet technically he’s a soon to be doctor, (well, doctor has brain, right?).

A smile appears on his lips when he sees the person in front of him cursing.

“What is it Jung?”

Without ditching her book she responds, “nothing,” a sigh follows before she lifts her chin and gazes at him, “ just another cliché thing.”

That’s Jung Eunji, nope, not Daehyun’s sister, or cousin, or relative. They just have a same surname without any practical reason. She’s a writer, a dream to be professional writer. Studying English and currently looking for scholarship for her future. Long dark brown wavy hair and petite figure, not so petite though, yet she’s surely the smallest one in the group. Oh, she doesn’t smile a lot but when she does people would feel brightened right after. She has that look like sunshine every time she smiles.

And that smile is always Daehyun’s obstacle. Yes, she’s Jung Daehyun’s forever crush. The reason why this guy always fails in his romantic relationship.

It’s not that Daehyun has no gut to ask her out. It isn’t because of their friendship issue too. It’s just simply because,

“Don’t you guys think love at the first sight is a non-sense?” she says as she finally puts down her book.  “It is like, you just care about look. Oh, you handsome, I think I like you,” she continues, and soon getting her friends’ attention.

“Love… are we seriously talking about this now?” Yoongi follows after he puts down his phone.

“What? What’s wrong with talking about how doesn’t make sense it sounds?”

Bomi chuckles hearing the random topic Eunji picks today. She sips her drink before gazing at her best friend, “but what’s wrong with liking someone because of his look?”

“True, love comes from eyes, Ji,” Yoongi adds. “You know, I can kill to date Suzy Miss A.”

Eunji scoffs, “Min Yoongi, that’s not love.”

“Well, love will follow,” he laughs.

Giving up, Eunji gazes at Daehyun, “what do you think Dae?” her eyes asks for a help.

Daehyun stays silent for a brief moment, scratching his chin he acts as if considering her opinion. But then his laugh breaks, “yes, I think I can kill to date Suzy Miss A.”

Bomi and Yoongi follow the laughter, Eunji is not happy, but then looking at how stupid her friends laugh she cannot be affected. She joins them.

“Maybe I will do that too to date Milles Teller.”

“See?”

“To date,” Eunji emphasized, “it’s still not love, um, yet.” She looks at Yoongi after, “just like you said Yoongi-ah, love will follow. So, it’s still not love at the first sight, right?” her smirk lifts.

“Seriously, Ji?”

“I won,” her smirk goes longer, forming a satisfied line.

Bomi and Daehyun cannot help but burst into laughter again.

“Ok, so what’s another love that you think doesn’t make sense again?” Yoongi challenges her.

“Um,” she pauses. Then looking at the glass wall next to her, thinking. “I think,” when she returns to Yoongi’s gaze she replies, “when you love your best friend.”

“Wow!” Daehyun is definitely flustered. His chuckle comes out, the un-get-it chuckle, “what do you mean?”

Taken aback by Daehyun’s reaction, Eunji studies his friend’s eyes. Daehyun is not happy with her words, she notes that.

“I don’t think it’s love when you said you love your best friend,” she begins, “if it’s your best friend, it’s more like, I don’t know, a friendship feeling, sort of,” she reasons, yet sounds more like a failure. “You care about her, you take care of her, and it becomes routine, how can you name that feeling as love? It’s just, routine.”

“But everyone can fall for anyone, Eunji,” Bomi follows, “though, I agree to not date your best friend.”

“Why?” Yoongi voices out.

“Won’t it be awkward if you cannot make it last long, and end up breaking up? It’s shame, right?”

Leaning backward, Yoongi smirks, being defeated that easily, “Well, I… agree.”

“But it’s not about dating, right, Eunji?” Daehyun cuts, his eyes still on Eunji’s, “it’s about the love. I believe it’s still count as love even when it’s your best friend.”

Taken aback again, Eunji’s not pretty ready for this, “But, it’s—”

“—when you love someone, you can differentiate that feeling to others. Love is not just affection, you know it, it’s not just about taking ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter