Final

Of Rain and Bucket Hats
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was a cloudy Friday night, about 9:30 pm. From news reports, the weatherman said that it was supposed to start storming later. Mingyu didn't want it to rain because that meant he'd have to walk back to the dorm and get soaking wet. He didn't have his umbrella because he let Jeonghan borrow it when he complained about not wanting to get his hair wet. 

Mingyu had a feeling that Wonwoo didn't have an umbrella that they could use either. Vernon and Seungcheol left the practice room early to go back home and because he didn't want to be left alone, Wonwoo begged him to stay there with him as he finished writing the last of his lyrics on his laptop. Mingyu couldn't blame Wonwoo for wanting him to stay though. The practice room was kind of creepy late at night. 

"Mingyu," 

Mingyu turned when he heard Wonwoo's deep voice echo through the practice room, drawing him from his thoughts. Mingyu moved his eyes from the window he had been staring out of, landing on the black haired, sweater wearing boy. 

"Come read my lyrics." Wonwoo said as he lifted his hand, which was effectively covered with the sleeve of his sweater.

Wonwoo did something that the whole group about called "sweater paws". Wonwoo claimed that he only did it because his hands got cold easily, but Mingyu had a feeling that Wonwoo just enjoyed acting cute. Honestly, Mingyu couldn't lie. Wonwoo was adorable when he had sweater paws.

"I'll be right there." Mingyu said with a nod as he stood from his spot on the floor. In his hand, Mingyu was holding a cup of coffee that Seungcheol had made him earlier. Now, it was cold, but Mingyu was still enjoying it, oddly enough. His cup was about half empty, but he didn't want to drink the rest.

After taking a good stretch, Mingyu began walking over to where Wonwoo was sitting.

Joining Wonwoo on the couch, Mingyu flopped down next to him with a cheerful smile. He watched as Wonwoo turned his laptop so he could see the screen easier. Mingyu leaned in, resting his arm around Wonwoo's shoulders nonchalantly.

"Do you want the rest of my coffee?" Mingyu asked as he held out his cup with his free hand. 

Mingyu laughed when he saw Wonwoo crinkle his nose and shake his head. He'd take that as a no. Mingyu set the cup on the table before looking to the computer screen. Wonwoo always wrote his lyrics on a word document program so if something was to happen, he wouldn't lose his work. It auto-saved every five minutes, which was very helpful.

"You wrote these yourself?" Mingyu asked, pointing and gently tapping the screen with his fingernail.

Wonwoo proudly nodded before pausing, slowing down his head movements.

"Well, Vernon helped with the English lines." Wonwoo said with a shrug. 

"It looks good." Mingyu chuckled as he read the lyrics to Wonwoo's rap. "Do you like it?"

Wonwoo yawned, and when Mingyu looked up, he could see the older boy rubbing his face sleepily with his pawed sweater hands. 

"I'll work on it tomorrow but I like it so far, yeah."

Closing his laptop, Wonwoo scooted forward, setting it down on the coffee table. Mingyu reached over and grabbed the charger, plugging it in so the battery could recharge overnight. 

"Do you want to go home now?" Wonwoo asked, and Mingyu could practically see how tired Wonwoo was. It even looked like he was having trouble keeping his eyes open!

Mingyu was about to answer, mouth opening, until the lights suddenly flickered. He stayed quiet, jumping when a loud crack of thunder boomed from outside. 

Right after the loud thunder, Mingyu could hear heavy rain beginning to patter on the roof. 

What perfect timing. 

Mingyu was fairly surprised that Wonwoo didn't seem bothered by the incoming thunderstorm, but then again, not much bothered Wonwoo. He was a pretty laid back guy and that was one of the reasons why Mingyu loved him so much. 

Mingyu on the other hand, hated thunderstorms. Thunder scared him, and lightning was horrifying. He didn't mind light sprinkles of rain, but it was coming down in buckets. If they stepped outside now, they'd both get soaked to the bone and then probably zapped by electricity. 

Mingyu quietly sighed. He didn't want to die.

"Should we just stay here and wait for it to stop?" Mingyu quietly asked, his eyes darting to Wonwoo, giving him a worried stare.

Wonwoo had already gotten up from the couch and was now walking to the practice room exit door. He only turned around for a second, and that was after realizing he left his hat on the coffee table. Humming lightly to himself, Wonwoo strolled back to the table and picked up his hat. 

"Wonwoo?" Mingyu asked, standing up from the couch as he watched Wonwoo. Wonwoo probably didn't hear him the first time, as he had been in his own little world. 

"Don't worry, Mingyu." Wonwoo murmured, a sweet smile playing his lips. "I'll protect you."

Mingyu jumped again as another loud crack of thunder exploded outside. Was Wonwoo crazy? Did he not hear all of the thunder going on outside? There was no way they'd be able to safely walk all the way back to the dorm! 

Mingyu looked out the window. It was raining so hard that it was nearly impossible to see anything.

"But Wonwoo-" 

Mingyu stopped short when he felt Wonwoo place his galaxy print bucket hat on his head. He cursed Vernon for getting Wonwoo into bucket hats. Mingyu despised them, he thought that they looked so dumb. He wanted to take all of their bucket hats and throw them in the garbage, but he'd never actually do that. 

Mingyu knew how heartbroken Vernon would be if he got rid of his hats. Wonwoo probably wouldn't care too much, but he couldn't do such a mean thing to him.

Together, Vernon and Wonwoo probably had over twenty bucket hats, each with different patterns. Their favorite patterns were the galaxy print ones, but one of Wonwoo's cherished ones had skulls as the pattern. 

However, Mingyu felt a blush coming to his cheeks when Wonwoo put the hat on his head. Wonwoo loved his hats and didn't let anyone wear or touch them, with the exception of Vernon since they collected the hats together, so having Wonwoo share with him was special. 

Making

Please log in to read the full chapter